Cambridgeshire County Council Employee Reviews

Usual county council benefits but some very poor management
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire19 May 2018
The salary, benefits and holidays are acceptable but as with many organisation the job satisfaction depends on the quality of the council decision makers and individual manager

This was very poor in many cases. Highly paid senior managers had cut salaries and staff numbers resulting in huge backlogs and constant complaints from service users. They then tried to reverse that decision but it was too late. They didn't seem to be accountable for their mistakes.

Very high turnover of staff due to these poor decisions by highly paid senior management putting huge pressure on more juniopr team leaders and staff
Pros
Flexible holiday
Cons
Some very poor senior management with little concern for staff
Flexible work
Finance Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire6 March 2018
I enjoyed my colleagues and being able to work very flexible hours. Work itself was not rewarding, but my colleagues and boss were very pleasant. Promotion was unlikely.
Difficult work but rewarding
Senior Debt Recovery Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire16 February 2018
Flexible working hours.
You are given a list of clients who have debts and you work with internal and external agancies and the client to recover the debt. You will use contact the client/representives by telephone, letter, email.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Difficult dlient base to recover money from
Good Local Goverment Office
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire11 February 2018
Nice environment. Care about employees and training opportunities. Hard work but good sense of achievement. Modern offices. good transport links. employment benefits and pension
Pros
well paid
My View
Deskop Support (Current Employee) –  Norwich2 February 2018
been in the role 5 years and been given good opportunity to get involved and learn new skills within the ICT sector.

Hoping to progress with a promotion or new role
Have worked in several settings -never boring
varied (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire28 December 2017
I have held different posts over the years and all different .Training is excellent and there are also many opportunities for personal development within the organisation
Pros
Have met lovely people over the years
Cons
Can be bureacratic
Working for Reablement
Interim Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire16 November 2017
The Reablement team are the most dedicated and passionate individuals that I have ever worked alongside, if you are looking for a career in empowering adults in your local community within their homes, then apply to a support worker today. Flexible hours and days, excellent benefits, enhanced pay rates at weekends, supervision and free training.
Invaluable experience gained in my area
Social Worker / Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire20 September 2017
Worked within a specialist team, communication skills with general public and ability to assess and manage clients was key for my role to be achievable.
Pros
Could manage own diary
Cons
Budget cuts!
Good workplace
Cleaner in charge (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire19 September 2017
Good emploeyee.Productive and helpfull for any reasons.Allways happy to help.Full training was given.Offered help in with any problems.Easy to contact them with any enquiries
Work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire17 August 2017
I worked in a fast paced environment at Cambridgeshire County Council delivering school transport for Main Stream, Sen pupils and post 16 students. I also help with invoice queries and helping with over payment by getting the monies owed back to the council.
Busy supportive envirionment
Contracts Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 July 2017
I carry out audits on providers of care homes for the elderly, that have a contract to provide good quality services with the County Council.
I have learned that what you see on the surface is not always a true picture when you investigate further.

I have good support from my management and peers.
The team I work in take pride in achieving quality reports.
The job is challenging and can be emotionally draining,however the best part is highlighting concerns and supporting providers to make changes that assist in providing a high level of care and maintaining standards.
Hard but rewarding work
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire18 May 2017
Day to day changes that can bring anything, interesting work and dealing with very interesting people. Lovely city on the workplace doorstep and easily accessible.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
local government job security under Conservatives isn't great.
Standard Employment
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Signet Court24 April 2017
Working for the county council has good job security albeit in social care there have been and will continue to be many changes due to budgets set by the government.
Pros
independent working
Cons
Changes to contracts
Busy, rewarding, friendly workplace
Digital Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire17 January 2017
More than 20 years with Cambridgeshire County Council in a variety of roles which have all been rewarding. Working with local politicians and a wide networks of partners and stakeholders as a public servant is both challenging and enjoyable.
Brilliant and positive
Assets and commissioning searches assistant (Former Employee) –  Assets & Commissioning Team member25 October 2016
The staff at Cambridgeshire County Council are supportive and kind.

In my time working here I had a few personal issues arise, my line manager and colleagues were so supportive and helpful. I never felt under any pressure during my time here.
I firmly believe that if you put in hard work here you are rewarded.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
parking is not provided for all colleagues which can at times (particularly the winter) feel unfair
Workforce
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon and Peterborough25 August 2016
Being a relief worker, you are a seasonal employee which makes it difficult to understand the culture of the organisation.
Cons
Working in isolation
Relaxed and friendly workplace
Education Admission Appeals & Fair Access Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge25 August 2016
A typical day involves an early start, arriving at the office at 7am to begin planning my day. Management is relaxed which can be both good and bad. Co workers are friendly and relaxed atmosphere in office. Hardest part of job is pressure of work and being a one person team and not receiving any support from colleagues. I enjoy the relaxed environment and believe people respond well to this type of environment.
Pros
pension scheme
Cons
long hours, lack of support, poor salary progression
A busy and rewarding job
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge12 July 2016
My main roles were to work with the Training programme for all Early Years Practitioners in the area. This included, booking the venues, planning the Years ahead programme, liaising with the trainers, and being very aware of cost implications.
Also, dealing with incoming enquires and issues. Producing invoices and all other administrative duties.
The management and my co-workers were all very supportive, and I enjoyed working within a small team.
The hardest part of the job was providing the service required but balancing the costing's against this.
Job satisfaction would be the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Gainig vast experience within this field
Cons
Travelling to Cambridge
Productive workplace
Partnership Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Shire Hall4 February 2016
It's fun and a place to develop as a starter. Colleagues are willing to help you along the way. That's great to work for cambridgeshire County Council
Pros
free lunches
Cons
No parking space
Rolling shift pattern, suits my lifestyle.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ely, ENG3 February 2016
Lots of travelling, dealing with patients, contacting GP-DNs when required, speaking with management, reporting information. Good relationship with colleagues and management.
Pros
Rolling shift pattern.
Cons
Work overload