CVS Group
Here to help
Coronavirus update

CVS Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom87 reviews
Following the promotion of an inexperienced manager the general workplace culture became toxic. The new manager threatens disciplinary if asked questions and often can be heard telling people to do as they are told because she is in charge. All autonomy has gone and for those in senior roles it has become a suffocating and frustrating environment.
Pros
staff pet discount
Cons
Poor local management and bullying behaviour not tackled.
DO NOT WORK FOR CVS!
They praise managers who bully the lower staff, force them to do jobs which aren’t a part of their role and when something goes wrong blame the under qualified person they made do it.

Prices are ridiculous, they don’t care about people’s pets they only care for money and that’s it. Avoid detrimentally effected me mental health and I was off from stress at work a lot towards the end. They are absolute poison, don’t do it to yourself!
Cons
Worked here for a few years & watched about 15 staff leave due to bullying that was allowed by upper management. Bullies are praised & treated well whilst their victims are treated appallingly & told there is nothing upper management can do to stop it. Head office don’t care about the massive staff turn over because they money is still flowing. Some staff were left suicidal by bullying & yet management called their near breakdowns “attention seeking”
I did not have an interview, due to being promoted from reception, was at the practice for 22 yers
My practice was like family,

CVS provides supported learning, online and out of practice. They have a great network of practices who all support each other.
Extremely supportive company to work for. Yes general practice is stressful for every job role, but when managed well and with good intentions, each practice can be a joy to work at.
I worked in a traditional mixed practice for 15 years which was then taken over by CVS. They're totally money orientated. Rapid staff turnover, graduate vets making dispensing mistakes. Extortionate mark up on veterinary medications. It's all about money. Avoid.
Cons
Worked for the company for 3 years, I have witnessed bulling from management towards surgeons, from head nurse towards new grads, nurses and other members of the team (luckily was short for me). Management have a can do attitude- which is fabricated, promises made but nothing is ever done. Dont ever expect a pay rise, (although management will have theirs) or a lunch break ever, but do expect to work unpaid over time, you will be contracted 40hours per week but will exceed 50, expect to fight for holiday, to go on cpd. I have witnessed procedures being done just to make money, bills being run up just because the animal is insured. There is an competitive environment between surgeons to make the most profit to fight over the expensive ops ect. This corporate company does not care for its employees at all as long as theres a bum on the seat doing the job they don't care about the quality of the work, or the animals, , stay away from CVS if you are a compassionate vet, the company will ruin you
I was based in a small practice to which I loved the staff and got on amazing with, but management were absolutely awful shown no regards to caring for there employees, after my interview I was told training would be available to progress into veterinary nursing to which I was told later by other staff was a lie. Management was appalling and did little to help me
felt like i was bullied out of my job by management. didn't care for my mental health needs and felt like i wasn't trusted enough by management. would not recommend working there.
I enjoyed working for the company, the work itself and the pay are acceptable, however I decided to hand in my resignation to terminate my employment due to the Management failing numerous times to address an extremely disruptive member of staff, constant argueing and the muttering of obscenities is not something anyone should be forced to endure in a workplace.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CVS Group?
Started working for CVS because I couldn’t see any options for career progression in private practice. Joined in a Clinical Director role, which allowed me to develop my leadership skills before moving to a Regional Director role.
The hospital in Caterham and its supporting branch's are not just a team but a family. Our clients and their pets are at the heart of everything we do alongside our colleagues. Clients, colleagues, care.
Great place to work that is fast paced and supportive. Amazing benefits.

Management are fantastic being progressive, supportive and treat you a person not just an employee. All the team are valued from vets to receptionists and career progression is supported and encouraged.

The first solace work wise I have been truly happy.
A good company to work for who invest in their staff - lots of opportunity for training e.g. nursing, management. Practices run slightly differently in regards to management (different practices will run slightly differently from what I’ve heard).
At the practice I work in, the management are lovely, the team is close knit and lovely this makes the long days so much easier!
Most awful company I have ever worked for!!!

I was bullied to the acknowledgement of my own work colleagues. I suffered a very personal issue in which the manager decided to tell other people. I was bullied and not offered enough support. I can't believe the social climbing manager has gotten away with. I should have sued! bullying work culture, long hours, dirty practice, over priced. Ashamed to have worked for such a company.
CVS are very much employee focused and comply to fair treatment of staff.

I was unable to continue my duties as an RVN in the practice I worked at, but CVS did everything they could to try and find an alternative. I ended up being promoted to Practice Manager in another practice. This would not have happened if my original practice had not been acquired by CVS.
Se trabaja en un ambiente agradable y distendido. El trabajo es ameno y muy interesante. La empresa en internacionalmente reconocida y muy bien valorada. Me encuentro muy bien en mi trabajo pero desearia volver a mi pais.
Pros
Estabilidad total de trabajo.
Cons
El sueldo y la distancia a mi pais de origen.
Having worked for CVS for 7 years (previously been employed by independent) I can see the good and bad points of both. The good definitely outweighs the bad with lots of access to online courses, mindfulness, charity of the year, out of work schemes like shopping vouchers and gym flex. Both areas I have worked in have a good management team and the recent salary restructure shows that the company is moving in the right direction with regards to nurses pay, some of my colleagues in other co-porates are way below on pay.
Yes some of the co-porate things are annoying such as not being able to order from certain companies but overall I would choose CVS over the other companies just because they do listen to the mere mortals in the practices and you see them roiling out the improvements
Pros
Goood support and CPD
Cons
Not being able to order form where ever you like!
As a company they preach it’s all about the staff and team work but reality is it’s about money and at the cost to the clients service and the staff. I suffered mental illness due to bullying and was treated like I was the problem because it’s all about the easy options to them and my experience before that was generally do as your told or go, even if you were just trying to get the best care for your patients and clients - money is all they care about
I very much enjoy working for the labs as top of the agenda is the customer which can be very much lost in many companies now.

Anyone can offer products or a service and yes they have their unique USP's but the main differentiator is the personal side, the service and aftercare. I believe we excel here or at least strive to.

What does this mean to me, in my position. Commitment and confidence!

I do and have recommended friends to work for CVS and have had great feedback. Join us :-)
Cvs have the employees at the centre of their company. There are lots of employee benefits and as a employee you feel valued and listened to. With their support network continually growing there are lots of avenues for career progression, training and job satisfaction! Highly recommend!!
Pros
Lots of employee benefits; annual bonus, Perkbox (an app for cvs employees with lots of discounts and offers) cycle to work policy, buy and sell holiday scheme, and lots more!
Cons
I honestly have none, it’s a great company - the best I have worked for out of the corporate and independent practices
CVS is a large company that gives the impression it doesn't really care about their staff. They offer a good share scheme and we have a fair amount of holiday days. But the pay is poor, the salary people receive after doing training and learning skills is not good enough. Other Practices in this area offer quite a bit more. The management team is not that approachable. Hours that we work aren't bad, but not enough gratitude and rewards for hard work. Not sure I want to work for a big company like this for long term future.
Pros
variety of shifts
Cons
Poor salary