Card Factory Employee Reviews

Found 1,086 reviews matching the search See all 1,105 reviews
Good for gaining experience, that’s about it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East16 December 2018
Working here is good if you’re wanting retail experience but not really a career. Other store staff very friendly apart from the odd one, people at head office are a complete different story. They have unrealistic expectations, there was always issues with not enough stock when the shop had requested it but then we’d get penalised for not having it in if they came to visit. Breaks are shocking, work a 10 hour shift you’ll get one 30 minute break. The pay is just as bad and other staff often complained of being underpaid.
Issues with the more favourable staff got brushed under the carpet whereas if it were a temporary staff member for example they’d get full punishment.
Pros
The people, till experience
Cons
Minimum wage, minimum breaks, Head office treat you like dirt
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim12 December 2018
Staff and management where kind and helpful in teaching me how to use the till as well as helping with any other queries i had. Everyone worked as a team to help customers with anything they needed.
ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbridge, County Down11 December 2018
worked here for a little bit this year. liked the job, just didnt have enough hours to give me, needed more guarenteed hours. pay was minimum wage. manager was pretty cool, fun to work with, assistant manager was nice too but her breath would have knocked out half the street.
Pros
nice manager
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible
sales (Current Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down11 December 2018
Customers so rude, place always a mess, not enough hours, did not enjoy at all,
some staff nice but a lot of new ones like me so noone has a clue what to be doing
Pros
Cons
poor pay and hours
Crewe Store: Miserable place to work and terrible retail store
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Crewe4 December 2018
Want to be miserable, work here! Supervisors are working class, moronic, and horrible people. Overworked. Why do stores not have selfcheckouts in 2018
Pros
Cons
Terrible pay, horrible, poor working class managers who smoke
hard heavy work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear28 November 2018
a typical day would be serving customers, cashing up and arranging new plans for seasonal change over.
the hardest part of the job was stock taking and moving stock as the stock room was upstairs and it was very heavy work.
Pros
doing the plans for seasonal change over
Cons
heavy work
Enjoyed working here
Xmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Armagh, County Armagh26 November 2018
Very busy especially at xmas. I worked here as a temp and really enjoyed it. The manager was lovely, very friendly and approachable. Didn't think much of the assistant manager, she thought she was something. Got decent hours, pay could have been better but minimum wage is what it is.
Pros
Good Manager
Cons
Long Hours
Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn26 November 2018
Worked here briefly, good team to work with they were all lovely, Store Manager was brilliant to work for, very good at his job, made me feel part of the team. He left not long after i started prob due to the long hours and under appreciation. The manager that took over is well out of her depth, transferred from another store and hasnt a clue how to run a busy store. One minute we have loads of hours the next barely any, all the temps get the hours and we are promised we will get more but doesnt happen. Cant rely on hours, very poor in keeping staff
Pros
Cons
long hours, rubbish pay
Everyday is a different day!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands25 November 2018
Having worked in the company from sales assistant up to store manager over the space of 5 years, not one day has been the same as any other! The Greetings Card Retail industry is definitely not one to be undertaken lightly; the work can be hard physically and mentally, but under the right management, it can be one of the most enjoyable industries anyone can be in, especially with Card Factory!
When recruiting people, my approach has often been 'Is this person Card Factory or not?', as I strongly believe you must be a certain kind of character to perform well and contribute effectively in this company. I have seen many people come into the job thinking it will be a piece of cake and that it's 'only cards, how hard can it be?', and watched them leave the job after a couple of months because they simply cannot hack it. People who do not enjoy the job and have negative outlooks on the company simply aren't 'Card Factory'. You've either got it, or you haven't!
Pros
Family-feel atmosphere, Rewarding, Recognition, Progression
Cons
Challenging, Low Pay, Minimum Hours
Not the best place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Craigleith25 November 2018
I get paid minimum wage and the manager is always blaming me for stuff that wasn't even my fault. She mixes work like with personal life, fussing about a 50p coin that we gave to a customer with their change when she was really saving it for her husband who collects them. Safety is trash, the back fire exit is clocked off by cardboard boxes. The toilet is sometimes blocked off by boxes as well. Just in general not the best place to work. The manager also leaves the shop at some points to get herself lunch at the shops, leaving me in the store by myself.

The only good thing was that I was able to choose my hours.
Pros
Able to choose my hours.
Cons
Bad manager, bad health and safety, bad pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort William, Highland23 November 2018
Good place to work. Most of the staff are amazing to work with.
The pay however isn't that good and the hours are either really short and not worth coming in for or so long it never feels like it will end.
Cons
Pay isnt that good
Gained valuable managerial experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot Town22 November 2018
Learned to manage people, deal with difficult situations such as customer complaints. Learned vital time management skills. Physical part of the could be demanded especially around busy periods.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Long Hours
awful management and understaffed
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands22 November 2018
The manager had no idea how to make the rota for the staffs hours and was calling me on my days off to go in constantly. shop was that busy you couldn't have a break since it was poorly managed and understaffed. The management was a complete joke and i wouldn't be surprised if the manager got sacked.
Pros
Cons
shocking management, no breaks when busy, understaffed
Homophobic manager and horrific pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead, West Sussex21 November 2018
Don't work for the East Grinstead branch! My time there was abysmal. Called homophobic terms daily by my manager and screamed at for issues that were no fault of my own. Supervisor/assistant manager wage is disgustingly low and your not paid for overtime.
Pros
Cons
Management and pay
asst Manager job,, £8.04 an hour
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands18 November 2018
Very low wages for Asst Manager, long unsociable hours, for that pay rate, long queues, rude customers, very busy no tea break sometimes, going home putting your feet up
Pros
some low price cards and gifts
Cons
long queues, low pay
Til work, assisting customers, stock control (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford17 November 2018
Good atmosphere, friendly staff. They were very flexible with hours and good training provided. Felt like looked after well by management. Would recommend to anybody.
Not good place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craigleith15 November 2018
Not a good to work hours are terrible pay terrible my first pay was wrong still waiting to be paid. Management has not got a clue how to deal with staff.
Left in shop on my self most of my shift.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Short hours
Fun work place nice and easy to get on with people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire15 November 2018
From experience working for the company is very good a fun enviroment to work in close to where i live good flexibility of hours when wanted when normally asked
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Lack of hours
Very well organised and ample opportunities
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex15 November 2018
Amazing place to work... Very busy and VERY rushed off your feet but great for people who enjoy that ! There are always ample opportunities available to progress further and show your potential. Treated like family and everyone is welcomed in (temps) seasonal times are manic but all is very organized. Management are and supervisors are absolutely gems and treat everyone with respect. Full training is given in numerous tasks and everyone has the opportunity to do different tasks consistently so work does not get too repetitive... Only downside is the pay rate is not great at all and you don't feel like you get anything for what you do but all in all its a great little job and I wouldn't change a thing !
Pros
Opportunities avaliable
Cons
Rate of pay
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Spytty Newport9 November 2018
Although i have not worked in the shop for a long time, the store still shows interest in meeting peoples needs as well as helping them with any queries.
Pros
good team to work with
Cons
rate of pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Factory. Our community is ready to answer.