Cancer Research UK

Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,398 reviews
Found 1,398 reviews matching the search
Friendly and fun
A great place to work as a volunteer. The atmosphere was relaxed and the management was friendly. Gained a lot of skills from working here and am very grateful for the experience
Pros
Friendly
Rewarding job , but hard work
Good fun at the Race for Life events, but very physically tiring. Very early starts to set up, then on your feet all day before packing away some 9 hours later.
Always a fantastic atmosphere, but hard work
Enjoyable
Very relaxed and fun attitude. And I thoroughly enjoyed my time there management there were extremely helpful and kind and always had something to talk about.
Graet place to work
It's a good place to work and job security is great, but there are issues with communication. Thore are also frequent changes in management and staff making everyday work very hard.
The people who worked there, as in the volunteers and the store manager were fabulous.
A typical day involves sorting through donations that have come in either by donations directly from local people who come instore, or also wae can get deliveries of donations from a central warehouse

For the first few months things were fabulous, we were working fabulously as a team, I then stepped up and ran the store whilst the store manager was away. At first things were ok, I was being supported by a wonderful deputy area manager I was told that i was doing an amazing job, who then left and this is when things went downhill.

The person who took over the deputy area manager role, had a mission to get rid of both myself and the store manager. This is because our faces didn't fit with theirs. i has a review and was told that I was not doing a good job and that I needed to improve or I would be let go.Obviously this contradicts what I was told when I in charge of the store, therefore they were doing what they could to get rid of me because my face didn't fit.

We were acccused of stealing money from the safe, they made me ans my manager both suspicious of each other, however there was another person who had acceess to the safe, and she was alone in the office at the time the money went missing.

I did quit, and the store was left without a manager or deputy manager and therefore the store was closed for weeks as they had no cover. They shot themslves in the foot there.

Do not work for any CRUK stores in the south East of England, especially in Berkshire. If your face doesn't fit you wont last long.
Productive, Fast Paced and Surprisingly Corporate
A typical day varies with a great mix of operational and strategic challenges. Teams are committed, loyal and extremely passionate about the cause. The energy is infectious. It's a great premises, with Stratford becoming quite trendy as local areas go.
I started as a volunteer and progressed to Assistant Shop Manager
Working for CRUK is very rewarding we have a wonderful team of Volunteers. The work is variable and no 2 hours are the same. You need to be a team player as well as being able to work on your own.
HArdwork and Stressfull
The amount of daily work is phenomenal, this role is more physical than mental and you will be on your feet for the majority of your day. Paperwork is also a major part of this role with volunteer training.
Unpleasant Management
Unfortunately, the managers are very unprofessional and very ‘gossip-y’ revolved. It is an extremely ‘two faced environment’ and highly stressful because of that. The managers tend to exaggerate the truth of certain situations and can even lie. You are also not told that half of the work is voluntary and not paid for.
Enaging and relaxed workplace
I have started volunteering at cancer research shortly into my summer holiday after my exams. I would be in charge of a numerous number of tasks whilst working every weekend for 2 hours. I would be in charge of taking care of stock such as DVDs. this would consist of me taking out old DVDs(determined by their sell-by date) and replacing them with new ones which I would have already tagged, priced and sealed. I would occasionally be in charge of the shop floor and helping with customers by calling the seniors to deal with their purchases
Asistenta
Muy buena. Hay mucho compañerismo y solidaridad por parte del vecindario cercano.
working for a good cause
Although this is a good cause, it doesn't offer a good career progression scheme or a good salary for what is expected in the role.
It's an easy leg up onto the management ladder.
Good
Good to work there met new people and gained skills needed in later life glad I got the chance to
Volunteer with so many wonderful people even got to work on the till
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not very structured
Productive and fun volunteering oppurtunity
Really enjoyed my time here, everyone working there was lovely and i learned how to use a till and to use a pricing gun. They were very trusting and i loved volunteering here, highly recommend to anyone.
Target driven with no excuses when it's not met.
If you make your targets they will keep increasing them. They offer zero support and all you have to work with is donated second hand goods. The volunteers are the lifeblood of the business however they are unpaid so can not be relied upon like paid staff. Their default if you are not able to make target is that you don't care enough about people with cancer. Theexpectations are totally unreasonable and they treat managers like disposable
Ambiente rilassante
Ho svolto questa esperienza di volontariato per poter stare più possibile a contatto con gente che parlasse una lingua diversa dalla mia.
Mi ha fatto inoltre, vedere un mondo diverso da quello di cui ho sempre fatto parte facendomi diventare una persona di una mentalità più aperta.
Could of done better
It was slow at time but we made it work and some days a would bring in my own dinners and the next day they half of they have gone missing because someone has taken and i dont know who
Pros
It was relaxing
Cons
Not getting paid
Good experience
It was really good working has a volunteer and I got on with everyone and if I could I would go back 1 day a week but at minute I can't with looking after my son
Engaging and Rewarding work
It was so much fun to just talk to people about such an important cause and really make a difference. I really stepped out of my comfort zone and would do it again. People were nicer than I thought they would be, and it made my whole year.
Volunteer
Daily work was working on the till and serving the public, refilling stock on the shop floor , I would have to sort stock out and price up ready to go out
Great
I had fun working with cancer researched it really helped me gain many skills which I will be using in the future, working in teams with lovely people
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cancer Research UK. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3