Calderdale College

Calderdale College Employee Reviews

I worked with Calderdale as a student. They had me do many different tasks, from: green screen demonstrations to college promotion and filming for their events.
The college believe in the ‘bums on seats’ approach where staff are forced to qualify learners and falsify information to succeed statistically for funding purposes. Safeguarding is a serious issue where DBS checks do not coincide with educational good working practices. Senior management will NOT support you if anything is to occur.
Love to learn music here as its easy going and relaxed. All of te teachers are really helpful and are easy to talk to when you have got questions or enquiries about work.
One of WORST places I have ever worked out. Pros 1. Working with enthusiastic students 2. Holidays with children coinside - so good for family holidays etc. 3. Long summer holidays! Cons 1. Salary was terrible compared to the roles responsibility 2. The college has an awful culture of coersion and favirotism from management. 3. Experienced racism from the department by managers and some colleagues alike. I would avoid this place at all costs! It's not worth your time and effort to work in such a horrible environment where you are constantly worried about management having a go at you in front of students when you are in a classroom. They never took any complaint seriously, as all other colleges - it is just a money making game now - there is no care for any student actual attainment - if you truly care for your childrens education and future, please do not send them to a college, especially calderdale college!
Was let down badly by the Manager and felt bullied. Didn't get any real support when there was an incident. Took away all my confidence. I loved working with the Tutors and Students. Managers of the Department very unfriendly and not encouraging or helpful to the Staff.
Pros
Great Tutors and Students
Cons
No support in the role
It was quite fun to work here for a day. Fairly enjoyable. Good people. Staff are great. Although I didn't get paid, I got a piece of fruit for free at the end. Yay.
Pros
Dunno
Cons
No pay for doing more than I was expected
The lessons I learn in are extremely fun and makes me excited for the day ahead. I always learn something new and I always take the experience watching my teachers and hope to apply them skills to a job.
Pros
Breaks during long lessons
Cons
Some long days
My managers in the apprenticeship depapertment are fantastic, they don't try to micro manage you and allow you to get on with your job your way. They support well where needed and are costantly looking to help you with CPD
Pros
Manage my own working hours.
Cons
Tutors can be frustrating at times.
Worked here for some time and myself and some colleagues were bullied by management. We eventually resigned. I understand some colleagues in other departments also had similar treatment. My manager actually insulted me/verbally abused me when I was in a room full of students. The job itself was really enjoyable and rewarding and had management been different I would have stayed much longer. Salary very low for the responsibility of the job post. Highly unprofessional environment at times. Also witnessed racism from management. Looking back I undoubtedly could have taken the department to the cleaners due to the way I was treat. They are sneaky, they ask you if you are in Unison at interview. Avoid!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calderdale College?
A very enjoyable place to work with a culture of high achievement . I would recommend working at Calderdale College. I have worked here for over 5 years
Training course on working in the care sector, was a great environment to do the training in and the staff where great with teaching us, everything you needed to learn was all there for you.
The lecturers were really good as were some of the staff, the rest were quite rude Varied role and the college paid for courses that were relevant to the role I did
Calderdale college is an inclusive and flexible environment to work in, team working skills are fantastic. Positive and comfortable workplace to work
Pros
Team working environment with all colleagues
Cons
Facilitated learning 95% of times with barely enough delivery or directed teaching.
Fun, friendly and supportive place to work. Able and encouraged to undertake any courses CPD required for your position or to better your teaching abilities.
Pros
supportive management
Cons
I learned a lot in a short time, all staff were approachable and easy to get along with. Individuals i had to work with were passionate and friendly.
The majority of Co-workers are amazing people doing amazing work in impossible circumstances. What I have learned is there is a ruthless streak across the organisation which is new and is decimating the current culture and structure and creating an unpleasant work environment. The hardest part of the job has been the directive to improve provision with hands tied and limited resource. The most enjoyable part is seeing good people do their best for our young learners, in spite of unreasonable pressure and demands
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Volume of work with sort deadlines and changing direction mid tasks which wastes time
good college to be at with excellent staff your always learning new things and the staff never give up on you they are always looing to help you to succeed in life and in work
Pros
unlocking new potentials and opportunities
Cons
nothing
I was elected into the Students Union of Calderdale College for two years, and I believed that it was a very educational experience, and it taught me many things about working in a team and as a leader
Friendly happy place to work but fallen well behind the times, failing success rates and poor leadership always playing catch up year by year.
Friendly place to work, close colleagues are supportive. Less support from management level due to re - structure and cut backs. plenty of opportunity to progress.
Throughout the duration of the completion of my teaching qualification I have had the pleasure of working with a team that are all very helpful and will aim to get the students to achieve the best possible results while their time at the college.
  1. Employee reviews