Canal & River Trust

Canal & River Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews
Very relaxed and friendly environment
Opportunities to learn new skills, challenging sometimes, work on your own pace and autonomously. Managers are very supportive and knowledgeable. Very traditional work environment and sometime competetive
Supportive colleagues, Relaxed working conditions, plenty of variety of duties, no two days were the same, approachable management, overall a great place to work.
good place to work made some good friends
working with boaters and fisher men and woman, as well as warkers and there dogs,keeping the water flowing at all times, keeping all users safe at all times.
Disappointing.
Unable to progress. Poor management culture.
Good team to work with, albeit poorly managed.

Good to work with the public, so good job satisfaction.
Good environment
Always varied work - a day is never the same. Working at various locations on the canal and always meeting new challenges on a daily basis.
Challenging and outdoor
Stressful
Poor leadership, poor management. Lack of basic understanding of needs of the staff.
There is lots of people that are employed with lack of knowledge of waterways and charity.
Pros
Good working hours, around 35.
Cons
Wasted money, wasted investments.
Canal and River Trust (WM)
Not all is as it seems. Lower Teir managment can be very good, it is definitley and interesting company to work for as there are so many different aspects to what each individual directorate does and how they operate, however there is undeniably a strange culture and the higher managment and its overall system raises some curious questions. Does not operate in the way you would expect an organisation of this kind, for all their banners and bells.
So glad I'm out of it!
Employing upper management to spout the propaganda of 'Making life better by Water'. It's a open sewer with diesel fumes from aged boats, a towpath full of dog mess & speeding cyclist all of which contribute nought.6800+ Days lost in 2018 to stress, depression! New mid managers from non related background whom know nothing of what is actually required to keep a canal operating. Stay away
Enjoyable
If you love being outdoors and alongside water and getting to meet new people each day then this is the job for you. A different location every day, that offers an abundance of wildlife to enjoy.
Uneducated Management
People on the floor seemed pleasant, polite and fun, as did others in the building.

Experiencing of their management was something else. They are of the selfish and ignorant kind; those who hide behind box ticking exercises, but have no awareness or capability of dealing with the reality of an issue - particularly sensitive issues - and instead act on cowardly impulses.

The CRT fail on other areas too so seeing fire-fighting/hearing of certain issues wasn't surprising.
Working with Volunteers
Nice to work with volunteers showing them how to give back to the landscape of the canals. Working in various weathers to restore the historic canals.
Don’t do it
Not what it appears to be at all. In winter this is the worst possible job you can imagine. Freezing standing in the same position trying to stop strangers is hardly my idea of fun.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Boring
good
there is so much I can say as to why I enjoyed my time at the company but I think the best reason that I would tell most people as to why I loved my time there so much was that...
Poor management /bullying supervisor
Worked for this company only to be told I was being given my notice. I questioned their poor workmanship and slow working practice that was my crime.

The supervisor had little practical experience, Constantly changed his mind and always did jobs back go front. He had a small clique around him who he gave the better jobs to. Embarrassing behaviour. These people wouldn't survive I. A real construction environment

He had a small clique
Pros
Working in nice areas.
Cons
Bullying, backstabbing supervisors with no real constructionskills or experience.
I wish i could go back and work for the trust
My time here was good enjoyed every aspect of the job and the jobs we were doing would have loved to be on full time but was only agency work the lads were a great bunch
Pros
Great job
Cons
None that i can think of
Looks can be deceiving
On the face of it, a great job in the open air meeting the public on behalf of a fantastic organisation. In reality, a poorly paid, mind numbing my boring job over ridiculously long hours allowing no family life, and no work between seasons with no promise of work during the following year unless you kissed the right backsides this year. Corrupt management pay lip service to protocol and bullying is rife.
Pros
Work environment is beautiful
Cons
11 hour days with little to do except hard labour
Safe and busy work
Good place to work, nice friendly team, never repetitive works, so always discovering new challenges.
Always meeting new peoples. And always updated with the new rules of Health and safety procedures.

Enjoyed my time at CRT.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Low wage
Easy money
Worked here as a seasonal operative tried to come up with new ideas and get involved with jobs cast aside because of being seasonal , the jobs were were silly with no real purpose , management were rude
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
No progression
Excellent company to work for
I cannot fault any aspect of working for the Canal & River Trust.
Every day is different, from handling customer calls to attending meetings.

A busy Regional office serving the West Midlands, parts of Worcestershire, Staffordshire and parts of Mid Wales
Pros
Fantastic location
Casual and fun
Welcoming environment. All safety aspects considered and relevant precautions put in place. Manageable workload, always provided with adequate training and equipment.
Would not return
Poor Inner London Salary, little chance of advancement or progress through the "pay-scale", management confused at the local level and estranged at the upper level, would not consider returning. The Annualised hours are also atrociously run, meaning more confusion.