Bury College Employee Reviews

Poor SLT, Very Stressful and Insecure Environment!!
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester1 September 2019
Worked at Bury College for 15 years. In the beginning it was a great place to work, over the years the poor SLT and Management have turned it into a horrible place to work. Constant restructures and redundancies make it a very stressful and insecure environment. SLT give themselves huge pay rises but put very little into the organisation. I will not be sending my son to this College.
Poor employer
Director of Apprenticeships (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester29 July 2019
Tough SMT with no understanding of apprenticeships or how to manage an underperforming area of the college. It is not a great place to work at in 2019.
Very friendly workplace
Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester2 July 2019
It was a great experience for me to work at Bury college as a volunteer teacher assistant. As I worked there, I made a decision to become a teacher assistant and I started my education.
This place is ran like a joke!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester19 June 2019
In terms of working with great staff who genuinely care about students development the place is great!

However there are constant cover ups by senior leadership team which endanger staff and students!

Redundancy’s make staff slaves and scared to say no, staff constantly feel threatened with their jobs and having a close friend recently be made redundant after 15+ years, have her account deleted within hours and told to leave the premises! This place was a great place to work before the corrupt SLT was installed.

Funding for students is being used to fund expensive lifestyles of the leadership team.

If you are a prospective employee please for your own sake look elsewhere, if you are student or parent there are many better colleges who don’t just care for the money your child brings.

What is the point in HR at the college who are basically puppet dolls for management to use as they want, corrupt isn’t the word.
Pros
The staff who are on the ground really care!
Cons
Hr, Poor management, lack of leadership, corrupt policies
Seriously lack respect for staff
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester13 June 2019
Would not recommend this place of work.
Poor management. Dishonest, secretive, poor communication, seriously lack integrity in their practices.
They utilise oppressive methods of assessment and struggle with the concept of constructive feedback.
They cover up mistakes that could be usefully learned from, back up staff who collude with their agenda, reject/criticise others.
They expect you to work twice as many hours as they pay for.
My advice - give them a wide berth!!
Pros
Buildings are ok
Cons
Oppressive culture
Fun and friendly work place
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 May 2019
I really enjoyed being there it was really fun and had a fun atmosphere. All staff and students were really nice and we had a really good bonding. Really enjoyed the fun activities I did with the the service users
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
I didn't get paid for it
Worst place I have worked
Employee (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester18 May 2019
The college is full of great members of staff who are there to truly make a difference to students lives and careers. However they aren't supported by the senior leadership team who blatantly care about cutting costs and the rumour of redundancy is a constant worry, the college used to be a great place to work and was a place that many of my friend and family have worked however due to the corrupt management team who are only their to line their back pockets on 70k+ and drive into work with 50k cars yet can stand on a stage and speak about cuts to college funding and staff redundancy. I would not even get a hello from the management team within the college. The very worst thing about this college was the HR the moment they felt they could have something against you, they ran with it and if there wasn't anything there then there would be the next week! Please have more respect for yourselves then to start a career in this corrupt college.
Pros
Staff, students and location
Cons
Hr, Management, Lack of progression, Redundancy
Hours are a problem
teacher (Current Employee) –  Bury college4 April 2019
Paid hours are 8:45-4:45, but find myself working 12 hour days every day to keep up with the workload. Low staff morale. Always whispers of redundancy.

Is enjoyable and would be ideal for well motivated person without any other commitments.
Pros
rewarding
Thanks
Work Experience Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester8 March 2019
A good place to work enjoyed the experience and gained a lot of experience in education as it moves forward. Great insight into CDF project and T-Level future in FE
Culture has changed drastically over the years
HR Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester3 February 2019
The culture I was born into during my time at the College has changed drastically over the years

I left due to taking redundancy to improve my work life balance and to pursue a different working career
Pros
Locality, Salary
Lecturer in Computing (Former Employee) –  Bury Manchester14 November 2018
Bury college is a good place to work the staff were extremely nice and helpful

orking at Bury was easy but at times the students were a problem that was normally sorted out
community centred
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  various30 August 2018
A multicultural college that caters for a wide range of students in an inclusive environment. It always has something going on including enrichment activities.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
parking
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Market street21 August 2018
Great place to work, work colleagues were very helpful and supportive. Fabulous facilities. Teaching rooms were well equipped. Close to Bury for travel.
fun work place
Student (Former Employee) –  Bury20 February 2018
it was a normal day at work and it was busy and customers was shouting because they had to wait in the queue. so how to deal with the problem I called for another team member to help if they were free. As it helped move the queue a lot faster and many people wasn't waiting.
Good workplace with plenty of opportunities to advance.
Animal Care Lecturer (Supply) (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester2 February 2018
Good workplace with plenty of opportunities to advance. Supportive staff and great resources for students to access. The college has a broad range of provisions.
Jigsaw (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
I had quite a lot of free time as my breaks were usually an hour or an hour and a half plus a lunch break therefore I managed to be productive in those hours and do some of my coursework this allowed me to be organised and more mindful about times and planning when I have to leave for placement
Pros
Was a new experience
Cons
Many breaks
management
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester4 August 2017
they don't particularly care about the staff and their well being. the managers and supervisors are manipulative and lie. they treat members of staff in a poor manner.
Pros
Cons
bad environment
Some parts of the job were not pleasant
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Woodbury Building25 July 2017
My work included cleaning classrooms, toilets, stairs, kitchens and public areas.
I learnt a lot about cleaning products, health and safety and how to manage my time.
The hardest part of the job occurred when the students arrived in the building. They were not careful and not respectful with regard to the college itself or the staff.
I did enjoy working with the other staff.
fun
Student (Former Employee) –  teaching6 March 2017
The college had a nice environment and was a pleasant place to study, all the staff are friendly and helpful. There was a nice atmosphere, and the building was always clean and tidy.
Plastering
Plasterer (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester12 January 2017
I think bury college has help me to understand alot about plastering and what I have got to do if I want to make a career out of it also I have learned that I am a more practical person