Card Factory Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands18 July 2018
The actual job itself is very straight forward and easy to do.
Management would put you down for shifts without telling you after already giving you your hours for the week so in that case they are unprofessional.
Fun Place To Work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear17 July 2018
This was a Christmas temp job but like the others a fun place to work, the people where friendly and helpful and it wasn't far to travel. People were always willing to help in anyway they could.
Pros
Not far to travel
Cons
Christmas temp
Never expect to finish on time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire16 July 2018
Enjoyed my time working at the card factory, really nice employees but that is about it. Was busy all the time, which I enjoyed but at times there wasnt enough help to reduce the queues, Pay was ridiculous for the amount of work that was expected from you, never was able to go home on time after my shift finished was always expected to stay unpaid for up to 45 mistunes to in hour on some occasions nearly 2 hours, while the tills where being cashed up at the end of the day. 30 minutes for break if you work a full day, which sometimes you never got a chance to eat because it took that long to get your food unless you take a pack lunch.
Cons
pay and never expect to finish shift on time
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 July 2018
The other employers were lovely to work with and made me feel very much at home.
I always had a laugh, was a very upbeat place of work.
enjoyed it very much.
only issue was when my contract ended I wasn't given much notice.
Pros
happy workplace
Cons
communication in the workplace
Poor pay for the amount of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham8 July 2018
Stay away the pay is awful and your worked like animals very hard work near Christmas it’s awful definitely not worth the stress, the pay is nowhere near enough for how hard you have to work, the hours do mean you can plan a lifestyle but you’ll be too
Tiered too do anything
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Hard manual labour
Good fun
Retail assistant/Till Handler (Former Employee) –  Plympton30 June 2018
My time at card factory was fun, but i was a lot younger.
I loved who i worked with the management were great but its not a job for me now. The job gave me a lot of skills i have used and continue to use.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
heavy lifting up flights of stairs
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Street, Somerset28 June 2018
Whilst working for this company I had a lot of fun and interesting times a typical day would be sorting out deliveries serving the general public, the hardest part of this kind of retail establishment are when promotional changes happened which means working longer hours but everyone chips in to help out and we always got praised for what work we have done. highly recommend this company
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours when promo change
Fast paced company
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham27 June 2018
Very fast paced company to work for especially during seasonal times sometimes get shipped out to other stores which gives you an insight of how other managers run their stores
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ripley26 June 2018
A typical day at work for me would be to serve customers, meet the needs of others, handle money, fill/tidy the card racks, fill product and sweep/mop the floor so the shop is presentable for the next day.

Nothing about working at Card Factory is hard.
I enjoy working with the people I work with and I enjoy helping others to meet their needs.
Stressful place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guildford26 June 2018
I have never wanted to leave a job as much as i did when i started at card factory.

The manager and assistant manager were constantly rude to me, and I wasn't even trained properly to be a supervisor and was told that I would be doing my first un-trained shift on a Sunday, and when another member of the team was asked to make sure I was cashing up correctly at the end of the day, the member of staff was then told off for helping me.

The shop was always in a mess as was the stock room, canteen, the managers office and the staff toilet always smelt nasty

I booked a Sunday off as it was a family members birthday and the manager declined to let me have the day off.

I've never felt like I fitted in at card factory.
Cons
No training
Great place to work, great management and lovely staff.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fishponds, Bristol22 June 2018
Serving customers, filling shelves, blowing up balloons and tidying cards.
I learnt how to blow up balloons such as helium and latex.
Great management.
Big queues.
Serving customers and blowing up balloons.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Short shifts
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme21 June 2018
During my job at the card factory I carried out customer service jobs such as working on the tills. The hardest part of the job was that there was a lot of demand as there was few workers and many customers over the busy christmas period which often meant that customers were unhappy
Pros
good hours
Cons
bad organisation
It's flexible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston18 June 2018
If you're a student this' good. Work hours are really flexible and can bend around what else you have going on in life. It's a pretty chill workplace when it isn't Christmas. However, management and training is awful. So many things I wasn't taught that I had to learn from coworkers that management should've told me.
Pros
Flexible, chill environment
Cons
Lack of communication
Rewarding experinece
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 June 2018
This job was a great experience and taught me some major key skills to use in the future, although there was a few cons to the job such as long hours, busy days, customer complaints etc. there were also many advantages such as meeting new people everyday and helping people. this job taught how to be patient and remain calm even in the most chaotic of times.
enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clevedon, Somerset11 June 2018
i enjoyed working at card factory, i was well respected as a person and a manager, rota was always completed on time and i was able to have a work life balance
busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester10 June 2018
setting up the store ready for customers to come a shop, management always made you feel on edge or that you hadn't done enough at any given point, workplace culture wasn't a very nice one as staff would easily turn on one another
Easy job, bad management
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 June 2018
I worked at the card factory for a few months over the Christmas period. It was good in terms of how easy it was, it's not brain surgery. I didn't dread going in, everyone got on well and the customers were fine.

The only bad parts were the management and the pay. The management was awful because the manager and assistant manager would always go out for a cigarette, 3 or 4 times during my shift and for about 15/20 minutes at a time. I was left in charge of the shop all on my own, and if a customer needed a refund or to speak to a manager I'd have to make them wait 20 minutes for the manager to come back from their cigarette to sort it.

At the end of each shift you had to sweep the floors and tidy the cards, which you didn't get paid for. If the tills were wrong when the managers were cashing up then you'd have to stay even longer. My shifts ended at 8pm and I always ended up leaving at 9/9:30pm and never got paid the extra hour/hour and a half. The pay was really low for minimum wage and my age.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
A lot of unpaid hours, bad management
Job ok Management poor
Sales Colleague (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys7 June 2018
Seems same looking at other reviews, the job is ok but it depends on which branch you work at and how the management is. Store colleagues mixed, some ok and nice to work with but some were favorites of Manager and had a chip on their shoulder because they were treated better. Too much stock of some items, hard to store away where expected due to poor stock rotation and stock control. Learned how to use a till. Fast staff turnaround at this branch.
Unprofessional workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex5 June 2018
Unequal treatment of employees
Hectic atmosphere
My details for payment weren't taken and as I result I was never paid for a month's work
I was given rude treatment when I decided to leave
They weren't accommodating to my college schedule
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Unfair treatment
Terrible manager
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon5 June 2018
pay was low only £4.06 an hour for 16 year old and managers and other staff would treat you like dirt and expect you to work on the tills for 8 hours straight standing in one spot. nobody would help you on the tills when it became busy and customers look at you like dirt as well. overall terrible company to work for.
Pros
going home
Cons
going to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.