CVS Group Employee Reviews

Great for opportunities if you work hard
RVN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 October 2018
I felt I had to leave a review as my experience is so different to some of the recent reviews. I have been here for 9 months now and while there are challenges the job is great and the team and wider company have been everything I could have hoped for.
The interview process was professional and they were upfront with me about the practice I was joining and the challenges it faced. I went into the role knowing what I would be doing and over the month beforehand got my welcome pack and lots of contact from the practice. After I started I had a month of induction and support to get up to speed and was booked onto some more formal courses for the coming months. My salary compared favourably with rival practices and companies and is based on bands that are published and clear.
I work the hours contracted and my local manager is great - she's young and inexperienced but I see the support she gets and then I get it from her.
The best bit for me has been the training and opportunities. I have worked hard and asked to do things and they've always said yes. I now have areas of responsibility and can see where I will go next in the company.
Maybe people should look to themselves to work hard, ask the right questions and be part of the positive culture they want.
Pros
Good salary, great opportunities, work the hours contracted for
Cons
Difficult clients
Not worth the hassle!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire26 September 2018
This company seriously mis sold the receptionist role at interview. You would think you'd be answering the phone, booking appointments on the computer, checking in animals etc. And while you do those things there is also a LOT of other work they do not mention beforehand such as cleaning consultation rooms including clinical waste disposal and animal mess (why do the nurses or vets not clean this up?) mopping floors, emptying bins and clinical waste disposal etc.
Gloves or aprons are not provided for this. On top of this you are expected to answer the phone in 3 rings or less so expect to be shouted at if you do not!
You will also be told you have to be present when animals are PTS and you must learn animal handling as in some branches they will only have a receptionist and a vet working so you will have to help restrain any number of animals. Sound like a nurses job? Well apparently CVS do not think nurses are necessary when they can make the min wage receptionist do it.
You will also be made to travel miles to other branches to cover those, open up and lock up by yourself which is daunting when you are new but they will tell you you HAVE to do it. This is going to be very hard for anyone without their own transport.
The line managers will pressure you to learn everything within the first couple of weeks and if you don't they will make you feel stupid. They talk down to you when they are not intelligent themselves, they have just worked there for years and learned the processes already so will often be smug about it. This is not as good way to teach people in my opinion.
  more... May be good at their jobs but ZERO people skills.
There are a couple of lovely vets who you can tell have a passion for the job and love animals - but just remember they are getting paid 30-40k a year.
At the end of the day this is min wage - is it really worth all the hassle and stress for such poor pay? I think not, so am looking for a new job.
Pros
Animals and some telephone/computer experience
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay, patronising line managers
Awful place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Saxmundham, Suffolk30 August 2018
Staff turnover is so high due to poor and rude clinical director at Fromus. Used to be a thriving practice and fun place to work but has seriously lost its way. Would definitely not recommend
Pros
Animal interactions
Cons
Badly run and money motivated
RVN (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 July 2018
Left this company after three months. Contract not received so not paid for three months and constant excuses for not doing so. Admin is appalling but they waste no time making sure clients pay up! Badly understaffed and heavy use of poorly supervised students who are expected to complete tasks they are not qualified or properly trained to do. This company exists to make money the welfare of the animals is secondary and welfare of staff not considered at all.the staff i worked with tried hard to provide the care and attention the animals needed but that's was down to their own need to do so, certainly not the company's.
Pros
Cons
long hours unpaid overtime poor admin
27 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and the experiences shared in your review are not something we take lightly. We are passionate both about animal care and about providing the right support and working environments for all of our colleagues.

Thank you again for your feedback, which we will learn from, and if you would like to discuss any of the points that you have mentioned further, please do get in touch by emailing us at recruitment@cvsvets.com and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you.

Great place to work!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Norfolk13 July 2018
I feel very valued working here at CVS. I have a great team around me and I feel extremely proud to be part of a successful group that places such a strong emphasis on valuing and developing our people, delivering clinical excellence and exceptional client care. The flexible working opportunities on offer are the best I've ever experienced and the many other benefits on offer are fantastic!
The support teams work tirelessly to help us and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly.
27 July 2018

Absolutely no care for staff, driven purely by profit
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom10 July 2018
So far my experience of working under CVS has been quite negative. After being promised "everything will stay the same" and "we're not target driven" I have come to understand exactly how this company operates - sadly they are primarily focused on money rather than the wellbeing of their staff. They cream the profits off everything - charging practices more for their lab and crematorium. The sheer volume of acquisitions has driven this company into the ground with very little support from Head Office (owing to their recruitment and staff retainment issues) most of the positive reviews are from Regional Directors, desperately trying to promote CVS as a "great company to work for" it's very sad times indeed that a company so large fails to recognise basic good management and as a result staff feel undervalued, under pressure and demoralised.
Pros
Reasonable holiday and sickness allowance. Decent training opportunities
Cons
Down- trodden by poor middle management, lack of support. Pay for my particular role is dismal.
27 July 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. The happiness and satisfaction of our colleagues is something we take incredibly, incredibly seriously and candid comments like yours are immeasurably helpful in identifying where we need to focus most in the coming months.

Thank you again for your feedback, this is the type of information that helps us grow and keep improving. If you would like to discuss any of the points that you have mentioned further, please email us at recruitment@cvsvets.com and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you.

Great Company to work for
Head Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cornwall4 July 2018
Working for CVS has saved my career, after 10 plus years as a nurse i was getting bored with veterinary life then CVS came along and i can truly say they saved my career, i have loved working for a big company and being involved with the decision making of practice life. I like the structure of a big company it gives an idea on how you can progress up the ladder and thats something nurses have trouble with in the past - I feel very valued and supported.
The bonus scheme is amazing
Pros
Many many benefits
Cons
can't think of any
27 July 2018

Thank you for your review, to hear such positive comments is so motivational and the satisfaction and success of our nurses is absolutely paramount to us as a company and something we are passionate about.
We believe we have some brilliant training, development and career opportunities to offer nurses and hope that the experiences you have shared help other nurses who are considering joining CVS.
Thank you again and your feedback is hugely appreciated!

Life as Regional Director with CVS
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Devon and Cornwall2 July 2018
I joined CVS and the industry in Jan 2017, From day 1, I could feel the passion and desire in the company to do the very best for the animals and clients. I had a structured induction period and learnt very quickly that the culture of a Caring Business ran throughout the company.
CVS has given me the opportunity to develop my multi-site skills, but also encouraged me to use my experience from other industries and bring these to CVS.
Long hours in the car, as with any multi-site role, but spending time with my teams in practices to develop their skills and the level of care that we delivers is one of the most enjoyable pieces of the job
Great support from the other Regional Directors means that there is always someone there to support you, when you may need i
Pros
Freedom to develop my team and clinical services
Cons
Time in the car, but hey, part of the job!!!
27 July 2018

Thank you for such a positive review, your feedback is really important to us and is very gratefully received.
We want to continuously improve what we are doing and feedback like yours is a great barometer for us. We hope that your positive comments will help others who are thinking about joining CVS.
Thank you again and your feedback is really appreciated!

Not the best company to work for
Trainee Veterinary Nurse (Former Employee) –  England18 June 2018
I did not enjoy working for this company at all, my work/life balance went out of the window I was working all the time and I was having to pay for my travel in between practices because I didn’t drive. I was made to feel less than everyone else all the time which started to take its toll on me personally as well. I was given no warning about my probation meeting and was just told one day that I was having a meeting and that I wasn’t working hard enough even though I was working my socks off. I was always put on the spot about things that had gone wrong even if I wasn’t in on the day that the mistake happened. The pay was awful it definitely isn’t enough for the amount of stuff that you had to deal whether it was the long hours, the job itself or the staff members. You would never get a full lunch you’d always get called to do something, if they over booked on stuff you’d had to do all of it and you’d get the backlash if anything ever went wrong.I throughly enjoyed the job itself it’s just a shame about that it all went wrong.
Pros
The animals, the job itself.
Cons
Hours, travel and pay.
27 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your experiences are something we take seriously. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us wasn’t a positive one and we are continuously looking at ways to improve what we do and make our employee experiences the best they can be. We will use your feedback to help us do this.

Thank you again for your feedback and if you would like to discuss any of the points that you have mentioned further, please email us at recruitment@cvsvets.com and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you.

Flat recruitment process
Business support (Former Employee) –  Diss, Norfolk12 June 2018
The culture shows signs of stress, and classic fast growth strain, (disgruntled employees at meet and greet) no doubt there are some really good opportunities. However, withdrew from the application process after a haphazard interview (not prepared for me, but expected me to be prepared) and a luke warm reception( one interviewer left mid way through initial meeting). When you are seeking talented people I think it's critical you are prepared and aligned at every point of the process this organisations maturity level is not yet sophisticated enough to understand the importance of presentation of its brand on the employee side. This was the impression I was left with.
Pros
Good salary for location
Cons
Not able to translate vision and values
27 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience. Clearly, we didn’t get things right in your recruitment experience and would like to apologise for this. We are always evaluating and identifying enhancements to the way we recruit and will be using your feedback to help us with this.

A great job offering great opportunities for the future
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon24 May 2018
CVS is a big company with thousands of employees enjoying a diverse range of roles. So every bodies day is different. The local practice teams are fantastic and everybody works hard to deliver excellent clinical standards and the best in client care.
Like most jobs people work very hard every day , but pay and benefits are good and the company values its employees.

Job stability is excellent and there are plenty of opportunites for promotion.
Pros
fantastic practice teams
Cons
Many hours spent in the car
27 July 2018

Thanks for your feedback! You're right that valuing and developing our colleagues is a huge focus for us and always will be. We're always looking at ways to keep enhancing what we are doing and it’s great to get positive feedback like yours that shows we are getting some things right. The need to keep improving and evolving will always be there and no doubt there will be challenges along the way in this amazing industry, however, we're optimistic about the future and hope you'll stay along for the ride!

Exciting times for professionals seeking to be the best they can be
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  South East24 May 2018
It’s great to be working for such a forward thinking, innovative, and rapidly growing corporate organisation who position their core values around its people (staff), clients / patients, and clinical excellence - something which remains at the heart of CVS (UK) Ltd.

A constantly evolving culture which sees its employees, operating at all levels, and spanning the many different functions within the group, encouraged to share their ideas and perform in their roles with autonomy and confidence.

CVS (UK) Ltd is a great place for those individuals seeking to foster a professional career in the world of veterinary services - for both clinical and non-clinical personnel alike - with personal development, and very real (transparent) career development, available to all who strive to be the best in their field and aspire to grow within the large family that is CVS (UK) Ltd.

A business who have managed to retain their identity, amidst massive expansion, and who encourage the same of their network of clinical practices, resulting in the provision of quality local services and patient care - nationwide - delivered by highly skilled teams with a true local / community identity.

Now feels like a very exciting time to be part of the continued CVS journey...
Pros
Very visible and varied career path options, supportive management framework, all employees are given a voice
Cons
Central support function challenges brought about by rapid company expansion
Great opportunities
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  West of England23 May 2018
Having in worked in practice CVS have provided me with great opportunities to develop my career.
The culture has been positive throughout and looks for the best ways to improve practices and look after their staff.
I would recommend CVS to anyone looking to work in the veterinary industry.
Pros
Good work life balance.
An honest review...
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Diss, Norfolk16 May 2018
I have worked for a number of companies that do not care about their staff and purely care only about their financial gain. CVS has differed from these and is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Offering more flexible working, genuinely encouraging professional development and to also allow you to take your annual leave - which trust me is a first!

My colleagues are incredibly friendly and approachable (no matter of their seniority within the business) and there is a professional but relaxed atmosphere that makes it a joy to work here.

The hardest part of working at CVS is keeping up with the sheer growth of the business, however I would much rather work for a successful Company that is continually growing and being a part of that continued success, rather than one that doesn't and fearing the security of my job!

CVS keep up the good work!
Excellent and Supportive Company
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk16 May 2018
Since I have worked at CVS I have found the company to be a great place to work. The company is supportive and has given me the opportunity to develop in my role and with the company. There is also great company benefits for members of staff.
Great company to work for
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Diss, Norfolk16 May 2018
I have worked for CVS for a number of years now, they encourage a great work life balance for me and extra support for developing my career. Would definitely recommend them to anyone!
Bad higher management
Veterinary Surgeon (Current Employee) –  Cornwall29 April 2018
No care for staff, only interested in money. Would not recommend working for this company, no wonder they are always looking for staff. Looking forward to a nicer job with more support for younger vets.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
I cannot put into words
Sales Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 April 2018
due to certain worries I cannot put into words how awful as a sales person this place was to work when I was employed. I would not recommend sales professionals for a role here
Pros
Cons
lots
Hateful experience - the CEO cares only for the empire he is building
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Diss, Norfolk31 March 2018
It has been several years since I worked there. Examples of how the company doesn't care are numerous. It was so cold in the room some roomsthat we worked in, during winter we wore our coats all day. Gloved hands worked the keyboard. Complaints were laughed at. The social committee were given £500 a year to organise events for the staff. If they wanted better events, the staff had to pay. The staff turnover was huge. The uncaring abuser that is the main man drives his Audi R8 and lords it over everyone. Be very warey of joining this crude example of corporate scum in full effect. They make great money...and keep their staff poor. Nice.
Pros
Almost nothing
Cons
Pay, conditions, etc etc
Badly paid and they don't appreciate loyalty, only money!
Manager (Current Employee) –  South East London, Greater London6 March 2018
Worked here for 3.5 years. The team I work with are great but over all they only care about how much money they make and not about people investment or appreciate loyalty. I would stay away and go to a veterinary company who care about their people.
Pros
Good team on the ground
Cons
Higher management don't care about people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CVS Group. Our community is ready to answer.

CVS Group Reviews by Location