Canon

Canon Employee Reviews

United Kingdom78 reviews
I worked in a great team and there are many great people around the business. Although it's a Japanese company with many Japanese expats at all levels of the organisation, the European head office was run mostly in a western style. The office is a bit outside London, not far from Heathrow, so can be a pain to reach but will be better when they finish Cross Rail. Good company with decent benefits and work-life balance.
Pros
Benefits, pension, bonus, work style if you can be patient and understanding of Japanese culture
Cons
Politics, commute from London, Quality of management was highly variable, Salaries were often a point of contention
After the worlds longest and most thorough interview/indurance process I have ever experienced (4 hours) I was excited to start my career at Canon. Sadly it soon became apparent that the atmosphere was a mix of being back at Secondary school and an episode of Hollyoaks.
Very obvious there are cliques at this company, lots of people dating and playing favourites which created an immature working atmosphere. It is definitely a company where your face has to fit to be accepted here. There is however room to progress if you can stand the strange environment that is when they are not doing the annual redundancy sweep!
Pros
Benefits and Progression
Cons
Immature working environment
Amazing company to work for, great work life balance and salary was very competitive, I would recommend anyone working for Canon UK, teh management are fair the training and surport to progress in your job is very good.
ok to work for usual jobs to do as an engineer , installs tech repairs workshop duties, driving around the country repairing office equipment and installs.
a minimum of 4 calls a day and using mobiles to close down calls.

getting home late most of the days but it was a job and we didn't have health and safety those days so we did as we were asked and got on with it
Canon has lost its way in recent times, there is no clear vision currently. There have been frequent restructures, so it is a volatile environment to work in. Processes and systems are outdated and not fit for purpose. The company offers good benefits and the people are nice. True flexible working is still to be realised.
Due to outsourcing & relocation. Fast paced supply chain within Business Operations. Japanese owned International blue chip company selling printers and cameras to the public and businesses.
Canon is generally a good place to work, changes in technology has meant dramatic changes to Canons Markets over the last 5-10 years, the company has not always led from the front in managing these changes and so at times it has been a tough environment to work in, I expect this to continue for some time to come. I feel employees are treated fairly and progression with the right attitude is possible. Pay is relatively low though the benefits package is good
Pros
Good Homelife Balance, treated fairly, fiscally responsible.
Cons
Pay relatively low, tough market conditions.
Enjoyed the role and the team I was with. It was always interesting and there were always things to learn. We are all being made redundant though and the role is being moved abroad so I wouldn't recommend Canon based on that.
The Company is in the process of moving to Stockley Park as part of a part restructure . he majority of staff are not going due to the location.. Work is also being outsources abroad Canon's behaviour over this change has not been good at all and the treatment of staff has been demoralising
Always ensuring the work that is set is done and to a higher expectation, generally working face to face with costumers making sure I’m always very presentable
I thin the biggest problem with Canon Watford is it has the look of the sort of place you would really want to work for, but when you do the stitching on the expensive suit is shoddy. Not a great management and admin culture, clunk/dosen't really work and that seriously slows things down across the board.
From the start the interview process was very protracted taking a staggering 7 weeks from start to finish (see above about admin)

A good example of the mangement culture is HR. Have a problem that they need to resolve? don't bother, they will just tow the company line, even at the expense of breaking the law. They tried this in the summer of 2016 and when the employee went to the "law" over the issue, he was offered a cash settlement on the quiet. Not what i expected of such a large "respected" company and that is not an un common incident.

The repair department is in efficiently managed, many simple procedures could be put in place but are unlikely to be. I suggested one and the manager took credit for it, nice bloke!

The service department are always under pressure, generally understaffed and have a very high turnover of staff. The camera repair technician position generally comes around every year as does the first line sorters position.

Breaks are often missed because of the pressure put on employees to meet targets
Pros
can buy extra hols canteen relatively clean environment
Cons
management admin hr work target pressure
Good work/life balance
respectful culture

thoughtful leadership

low level of ambition

not enough tangible innovations

investment strategy not in line with core activities
A work place where we learn new technologies and methods to suit the business and flexible work life balance providing comfort to succeed in both environments
I spent the best part of my sales career working for Canon UK Ltd and enjoyed every moment of it and learnt many aspects of sales working in a fast moving company and environment.
I have since ran my own business and am now working as a consultant but would like to offer my experience to a new company.
Canon are an inclusive and fun employer. There is always time to smile even while under extreme pressure. It's people that make a company and from Senior management to the support staff everyone cares and understands the direction and goal.
A great organisation to work for.
i love working here unfortunately canon will be close next year forever ,
very friendly , of course a great Chef (ME) and how we say happy chef happy manager happy working invoriment
Good culture in workplace with a relaxed but hardworking feel. Workload is high, which makes it challenging, however can be quite tiring by the end of the week.
Apart from a few long suffering nice people this place was absolutely AWFUL in every way
Pros
Nope
Cons
The rest, especially the management
a typical day at work was fun and gave different challenges most days.
I learned to use many online systems and learned what parts are on the drawings to extract information

Management within the area I worked was very relaxed

Hardest part of the job was getting help when needed

Most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships built with various people within the company
Pros
very relaxed
Cons
not very professional in the specific area I worked
Canon has been delivering leading edge imaging technologies to customers for more than 70 years and are a world leader in consumer and business imaging solutions
Good company to work for, can be quite slow to make decisions, especially given the challenging market conditions, I like the Japanese ethos. Structure is very flat making it hard to progress.