Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust

Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Happy with support but not for me at the moment
Physiotherapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire22 January 2019
Work life balance was hard with children having to do an apprenticeship to be able to get role on a basic wage. Would rather come back as a qualified member of staff.
Excellent career prospects and a good support structure
Outpatient Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire20 August 2018
I enjoyed my 37yrs working full time as a nurse then manager for CHFT and only took early retirement to care for my elderly father. They supported me throughout and encouraged my career progression
Pros
38 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays, 12 months paid sick leave
Cons
Financial restraints
• Ensure that the department provides a robust Facilities Management services which are appropriate, person centred, environmentally safe and complian
Senior Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire29 July 2018
Ensure that the department provides a robust Facilities Management services which are appropriate, person centred, environmentally safe and compliant with all legislation.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Motorway Traffic
Productive department
Nursery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire24 May 2018
My colleges in the NHS do a fantastic job in stressful circumstances and I am proud to be able to work with a great team.
Typical day dealing with around 50/70 patients per session that's two sessions a day
Learning new knowledge each day
Management in the department is very good
Culture in the work place is stressful at times but also rewarding
The hardest part is giving bad news
The most enjoyable part is caring and feeling you have helped a patient and made a difference in there care.
Pros
Excellent team members
Cons
Paying to park
Work life
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield29 March 2018
The trust as a whole is good to work for, plenty of training opportunities and chances to progress in your role.

I found while working there that it is a complex and varied work environment and you will be challenged positively throughout your role. I would recommend that for newly qualified nurses that you research into the area you have chosen to work in and weigh up if that area is suitable to your learning needs. maybe a taster day on the ward if they will offer you that experience so you have a good understanding of the work environment and what is expected of you.

some wards will be better suited to than others, those that find high turnover wards with heavy workloads are suited to them i.e. SAU, MAU, A&E will flourish quite quickly on these types of wards. But for those who learn at a different pace do not take these wards lightly. you will be expected work independently quite quickly in a fast paced environment

this isn't to deter those who are willing to take up a challenge, but I would recommend those that have a different learning pace to take roles on more relaxed wards. this will give you the opportunity to build up your skills, gain the confidence needed to lead a team and give you the experience of a ward environment.

I will say always ask questions, don't be afraid to speak up and know that all the other staff are there to support you through your transition.
Working Environment
EPRTrainer/RTT Validation Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield21 March 2018
The works environment is good and the staff are very friendly, good place to work. Most of the staff are willing to learn the new system application and it make contractor job easier and management are very cooperative.
Cons
You can do long hour if have the capacity
Productive and academic
House Officer (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield25 February 2018
I found my time spent in this institution to be a great learning experience. The workplace was very productive and I had lots of opportunities to collaborate with my colleagues alike.
Intolerant of disability
Estates and Facilities (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire10 February 2018
Some of the managers in the non-clinical areas are only concerned about their own self-promotion to the detriment of their team. There is a lack of professionalism and intolerance of disability to the extent that although they have policies on disability they are not worth the paper they are written on. Managers are not above blatantly lying to get rid of staff. Some managers speak to their staff in a very aggressive manner, but the stress they are causing is ignored because the individual's manager is a personal friend. Many of the support staff have been employed for years in the organisation and are not very welcoming to newcomers.

This is a shame because in comparison many of the clinical staff are committed and offer an excellent service to patients.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Expensive canteen, old fashioned offices that can be uncomfortable to work in, poor management and leadership
Fast Pased
Ward Clerk - Medical Day Case Unit (Current Employee) –  Halifax England9 February 2018
Working on the Medical Day Case Unit at Calderdale Royal Hospital has been very rewarding. Building a relationship with the patients that come on a regular basis has been a bonus. I have witnessed men become fathers, women become mothers, and get regular updates on how the children are doing. Unfortunately due to the health conditions of some of the patients who attend this unit on a regular basis i have experienced a lot of loss. Strong bonds have been made and i have witnessed nervous patients become more relaxed and eventually look forward to their visits (if that is at all possible). I am now looking to advance my knowledge and work in other departments.
Pros
Regular patients, build friendships
Cons
patients pass away due to their health conditions
plenty of work
Training Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire4 February 2018
plenty of work and interesting but could be managed more better. Patient focused and a trust with big visions. an exciting and upcoming place to work.
Some times
Cateting (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire12 December 2017
I work in catering its hard work and alot of the time dont get treated very nice by other mebers of staff pushed for time a lot to get your jobs done
Its ok
MLA - medical laboratory assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire28 November 2017
The management is build from people who know someone, not that they deserve the job. The management is poor and the quality of work in NHS is based on family friends relations rather that professional recruitment.

The whole management should be replaced in order to gain efficiency of the entire organisation.
Pros
security
Cons
bad management
Personal Assistant and Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax24 October 2017
I would like you to stop asking me this as I woud not like to review my previous places of employment. This is a terrible idea and you shouldn't do it.
Not good working on a department if you not on medical side
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire20 August 2017
Working on a department as a housekeeper is not easy to fit in very much a them and us feeling ,can be talked down too . Its just as if you are invisible very lonely work environment.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
Not feeling appreciated would not recommend the environment
Boring and authoratarian
I held the position of Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax27 February 2017
This place, in particular the department I worked in should not be recommended for employment.

You are now reprimanded for talking while working and lord help you if you have any kind of disability that they make have to work around
Pros
you can leave at the end of the day
Typical modern NHS
Midwife (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire7 February 2017
Being a nurse/midwife is great, but working in the NHS has changed over the years. Change is needed but care has been taken out of the role and autonomous practitioner will soon be a redundant phrase.
Pros
Good team spirit when not too overworked
Cons
Long unsocial hours
productive
Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  huddersfield19 December 2016
Gain a lot of great work skills.
Great team work.
Gain confidence in alone working.
Making sure things are accurately checked is essential.
Constantly working towards deadlines.
Pros
Flexi-time
I enjoy working for an organisation that gives something of value to the community
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield4 November 2016
A typical day at work can be very busy, with colleagues asking me do all manner of clerical duties. I enjoy the variety in my job, as it makes for a pleasant environment in which to work. One of the hardest parts of the jobs is when I have several jobs to do at once, which I do nor mind as it gives me the opportunity to prioritise my work.
I would like to think that my colleagues respect me for who I am, they never swear in my presence.
Pros
I work in a very enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
Uncertainty about the future of my job
Busy and good atmosphere
Clerical Officer (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG22 April 2015
Simple job involving repetitive duties and basic work. I learnt a lot about how the hospital works and understand what goes on in the background to make sure that the patient care is at its best.
a day in the life of a ward sister.... fun
ward sister (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG10 August 2014
take hand over from night staff. distribute staff accordingly. follow through any immediate medical issues., ie contacting doctors re medical issues with patients. prioritise work load
medication round up to 2 hours depending on the medical status of patients, ensuring that medicines are taken safely and swallowed.
ensuring at the same time that patients are prepared for breakfast by nurses and health carers,
making, taking of multiple phone calls. prepare for any doctors that may be needed.
ensure co-workers have a short break, in stages, discuss with them needs of patients, plan of action! for the morning.
start hands on care needed, care planning, evaluation of needs required.
N.B...possible end of life care, if needed, this is the first job of the day, calling relatives if needed reassuring them as much as possible, discussing needs with doctors as soon as possible.

discuss any needs with ward clerk ensuring all communications are made ie. phone call she could make
by lunch time ensure all care have been given , prepare patients for lunch.
medicine round again /depoly to another nurse.
office work in the afternoon. meetings. liasing with matron any investigations that might need doing, audits, general ward work, i.e rotas,

hardest part juggling a dozen balls at once, end of the day job satisfaction of achieving all that and more .
much of the above occurrs at the same time keeping your eye on the ball at all times.
home and collapse .
Pros
job satisfaction