Cambridge Regional College Employee Reviews

interesting subjects and more practical
Part time voluntary (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire8 January 2019
This is a great place to study, offering a wide range of subjects at the college. You can meet up with new people and the teachers are very supportive .
busy and challenging
UK Student Support Centre Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 February 2018
- Providing receptionist support to a busy student advice centre
- Safeguarding policy, mental health support needed for 16-19 year olds in a FE environment.
- Well structured but under pressure due to illness and staff shortages, tutors and mental health, welfare and financial professional under pressure to ensure students stayed at college
- dealing face to face with users and supporters of service
Pros
A dynamic Further Education institution
Cons
Temp work
fun and interesting
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  cambridge4 March 2018
good place to work but lack of staff development available. The job itself is interesting as working with so many young engineers. The company has stopped investing in staff though
Excellent and exciting place to work
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire12 October 2017
I enjoyed working the students in IT related matters but also had the opportunity to assist in designing and implementing the computer network infrastructure for some of the new buildings that were being built while I worked there.
great college
Hairdresser Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge16 October 2016
realistic working environment. I had normal learning day and salon days where there is real paying clients and treated as a normal running salon. learnt retail skills, how to display products on shelves, cut, colour, blow dry, perm, wash hair ex. The most enjoyable part is working with the clients and feeling like a proffassional hairdresser i also enjoyed being in a team.
Pros
1 hours lunch, got hair done for free
Cons
didnt get paid as it was a course not a job but got tips from clients
Intersting and Varied Workplace
PA & Curriculum Liaison to the Faculty Directors (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire25 May 2017
Working alongside an extremely busy but highly functioning admin team providing support to staff and students alike. This is a fast moving and very unpredictable job which requires a high level of prioritisation and organisational skills to meet the demands placed.
Lolvely Staff, friendly place to work.
Study Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge29 September 2016
I have worked at CRC for 6 years and have enjoyed it due to my co-workers and myn students who I had formed a good friendship.

The Management team dose not care about the wellbeing of the staff or what they have to say.

The hardest part of the job was to do the job when you have your manager not letting you work within your ability and listening to us.

The most enjoyable part was working with the students and co-works as well as the facilities we could use.
Pros
20% off treatments
Cons
Low pay
unsettled workforce due to redundancies throughout the college
Assessor Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire22 August 2016
A very thorough work place, Good team work.
excellent standardisation meetings and good communication to those working on outreach projects.
Yet unsettled working conditions.
Thoroughly enjoyed the team work with colleagues,
Enjoyed travelling to schools and meetings with Schools and outside agencies
Received heart-warming references from schools and students. .
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
unsettled staff with redundences throughout the college.
No progression and selective.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG23 March 2014
I was not being treated fairly. On a daily basis I did not have any work to do other than order stationary, I hoped to gain more challenging, stimulating and beneficial work as time went on however after many conversations with my line manager I received no such progression after six months.

I felt that I was not being offered the role that had been advertised.
My daily roles included photocopying, post delivery, stationary organisation and beverages.

After meeting other employee's who were within the same role but in different offices who were doing data entry and more I decided that I was not going to progress, be challenged and therefore not be beneficial.
Pros
Some employees
Cons
Poor Management
An interesting place to work , really liked all the ESOL students I learnt a great deal t
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG8 January 2014
An amazing place to work with lots of opportunities to undertake courses that helped you in your role. I made the most of it. I enjoyed meeting the students and watching them fulfil their dreams. My immediate manager was brilliant at supporting me and including me in all correspondence that was relevent at the main campus.
Pros
Free car parking
Cons
Fun place to work with some benefits
Study Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge8 September 2015
I don't have a typical day as each day is different but fun and very busy as we have back to back lessons most days. I learn a lot about different subjects and about the students.
Management is ok but could be a lot better.
My co-workers are nice and friendly and we all get on well and work as a team.
The hardest part of the job is when you first meet the students and get to know them and the best way to help them as sometimes it takes a long time to get the trust as they have had a bad experience in school.
I enjoy helping the students and being in lessons that I have knowledge in as it is easier to help them if I understand the subject.
Lots of politics as in most jobs but overall a good place to work.
Pros
Free car park.
Cons
Long days as in lessons for 6 hours a day.
Dedicated staff, good management.
Accounting and maths tutor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge10 August 2016
The input from the staff is remarkable and benefits the students.

Helpful staff

I would work there again if the opportunity arose

Great facilities at the college ie Bistro, gym, free parking

I learned about teaching resources and methods from other members of staff
Pros
You are free to run a class as you think fit
Cons
Driving into Cambridge
An excellent learning environment.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge20 February 2016
A typical day was dealing first hand with students and their parents/guardians, tutors and fellow staff. My co-workers were generally mature and experienced with many years experience within the college structure so it was easy to learn from them when I first joined.
Pros
Dealing with people on a day to day basis. Generally an excellent job.
Cons
None.
Good college
Student (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire6 October 2017
It's a good college I have learnt alot there and they have helped me become a better person they also helped with my anxiety issues, I am now able to do things I usually wouldn't think of.
Technician
Carpentry and Joinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG10 December 2013
A typical day at work would involve preparing materials for a busy workshop.
Assisting teaching mainly 16-19 year old learners.
Tool maintenance, machining and general housekeeping.
Other aspects of the job would include ordering materials and maintaining high health and safety standards.
A good work placement
Business and Administration (Former Employee) –  Cambridge21 July 2012
I did my work experience at my college because it was part of my course. I really enjoyed it, I had to do lots of admin stuff like filing photocopying, sorting files, incoming and outgoing mail, I'm really glad of myself because I learned something new.
Pros
my own lunch
Cons
minimum hours
A wonderful student body and great teaching colleagues
TEFL teacher (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG3 March 2015
Work is meant to start at 9.45, however some students arrive early and need help in filling out forms or want to ask academic questions more privately. Often their may be issues around adapting to a new culture too.

The hardest part of the job is sparse resources and equipment failure - no internet access, Overhead Projector, teacher's book.

Sometimes - when new students arrive one uses the lunch break to help students catch up on previously covered work which the rest of the class has completed. Laerning language is a process of slow steady accretion and helping students to catch up can be the most challenging aspect of the work.

The best part of the job is that the students are receptive and keen learners with immense personal charm and grace and that we, as colleagues communicate and assist one another very readily.
Pros
Lovely students, fantastic colleagues
Cons
Sparse resources
good workplace
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  cambridge13 December 2012
i have learned a lot from visiting different Nursery such as how to communicate with children and following the instruction of key workers. the hardest part of the job is starting communication with co-workers. the most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with children.
quite fun overall
student (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire25 March 2016
Cambridge regional college provide a good experience for advancement, they have many courses which all help you to get the most experience in order to prepare you fully for a job in the real world.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
many long days, sometimes not enough workers
productive place to work at
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge23 April 2016
the working conditions are great and flexible.
management are communicative and very helpful.
we work as a team with co workers.
the most enjoyable part of the job I guess is its flexibility in arranging my working hours.