Cake Box Employee Reviews

Productive workforce
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands28 June 2019
The job itself gets you running on your feet and its quite fun. The workplace environment is great the staff are amazing and helpful. the workload can be a lot depending on how many customer orders there are for that particular day.
Fast-pase work environment
Food production and Customer relations (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands12 April 2019
Great place to work in as it provides good experience and training to staff. The staff there are very nice and welcoming. You are able to choose from a variety of flexible shifts.
Pros
10% Staff Discount & Flexable Shifts
Cons
Minimum Wage
Management is awful.
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, Greater London21 March 2019
They got me in for a trial day which is unpaid obviously, then told me to come in the next day for the whole day. So that's what I did, waited for the manager ALL day, didn't come in. I was left confused and wondering if I'm going the get paid for my day of work or if I even got the job. One of the staff gave me the boss' number. I've called several times left messages and even went into the shop to find out what's going on. I haven't heaard from them. This is simply unacceptable and I feel used. (Walthmstow Cake Box) No idea what the salary is like either as I wasn't told.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
AWFUL management
I wouldnt recommend working at this company even to my worst enemy
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Small Heath, West Midlands4 March 2019
No clear instructions are given by managers
They are incredibly rude towards their staff threatening to fine them for minor incidences i.e. paying a £40 fine.
Staff members are not paid and are meant to work as free labourers during the first 14 days of working at the company as it is considered as a 'trial' period.
When raising your concerns with the managers you will find your self having reduced hours of work.
Managers have continuously advertised the jobs with incorrect information i.e. pay rates and working hours.
Cons
Terrible as they do not treat staff equally, within pay, respect and their physical differences.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands26 February 2019
Working at Cake Box, allowed me to engage with different customers day in day out, learning about new techniques and designs.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with complaints, every complaint had to be dealt in a different manner, to ensure everything was dealt with.

I enjoyed being creative everyday, i have always been an individual that has enjoyed being artist and creative and being able to put all my creativity into the cake designs was amazing.
Pros
Free Birthday Cake on your Birthday
Cons
Long Hours
Not a secure job.
Back of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crawley30 January 2019
I worked here for approximately 3 weeks, was given little to no training then was basically made to get on with it, was given no probation period but then told 3 weeks into work were talking about my 'probation period' and then my hours were 'released' and will be called on a basis when and if they need me i have also now realised another girl that was hired after me has been basically given my position which was full time. Wasn't even asked for any form of identification to start the job so could have been anyone also was never offered a contract so had no leg to stand on when told that i have effectively lost my job. Everyone looks out for themselves, Only if you are already skilled in making cakes should you go for this position as if you're not, like me you'll be left with nothing. I enjoyed the 'work' side of things and only when i really started getting the hang of it was i then dropped like i haven't got a life to pay for.
Very unreliable and now ill never ever go for a job without an official contract,Very disappointing.
Pros
Fun Job
Cons
Not secure
fun place
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Gravesend7 January 2019
Good place to work if you have passion for decorating cakes. you need good speed. best if the training is given in complete way. nice staff and good management.
Strafford Road, Cakebox
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Strafford Road, Birmigham18 October 2018
Staff are not trained properly to deal with hard customer's complaints. The staff from back of the house do not know how to Welcome customers. No team work involved, everyone blaming each other and no flexibility.
The hygiene of the place is not good. If there is an issue, manager takes ages to resolve it.
Too much work, standing long hours and team leader and management don't care.You are expected to work Front of house and Back of the house,expectations are really high. There is a lot of favouritism. Team leader is not always available on the set shifts to take authority to refund customers if necessary (Due to Staff or processing error).
Head office just make the decision but no support given to employees and just expected from employees.

Pros
10% cake discount
Cons
No team work
I have reviewed this summary to the best of my knowledge and with truth
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Bolton19 September 2018
I have worked at cake box for almost 7 months. I enjoy the job as I like putting my ideas and creating the cake for our clientele’s making sure that the cake they have ordered for the special occasion they leave happy and satisfied as the work I put in means more to me then the customer. As first impression always lasts.
Pros
Gaining experience and knowing that each order we get is a new challenge
Cons
The hours are not regular.
Fun work place and creative ideas
Cake Decorator and customer dealing (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire24 July 2018
This company is good. More opportunities and challenging job with creative work. Honourable job and secure payment plan. I enjoyed my job and also missed my job.
Pros
Free tea and snacks
Good experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 July 2018
I had a very enjoyable experience working in this cake shop which is often busy and where there is always something to do even when it's not. Nice collegues and management.
Always talk rude
Decorator (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire17 July 2018
Very very bad experience with cake box .paying little rate no respect.... paying £25 or £35 per day . Nine hours job . Really very bad no contact no payslips
cake box derby, great place to work.
Cake Decorator/ team leader (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 July 2018
I have been working at Cake Box, Derby, for nearly 5 years. It was hard at the beginning learning a new skill, totally away from my comfort zone. But the management and senior staff made the whole experience enjoyable and wanting to work for and be part of such an established company. I thoroughly enjoy each day I work here and the whole group, staff and management are really nice to work with.
Pros
great atmosphere
Horrible place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire29 April 2018
- Poor Management
Very rude towards their staff
Expect you to know the job yourself
No help what so ever
Pay WAY Under Minimum Wage
No good given feedback on your job just cons
Overall, management was terrible, expect you to clean everything spotlessly with no help at all and do not treat staff equally.
No progress in this place and no equality.
No respect towards their staff.
Lastly, Hygiene is disgusting in this place!
Don’t even want to rate this place 1 star.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Long hours! BAD management! Pay under minimum wage
Absolutely terrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 December 2017
Long hours with no help. No teamwork, everyone just looked after themselves. The whole hygiene is very poor. I wouldn't buy cakes from them. You don't even get cake discount. No training from anyone so you are expected to know everything yourself. I don't work there no more. I don't even want them give them a 1 star they don't deserve that. Really bad management!!!
not a good work place
manager assistant (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London30 August 2017
The food hygienic is very poor. The staff is not working together as a team. The management are not taking care about the employees. No breaks given during the shifts.
Pros
easy and simple job
Cons
no breaks during the working shift
Rewarding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire19 July 2017
The job consist of opening and closing the shop, serving customers, answering the phone and managing stock.
I leaned valuable customer service skills.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers.
Horrible place.
Decorator (Former Employee) –  Tooting Bec Station14 March 2017
Don't get me wrong. The job is really cool (if you love cakes) but some staff and managers were so disrespectful. They are not professional, and don't know a lot about Decorating techniques but they treat you really bad. They only give you 25 minutes break and the shift was 9 hours!!!! So they don't care about the staff.
Pros
Cakes? Just that.
Not good
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire2 February 2017
I was really disappointed. The manager ask me to go for training at least a week (for free, they are not paying for training) till they think I am ready to start.
And no lunch break for 9 hours shift (just to eat a quick sandwich in 10 min)
Pros
Cakes discount
Cons
Unpaid training
Busy workplace with limited staff
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Strood18 November 2016
Overall the work environment is well established and has a strong public eye,however the communication within staff is poor and low.
Pros
Free lunch on Saturdays
Cons
Too much work for less salary