Canal & River Trust Employee Reviews

Casual and fun
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  West Midlands3 September 2018
Welcoming environment. All safety aspects considered and relevant precautions put in place. Manageable workload, always provided with adequate training and equipment.
Would not return
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London5 July 2018
Poor Inner London Salary, little chance of advancement or progress through the "pay-scale", management confused at the local level and estranged at the upper level, would not consider returning. The Annualised hours are also atrociously run, meaning more confusion.
Worth the experiance
Paid Professional Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 May 2018
Do i really have to put a review, im only here to apply for jobs, this job wasnt too bad, too few hours, cool team. You know how it is, can i go now??
Fantastic place to work
Customer Support Administrator (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester3 April 2018
Canal & River Trust are a fantastic organisation who genuinely have a passion. I feel privileged to have been a part of such a great group.

I can fully recommend working for them.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
None that spring to mind
Productive and fun workplace
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Market Harborough, Leicestershire2 April 2018
I enjoy working with canal and river trust because it is a fun and productive work place where you can have fun and be productive while getting on with work too.
Fun to work
Destination Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire10 March 2018
Fun to work at. You get perks. Small team. Good pay. Laid back. Flexible working hours. Loved my boss. Free hot drinks. Reasonable lunch breaks. Fun fellow employees.
A great workplace full of competent professionals
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire27 January 2018
Typical day would involve starting work at 9 am in the morning, attending progress meetings, eating lunch with colleagues etc.
I leant about inland waterways in the South-East of England. I got training for SAP, Environment Appraisal, GIS MyMaps etc.
I was under the supervision of Principal Engineer. Management was very efficient and effective.
The hardest part of the job was to stay longer in the office to meet certain deadlines which was very tiring and stressful.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to go on the site visits (i.e canals) and attending Engineering Team Meetings which was used to be scheduled in very nice venues such as Anderton Boatlift.
Pros
Free Sweets, day out at Canals etc
Cons
Long Hours in front of Computer Screens
productive
foundraiser (Former Employee) –  central london7 November 2017
I liked working here.
Our job was to convince people to support financially, on a monthly basis, CRT in order to clean and maintain the canals in the UK.
I meet so many beautiful people and have good conversations . I improved my english and also learned a lot about types of birds and plants that live and grow in the canal surroundings.

It was only part time and I didn't like that .
Friendly colleagues, interesting work and clients. Management culture not so good.
N/a (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire29 October 2017
Typical day incuded working with Canal River Trust (CRT) colleagues and volunteers dealing with members of the public. Most of my colleagues & volunteers were really nice interesting people who were good to work with. The job was interesting given the industrial and cultural heritage of the waterways and how this has been developed, and continues to be developed into the environmental and leisure usage today. In these respects CRT was a stimulating organisation to work for.
However I regret for me the management above direct supervisors left a lot to be desired. Rarely seen, uncommunicative regards leadership and prone to micro manage when they were with you. There is still (a reducing) culture of bullying from some, not all of the managers. Listening without actually listening, a lack of action or even a proper acknowledgment of issues. The management initertia often leads to some staff not bothering to report issues up the chain as the management response is all too predictable.
The constant churn of seasonal staff added to some of the issues, lack of experience and training puts them in positions where they are left between a 'rock and a hard place.' Add to this poor pay and variances in pay within similar roles it is not hard to see why some good and capable people leave CRT.
This could be a really good place to work, but where I worked is beset by a poor management culture.that is at best unsupportive at worst bullying. I do not think this is endemic across CRT but it is part of its culture.
Pros
Interesting work, nice people to work with and you get to work next to the water
Cons
Poor induction, lack of formal training and a culture that does not empower employees.
Outdoor Environment
Canal Operative (Former Employee) –  Tardebigge24 September 2017
Lots of opportunity for overtime and able to work in a host of different environments and places. Lots of independent work and work with other staff .
Waterway Operative
Waterway Operaive (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire31 May 2017
If you like enjoy earning a semi decent wage not doing a lot then this is the company for you.

(varied work, working ethos seems to be bodge it now, and worry about it at a later date, lack of communication between staff and managers. Mangers are generally bullies.) personal opinion.
Pros
Working Outdoors, working with members of the public, courses
Cons
Awful management, bullying, No steps for progression, lack of responsibility for jobs by turning a blind eye and passing it on to someone else
Good team
In-house Paid Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  London9 May 2017
Having worked as a fundraiser for Canal & River Trust for the past 2 years - I have enjoyed being part of the charity and the people I have worked with over the time I have been here. The charity is communicative and friendly and it is a good cause therefore a great charity to work for.
Business Support (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire20 April 2017
Great people to work with, workload is always a variety. always giving great customer service. Learning something new everyday, given new challenges on a daily basis.
Unique and Passionate
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 March 2017
It is clear everyone who works for the Canal and Rivers Trust and primarily the Oldknows project has a passion for what they are doing. Through assisting them I gained knowledge on how to promote a smaller exhibition to the local area.
Pros
Rewarding Outcomes
Cons
Delays on projects due to exterior factors
Productive, good role
Administrative Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, UK18 January 2017
A typical day at work could vary which is always good however most of the time it was a routine of printing out packs & sending them out along with dealing with many email queries.

i learnt a lot especially when it came to covering reception, I definitely picked up more skills and developed on my existing ones.

The office is very big and open plan even though some people were friendly It made me prefer smaller offices.

Hardest part of the job was putting up with some people & situations.

Most enjoyable part was being on reception.
Pros
easy job
Avoid unless a student
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  North West5 December 2016
- Work scheduling can easily fit around most students schedules
- Surprisingly high pay, however this is depending on weather in the fundraising role
- Although is difficult without having something nearby to point to the work the trust actually does
ok
Working alongside Head (Current Employee) –  Leeds20 July 2016
Dealing with incoming calls
Dealing with excel data
Dealing with face to face questions
Recruitment-
creating databases
Great place to start my working life
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  London28 June 2016
The canal and river trust was my first real job. It gave me a lot of confidence and experience in areas I had never worked in before.
Pros
Great education opportunities
Cons
Not so good management
An organisation going through change slowly
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northwest England27 June 2016
The Trust is working had to move from a public authority to a public facing service lead charity. Many old and out of date cultural practices exist. In a few years the team will develop in to an awesome team. For now they will remain talented individuals. Middle management improvements are required.
Pros
Wonderful working environment
Cons
Poor management.
great at times
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester26 June 2016
great company but very busy work schedule and sometimes not enough time in the day to complete all the work and not a thankful task at times
Pros
enjoyable when you get a chance to work on the canal
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canal & River Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

Canal & River Trust Reviews by Location