Cambridgeshire County Council Employee Reviews

Very enjoyable!
Voluntary Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge10 September 2019
I loved volunteering at the library as it made me feel like an active part of the community and I felt like I was helping people. I hope that I get the opportunity to volunteer again!
Work place
Reablement Support Worker (Former Employee) –  March, Cambridgeshire22 August 2019
I worked for this company and the skills and knowledge you gain is amazing, Management are so helpful and make it a good work environment, I enjoyed going to work every day and helping people, My place work was the reablement support team at March, Great Company.
Pros
Good Support
Cons
Long Hours
A team with a commitment to improving and supporting families
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wisbech, Cambridgeshire9 May 2019
Supporting families with children (0 to 5 years), assisting them through groups as well as focused activities addressing the needs of specific sections of the community. Working with a team who have a committed attitude to bring a positive environment and encouragement for those needing additional help.
Pros
Seeing positive changes in children/families.
Cons
Restrictions of services due to budget cuts
Good environment
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon9 May 2019
Friendly team and interesting workload due to the nature of the office remit to provide corporate parenting to vulnerable children and young people. The job is a good balance of routine work which gives the satisfaction of completion but also challenging tasks which need to be tackled as soon as they come up.
Professional environment
Benefits and Council tax advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwich16 February 2019
Pay grades are sometimes too low for the extra workload required at times. Career and Personal advance to is not invested unless at management level and above.
Can in most areas be a productive workplace
Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Shire Hall9 February 2019
I learnt from Cambridgeshire County Council how not to manage people and that supporting your workforce is paramount not knocking them down. I worked during a very toxic time and appreciate other areas were not like my area which at that time was very unique shall I say.
Pros
Nine day fortnight helps with work life balance.
Cons
Some questionable managers in post and once they go, things should improve tremendously.
workplace culture
Young People's Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge6 February 2019
do not care about the long term costs to families when they cut services, do not trust staff to work from home promoting a hostile environment. do not pay enough to skilled workers
Pros
can be flexible
Cons
do not promote staff development
I loved being part of the public sector and feeling that my work benefitted others
Frontline Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire1 February 2019
I loved working for the Council, and the required behaviours and expectations of employees made it a really focused and civilised place to be. I felt valued and respected by the managers during the years I was there.
Pros
Wonderful work colleagues
Cons
Job insecurity and uncertainty
Fair
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 November 2018
My experience of working here was fair. I worked in the finance team as part of a team of five people, processing large numbers of invoices to help clear a backlog.
Pros
Reputable organisation, some job security
Cons
Realistic development prospects from this particular role debatable
squeezed and stretched due to shrinking budgets and poor management
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge17 October 2018
Lots of instability, uncertainty and anxious feelings, only exasperated by repetitive restructures, serving only cost cutting purpose and overzealous managers, eager to exercise their powers of control.
Pros
pension and holidays entitlement
Cons
stress, uncertainty and shrinking benefits
Review of Payments Officer for LGSS
Payments Officer (Former Employee) –  Shire Hall Cambridge4 October 2018
I was involved in processing invoices for milton keynes, cambridgeshire and northamptonshire councils. this involved going throgh emails and processing these invoices onto ERP Gold for payment of invoice and transactions. I learned that it can be stressful trying to process mutiple invoices while trying to keep up with the payment queries as well.
Pros
friendly banter and support and traing of new accounts systems
Cons
only a short 6 week contract
Exhaustive
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge28 September 2018
There wasn't much time to develop new ideas or systems as time was precious and doing the day-to-day jobs were exhaustive. There did not appear to be much room for growth.
Busy and enjoyable some of the time.
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire9 September 2018
People are great, working environment average. Job prospects and promotion very limited. Red tape and decision making too long and restrictive. Always looking for more output with less support.
Pros
Flexi working
Cons
Prospects limited
Challenging and Rewarding at the same time
Early Help Family Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire2 September 2018
I enjoy my direct work with families and feel that when given the time I am able to support positive outcomes with them. However, case loads are high and the ability to significantly improve outcomes for clients is time limited. Timescales for data recording are very short.

I am supported to enhance my learning by attending training for Managers but positions at this level and progression within the service is very limited.

There has been recent restructure to the services provided by the Local Authority which has caused the workplace culture to go through a period of change.
Pros
Flexi work patterns, good employee benefits
Cons
Challenging case loads
busy,fun place
Cafe Manager (Current Employee) –  shire hall21 July 2018
My day starts by cooking breakfast,switching all equipment on,planning for the day ahead,emptying vending machines of money,i have learnt how to be productive day to day as no day is the same,i enjoy this job as i have the same customers all the time so you have a good relationship with them and understand what they like and dont like!
I have to manage my staff so i know i have got them there at the busiest times of day otherwise its a real struggle to give a good customer service!
Pros
free lunch, free uniform
Cons
very busy
Good
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire19 July 2018
Flexible hours, opportunity for advancement in certain areas. Job is office based, work is beneficial to young people. People keep to themselves mainly, line manager interested in employee well-being.
Pros
Flexible
I really enjoyed it
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, Cambridgeshire4 June 2018
As this was one of my first real jobs, I was a bit nervous when I started. However, the atmosphere was very welcoming. I enjoyed the work that I had to do and it gave me a lot of opportunity for personal development and growth. Having to learn and maintain lifeguarding skills helped me develop my time management and organisational skills. I enjoyed interacting with the customers and working as part of a team.
Usual county council benefits but some very poor management
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire19 May 2018
The salary, benefits and holidays are acceptable but as with many organisation the job satisfaction depends on the quality of the council decision makers and individual manager

This was very poor in many cases. Highly paid senior managers had cut salaries and staff numbers resulting in huge backlogs and constant complaints from service users. They then tried to reverse that decision but it was too late. They didn't seem to be accountable for their mistakes.

Very high turnover of staff due to these poor decisions by highly paid senior management putting huge pressure on more juniopr team leaders and staff
Pros
Flexible holiday
Cons
Some very poor senior management with little concern for staff
Flexible work
Finance Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire6 March 2018
I enjoyed my colleagues and being able to work very flexible hours. Work itself was not rewarding, but my colleagues and boss were very pleasant. Promotion was unlikely.
Difficult work but rewarding
Senior Debt Recovery Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire16 February 2018
Flexible working hours.
You are given a list of clients who have debts and you work with internal and external agancies and the client to recover the debt. You will use contact the client/representives by telephone, letter, email.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Difficult dlient base to recover money from

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambridgeshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Cambridgeshire County Council Reviews by Location