Cafe Rouge

Cafe Rouge Employee Reviews

United Kingdom126 reviews
Work was ok. The hours were long and I personally had a difficult transport situation. Leaving after midnight made it difficult to get home. The staff were generally nice.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Busy day in the kitchen, I moved from being a commis to head chef over a few years. Good progression if you want this type of development.
Managed the food production and kitchen team

Hardest part was to juggle maintaining the stock levels and accounting for stock differences

Most irritating part of the role was the weekly Sunday stock check
i love iit work there few years ago in Bournemouth
What you see is what you get with this job, it is a faced paced waiting job and best suited to people with experience as a lot is expected from the waiting staff as its meant to be some form of upper class.
Progression comes with a complete loss of a work/ life balance as it is impossible to do all that is required in hours provided.

Hourly staff are given low hour contracts so sometimes they are over worked and others they can just about support their financial commitments despite being told they will have a certain amount of hours per week during the interview process.
Pros
Staff meal
Cons
Unreasonable Expectations
No work life balance, management don’t care about you as long as you turn up. Contracted hours are a lie, they are a target apparently. Be prepared to work, for free.
a place that was very hard to work with no real support. It was a hard posting with lack of kitchen staff. Area manager was not very helpful at all with no real forward planning
I was working at cafe rouge Newbury for long time and at the beginning it was best place I ever worked for but then with new manager place changed to dirty disrespectful discrimination place I ever known
Short of staff for about a year, if you complain to the management you may be discriminated against, no work-life balance, yet the salary is competitive. progression takes time, your skills are not taken into consideration instead the employees that are closer to the manager are likely to get the promotion, very toxic environment, they hire mostly Eu people who just arrived in the country and are able to tolerate any wrongdoings and usually they quit after 5-6 month once they realize its a bad place. This situation is observed mainly in central London, other places may be better due to the higher percentage of British employees which results in higher working standards.
was good place to work at. you get lot of experience and learn a lot I will tell my friends and family about it and how great café rouge is. the most enjoyable about the jobs is the people who work there.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cafe Rouge?
After 5 years of working for this company, I was driven out by poor management and aggressive new members of staff that were never reprimanded. In its current state, I would not recommend eating or working at Cafe Rouge Hitchin.
Not the best place to work. Management is very poor and the salary was awful. We’re very flexible at first with hour and then started taking the mick. Would recommend to start getting some experience but definitely not if it’s your main job or if you have any experience at all
I have a lot of problems with the membership and the management. That is why I leave from Cafe Rouge. Bat I like Cafe Rouge because was very easy for me.
While working hear when we where haveing issues there was no support form head office and many individuals started to struggle not only with there mental health but physical health because of this and nothing was done. Because of this and a management change I chose to leave and very glad I did.
At the interview, the job, sounded exciting, new restaurant, mostly new staff, but once you get started, the hours are long, management are rude and demanding, your hours can be cut at any time, the turn over of staff is high,
I worked long time in this restaurant, the salary is good, and the tips are amazing. I had a problem with the manager, for that im not working any more there.
working at cafe rouge was a very good experience especially as my first ever job. my peers were very kind and the management was amazing they really care for their workers.
Too many hours spend at work. Problems with a lot off stuff. Not a job for a proper chef good if u want to start your carrier in the kitchen. Very demanding
I think this was one of the best places i have worked in all fairness. I think this is due to the management wich they were incredible. I had to move far away hence leaving otherwise would still be there.
Good place to start with no college qualifications as training is provided but no real hands on food experiences. Hours are long and often at times very short staffed
friendy collegues
good manager

good money

good time

sometimes too long working hours especialy at night

I had to wait with the last customer, sometimes till midnight