Calderdale Council

Calderdale Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews
Positive working atmosphere
Positive working atmosphere with continuous support and collaboration from colleagues.
Opportunities for advancement and training

Students and their families are put at the heart of what is done
Happy
Whilst working for calderdale council I enjoyed it very much, was met with challenges which was good, kept you on your toes, enjoyed all the school holidays (who doesn't) I miss those and I got to meet some fantastic teachers/staff and watched lots of children start, work their way through and then leave the school
Official response from Calderdale Council
19 May 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate you taking your time to review us and we will ensure this review is passed to the school.
Talk a lot about equal opportunities. The fact there is none.... just make up numbers to give justification. A tick excercise
A tight click of people who have been in Council 25 yrs waiting for pensions. Asian unfriendly organisation . Just to make up the numbers . If your face dont fit your out.
Productive and rewarding place to work
I enjoy working at Calderdale Council, it is a productive and rewarding place to work. I have had the opportunity to work up within my team and have been given more responsibilities.
Pros
Flexible Working if applicable
Official response from Calderdale Council
19 May 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback about working for Calderdale Council and we are pleased to hear you enjoy your role. We really appreciate you taking your time to review us.
Serious and supportive
It's a very serious role that I undertake, but the management are very supportive. The role has considerable responsibility, but training is good to support this. Great satisfaction in the role
Gym instructor and receptionist
Management is really bad , they are not professional, they do not do anything just sit and on the personal phone all the time. when you need any, they do not help. it is not best place to work.
8/10 im happy working shift work
Calderdale are a good authority to work for, there is advice and support for you if need be. Management are supportive and team work focus on a strength focus point of action.
Reality doesn't match the rhetoric
Calderdale Council sells itself on being about kindness.That is a great aspiration, but I would rather they got the basics right.

When I worked there, I did the same job on a casual basis for 5 years, with no job security. I then had short term contacts, which were extended without the notice period or information on redunancy that is required. HR made a mistake with my wages, so I only got paid the living wage allowance for a week between two roles and mistakenly deleted an acceptance of interview, so the panel were not there when I arrived. When I left, I also discovered I had 4 pension records.

People were very damaged by insecurity around future local authority funding and having been with the organisation for a long time. I did not feel valued and was belittled by managers when I raised concerns.

I learned that if a work situation is bad and it is not getting better, leave. Even very senior managers seemed unable to make changes to the culture in the time I was there. I am unlikely to work for a local authority again following this experience: the wages and conditions are better elsewhere.

The saddest thing was that there were truly excellent staff within the organisation, with great emotional intelligence who were a pleasure to work with. Seeing a number of them sidelined and increasingly overworked and unappreciated was one of the key factors in my decision to leave. I had the opportunity to work on some great projects towards the end of my employment, but all the experience and skill I built up on these went elsewhere when there was no role for me to move
 - more...
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calderdale Council?
Enjoyable and good experience.
The job I did was very enjoyable and was usually quite eventful, doing things such as assisting with creating websites, managing and correcting issues and other general web development things.
Highley Enjoyable
Very happy in current role. Staff and management are a joy to work with. Very organised and competent. Only gets 4 stars due to the lack of hours at times.
Good employer
I worked for Calderdale Council for several years and enjoyed my position. I had nice colleagues, management and was able to work flexibly due to childcare.
Pros
Flexible working, supportive management
productive and supportive
good place to work, management are flexible with workers who have children.
Poorly managed, makes the work stressful.
Managers Micro Manage
More Managers to staff Ratio

Staff turnover high

High Staff sickness

Rota is unworkable / weekend working.

High demand

Constantly changing daily criteria and demands to meet the needs of the service rather than that of the service user.

Very competitive work force between teams to gain management approval.

Target driven

Fast paced at times or no work at all.
Pros
getting home on time
Cons
No consistency.
Bust last 2 Occupational Health Managers
If you are successful for the Occupational Health Manager post - you will be working for a line manager who is unqualified for their post (no advanced education or professional qualifications, poorly trained, out of date and has never worked anywhere else in more than 30 yes. The last 2 occupational health managers were very unwell when they left. You will be asked to bend and stretch the rules to save the budget and pension scheme. The as talks about the place having innate kindness which is absolutely not my experience - sooo dishonest!
Pros
can't think of a worthwhile thing to say
Cons
Extremely disingenuous managers - mind how you go - apply caution for health sake
Going bust
Terrible employer to work for. Less people, less money but want even more from its staff. Loads of mental illness amongst staff. Lots of people leaving. Chaotic environment.probably going bust. Wages not great. Avoid if you can. Lots of 'its not what you know but who you know' kind of stuff going on when it comes to getting better jobs in there.
Pros
it's a job!
Cons
Bad managers, lots of dishonesty, treat people with disabilities and illness badly
Dead end Council
Calderdale is a dead end Council with very little to offer - it lives in the dark ages. Talks a good game but doesn't deliver for public or its staff. Managers are rubbish - most have been there years and haven't worked anywhere else. They're never around when you need them -always in meetings or on holiday. If Council was a private company it would be bust. Plus they've got this bonkers way of recruiting staff to Council jobs once your working for them - you have to do a personality test and the outcome it determines if you can have an interview for the job. Most people make up their answers to the test questions and loads of people in jobs they can't do, lol!
Pros
Like some of the people I work with
Cons
Low pay, poor trainning and career prospects
Dead end Council
Pros
Like some of the people I work with
Cons
Low pay, poor trainning and career prospects
Unkind people struggling in their jobs
Not an enjoyable place to work - very intense, heavy workload with tight timescales for completion, no job security and lots of in fighting within and between teams. A lot of people over promoted and unqualified to do their jobs. Constant restructures and very poor redundancy package. There are better people to work with out there and better places in. Don't get old in Calderdale - social services are in a mess. Pay was poor for what I was expected to do.
Pros
It pays some bills
Cons
Highly aspirational and poorly managed Council.
Grumpy employer
If you value health and job security don't come here - there's none, this isn't an employer for the faint hearted. It's a grumpy stressed out place to work - no fun. Managers talk rubbish and stretch the truth. Poor pay for what I do - feeling exploited. Looking for another job along with lots of other employees.
Pros
I have a nice view from my window
Cons
Robot thinking managers who don't know what they're doing
Needs educating on Staff Support
Not empathetic to staff needing support. Management and HR need to stop supporting each other and support the staff individual more. Things tend to get 'swept under the carpet' than being dealt with.
It's not what you know it's who you know ... awful place
Awful place to work ... restructure after restructure ...no money ... loads of people seriously stressed out - here today and gone tomorrow... managers that don't know what they're doing. so much back biting. Been here a couple of years and they expect so much of you. Grumpy place. People stressed out. Always disciplining people or threatening to - you're never good enough. HR's like the Gastapo - wouldn't trust them at all. They have a really bad reputation for how they treat people and in particular people who have illness. Unions a waste of time and its very expensive to join.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Everything a public sector employer should be it isn't
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calderdale Council. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8