Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust

Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews
Good
I’ve worked at CHFT for over 12 years and have been supported in my chosen path of progression.
I have a good work life balance and a very supportive team.
Fast Paced
A fast paced environment which is constantly changing to keep up with the demands of caring for patients. There is a decent work life balance here at this organisation.
Ok if you don't have depression
If you feel like you can work and not have a life then join them if you like bitchness and backstabbing join them if you like working for pennies and not getting help to better your self then the NHS is for you
Good Training Scheme
Foundation doctors will enjoy training here. Excellent support for juniors. There are plenty of opportunities to build a CV you can be proud of and many seniors will help you along the way.
Nice helping people.
It is always busy having to work to deadlines. You learn a lot about different aspects of the NHS. It is a nice job if you like helping people. You need to be able to work as part of a team but also on your own initiative. The hardest part of the job is the none stop workload and the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the patients that come through the NHS.
I am no longer in employment as i have retired.
I worked at the calderdale hospital for many years
. I enjoyed my time there but retired 2 years ago I held many different positions from staff nurse to matron which position I held for 4 years.
A friendly, caring and supportive organisation that encourages its employees to progress to higher levels of attainment and to give close attention to personal development.
Great
Was a great place to work, my colleagues were great and taught me so much, I’ve been able to take this invaluable knowledge to my next job, and I have to draw on this knowledge from time to time
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust?
Unstructured
The team felt unstructured and that the manager did not have the expertise for the role he was in. When confronted with a conflict it became apparent he did not feel authoritative enough to resolve the issues.
Very friendly coworkers
It’s a great place to work the teamwork is very friendly, they have flexible shifts and are very welcoming to new workers especially if you have a different culture, e.g (I’m Latina).

You have chance of development and have access to several good and important trainings.

I love it to work there.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Very short breaks
busy on the go wards
each morning you would help with personal care with the stroke patients then get them some breakfast do their obs and care for them along with general house keeping duties
Cons
long hours and paying for parking
Happy with support but not for me at the moment
Work life balance was hard with children having to do an apprenticeship to be able to get role on a basic wage. Would rather come back as a qualified member of staff.
Interestingwork
Although I have enjoyed working for this organisation ready for a change after working nearly 30 years and to develop myself further whilst I am young enough to do so.
Pros
Family orientated
Cons
Excellent career prospects and a good support structure
I enjoyed my 37yrs working full time as a nurse then manager for CHFT and only took early retirement to care for my elderly father. They supported me throughout and encouraged my career progression
Pros
38 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays, 12 months paid sick leave
Cons
Financial restraints
• Ensure that the department provides a robust Facilities Management services which are appropriate, person centred, environmentally safe and complian
Ensure that the department provides a robust Facilities Management services which are appropriate, person centred, environmentally safe and compliant with all legislation.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Motorway Traffic
Productive department
My colleges in the NHS do a fantastic job in stressful circumstances and I am proud to be able to work with a great team.
Typical day dealing with around 50/70 patients per session that's two sessions a day

Learning new knowledge each day

Management in the department is very good

Culture in the work place is stressful at times but also rewarding

The hardest part is giving bad news

The most enjoyable part is caring and feeling you have helped a patient and made a difference in there care.
Pros
Excellent team members
Cons
Paying to park
Work life
The trust as a whole is good to work for, plenty of training opportunities and chances to progress in your role.

I found while working there that it is a complex and varied work environment and you will be challenged positively throughout your role. I would recommend that for newly qualified nurses that you research into the area you have chosen to work in and weigh up if that area is suitable to your learning needs. maybe a taster day on the ward if they will offer you that experience so you have a good understanding of the work environment and what is expected of you.

some wards will be better suited to than others, those that find high turnover wards with heavy workloads are suited to them i.e. SAU, MAU, A&E will flourish quite quickly on these types of wards. But for those who learn at a different pace do not take these wards lightly. you will be expected work independently quite quickly in a fast paced environment

this isn't to deter those who are willing to take up a challenge, but I would recommend those that have a different learning pace to take roles on more relaxed wards. this will give you the opportunity to build up your skills, gain the confidence needed to lead a team and give you the experience of a ward environment.

I will say always ask questions, don't be afraid to speak up and know that all the other staff are there to support you through your transition.
Working Environment
The works environment is good and the staff are very friendly, good place to work. Most of the staff are willing to learn the new system application and it make contractor job easier and management are very cooperative.
Cons
You can do long hour if have the capacity
Productive and academic
I found my time spent in this institution to be a great learning experience. The workplace was very productive and I had lots of opportunities to collaborate with my colleagues alike.
Intolerant of disability
Some of the managers in the non-clinical areas are only concerned about their own self-promotion to the detriment of their team. There is a lack of professionalism and intolerance of disability to the extent that although they have policies on disability they are not worth the paper they are written on. Managers are not above blatantly lying to get rid of staff. Some managers speak to their staff in a very aggressive manner, but the stress they are causing is ignored because the individual's manager is a personal friend. Many of the support staff have been employed for years in the organisation and are not very welcoming to newcomers.

This is a shame because in comparison many of the clinical staff are committed and offer an excellent service to patients.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Expensive canteen, old fashioned offices that can be uncomfortable to work in, poor management and leadership
Fast Pased
Working on the Medical Day Case Unit at Calderdale Royal Hospital has been very rewarding. Building a relationship with the patients that come on a regular basis has been a bonus. I have witnessed men become fathers, women become mothers, and get regular updates on how the children are doing. Unfortunately due to the health conditions of some of the patients who attend this unit on a regular basis i have experienced a lot of loss. Strong bonds have been made and i have witnessed nervous patients become more relaxed and eventually look forward to their visits (if that is at all possible). I am now looking to advance my knowledge and work in other departments.
Pros
Regular patients, build friendships
Cons
patients pass away due to their health conditions