Cafe Rouge Employee Reviews

Same as any restaurant
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa3 January 2019
Same as any restaurant. Long on social hours, lots of expectancy with not enough labour. Very rarely get recognition for the work you do. Best part is the people you get to work with.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Long unsocial hours
French style cafe
Comis Chef (Former Employee) –  York3 January 2019
I have enjoyed working at Cafe Rouge, though it was some years ago. It was my first job, I enjoyed working as part of a hard-working team providing service in busy circumstances.
good work place
Waitress and Barista (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2018
friendly colleagues, a lot of new things to learn quickly and quite strict management. Free selected meals, opportunity to be relocated snd to cover shifts in different restaurants.
Fun fun fun
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Cardiff City, Cardiff6 November 2018
I worked for Cafe Rouge Cardiff whilst I was at University and can honestly say I really enjoyed my time here. I loved my team as we all supported each other when necessary, worked hard and played hard too. There was never a dull day. The manageress was particularly supportive during my studies and really approachable. The downside was that it was fairly low pay (which is expected in the hospitality industry) and I had to work a fair few shifts on weekends (as a student I didn't like this idea but recognised the weekends are Cafe Rouge's busiest operating hours - the manager often let me slip out early if I had a night out to go to though).
serveur maître d hôtel
serveur (Former Employee) –  birmingham angleterre8 October 2018
agréable et accueillant avec clients
prise de commande
savoir faire
Avoid
Food runner (Former Employee) –  Mailbox Birmingham6 September 2018
Absolutely the worst management ever. I worked in the mailbox and it’s disgusting. Dips fingers in food before serving to customers. Reheats food customers comaplinrd about being warm instead of serving a fresh plate. Caught staff eating fries off people’s plates before serving them and not cleaning or washing any cutlery before using it to serve customers especially if they were in a rush.

Expected to work long hours yet they failed to pay me for over a month. Put you on shifts you cannot do and have some of the most vulgar and WORST attitudes. If you are NOT happy in your job sector..LEAVE. They also team up and talk rubbish aboutbohter employees and customers.

Caught a few chefs picking noses and have bad odours. Good luck with your stomach eating from that place. The hygiene is ABSOLUTELY POOR.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, horrible pay, poor hygiene
Fun atmosphere
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Bath14 August 2018
Overall, not the worst place to work. Management could have been a lot more organised. Relationship between front of house and kitchen was never very friendly. Pay wasn't the worst but the hours were often cut at short notice.

Good training given and very high standards of food health and safety.
Pros
Staff meals
a typical day at work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 August 2018
A typical day at Cafe Rouge involves making sure that the restaurant is at the highest standard of cleanliness in order to serve our guests. Checking that all staff are present for their shift according to the rota, this includes the front and the kitchen. Through out the day my main focus is to provide the guest with friendly and efficient service, this encompasses tasks such as serving food and drink on time. The goal of my service is too ensure that the guests enter and exit the restaurant with a smile.Thus interacting with the guests was the most enjoyable part of the job. On the contrary the hardest part of the job was during extremely busy periods when the restaurant was full and it was tough to maintain high levels of service from all the staff members in order to serve the food on time and also to support staff who struggle to keep up with the demand and have a hard time facing the pressure. What I learnt from this was that the management was responsible for keeping up the moral in between the staff in order for our customer service to thrive.
Pros
working environment was positive
If you could give it 0 stars I would
Waiter/waitress (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire22 July 2018
The management team is a joke, the hours are crazy with minimum wage, you get rewarded for working hard with harder longer shifts, the management have obvious favourites, with those members of staff getting the ideal shifts and being treated differently, I’ve never had a manager who can change the atmosphere in the restaurant so much, the moment they walk in there’s a negerive energy amount at the staff. I would never work for this company again or with this particular member of staff again. In my opinion the only way to improve this restaurant would be to close it
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Management and pay
a lively fun workplace
waitress (Former Employee) –  Highgate15 June 2018
my day at work consisted of waiting tables, taking orders and cleaning tables and interacting with customers mainly. I was given many responsibilities such as opening and closing up in the restaurant. The workplace culture was lively and an active place to work. The hardest part of the job was working long hours at peak times but it required me to be more efficient and deal with customers so i learned to be more adaptive to many different situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and learning new skills.
Pros
free lunches
Horrible management
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire10 April 2018
This is an awful place to work. It is understaffed and the head chef and manager are aggressive and unwilling to teach new comers. The culture in the workplace is miserable and no one would even say hello to me when I came in. A typical day was supposed to be some washing up and then learning how to make some of the dishes on the menu but I was just put on washing up and only one person even tried to show me anything.
I am confident that having to work in tha restaurant for such a long time gave me enough experience to apply for this job.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk27 March 2018
Working in the restaurant I learned how to deal with customers, their complaints and demands. I feel I would like to progress more so I could use my native language as well as English.
Some nice staff
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Loughton, Essex22 February 2018
Terrible management. Too many managers coming and going, no constistency and alot of collegues very slack. Hardest part of the job was working so hard when barely anybody around me bothered...but i blame the management, or lack of!
Pros
free lunch, depending on the boss
Cons
always clean when i left my area of work, always dirty on return
Poor management
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  East Anglia24 January 2018
Poor comms with area manager, poor training structures, manager walked out during training, very high turn over, high amount of complaints from guests
Pros
Cons
Bad area manager who doesn’t care about restaurant
Chef
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 January 2018
I was happy in cafe rouge good team of people but was way to high houers and mainly no staff , no proper training a lot presure vut was really good experience
Pros
Breaks proper
Cons
Not that long houers
busy and entertaining environment
Supervisor / Waitress (Current Employee) –  St Albans7 December 2017
typical day at work is very organized cause company follows certain standards. I've learnt about food and hygiene standards all over UK.
Most enjoyable aspect of working for CR is contact with customer and possibility to promote company.
Pros
team meals
great
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bermondsey27 November 2017
really enjoyed my time working here. fun staff and customers. never felt under too much pressure from management which made us perform at our best . we also got to try out several roles throughout the centre.
Povides a good trainig,can be fun to work,strong team,variaty of menu, plesant customers,hard to recruit kitchen team,demamding hours,poor benefits fo
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pinner16 October 2017
learned how to train team,busy environment lots of paper work,shortage of cover when manager is away,language issues most of kitchen team is non English spoken,hardest part recruitment,and customers complaints,
Cafe rouge ( former staff)
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, UK17 September 2017
general manager always changed rota and can't take holiday when you want. Always have to work all of xmas and never got to spend time with family.....
Pros
Made some good friends.
Cons
Long hours no life. Management horrable when phone in sick. Low wage. Hard work.
Good experience
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 August 2017
As my first job cafe rouge helped me a lot, they gave me a job when i had little to no experience. I was only a kitchen porter but i did learn a lot from working here, i learned how to communicate within a team and how to calmly deal with problems that occur within the job.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Rouge. Our community is ready to answer.