Capita PLC Employee Reviews for Disability Assessor

Found 41 reviews matching the search See all 2,477 reviews
Disability Assessor for 6 months
Disability Assessor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim16 October 2019
I started this job being aware of all the negative publicity but being a nurse for 33 years I felt it was a role where I could make a difference and give the customer a positive experience. The five weeks theoretical training with interactive scenarios using professional actors was fantastic. The trainers were so enthusiastic and a well rounded base to start our work in the clinic. The support continued with coaching and I always felt at any time I had a range if people I could contact for advice from those with more experience to my team manager. I appreciate the job is not for everyone and as well as health care expertise you need to be computer literate to deal with various packages used to assess and document reports.it is not fast paced but there are precise timings involved so you do need to be organised and conscientious.
clinicclinic.coachiclicontjnued
Forget your nursing experience!!
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff14 October 2019
This is a great job for a single person with no life! The working hours are unreasonably long, the management are not supportive in the least and as for the care and compassion you have as a nurse - forget it! The whole job is productivity led with little thought or respect for claimants or those assessing. Think long and hard before accepting a job here
Pros
PROS -fairly good salary with good benefits, clinic is conveniently situated for all travel needs, equipment supplied is of good quality, That's it!!
Cons
No support. Unreasonable goals to reach within the timescales demanded. NO job security, if your face doesnt fit - your out! Nursing skills and knowledge rendered irrelevant
Horrendous Company.
Disability Assessor Personal Independence Payment, to Present (Former Employee) –  Wrexham13 October 2019
If you don’t mind being physically & verbally abused or have the claimants stork you, then apply.
No work life balance. Contracted 3 days a week but work 60+ hours with no extra pay. Management have no managerial skills. They couldn’t careless about your safety as long as they hit their targets.
Don’t be attracted by the pay, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be!
Not a good company to work for no support
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  East Midlands7 August 2019
Had to work extra hour's on day's off to keep up with the amount of work they gave you. They had no empathy for people who had a disability, they push more and more onto you. Very very stressful
Pros
Cons
Working extra hour's unpaid to fit your workload in
Long hours required, inconsistent feedback
Disability assessor (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire4 August 2019
Very long hours required to complete assignments, average weekly hours 70-80 hours a week, spent Sunday preparing for Monday assessment sometimes upto 50 piece of evidence to review and document prior to assessment. inconsistent reviews of assessment due to various reviewers looking for different points, inconsistencies with level of details requiredrequired

poor work- life balance
Untrue work/life balance- takes its toll eventually. Avoid-flee-run
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire3 August 2019
I say AVOID, RUN and FLEE.
Training for the DA role is fantastic BUT it is not reflective of the actual job role.
Capita knows this job can have a detriment to your wellbeing and during training they encourage and inform new DA’s about a free counselling helpline for them and their families. What kind of Job will offer this pre-emptively unless they know the effect of this? They give the number to the DA’s during training which explains a lot.

Capita knows that most people are not cut out for this role. This is not because it is hard to master BUT they know it really does not offer what it promises. A sensible human being would not work under such conditions as truly there are better companies to work for with Real Work-Life balance right from the time you start the job. Believe me, I know as I have done my research on this.

Overall you will have no-life in this job role. Work-life balance is a myth – it comes once you’ve endured many years later when you work for QLS(quality learning support- or in audit or as a coach).

It will suit you if you like to be on your own and can dedicate yourself 100% into the role until you are approved which is usually in 6months time or longer with performance management.

Those who cherish having time for themselves such as going out with friends, explore hobbies, watch TV and not be working only and like to complete their work each day THEN this is not the job for you. This job will isolate you and pressure you so much it can affect your mental health functioning. I would say DO NOT BE TEMPTED with the MONEY. I have worked for
  more... agencies and have made TWICE that salary in a month and the best thing is when I got back home – I could relax far away from work.

If you want a breakdown of what I mean that there is no work-life balance then continue reading below.

In the role, you put in more hours than are advertised. They say your work is 8am-8pm but you are employed 37.5hrs a week so if you think about it “How does this work out?” Well, 8am-8pm works out to be 12hours a day and a week this works out to be 60hours meaning in theory you are doing 22.5hrs extra unpaid.

Now let's go to the REALITY- the work system opens at 6 am daily and shuts at 8 pm and it is open on weekends. This effectively is 14hour days which are typically what most new DAs put into getting reports written in terms of hours. Most new DAs have to work over the weekend too so they are effectively doing 84hours to 88hours a week extra unpaid.
The report writing takes on average 2hours per report to write it while sitting on a laptop. Most DAs see 4 clients in the clinic for 4 hours then travel home to complete reports which can take 2hours each for one report. Realistically and ergonomically NO-ONE can sit on a laptop for 8hours continuously + 4hours of clinic time and then travel back home. If you total this it works out to be 4hrs+30minutes +8hrs = 12&1/2 hours a day. Actual data shows 4hours clinic time + 30 minutes travel back home and write 4 reports for at least 2hrs each and with 2 breaks in between of 15minutes and not to mention food or toilet break which when Totalled it is 4hrs(clinic time)+ 30min(travel time)+4hrs( to write 2 reports)+15min(break from computer)+4hrs(write 2 more reports)+15min(break from computer) + food 30minutes = 13hours.
The above is just report writing.

Then we have prepping which is required 2 days before attending to visit a client. This can be 15minutes to over 1hour depending on the evidence provided. This took me at least 1 and 1/2 hours to fully prepare for each day. At times I prepared at least a week in advance so I am not always playing catch up and would use my day off (weekends) to prep. 13hours + 1&1/2 hours = 14&1/2 hours worked hours a day (IN A WEEK IT IS 72.5 hours worked which adds an extra 35hours unpaid.

Then each report goes through an audit review and is sent back with amendments which are often very tedious/critical and are graded U (unacceptable) to A grade and having been a Nurse for years it is very demoralising to get U grades. Without getting 5 A grades then you will not be approved and get the sack, this creates more tension.

Amendments are daily and usually, a DA has 3 days to send forth their reports and amendments need to be completed in 48hrs. This makes you have 4 reports and if you have 4 amendments back then it is 8 reports to deal with.
All Unrealistic.
AVOID-RUN-FLEE.
Relentless
DISABILITY ASSESSOR (Former Employee) –  Coventry4 June 2019
Good internal communication. Online training good. Computer on early morning and logging off late at night. Hardest part was the isolation and feeling of relentless amount of work. Best part was meeting people.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Long hours working well into the evening.
Miserable trap; some good friends made amongst absolute sharks
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim28 May 2019
I was briefly a DA - it is a job of extremes, with about 10% thriving on it and 90% being in the most miserable place mentally and emotionally they've ever been in their life.

Training is a little hard but fun, with a cohort starting at the same time. You make some friends, and it is paid - a good salary. 5 weeks easily passed.

There are essentially 3 variants of the job.
1) Paper-based, where someone's dependence is obvious, from records and medical notes. Boring, but easy money if you're IT literate.
2) Mainly clinic-based - you stay in clinic and people come to you. You listen to their tales and look for EVIDENCE of what they tell you. Their diagnosis is irrelevant in and of itself; independence, or specifically evidence of it, is what is assessed. This is not pleasant, basically because nearly everyone lies though their teeth to you and is clearly obvious, but you can bear it and write the report and be home before typical working hours would usually allow. HOWEVER very few areas allow you this - 90% are not this lucky.
3) Mainly (read, almost always) home visits. This is mental, physical, and emotional torture. The day is not 9-5pm. Read, 7:30am - 10pm to assess and submit reports. Some of reports will be returned to you by daily audit for 6 months (!), so next day you will have 7:30am-10pm PLUS amendments. Rinse and repeat. The actual assessment will be 5% people who ought never to have required an assessment, i.e. terminally ill or not compus mentis. >90% will be blatant, ill-informed liars who attempt to emotionally blackmail you - as a AHP, this is so,
  more... so obvious - not least when you meet these supposed 'invalids' playing tennis at a local club or out for a days' shopping... again, none of these clowns are informed enough to realise that clear EVIDENCE of DEPENDENCE is what is being assessed - diagnosis is completely and utterly irrelevent. Further, the audits will (apparently arbitrarily, though very occasionally logically) require you to change your report, and by default that will possibly change that person's award. You MUST do this, if audit demands it, to emphasise that a person was basically lying. IF someone gets a lower award than previously (which they will, it being PIP, not DLA, and therefore actually representative of how they are affected - i.e. not very) YOU are challenged, and complaints filed against, despite nearly always the decision reflecting the requirements of the audit, not your actual report. Despite attacks on these fronts, it remains that:
you have to tolerate an hour of a person's lying and aggression (in their home, usually rough and/or intimidating) 3-4 times a day, arrive home when hours ought to be finished, only to start approx 4-5 hours solid of typing, to have this rejected and returned, and ultimately a complaint filed against you when you finally get it submitted. This, considering what you are actually outputting is FACTUALLY CORRECT - the vast majority who are on PIP are neither entitled to it nor in need of it, and they are bitter when this is evidenced.
Of all the take-aways from this, it is the revelation of the nature of the clients that made me most miserable - a corporate, cold, 'you-are-expendable' management I get, considering they pay well, and it is nothing new. However, the truth-tellers (DA assessors) are those who suffer unbearably whilst liars (almost the entirety of the supposed dependents) are trod carefully around and either re-assessed with minimal difference or ignored.

TL:DR - management don't care a fig. Job is utter torture, unless you land on your feet with location. It is only those lucky few who hae a hope of progression. Clients are >90% verifiable, clinically and medically inconsistent, aggressive liars who will ensure you are complained against for telling the truth, so they get an extra £10 a week. This latter, and the >80 hour weeks means it's 100-1 you won't last 6 months.

What I learned: Most PIP dependents are liars. Most managers don't care.
Pros
Salary, some good friends who left same time as me
Cons
Aggressive lying clients, unreasonable management, physically impossible hours, mental health, poor equipment, no help
Varied and challenging
Disability Assessor (Current Employee) –  Derby and Nottingham14 January 2019
My role as a disability assessor means I can be working within the many clinics throughout my local area or within a 20 mile radius of my home, giving flexibility to my working pattern

There is a culture of positivity with an environment suited to those who relish the opportunities to develop and grow skills and knowledge alongside other professionals from varying backgrounds

I have always experienced a friendly atmosphere throughout all my engagements with colleagues and management, from the welcoming receptionists, through the other assessors, team managers and right up to the company executives

The hardest part of the job it the amount of effort and time needed to develop previous professional skills and knowledge to meet the challenge of a completely new role

The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition of your work and efforts, the supportive culture throughout the assessors and the variety of work and roles available
Pros
Growth and development opportunities
Cons
initially long work hours while developing into the new role
hard work but rewarding
disability assessor (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire11 January 2019
I wish I had stuck to my original decision to work part time . This is a rewarding job but is very hard work in the beginning while learning the skills and information required. However I was offered huge amounts of support and only wish I had been able to reduce my hours during my probation period ,I would have stayed and achieved my approval
Pros
working from home, huge staff discounts, support system
Cons
long hours, can overwhelm you
Enjoyable
Disability Assessor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim28 November 2018
I have worked as a DA for 3 years now and despite the bad press I take alot of pride in completing good fair assessments for the claimants.
I am office based and enjoy speaking with claimants to get as much information as possible to complete a fair assessment.
My manager is brilliant to work with and treats us with the utmost respect. She is always willing to listen and help.
The option to work from home suits family life and the salary is good.
The job isn't for everyone but it should not get the very negative press it gets.. Most DA's want to do their best for the claimants.
Pros
Good team work amd enjoyable work
Cons
Some issues with audit but again they have a job to do as well.
Avoid avoid
Disability assessor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands28 November 2018
Terrible company to work for, you end up working 14 hours a day 6 days a week. Management are not supportive and put constant pressure on you to reach targets so that they get their bonuses.
When it comes to staff bonuses they make any excuse they can to not pay it.
A disastrous decision
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim16 October 2018
Typical day at work is getting up super early, logging in to your computer (10 minutes), drive around country to assess people. First assessment either 8am or 9am. This involves about 60-90 minutes of listening to very sad, negative stories about how people are affected by health conditions which you need to record with lightning typing speed. You do this 4 times a day so will have finished assessments by 3pm or 4pm depending when you started and back at home by 4 or 5pm. Then you take 60-120 minutes to write each one up and send them in. These are then arbitrarily marked by audit who will ask you to make ridiculous random changes. If you can't work out how to please these guys with their regular shifting goalposts and rules you will be fired within a few months with little come back or compensation. It sucks.
Training goes on for weeks. It is intense but reasonably enjoyable. The worst thing about it is you can fail. And people do fail! Also, when you realise what the job entails, it's a bit demoralising.
Management is worst part of the job. They use banking and business models and their staff are numbers to them. A number that doesn't perform exactly how they want will be culled. They care little about the public and less about staff. They have regular culls of staff when there isn't enough work. they do not compensate you well.They give lip service to be caring but care not about your career or feelings. They care about profits and hitting targets.
Workplace culture is poor. It is fake and corporate.
Hardest part of the job is working all day on the same thing over
  more... and over again - it just can't be done in 8 hour day.
Most enjoyable part of job is being off at the weekend - although you will need to spend one half of those days off preparing for the week ahead.
Most people don't last 6 months and colleagues are leaving in droves.
Pros
Saturday off but not Sunday
Cons
Not what it says on the tin
Awful Job and an awful company to work for
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry16 April 2018
It sounded like a good idea at first. Only having to see the claimant once and writing up reports at home. Up to 38K pa. What could go wrong? Well... I should have known from the initial telephone interview that something wasn't right. The woman interviewing me was rude and blunt in manner. I felt like hanging up at one point but I didn't. Next big problem first day of training. I had received written confirmation that I had been offered a permanent full-time position. However the group were informed on day one of training that if they didn't pass the 5 week course they would have to leave the business. This created fear and uncertainty within the group from the start. At the completion of the course we found out they were serious in there threat and 5 people were dismissed by phone call from management. First week on the job managers inform those left that if they don't get 5 acceptable reports in a row they will be dismissed after completing 70 reports (this is about 2 months work). Oh I forgot to mention it takes an hour and a half at least to write up the reports so if you see four a day that is a 10 hour day excluding ant amendments you have to do for reports that were deemed unacceptable by the audit team and any preparation you have to do for the next day. So in total you're looking at a 12 hour day. The managers are non-clinical and have no idea about working as a health professional. When the job begins you have to submit all your report to something called QLS (quality learning support). They look at the report and decide if it's good enough to be submitted to the  more... DWP. They often send them back to you requesting that amendments be made which is very discouraging and demoralizing after a short while. It's easy to fall behind with the reports. At this point you will really regret leaving your last job however bad it was. The process of writing the reports also becomes very tedious and repetative before long. The support structure for disability assessors is flimsy at best. The coach will meet and observe you but this does not feel supportive. It feels more as if they're sizing you up for dismissal. There is a support line you can ring but this does not ease the feeling of remoteness an isolation of being a lone mobile worker doing a very difficult job. The kindness and caring of nurses is not appreciated in this job it is all about firing questions at the claimant and getting as much information as possible in the 45 minutes you have allocated with them. The managers have access to everything you do at work that is on computer and they don't ask if they can access it (your work related emails for instance). When you see the claimants they have to prove to you how disabled they are. It's like checking up on people in a prying way. The physical examinations can be uncomfortable or even painful for them but they feel under pressure to comply because they don't want to lose their benefits. It feels like quite a demeaning process to put them through. At this point as was I was scrambling around nursing agencies trying to get something else before they fired me I began to feel very ashamed of this job I was doing. Also some of the disability assessors seem to find favour soon receiving bonuses and more work while others do not with no explanation why. The mind numbing, boring, repetitive nature of the report writing, much of which done at home in your own time is one of the biggest drawbacks of this job. Overall Capita are a ruthless company who treat nurses as being a dispensible resource that can be hired and fired when it suits them. They do not care. Shame on them! They let me go the week before Christmas on the 18th of December 2017 to be precise. Not only did I not have a job they destroyed any confidence I once had in myself as a mental health nurse and was so depressed that I nearly had a nervous break down. Stay away from this company  less
Pros
The salary ( It is not worth the stress and hassle you have to put up with )
Cons
They tell you it is a 9-5 job Mon-Fri but that is far from the truth
Money not even better than NHS now
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland and Midlands21 March 2018
Typical day at work is tough assessment followed by long time writing a report, followed by agonising stress waiting for auditors to fail your report. Lots of finger pointing within the firm with very little effective guidance. Top down management culture with little room to progress and little job satisfaction. Morale is low and signs are it is getting lower. The biggest positive was that the wages were so superior to the NHS but now that the NHS is brining in really good pay rises the existing pay in Capita looks a lot less attractive now.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Very long hours, low morale, poor workplace environment
Varied and challenging
Disability Assessor (Current Employee) –  Derby and Nottingham16 March 2018

Pros
Growth and development opportunities
Cons
initially long work hours while developing into the new role
Difficult to complete required work in hours allocated.
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Midlands19 February 2018
This was an enjoyable job and much more fair and well trained than many reporters would lead people to believe however to do high level reports the time needed was more than was allocated for the working time.
Very inconsistent & unsupportive.
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire5 January 2018
I started my role as a DA over 6 months ago, initially it was hard to transisition from a care based role in the NHS to a more functional practical way of assessing someone's conditions. Out of 17 on our cohort there only remain 2 of is left. It can be extremely hard at first and many DA's have told me they often work from 8am to 9pm. On average you write 4 reports a day in clinic and 3/4 in community when home based. However I persevered and managed to find a structure that worked for me and I usually work an 8 hour day with doing 4 assessments and writing them up. I really enjoy the role and I'm really good at it, However the company itself are not supportive. The DWP implement new changes to the PIP assessment guide and no formal training has been given to account for these changes and you are just expected to get on with it, the initial 5 week training course does not prepare you at all for the actual role. They make last minute changes to your schedule giving you no time to prepare and prep the report ready for the assessment meaning the DA does not have prior knowledge of conditions and meaning the claimant lacks the quality they should be getting and also means the assessment can take much longer. The company does not value it's employees and are quick to get rid of good staff who just require a little more support in the report writing. They are so focussed on meeting targets and reaching deadlines they do not follow their own (supposed) values and value the staff working for them. I took a chance leaving the NHS as I was burnt out and needed a change. At first it was  more... a blessing and although a lot of people left and found the role very difficult and demanding I myself found the role quite easy. However gradually I have seen that the company is not supportive and does not value it's employees or claimants and wants targets and deadlines over quality and empathy of their staff and the claimants they assess.  less
Pros
No shift work
Cons
Unsupportive, target focussed
Worst job ever
Disability Assessor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 December 2017
The management were awful. The disability assessors were really friendly and helpful. You work all the hours god gives. And they are still not satisfied. I lost all confidence with this job. Please do not give your jobs up to go to this company.
Pros
Cons
Very long hours
Large company, great support from colleagues
Disability assessor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Vallys and the Vale4 July 2017
A good opportunity to assess patents with such diverse needs and conditions.

Great support from colleagues however such a high turnover of management support that respect was pretty poor.

Typical routine is too prepare for the cases for the next day by accessing their details on the secure DWP website, transferring this information to the report, meeting the claimant, taking a history of their conditions, medications and social and occupational history.

Then carrying out musculoskeletal, mental state and observational assessment.

Taking the key information and compiling a report to sent to the DWP to make a decision on their level of need.
Pros
Good salary, freedom to plan your own time
Cons
Poor management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capita PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Capita PLC Reviews by Location