Bury College

Bury College Employee Reviews

I love working with children and love to educate them. I learned how to deal with different individual and just had fun with them. I learned how to be flexible in every field.
This is one of the awful places I have ever worked. I would not consider anyone with decency to be employed by this organisation. The staff and support staff are bullies and there is no respect for members of staff. Disgusting treatment of professional staff at this establishment. The management are the biggest bullies around, they have no dignity for staff and have no vision of diversity and culture. If you want to be bullied and treated in a undignified manner by all means apply for a post here. The organisation lacks respect for staff and have no morale. The behaviour towards lecturing staff is antagonistic and disgraceful. Awful support management make serious errors in their judgement and have no validity in their decision making. Staff welfare and well being is at high risk within this organisation. It is the most horrible place to work and place which has many bullies. Professional qualified staff are not valued and there is no support around for anyone working at Bury College. Management have no manners how to respect staff and value them. You will be treated like rubbish if you are employed by this organisation. If you want a peaceful life, security and avoid bullying and criticism I would never recommend Bury College for a place of employment. They made my life miserable and I am glad I am no longer an employee of this body.
Pros
Cons
Oppressive
Great the colleagues are supportive and kind to work with. They assist to learn the job and be So far my experience has been challenging, learning again after years away from education, yet it has been so fulfilling, the photography department is a wonderful hub of activity, students from all The three years cross paths within the week, and are respectful and helpful to each other. We have a fantastic team of tutors who without doubt go above and beyond for all the students. For anybody considering Blackburn college to study the photography course, then I would definitely recommend it. I feel very much a part of my department and I am looking forward to my third year next year.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
competitive job
Low Morale unfortunately as a result of poor management. Constant threat of redundancy and high stress levels due to staff shortages. Some good staff that work there though that really care about the student, sadly money is more important to the leadership team.
I have just resigned from Bury College, after over 19 years of working there. I have received no help whatsoever from HR, who haven't even acknowledged my resignation, let alone enquire as to the reasons why. Generally, the staff try their best at the college, but this is not recognised or rewarded by the management. There used to be a large amount of good will at the college, but that has all gone, along with resources and morale. Problems within the college are not addressed thoroughly and whilst the welfare of students is (quite rightly) a priority, the welfare and support of the staff is sadly lacking.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Don't expect any kind of care or concern
What used to be a fantastic place to work many years ago, is now just a business, and not a place of education. It is understaffed, any most staff have job responsibilities of three people. The perks have all dried up, and the staff morale it at it's all time low. The greed for profit from upper management is evident all over the college. The staff are amazing people and are very good at their jobs, but it is not recognised by upper management
Pros
The staff are amazing people, but it is not recognised by upper management
Cons
Long hours, too many expectations that are outside of the job description, low pay
The staff are friendly and helpful and try to make sure they look after you with a Buddy System. They have trainee teachers and apprentices so they foster an atmosphere which is supportive whilst offering a high level provision and they are excellent at managing poor performance to improve the quality of the service
Worked at Bury College for 15 years. In the beginning it was a great place to work, over the years the poor SLT and Management have turned it into a horrible place to work. Constant restructures and redundancies make it a very stressful and insecure environment. SLT give themselves huge pay rises but put very little into the organisation. I will not be sending my son to this College.
Tough SMT with no understanding of apprenticeships or how to manage an underperforming area of the college. It is not a great place to work at in 2019.
A fine place to work, the hours were poor but the job was fun.
Pros
Good job
Cons
Poor hours
It was a great experience for me to work at Bury college as a volunteer teacher assistant. As I worked there, I made a decision to become a teacher assistant and I started my education.
In terms of working with great staff who genuinely care about students development the place is great! However there are constant cover ups by senior leadership team which endanger staff and students! Redundancy’s make staff slaves and scared to say no, staff constantly feel threatened with their jobs and having a close friend recently be made redundant after 15+ years, have her account deleted within hours and told to leave the premises! This place was a great place to work before the corrupt SLT was installed. Funding for students is being used to fund expensive lifestyles of the leadership team. If you are a prospective employee please for your own sake look elsewhere, if you are student or parent there are many better colleges who don’t just care for the money your child brings. What is the point in HR at the college who are basically puppet dolls for management to use as they want, corrupt isn’t the word.
Pros
The staff who are on the ground really care!
Cons
Hr, Poor management, lack of leadership, corrupt policies
Would not recommend this place of work. Poor management. Dishonest, secretive, poor communication, seriously lack integrity in their practices. They utilise oppressive methods of assessment and struggle with the concept of constructive feedback. They cover up mistakes that could be usefully learned from, back up staff who collude with their agenda, reject/criticise others. They expect you to work twice as many hours as they pay for. My advice - give them a wide berth!!
Pros
Buildings are ok
Cons
Oppressive culture
I really enjoyed being there it was really fun and had a fun atmosphere. All staff and students were really nice and we had a really good bonding. Really enjoyed the fun activities I did with the the service users
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
I didn't get paid for it
The college is full of great members of staff who are there to truly make a difference to students lives and careers. However they aren't supported by the senior leadership team who blatantly care about cutting costs and the rumour of redundancy is a constant worry, the college used to be a great place to work and was a place that many of my friend and family have worked however due to the corrupt management team who are only their to line their back pockets on 70k+ and drive into work with 50k cars yet can stand on a stage and speak about cuts to college funding and staff redundancy. I would not even get a hello from the management team within the college. The very worst thing about this college was the HR the moment they felt they could have something against you, they ran with it and if there wasn't anything there then there would be the next week! Please have more respect for yourselves then to start a career in this corrupt college.
Pros
Staff, students and location
Cons
Hr, Management, Lack of progression, Redundancy
Paid hours are 8:45-4:45, but find myself working 12 hour days every day to keep up with the workload. Low staff morale. Always whispers of redundancy. Is enjoyable and would be ideal for well motivated person without any other commitments.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
A good place to work enjoyed the experience and gained a lot of experience in education as it moves forward. Great insight into CDF project and T-Level future in FE
The culture I was born into during my time at the College has changed drastically over the years I left due to taking redundancy to improve my work life balance and to pursue a different working career
Pros
Locality, Salary
Bury college is a good place to work the staff were extremely nice and helpful orking at Bury was easy but at times the students were a problem that was normally sorted out
A multicultural college that caters for a wide range of students in an inclusive environment. It always has something going on including enrichment activities.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
parking
Great place to work, work colleagues were very helpful and supportive. Fabulous facilities. Teaching rooms were well equipped. Close to Bury for travel.
  1. Employee reviews