Cambridge University Press

Cambridge University Press Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
Life and work balance is very good.
I learned lots of new information regarding my job.

The management was good. When help is needed, if you contact the correct person, you will get it.

Very good sports facilities.

I am very happy to have worked in this organisation.
It really depends on your manager and team! The senior leadership is thoughful and very consultative - they do care about their people. My job entails a lot of cross-functional collaboration and innovation to motivate, inspire and develop individuals and teams. The organisation is properly global so I work with colleagues in Mexico City, New York, Madrid, Hyderabad and the UK. In some roles, like mine, you tend to hit a ceiling and then it's difficult to know how to progress unless you retrain, but the availability of Apprenticeship schemes (from Level 3 to Masters level) is fantastic.
Friendly and welcoming workplace. Was undergoing some difficult change when I was there, and management aren't always in touch. But overall a nice place to work.
Pros
Tennis club, canteen, green space
Cons
Quite old fashioned sometimes
I am an online freelance worker and as such don't go into the workplace at any time.
One is recruited when there is a demand or a specific job available
To begin with I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Press, in the end it was a case of where I wanted to go and the Press was going meant I left the organisation.
What is company to be part of. Name itself is enough
I really enjoyed my time at CUP. The long commute from Kent that I had was the only reason I left. Other wise I would have been happy to extend my contract longer
Great to work for with an extremely professional approach. From start to finish projects are well-managed with excellent author briefs, guidelines, and assistance from editors.
Gave me a good start to my career, with plenty of training opportunities. Development and contentment were hampered by inconsistent management/poor communication and a feeling of weak overall strategic vision from senior management.
Pros
Respected international publisher
Cons
Bureaucratic
I had a very happy time at CUP - interesting work and colleagues, caring managers, lovely offices, a great canteen and a lovely environment in Cambridge.
Worked here for a number of years, and slowly progressed in my chosen career path. Loads of really really friendly people, and the work is a steady continuous flow. Rare to have nothing to do, so it was a great stable place to work. Lots of staff socialising, and a nice atmosphere. I honestly regret leaving.
Pros
Steady job, lots of work, nice atmosphere, great people
Cons
Lower pay, slow moving, HiPPOs, traffic
Worked on helping the company staff with data migration from legacy systems to SAP, using MS Office Tools.
During my time there, the workload was very light, with little direction from management on their requirements. I self-motivated my work to help staff members in there migration work.
Pros
Spacious working environment, good canteen
Cons
Not enough work to do
Good management and good work life balance. Employees are more valued and good career growth in terms. Facility within campus and top notch company to work with.
Over worked, under paid and suffered from serious stress. Never go back. Would not recommend working here. I have never seen people in my department leave so quickly.

Now I am in a better place. Great work culture, social and a lot better paid.
I learnt Mark Logic XQuery development and Groovy which makes me a confident freelancer in REST API world. Working in an agile environment is also plus.
Really good learning place of what you can actually handle in a working environment of a huge company and all in one huge office. Great fun in working with all the different systems
Pros
Great hours of work. Lovely open plan office
Cons
management skills of customer services
really enjoyed working here, very supportive company and good working environment. Busy and challenging work but enjoyable at the same time. Lovely office
Pros
discounted canteen
Cons
very old fashioned: everything paper
a employer out for itself lost its way use to be very family based sold its soul too line its pockets and missed its chance 20 years ago to grow as strong as what oxford has
Sadly an employer who is migrating many IT roles offshore to teams too small and under experienced to do the required work because they are cheaper.
Trying to turn an academic institution into a profit-making business is doomed to fail and the culture reflects that failure.
A very busy role with lots of variety. The people are all very pleasant and well-intentioned, as well as passionate about what they do. The international nature of my role gave me exposure to many different work cultures and practices, which I am grateful for. As the organisation is also undergoing a trememdous period of change, I was able to gain management experience during transition, with involvement in restructures, strategy and surrounding projects. This alongside the challenge of marketing about 3,000 products in to 170 countries also enabled me to sharpen up my time-management, prioritisation and internal communication skills across a variety of channels.
Pros
free parking, subsidised canteen, free gym
Cons
incredibly high workload