Bureau Veritas Employee Reviews

Found 29 reviews matching the search See all 1,356 reviews
Excellent place to work and progress
Senior HR Advisor/ Junior HRBP (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 January 2019
Bureau Veritas is a great place if you want to advance in your career. They offer progression through a talent pool and there are always staff available to coach and mentor. A structured training plan is in place to support internal movement. BV expect perfection and dedication and operate a strict code of ethics which every employee is accountable to.
Pros
Flexiblity to manage your own time and progess
Cons
FTE hours extended
A company to avoid
Engineer Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Wales16 January 2019
As others reviewers have said, BV is a very poor employer.

- Roles are advertised to cover a particular regional area, but this is a lie as I have been sent all over the country and rarely have a week in my own area.

- All the work is 'scheduled' by regional planners, who have no understanding of the job or the area. The work is chosen based on its postcode rather than any common sense.

- The planners don't actually contact the clients to arrange work, this is your role. But you have to do this in your own time.

- Managers are only interested in the figures and timesheets, and are not from a technical background. They therefore give little support to surveyors.

- There is very little progression or development available.

- The new contract means you have to do 2 hours a day of travel in your own time. So it is in reality a 50 hour working week (but only paid for 40)

- The work isn't finished when you get home, as you have to finish reports, plan work, do timesheets, answer emails, all unpaid.

- BV is seriously short of surveyors and most of the work is overdue. This results in unhappy clients, which you take the brunt of as you're the one on site.

Overall, the turnover of engineers is very high, and there is a reason for this.
Pros
Visiting different clients, who are generally good.
Cons
A very negative company to work for who will just grind you down.
Job is misadvertised.
Crane surveyor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim9 December 2018
I will keep this simple;

Pros

Company car ( no choice as stated tho)

occasionally an early finish.

Cons

13 weeks of new starter training jammed into 6 weeks

No HNC for me as promised and written in contract terms.

No clear training plan, I ended up organising a lot of my own training.

Very poor management they only care about figures and inspection times not safety that’s second in line.

Expect to travel 600 to 700 miles a week depending on location.

Constant IT to complete, including time sheet, printing prompts out, organising clients, safety training and surveys, all in Your OWN time no allowance for reporting in the standard times.

50 hour week as you travel for 2 hours in your own time free of charge each day!.

no overtime available for new starters, we get the work you cannot meet inspection times on, well I did and my new colleges did also.

In the 9 months I was employed 5 surveyors left take that as a warning this is not the job Bureau Veritas advertise, they cannot get surveyors to stay and are continually recruiting!.
Pros
Car
Cons
Long hours, clueless managment, unrealistic targets and inspection times, only interested in getting as many certs as possible each day.
Great Teammates-Management-not so much
Temporary Role -Planner (Former Employee) –  UK6 November 2018
Typical day- Work towards unmanageable targets.
I learned that I was just a number and profits were the most important thing over health or ethics.
Management made bad decisions- never listened to what the employees doing the work had to say.
Hardest part of the job- always feeling pressured to do more- not to do what was best.
Best part of the job-The people I worked with. Always willing to help each other even when they were under pressure to get their own work done.
Pros
Pay- Benefits
Cons
Poor management- Long stressful hours-no work life balance
Pays the bills and not much else
Engineering Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 October 2018
Worked here for 2 years as a surveyor being told my work area would be within an hour from home.

From day one I was travelling 2/3 hours each way to get to my first job of the day, management are clueless and just look to pass the buck on any issue.
Planners act like the nice guys but as soon as the phone is down, they are working against you.

The pay for this job is a low to mid-range for a surveyor role but for the work that is expected, this is not reflected in the pay.

8 weeks 'training' at the start (this has been reduced now) was a joke. First 2 weeks were okay but after that I was at home phoning surveyors asking to tag along which led to me not having the required skill codes when I passed the 13 exams required and 2 years later I have had no further training let alone the HNC promised to in the interview. (HNC meant to start after 6 months).

Voiced my concerns on numerous occasions to my area manager but nothing ever came of them, not even a measly email.

Was offered a transfer due to a relocation but am taking a pay cut in a new job to get away and be happy.

This job will grind you down, the company will treat you like a number and not a person. I beg anyone not to join this company if you wish to be happy.
The only reason I stuck at it for 2 years was to gain some further experience befrore my relocation. Any other Tesing, Inspection and Certification company is better to work for.

Please note, the UK chief exec is a nice person, seems down to earth, I think he's just so unaware of what it's like at the other end.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Clueless management, unrealistic targets, false promises, poor training, treated like a number not a person.
Hard Work
Engineer Surveyor - Crane (Former Employee) –  South West England13 March 2018
Forget home/ life balance - hard work expected from day one
Management not supportive.
First 8 weeks is training on just about any piece of lifting equipment, with 13 exams to pass at 100% ~(open book)
Opportunites
Chargé de Mission Développement Durable (Former Employee) –  Londres12 December 2017
Tres bonnes opportunitees de travailler avec de grandes entreprises
Great learning experience
Trainee Technician/Technician (Former Employee) –  Woolston Warrington25 August 2017
I gained a lot of new skills the staff were great, it was like a little family. the work was hard and repetative, but the day went quickly and I had a few laughs along the way with my colleagues.
Pros
Christmas Bonus
Cons
Bad Management
learning skills
Inspection co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City10 July 2017
Very good place to work. very progressive, give time for everyone to learn and understand. People i worked with was very co operative and helpful. i would to love to work again at same place.
Great place to work. UK top employer
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 May 2017
Fantastic place to work in head office.

Only gripe is working hours which are 40 hour week and 8-5pm which is pretty unheard of in most multinational companies.

Whilst we have flexible working hours you dont always get the time back.

A 40 hour week is beginning to be unheard of in London and is especially difficult to manage child care etc

Got a little work to do yet BV!!
Pros
Nice people
Cons
8am to 5pm working culture - 40 hour standard week
Tough and challenging but rewarding
Aerospace Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Home based but work out of London office22 January 2017
Typical day is answering the needs of Global Local offices who are unsure about things. Laying down scheme requirements for all to follow. Performing technical reviews, internal audits, client audits, managing the team etc.
Poor Management
Payroll and Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Coleshill, Warwickshire16 January 2017
Poor management, expected to work additional hours without additional pay. Very much a blame culture. HR department under staffed and non-supportive.
Pros
Nice work environment
Ok - Busy
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, Greater Manchester30 December 2016
Busy Culture and lots going on. You can develop within the company easily if you are willing to relocate. Staff are friendly and happy to help out if it is needed.
Poorly managed firm
Engineer Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Manchester28 May 2016
One of the bad companies to work for the real example is the managers are keep doing the interviews every week at least guys are comming in and out constantly which includes top to bottom,never recommend this firm at all.
Difficult company to work for, however great company benefits make it worthwhile
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG21 January 2016
I worked individually testing electrical equipment daily on British Airways sites. The job was testing as I had a certain amount of tests to complete daily, which some days would not be possible, but the bonus for exceeding these targets were very rewarding.
Pros
Company car, bonus, pension
Good place for learning and personal growth, very good culture in terms of professional relationship
Engineer Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SCT9 November 2015
The senior management is excellent and they recognise talent.

After I completed my MBA, I was put into company's talent management programme and had the opportunity to learn a lot.
Worked very and hard and hence gained a good network in the company. This was besides my normal job description. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

My co-workers were also very nice and helpful.

The hardest part of the job was that the support function including the planner and my direct line manager did not understand much technical aspect of the business. It made things a bit difficult to explain to them.

Most enjoyable part of the job was to visit different clients and perform different activities that kept me highly motivated.
Pros
great people at work.
Friendly workplace
Analytical Assistant Section Head (Current Employee) –  Warrington19 August 2015
Working at Bureau Veritas CPS in Warrington I find that no two days are the same due to the various techniques I am trained and the various responsibilities and duties I perform.
Marine & Offshore Division
Verification Engineer (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth / Aberdeen30 June 2015
The majority of time is spent carrying out audits of maintenance documentation for Safety Critical Elements (SCEs) with respect to measurable data defined within a set of Performance Standards and Verification Activities, (Onshore Reviews).

This is offset by some time examining and auditing the functionality of the same SCEs during irregular trips to offshore oil and gas installations, (Offshore Examinations)

This post has provided me with a overview of both mechanical, electrical and instrumentation systems in use on offshore oil and gas installations and has allowed me to build upon my current skill set and has provided a way into the oil and gas sector.
Pros
Offshore Work
Cons
Onshore Audits, Too much time spent writing reports in the office.
Good prospects
On going- QC inspector (Former Employee) –  Uk, Europe23 April 2015
A good variety of work and locations, new challenges each and new

learning opportunity's. Helpful coordinators who assist with any problem that arise.
Enjoyable job
Fixed Electrical Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire / Nationwide18 December 2014
Enjoy the wide spectrum of sites visited and the client/contractor relationships
Work mates are exceptional and together believe a laugh and giggle helps the ambiance
Hard trying to balance work and leisure time
Pros
Different clients and work environments
Cons
Can be long hours or long drives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bureau Veritas. Our community is ready to answer.

Bureau Veritas Reviews by Location