Buzz Bingo

Buzz Bingo Employee Reviews

United Kingdom96 reviews
Bingo is a very uncertain sector to start work in. Clubs closing, falling admissions, covid restrictions, plus the company taking very centralised control mean that this is not the time to start a career with Buzz.
First of all let's be clear. The problems with this company started a decade ago, with the arrival of the then MD. Said MD embarked on a change plan which involved removing any modicum of common sense and experience out of the business, clearly threatened by the capability and knowledge at club level. The more sycophantic of the remainder got promotions, where it seemed that your social media skills and image were much more important than delivering results in the business. It is notable how many of these chancers/characters are now engaged in a certain pub business, and such sycophancy is rife again in that business. It's like they never learned. And never will. I will never forget when I was told by my then regional manager NOT to look at the P&L?! Crazy. Maybe that was to throw you off from looking at the rental charge that was to hit when the freeholds are sold off - more on this later. So when a business is faced with real problems, terminal income and profit decline and dwindling customer numbers, what do you do? You carry on and ramp up the change don't you! Remove any sort of control from clubs and try and brand run the entire business from centre. Just look at this company's social media posting during the recent Covid period and you'll see how inappropriate by marketplace it is - totally missing the point.

I would have thought in the change of business name they would have addressed some of these shortfalls, but no. It's more people who genuinely do not have a clue about the business. BINGO IS LEISURE NOT RETAIL. It's unique, and needs Bingo expertise.
 - more...
Pros
The customers can be great fun
Cons
long unsociable hours, poor rewards, awful management in and out of clubs
Easy to pick up a sense of community great atmosphere very friendly and excepting gives you training in all areas and support for however long as you need it
If your after a job that will get you through Uni this is the kind of job for you as theres not much more to it then that. There are some amazing staff members that make you feel welcome and are great friends but everything else about the job is horrorble. Customers come first but in my time working there ive found customers to be very rude and self asorbed, dealing with drunks can be easier than those stubbon old seinors, you walk into work happy and it takes somebody ten mins to ruin your day. Management are not rude but come across as lazy and have had enough of dealing with endless complains theselfs which you can't hate them for as there only human. The job has diversity in its roles so its great if you dont want to do the same thing every day but if theres a section you dont want to be on as you dont feel comftable well to bad you have to go on it because nobody seems to care about your own opinion. The pay is what you would expect it to be and you get it four weekly. Job training is either hours in front of a pc learning nothing or asking a senior membr for help which they reply to all new starts with "Figure it out yourself and pretend im not here" while you go back inexperienced too get yelled at by a customer for not knowing something becauce your new, after awhile the customer will go up and ask that staff member to help them and then they will...how degrading and what a waste of time.
Only leaving as I’m being made redundant, not every day was the same, we worked as a team, as well as a lone, had our regular customers who sometimes didn’t see anyone else but us.
Made people redundant via a phone call. I think that says it all.

Awful company to work for. Awful to their staff and paid very badly.

I think this says it all.
I worked as a host for a number of years at Buzz Bingo (was previously gala when I first started). You get told its a 16 hour contract but end up working well over full time hours which is nice but you end up with no social life. Required to work on every department with minimal training and are then disciplined for mistakes. Management team only care about profits instead of staff welfare.
Pros
Scraping the barrel but you do form lifelong friendships with other staff
Cons
No training, no consideration when it comes to staff welfare, no social life outside of work
The staff at Buzz are amazing, colleagues in club are nothing short of exceptional and the staff on the ground in head office are also mostly great. The main issues exist at board level where you expect the leadership to start, however its often where it ends. This includes during the recent pandemic where communication with furloughed staff has been non existent in some cases.

The biggest issue at Buzz is nepotism, they look after their own meaning progression for the majority is limited.

The short term plan for the company is to sell up and line the pockets of the exec so they can ride off into the sunset.
Pros
Well paid, good benefits, fairly relaxed, lovely people
Cons
Nepotism, lack of opportunity and a lack of leadership
I loved working at buzz bingo the staff became my family and my work came my second home where you can do nearly every roll in the customer service i have taken away so many different talents and bettered myself by working at buzz bingo i did have to leave due to mental health they did everything they could and was there for me till I left i love my bingo family
Pros
family environment busy and relaxed always something to do multiple skills learned
Cons
Long days some days stressful on feet all time
Stress free and relaxed working conditions, good pay and friendly managers. I had various job roles whilst working there and the transition into each of them was really easy.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Buzz Bingo?
Pros

Buzz Bingo is an excellent place to work, staff are friendly and management. The customers are also friendly and make the time fly by.

Cons

Pay is the minimum wage which should be more and the hours are long.
I never thought bingo was as good as a job as you would think, i love my job . My skills have developed so much from being at buzz bingo and i honestly feel a better person for it. My confidence has grown so much and it is because of the support and encouragement from managers and my team that i have overcome such a journey.
Starting when it was Gala this was a great company to work for! Upon leaving previously and then returning as renamed to Buzz, staff morale has gone down hill. You’re expected to have less than a weeks notice of your shifts, you are automatically put in for overtime without consent, hours can range from 11am till 3am the following day. Constantly on split shifts, expected to put extra work in without recognition.
Wouldnt go back to buzz bingo ever again poor management have there favourites if face dont fit u woe be liked . Dont even get perks for working for the place. AVOID WORKING THERE . Its.also like big brother. Shame treat customers like dirt sometimes also
The job itself was very laid back and the customers were very nice. The main issue with this job is that the managers there have no idea how to speak to staff or how to run a successful team. They speak to staff like there children and there was absolutely no reward for doing a good job.
A good job to build your customer service experience, managing customers and keeping calm. Being very patient and always allowing the customers to be right even if they’re not.
Worked here for 6 months, had plenty of hours to begin with but once my living situation unexpectedly worsened, they completely washed their hands of any support for me. I was also sexually harassed and the company ignored and refused to do anything about it. Management are favouritists and very abusive to staff.
Cons
Paperwork and training were lax at best, shift patterns and rotas were not thoughtful. Or put up with adequate time to plan ones life. Not receiving the 20 minutes, 'allocated' break time. Being pressured into doing multiple roles at once.
Great place to work, hours not the best very unsociable but fits in around my young children.
Great management team and very supportive as a club.

Would recommend
The job itself is relitively easy to pick up. Very often the place is understaffed this can increase the workload of the individual quite significantly. Management range from being pro active to being stuck in the office.
Pros
Flexi working for students
Cons
Unsociable hours
I worked at the Bexleyheath Buzz Bingo for a little over 4 weeks
The colleagues are lovely

The managers are awful, they literally just have you running around on the floor when offered the job you’re told you’ll be learning bar, reception ect you literally just give out change for hours on your feet. New girl always gets told to do the jobs nobody else wants to do at the end of the night, I had a really big issue with managers. One manager when u started didn’t even greet me made me feel very uncomfortable like he had some sort of personal problem with me, the new manager that started after me (the main manager) was the actual reason I left, I had a family loss, was really suffering and still trying to come into work even though the mind wasn’t really there. The way this man spoke to me and tried to patronise me. Made me so angry and upset. As a manager you’re supposed to make sure your staff are well and good mentally instead he made me feel worse. Worst job I’ve ever had. Very unappreciative work place. Wouldn’t recommend
Pros
Colleagues/ food and drink staff discount
Cons
Everything else.