Calderdale Council Employee Reviews

Was a good place to work with but now alot of pressure and stresses due to poor management and continous restructures
Finance & Management Info Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire26 April 2018
I have learned a lot whilst working here, I have picked up loads of new skills and met many colleagues who are now friends from various walks of life. The management is quite poor here as all the experienced managers took retirement a few years ago.
This was a happy place to work in many years ago and now with all the restructures and no job security its quite dull and demoralising.
Pros
free parking, flexible working hours
Cons
very poor management
every day is different
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Calderdale, West Yorkshire13 February 2018
This role enquired a one-to-one role with a young individual to encourage their development. new ways of approaching young children in order to get them engaged into tasks. The management is very well organised and very friendly, a joy to work with. The hardest part can be trying to find new and fun things the individual enjoys however, it adds to the enjoyable part of the job as not only does it introduce the individual to new experience but also my self.
Challenging but rewarding
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire22 January 2018
I have worked for Calderdale Council for nearly 10 years. My sub-department is Libraries where I work as a Bi-Lingual Library Assistant.
Being a library assistant doesn't just mean that you issue & return books, it is such an amazing role that after the GPs public trust their local librarian the most (when I read this study, I said WOW!).

You make a difference in someone's life on daily basis; whether it is to do with benefit claims, bus pass renewals, insurance claims, holiday bookings, online hospital appointments, tablet and smart phone troubleshooting etc and the list goes on and on.
This is just an overview of what can be expected of a library assistant on a daily basis and sometimes the hardest part of the job is that you want to help someone but due to nature of the query you have to politely deny or signpost to another department or a service.

Since day 1 at my job, I noticed a caring culture both from colleagues and line management. This is something that has helped me all those years to stay focused and full of energy and go through the toughest of times with the support from people around me.
Pros
Challenging, Modern, forwars Thinking
Cons
False expectations of customers that we can do everything for them
Enjoyable while it lasted
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax13 December 2017
Typical day would involve collecting files of planning permissions, sorting, photocopying and inputting data onto computer. I learned how to balance out my work so I wasn't sat down or standing for too long, as standing and sitting for long periods is a problem for me. The hardest part of the job would be if had to sit or stand for too long, sorting a large file. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the job itself. I was offered more hours at the end of my contract, but was unable to accept, as I was going to have an operation in a couple of months time.
Pros
Only worked 11 hours a week.
Cons
Never got to try working more hours
Fun Work place
Swimming Teacher and receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire13 November 2017
Love working for calderdale council and would highly recommend anyone to take on the challenges of lifeguarding. the job was very outgoing and kept you on your toes.
Pros
fun in the workplace
Great Place to work
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire5 October 2017
great place to work but little job security worked there for just under a year through an apprenticeship and was never offered a job after the apprenticeship had ended
Seemed ok
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire16 September 2017
Was an ok place to work, atmosphere was nice but I got fired after 3/4 days for not being up to the job so it wasn't really worth my time. My job was dealing with phone calls from the public in regaurds to rubbish and waste collections.
Fun & committed teams
Sessional worker (Current Employee) –  Todmorden, West Yorkshire12 September 2017
I work in a couple of different teams but find the same fun and committed approach in the Leisure or Children's' services (Young carers) teams.
There is a wide range of people working here.
Pros
reduced price access to leisure, great job satisfaction
Cons
zero hour contract
Fun workplace
Leisure Attendant (Former Employee) –  Elland26 July 2017
Supervising swimmers making sure that everyone was safe. Keeping all areas clean. I also had to check the temperature and quality of the pool water, making any adjustments when required. I worked with a great team and the management were good to work with. The hardest part of the job was when it would get extremely busy and the fear of an accident. Being my first job I learned a lot about myself and how to work with people you don't always get on with. I enjoyed teaching children to swim and when they did those first strokes is the best feeling.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Unsociable hours
Don't bother
? Not sure what I was (Former Employee) –  Halifax18 June 2017
Very lazy culture within the markets. Everyone blames each other rather than just getting on with it, as long as your working the rest will sit around and let you do it then claim it as their own. Also certain employees WILL backstab and cause you problems then stand back, watch the fireworks and think it's funny.
You will be promised everything in the beginning and get nothing but frustrated.
Pros
Good
Sport Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Calderdale, West Yorkshire23 May 2017
working to increase sport and physical activity development across the district. focusing on target groups of disability, women & girls, young people etc
Great work life balance
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire10 May 2017
Great flexibility on how hours are worked, allowing employees to manage their week. Calderdale council offers great perks for it's employees outside of work.
Loyal
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire4 May 2017
Great company to work for when you get your foot in the door! Opportunity to develop skills and work with other departments. The best part of my job is the team I work with and the bond we have - this makes for a better work ethic!
Pros
Good Annual Leave allowance
Cons
Constantly under review
Very nice place to work lovely atmoshere
Customer Service Advisor (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire19 April 2017
A typical day here at customer first office is an enjoyable place to be. Helping the public is rewarding but can also be very demanding! The staff here are all very friendly and the more senior staff are very approachable.
Pros
easy going
Cons
N/a
Cronyism and nepotism are rife
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Halifax9 April 2017
Too many people are friends and family of managers and councillors, who circumvent the rules to employ them, and they're incapable of doing their jobs.
Loved working for them
General Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire17 March 2017
although i only did a school term working for calderdale, i enjoyed every part of it

I worked in various school kitchens as a general kitchen assistant
Pros
term time only
Cons
short contracts
Interesting and important service
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Calderdale15 February 2017
Very busy every days, often stressful dealing with vulnerable people Carers and staff related issues. All within budget constraints.
I learnt ways of dealing with people on different levels and gained valuable empathy with others...staff and other professionals.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Long hours and stressful
amazing place to work, loved this job thoroughly
(ISCAL) - Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire1 February 2017
Absolutely loved this job, great help and support towards me. the only thing i would say about it is that it was unsociable hours
Pros
good breaks, supportive workers
Cons
Unscoicable times, long days
good place to work
Kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax5 January 2017
A typical do at work was food preparation ,cooking ,dealing with adults and children I learned all lot about food ,food hygiene and customer service skills
Pros
good pay all year round
Cons
they wasnt any
Work place productive and fun
Leisure Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax8 November 2016
As I work for North Bridge, the work place is a bright and enjoyable work place. The staff work very well together which creates a welcoming atmosphere for customers, as we treat them with respect. From working at north bridge it has increased my confidence skills as I have to deal with customer enquiries and complaints all the time. The management also create a safe workplace as they stay on their feet all day to make sure the workplace hasn't any hazards to cause harm to customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calderdale Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Calderdale Council Reviews by Location