Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews

Cancer Research
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire14 August 2018
Working for Cancer Research wasn't too bad, I was basically the muscle taking in new stock and replenishing shelves etc. The job ended abruptly when I missed 2 days without notice due to personal home problems.
Great place to work, pity about some of management
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Largs14 August 2018
Worked here for a few months, enjoyed every minute of it until area and a different store manager got involed. Had a great laugh with customers and some of the staff but certain one's who have now left. Area aren't very dreadful when you do them favours for their store managers while away on meetings
Pros
Great fun to work in
Cons
management ungreatful for extra favours
lovely environment
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire7 August 2018
although no financial benefit, extremely morally rewarding and surrounded by lovely and friendly staff and customers. thoroughly enjoyed being part of a team and doing something nice
Rewarding
Ongoing volunteering at my local (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2018
I worked at Cancer Research every Sunday for around 3 years. The manager was great and it was a very fun atmosphere to help out in. Chatting to customers and other staff members was the best part of the experience
A nice place.
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim2 August 2018
I just volunteered here. It was good. Nice manager but she left and her temp-replacement was really rude but I only met the temp once. It was just a do when you can type of thing.
Productive and fun work place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea1 August 2018
Lovely working environment, everyone is always so pleasant and make you feel entirely welcome. No pressure to cover hours, pleasant staff and the position makes you feel like you have achieved something.
Fun enjoyable place to work
Sunday supervisor and sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Lytham30 July 2018
Enjoy working with different people and meeting a variety of customers. The job role covers a variety of responsibilities. I work on a Sunday from 10am to 4pm
Friendly people good atmosphere
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent29 July 2018
My job was a volunteer based one so i didn't gain a salary making this a major con, but the work was for a good cause making me feel fulfilled after working a shift.
Pros
You're working for a great cause
Cons
Can be a bit slow
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Wickham, Greater London28 July 2018
You get to meet a wide range over people. I fully support the research they do. I needed to accept calls taking out administrative errands, for example, donation counts and delegating staff. Also, at Cancer Research UK, I undertook the role of a cashier, culling old stock, and re-pricing stock.
It was good
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth28 July 2018
I enjoyed working there. It suited me well and it was a shame it was only for the short term. The staff were very friendly. My job consisted of helping to keep the shop looking clean and tidy and providing basic levels of customer service.
productive and good working atmostphere
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London26 July 2018
Not a fast paced environment, well staffed and training given well. Learned how to deal with customers and to work on the till. Management was effective and the people there were friendly.
Lovely people always busy
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  North london24 July 2018
Cancer research UK was an interesting and meaningful role. everyone wants to make a difference from working in charity shops to bucket fundraising to regular donations.
Pros
Good staff, well organised
Productive and helpful working environement
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester22 July 2018
A typical day at work included serving customers at the Till, arranging products in the store and organising gift-aid and donated items. The working environment is very friendly with excellent team spirit.
great job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnet17 July 2018
many volunteers there who were young and old. i had a great managers she was lovely and helped me so much. the people are great, and the people are so nice.
Welcoming
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 July 2018
Repetitive work as the only options I got given was the shop floor and working in the back organising stock. The stock room was a total mess and not organised. However, the staff are truly friendly. You can meet volunteers or actual staff members, it definitely boosts your confidence and communication skill.
Pros
Gain sale assisant skills
Cons
Repetitive work
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Herne Bay, Kent11 July 2018
Organising books from A to Z.
Removing/adding expiry dates on clothing/other items.
Enjoyable workplace.
Discounts given.
I've learned how good it feels to help others.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
A lot to do
Pleasant work environment, excellent volunteering opportunities
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire11 July 2018
Whilst being a fun place to work, management staff being friendly if occasionally disorganised, and informal training being provided, there was often little to do, and training was not especially extensive, so oftentimes management staff had to be called on for help even with relatively simple matters
Cancer Reasearch
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 July 2018
I admired helping customers and cleaning the store but I barely learnt how to use the cash machine. I feel rewarded for working at a charity store because it's given me enough experience to work in a real store.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Limited access
Productive and Excellent.
Part-time Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chester8 July 2018
No Comments from me as I just started working there.

But I can say that the work culture is good and very kind and helping nature staff.

They helped me in understanding the billing concepts and TIL operations which are new to me U.K.
Productive workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wishaw, North Lanarkshire5 July 2018
The most enjoyable part was doing something good for charity and being able to mix with a range of different people. I learned to be tolerant of others and the best way to deal with customers. A typical day included making sure to store was presentable and the all the stock was in order, I also cleaned.
Pros
Flexible working hours