Caffe Nero Employee Reviews

good place
Barista Cashier (Former Employee) –  London22 July 2018
nice people nice but hard job always meeting new people and remembering a regular customers , had so many experience gained lovely team and best manager
Great fun, but not well paid.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwich17 July 2018
Caffe Nero is a great place to work, provided you have the right manager.

The team are trained to work well together, and the ethos is to have fun and work hard. The pay is not great, however, and the job is not easy.

The best part of the job : the team
Worst part: the pay
Pros
Excellent staff discounts on food and drink (Free coffee at work!!)
Cons
Low salary
fun place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon8 July 2018
Great company to work for, always a busy job role there was always something to do. Learned alot and are quick to progress you if you desire it enough.
Pros
great discounts on food and drink
NoJ ob Work/Life Balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 July 2018
There is no work/life balance....paid for 48h worked almost 60 every week.
It's an hard job, however Caffe Nero is giving the possibility to grow up quickly to a management role
Pros
career grow
Cons
long hour
fun
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Belfast27 June 2018
Face paced and exciting environment to work in. Very company focused and they drive you to be the best at your job. Overall happy to work for them on a daily basis.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
learned how to manager a business and manage a different people and training stuff fro start and make sure the lear to the job perfectly , and help the manager with all the management roll
worst complicated
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2018
bad hour shifts plus nights shift (soho)
no breaks or really short ones
orribile management
more then 50hours per week sometimes with only one day off
Chilled and enjoyable
Barista, Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sudbury3 June 2018
Made good relationships with regular customers. Very friendly environment and supportive team. Team morale is boosted with group activities and regular team meetings. Overall good place to work but the wage y increase with position is almost not worth it.
Pros
Discount on food and free hot drinks.
Cons
Wage increase with progression is not much.
Fast paced, good training, many issues
Barista/shift leader (Former Employee) –  Sutton30 May 2018
The stores themselves can be real fun to work in, however there are a lot of demands placed on your personal time, you are expected to attend out of hours parties or explain why, you are expected to be available hours before your shift starts if they call you in and also hours after so don't you dare make any sort of appointment because if you refuse to stay you can be subject to disciplinary action, believe me, they will find something to blame you for so they can call you in for That. Training is exceptional however and they really seem to want to create a great environment when you train but you can't implement all they want you to at floor level without having to justify things to management, it's hard work for as little as they can get away with paying and is painfully understaffed.
Fabulous job for young, single people who love to socialise out of work and grow real friendships with their colleagues, not so great if u have a family or outside commitments, basically if you can commit 100% of your time to them you will do great.
Pros
Meals on shift, free coffee, great training
Cons
Long hours, very demanding on your time
Ok
Shift Leader/Barista (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 May 2018
Well I enjoy serving customers. Taking orders and making them. We do have the nero party as well. Though ts busy at times. It's still a fun place to work.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
flexibility needed
Huge Contract
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North West11 May 2018
Best trained staff off all major chains for coffee but shops are ran so tightly on hours that staff turnover is a constant issue due to workload. Store Managers are not actually managers but Baristas that need to find time somehow to do any sort of leadership work on massive 48 hour contracts. Also you will do more than 48 hours. You will end up covering holidays/sickness.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long hours.
nice people but hard work.
Barista (Current Employee) –  London10 May 2018
I met most of my friends there because of the team work we had to do daily. I will miss my baristas. the day could start really early like 5 in the morning but I did start at 7 at least. After a time that goes from 5 to 8 ours I was finishing my shift and go back home tired.
Pros
discounts and free coffe
Cons
for covers only.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf29 April 2018
In caffée nero the work was really nice because the atmosphere is confortable despite the fact that some times the store is very busy the team was always friendly with me and help me to do a good job .
With them i improved my level of english because i talking always with the custumers trying to put them in a confotable atmoosphere and selling our differents products .
Pros
free lunches
fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset12 April 2018
great coffee skills. will recommend the job to someone who wants to be trained to become a store manager, however all depends on how the store manager is.
Pros
free coffees on shift
Cons
very hard work in some stores
Exhausting and depressing
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Cheshire10 April 2018
I’ve worked for the company for over 1 and a half year, only stayed that long cause I had no choice...it’s great if you really need something to pay your bills, as you’ll always find a job in Nero (thanks to the massive staff turnover that the company just simply ignores), but work even harder in your own time to get yourself somewhere they appreciate you and you’re not only “family” when they try to make you work 20-30 mins unpaid overtime almost every day or work on your days off.

People are mostly lovely, that’s true, but eventually everyone becomes pretty much like a robot and - I truly believe that it wasn’t only my store - it’s not fun, even though I'm genuinely trying to say something positive about Caffe Nero. 20 mins break should be illegal especially if you work 9-9.75 hours (which is 15 mins less then 10 hours) on your feet, while you literally have no time to stop and have a sip of water (it actually happened to me at least 70% of the time). I wouldn’t mind having unpaid breaks, but then at least an hour. Also, trying to push staff to do more and be faster, friendly when the store is understaffed, having an all day long queue with 2-3 people on shift because area managers wouldn’t allow more staff to work, saying the “sales forecast isn’t that high”. Giving loads of free things out for customers, O2 Tuesday when it gets reslly busy but thanks to the free coffee, sales numbers won’t allow you to have an appropriate number of staff according to how busy the actual day is.

I’m just happy I’m out of there. If you wanna stay in the coffee industry, go and benefit
  more... from your experience in a nice, independent coffee shop instead of the McDonalds like atmosphere, where they try to sell rubbish coffee for a ridiculous price. Literally, I couldn’t see the difference between the 2 chains, only that McDonalds actually pays more and less expensive...  less
Pros
Making friends
Cons
Everything else
fun work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  Broughty Ferry, Dundee City7 April 2018
Easy fun day at work

Learned about different coffee and milk kinds.
Good management
Great atmosphere and culture in work.
Nothing is hard about any job if you enjoy it
Barista - Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk29 March 2018
To join Caffe Nero from bean to blend to roast to all trainings was something special. I had lots of fun along the way in striving for excellence every day : )
Love to be a part of it again : )
best coffee???
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge22 March 2018
people were always calling in sick and manager was pushing for me to come to work on my day off...plus the people working there weren't very nice those few times they did turn up to work
Pros
not sure
Cons
pay
Good place if you want to progress
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent21 March 2018
Caffe Nero is a good company if you want to progress, but in order to do that you need to be really hard worker and you need to be lucky as well( to have a good manager). Salary is a disgrace but the brand and culture are very strong this depending on the manager as well.
Pros
culture
Cons
bad pay rate
Good for progression, not for a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 March 2018
Caffe nero is an okay at best place to work. The hours can be long, the customers can be brutal and the targets almost unreachable, Though I cant fault the skills and progression that was involved in my time at nero. The training is also great, it's just unfortunate that they dont pay as much as other coffee chains to deal with as much of the bad things. I wish that they would value their employees more
Pros
skills and progression
Cons
Very long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caffe Nero. Our community is ready to answer.