Cambian Group

Cambian Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom297 reviews
I started in child care in 2006 and it was a different company then the work was also very different too,kids had consequences for their actions however I've seen this change over the years and the main reason why I left was because I saw this happen less & less,I felt I was the only person in the home disciplining the kids no support from my manager on this either.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work/life balance poor
Constant lack of staff leaves carers with deciding to take a lot of overtime in mentally and physically challenging environment; barely or not at all recognised dedication of staff and their contribution to positive changes made by a carer. Base line - no matter how much you give of yourself, eventually you will be screwed over if you seem to be an uncomfortable to the company. They will NOT have your back
Pros
Training
Cons
Staff not always supportive - easily get one in trouble, company is focused on benefiting themselves and not supporting the employee, low pay for the level of hardship job offers; constantly UNDERSTAFFED, difficult job with little support and no appreciation shown to employee’s hard work and dedication.
This has to be The worst place to work.
I was bullied by mangament daily.

The staff in the East Durham area are a disgrace to the company.

It's true that your face has to fit, if it doesn't be prepared to be bullied and work the shifts that no one else would work.

Management are clueless and uncaring and will not support you at all.

The work ethic and duty of care is appalling.

They only think of themselves and what they can get out of this job, which is money.

Don't work here as you will regret it.
Cons
t's is really stressful, fast-paced environment to work. You wont get much support from head office, but you can find good colleagues here. Always short of staff because of the low pay rate.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Low pay
Great team and manager. Very supportive of each other. I only left because I was asked to work at Grateley house school during the covid19 peak and I felt that staff should all be wearing masks and they weren't. The head of care at Grateley is brilliant and used to be Stratford Lodge manager. Very supportive of me going part time so I could study for a degree. Cambian higher managers are not great at looking after staff or retaining them which is a shame. I learned a lot and gained much experienceasier.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Low pay and higher management not supportive
hard work money not bad some management bit clicky .staff very friendly . students were lovely and that was good part of working there. i was there 11 years loyalty not rewarded
Dismissed for following government advice on Covid 19
I resigned, my resignation was accepted, then I was disciplined and dismissed for gross misconduct.

I shielded because I’m on the ‘at risk’ list.

No more no less than that!

Bullying and harassment.
Pros
Cons
Unfit management structure
it was awful and never recommend to anyone works for cambian group. Lots of staff I know has left because of the management are poor and bad attitudes
Pros
Non
Cons
More stress. Less work. Awful managements
I have worked for the company for a long time and have seen it change over the years. I find the work challenging but rewarding. The challenges are that you work long days and that it can be emotionally draining. However there is nothing more rewarding than seeing how much the young people progress over time. You have to stick it out to see the rewards. Pros- Opportunities, training and annual leave allowance
Poor management that bullies staff. Lots of staff very stuck in their ways very fed up and very serious that look down on young new staff. Very judgemental and can often be intimidating. I’ve never worked for a company where the manager has been so unapproachable and unprofessional. They don’t have the children’s best interest at heart and it’s actually really sad. Would not recommend this company.
Management lack care and compassion for damaged children . No staff training. If your face fits you’re ok . Bullying, harassment and unprofessional environment. Neglect of children heart wrenching. Discrimination and illegal hours. Fight to retrieve holiday pay and salary a battle.
They do not appreciate the hard work and bruises you get. I feel like my salary is not enough, considering what I have to put up with and how lo g I have to work .
Not treated fairly by management,too much friendship between staff and management ,which was surprisingly ,home being controlled by young people,no rules for young people .it has been an experience for me personal.
Staff were looked afrer very well by management since we were doing long hour. They have three courses meal at work enble staff to work effectively with intermittent break .Loved working with cambain
It was a major mistake to accept a senior post with this company. The complex remit of a new manager was never made sufficiently clear and issues and concerns went unmentioned until they became serious and, in my experience, impossible to resolve in the time available. It was clear that your face had to fit and mine did - for a while. Instead of honest appraisal following the emergence of concerns, I was sidelined, victimised and marched down the path of wanting to leave well before I was even aware of a problem. Don’t misunderstand - I would have accepted a fair process which led to us going our separate ways, but what happened was a nasty little trap that in my naivety; I failed to see coming.

Apart from my own bad experience, a review of Cambrian would be incomplete without the following concerns and observations. The pay and conditions for main grade staff are poor for the type of work they do, made worse by the lack of sick pay and broken promises around the use of discretion in this respect. Some relatively young people are expected to work in very challenging situations without adequate training in managing conflict, understanding trauma or the origins and precursors of disregulated behaviour. In fact, most staff appeared to have neither training nor useful experience in autism in young people, which was a stunning realisation considering the eye-watering fees charged to local authorities on the basis of declared expertise. On the whole, it was very impressive that many of the support workers were as effective and dedicated as they were considering this context.
 - more...
Pros
Interesting and potentially rewarding fields of work, some excellent staff and fascinating young people.
Cons
Poor pay for main grade staff, lack of true understanding of autism, bogus culture re: staff welfare, cliques, lack of professional support, the potential for senior managers to be tyrants.
I thought that people were generally OK wherever you went, but no, this place was full of bullies and bad management, who were more concerned with covering their backs than supporting the legitimate concerns of staff.

The clients (special needs people in my case) did have a perfectly reasonable standard of living, but the staff were overworked, underpaid. Nothing much was done about the aggressive, pack-like mentality that I encountered. You were also told to check your monthly pay as it sometimes didn't match the hours you worked - not acceptable.

Would not recommend Beckly House by any measure. Bad work culture.
Worked in Bradford for about 15 months, the home was very nice but the staff was very hard to work with. Long hours very unsociable and the management was not very helpful, and work by using pulling tactics.

Not a nice place to work at all.
I have no words! The work is great, some of the team were unreliable the office and senior management were appalling. The whole team above me and in the office has changed since I was employed, so I can't comment on the new management team.
Unfortunately I had witnessed several incidents of bullying and despite raising this, nothing was changed. In my later stages of employment I had personal experience of this. I would not recommend this company to work for. There are some brilliant staff and fair play to them. Groundhog day.
Long hours. Complex paperwork, excellent safeguards of children and young people. The complex paperwork means a lot of time is given to that instead of the young people. Social care work should be paid better as this would result in quality staff, meaning more positive outcomes for children
Within the 1st 6 weeks I had been treat disgustingly by the head of care for daring to have an opinion during a HR meeting. Speaks volumes about the culture here when not one person from the management or external HR team spoke out about it.
There is no staff recognition in place. The support staff have been an unmanned force who have felt undervalued and unheard.

A scapegoat culture following a restructure due to alot of things not being implemented previously.