Cambridge University Press Employee Reviews

A fabulous place to work.
Secretary to three editors (Former Employee) –  Cambridge29 August 2018
I had a very happy time at CUP - interesting work and colleagues, caring managers, lovely offices, a great canteen and a lovely environment in Cambridge.
A good steady job with plenty to do
SEO Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 July 2018
Worked here for a number of years, and slowly progressed in my chosen career path. Loads of really really friendly people, and the work is a steady continuous flow. Rare to have nothing to do, so it was a great stable place to work. Lots of staff socialising, and a nice atmosphere. I honestly regret leaving.
Pros
Steady job, lots of work, nice atmosphere, great people
Cons
Lower pay, slow moving, HiPPOs, traffic
Lack of Work Structure
Excel / Access Developer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge18 May 2018
Worked on helping the company staff with data migration from legacy systems to SAP, using MS Office Tools.
During my time there, the workload was very light, with little direction from management on their requirements. I self-motivated my work to help staff members in there migration work.
Pros
Spacious working environment, good canteen
Cons
Not enough work to do
Productive and Fun workplace
Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire17 May 2018
Good management and good work life balance. Employees are more valued and good career growth in terms. Facility within campus and top notch company to work with.
Nightmare
Sales/Marketing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire7 May 2018
Over worked, under paid and suffered from serious stress. Never go back. Would not recommend working here. I have never seen people in my department leave so quickly.

Now I am in a better place. Great work culture, social and a lot better paid.
Fun work place
Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire26 July 2017
I learnt Mark Logic XQuery development and Groovy which makes me a confident freelancer in REST API world. Working in an agile environment is also plus.
Fast passed
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire18 May 2017
Really good learning place of what you can actually handle in a working environment of a huge company and all in one huge office. Great fun in working with all the different systems
Pros
Great hours of work. Lovely open plan office
Cons
management skills of customer services
great place to work
Content Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire29 April 2017
really enjoyed working here, very supportive company and good working environment. Busy and challenging work but enjoyable at the same time. Lovely office
Pros
discounted canteen
Cons
very old fashioned: everything paper
employer lost its way
warehouse distribution assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge15 April 2017
a employer out for itself lost its way use to be very family based sold its soul too line its pockets and missed its chance 20 years ago to grow as strong as what oxford has
Going to the dogs - profits dwindling
Project Specialist - Amazon AWS Developer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, UK5 March 2017
Sadly an employer who is migrating many IT roles offshore to teams too small and under experienced to do the required work because they are cheaper.
Don't go there!
Web Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge18 October 2016
Trying to turn an academic institution into a profit-making business is doomed to fail and the culture reflects that failure.
Interesting organisation with lots of potential
Global Product Marketing Manager, Education (Former Employee) –  Cambridge20 June 2016
A very busy role with lots of variety. The people are all very pleasant and well-intentioned, as well as passionate about what they do. The international nature of my role gave me exposure to many different work cultures and practices, which I am grateful for. As the organisation is also undergoing a trememdous period of change, I was able to gain management experience during transition, with involvement in restructures, strategy and surrounding projects. This alongside the challenge of marketing about 3,000 products in to 170 countries also enabled me to sharpen up my time-management, prioritisation and internal communication skills across a variety of channels.
Pros
free parking, subsidised canteen, free gym
Cons
incredibly high workload
Interesting and fun work.
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  Home Based1 June 2016
Given a free reign to come up with own ideas and topics making it the most challenging project I've taken part in as it's common to have strict briefs. Worked closely with other author, building up an excellent working relationship. Worked from home but good communication with the editor and strong support.
Review Summary
Project Support (Current Employee) –  Cambridge27 April 2016
Each individual's situation is different. All I want to say is that I have encountered a lot of mismanagement, processes not followed and no personal development.
Pros
free gym
Cons
No personal development; small salaries
Keyboard Operator
Compositor/Typesetter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge25 September 2015
I loved the Printing Trade and would love to get back into the trade if possible.

I worked at the University Press for Thirty Years and would still be there if I hadn't been made redundant. Loved the Job, the Trade and the Company
Pros
Very good Company to work for
Cons
Travelling to Cambridge
Fun and varied work
Institutional Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG9 April 2015
A typical day at work would involve designing email campaigns, posting to our social media sites, creating a report or working on promotional artwork for conferences.
Pros
Generous holidays, opportunity to travel, great team
Positive
Executive (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG19 February 2015
Positive experience at the company, with lots of opportunities to learn. Some challenges with adapting to new digital models.
Negative attitudes still not resolved
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge26 April 2013
I have not encountered such a negative attitdue toward business before. I left after a few weeks of employment as it was a dreadful environment.

The main concerns were the lack of interest in improvement. The systems used were created in the 1980s and have simply had patches put on to keep them going. This resulted in them being very easy to hack and do not comply with data protection guidelines.

The SLA for the customer service team was one working day but in reality we were encouraged to reject any emails that we could. If the customer had provided minimal detail, even if it was enough to assist them, we were directed to request full details.

The management openly admitted to wasting high volumes of resource such as printing reports, the vast majority of which were binned immediately. No meaningful efforts were taken to reduce this wastage.

CUP continues to operate in it's own bubble and will never reach it's potential under current management practices.

The only positives were the salary was far in excess of what it should be for such an easy job, all be it with great frustrations, and the gym and canteen were very good. The staff are really friendly but on a purely professional basis this company is a mess.
Pros
free gym, subsidised canteen of a high standard.
Cons
archaic systems, negative management