Bureau Veritas

Bureau Veritas Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
Good
Good but could be better, considering today's world. Company's management need to think more from diversifying business and management need to broaden their interest and skillsets.
Amazing work experience but bad work-life balance
A lot of equipment to work at and a lot to learn. Amazing learning curve. After 1 year you get more expensive than in 4 years in similar industry somewhere else. However average week was to work 50-60h. During a week hours were consolidated so no overtime paid. Weekends overtime were paid 1.5. With family and children not possible to manage. Very stressful.
Awful greed culture
I have never known such a toxic work culture and appaling retention rate - which all becomes clear very quickly. The appointment targets are totally unrealistic ( 8 per week ) so the BDM's have 2 options; 1) get shouted at for having secured 'only' 4 appointments per week or 2) tell a lie and make up appointments but actually just drop a brochure off at reception/pop in and see a established contact for a cuppa/waste time ( say you were in the area )/drop in a sales quote in person ( although it could have been emailed ) basicly any daft excuse to get the management off your back and be a busy fool. It is a shame because BV's service offerings are impressive but there are too many agenda's, clunky systems, unrealistic targets, blame culture and sales people contacting eachothers leads with different service offerings which creates friction and confusion. Solution; Needs new board who are not just worried about their bonus but wants to nurture the BDM's and the Sector Managers. How many good people have to leave before they wake up??
Energetic and vibrant
Relaxed and composed Quality department atmosphere and practice with direct allocation of allotted tasks, combined with review of previous and current work practices of upcoming projects
Mismanaged and poorly run
A disorganised and badly managed organisation that totally lacks any direction or clarity from the top down.
It’s too top heavy with too many managers not able to confidently direct. Too much in fighting and looking after number one.
Training poor
Area/local management poor
In Scotland.no training on it

Equipment due to faulty tablet etc.

Unable to carry out dutys as it

Equipment was faulty.
Solid job with career opportunites
Bureau Veritas offers hard workers the chance to really excel. If you're willing to stay for the long haul you can achieve greta things and experience personal grwoth.
Fun, energetic workplace
Work hard play hard
good environment for individuals interested in working in finance/ accounts

fast paced but enjoyable

training was at a minimum initially but improved further into employment
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bureau Veritas?
Stressful
Bad management at all levels lack of communication from management lack of resources and very low staff moral no incentives no room for promotion at this location
Pros
Cons
Extra work load no bonus
great company
Was based local to where i live so commute in and home was good, found this to be a fun place to work at times but still had a job to be done.
Friendly place to work
Engineer Surveyor
After nearly 30 years in engineering this by far is the worst company i have had the misfortune to be employed by its all about quantity not quality lets begin,
When I arrived in Manchester everything was rushed and thrown at me they were extremely pushy to get me started ( I did think at the time what had I done)

The training is too short with an emphases on getting you out there earning the company money.( one day training on certain items really)

After the in depth training you will be sent outside and within a month they will increase your inspection hours to between 32-35 hours per week, this means that you will have to inspect 32-35 hours worth of assets to meet your targets so factoring in your driving time to and between sites and unless you live right next to a factory or string of garages you will be pushing 50 hours a week ( great for family life).

They will monitor when you report so if you are lucky enough and finish early just be careful

The company car is worse than useless lowest spec and remember you will be spending hours in it

The company phone is as pathetic as the car useless out dated it looks fantastic when you are stood next to clients obtaining their numbers, I did notice at the company induction a lot of the office staff getting nice I phones which was great to see.

The planner will delight in giving you the following weeks work at the latest possible time. On Friday this basically means that you will have to call clients, finish reports, do time sheets, carry out inspections and travel home, this is especially good when the clients have
 - more...
Pros
Manage own work
Cons
See Above
Sound organisation with good benefits
A good organisation for trades-people who'd like to come off the tools. Good job security, pension, health care, company vehicle etc. Prestigious client portfolio.
Pros
Competitive salary, ability to supplement basic earnings with overtime.
Cons
Some working away required.
Fast paced environment
Busy company to work for, with high standards.

Good employee benefits and opportunities for progression in the right roles. Also opportunity for further training and development.
Able to relocate
Bureau Veritas were very supportive when I wanted to relocate. They assisted in finding me a job at another Bureau Veritas branch. The work life balance was excellent. They allowed me to take unpaid extended leave when travelling.
Excellent place to work and progress
Bureau Veritas is a great place if you want to advance in your career. They offer progression through a talent pool and there are always staff available to coach and mentor. A structured training plan is in place to support internal movement. BV expect perfection and dedication and operate a strict code of ethics which every employee is accountable to.
Pros
Flexiblity to manage your own time and progess
Cons
FTE hours extended
A company to avoid
As others reviewers have said, BV is a very poor employer.

- Roles are advertised to cover a particular regional area, but this is a lie as I have been sent all over the country and rarely have a week in my own area.

- All the work is 'scheduled' by regional planners, who have no understanding of the job or the area. The work is chosen based on its postcode rather than any common sense.

- The planners don't actually contact the clients to arrange work, this is your role. But you have to do this in your own time.

- Managers are only interested in the figures and timesheets, and are not from a technical background. They therefore give little support to surveyors.

- There is very little progression or development available.

- The new contract means you have to do 2 hours a day of travel in your own time. So it is in reality a 50 hour working week (but only paid for 40)

- The work isn't finished when you get home, as you have to finish reports, plan work, do timesheets, answer emails, all unpaid.

- BV is seriously short of surveyors and most of the work is overdue. This results in unhappy clients, which you take the brunt of as you're the one on site.

Overall, the turnover of engineers is very high, and there is a reason for this.
Pros
Visiting different clients, who are generally good.
Cons
A very negative company to work for who will just grind you down.
Job is misadvertised.
I will keep this simple;

Pros

Company car ( no choice as stated tho)

occasionally an early finish.

Cons

13 weeks of new starter training jammed into 6 weeks

No HNC for me as promised and written in contract terms.

No clear training plan, I ended up organising a lot of my own training.

Very poor management they only care about figures and inspection times not safety that’s second in line.

Expect to travel 600 to 700 miles a week depending on location.

Constant IT to complete, including time sheet, printing prompts out, organising clients, safety training and surveys, all in Your OWN time no allowance for reporting in the standard times.

50 hour week as you travel for 2 hours in your own time free of charge each day!.

no overtime available for new starters, we get the work you cannot meet inspection times on, well I did and my new colleges did also.

In the 9 months I was employed 5 surveyors left take that as a warning this is not the job Bureau Veritas advertise, they cannot get surveyors to stay and are continually recruiting!.
Pros
Car
Cons
Long hours, clueless managment, unrealistic targets and inspection times, only interested in getting as many certs as possible each day.
Great Teammates-Management-not so much
Typical day- Work towards unmanageable targets.
I learned that I was just a number and profits were the most important thing over health or ethics.

Management made bad decisions- never listened to what the employees doing the work had to say.

Hardest part of the job- always feeling pressured to do more- not to do what was best.

Best part of the job-The people I worked with. Always willing to help each other even when they were under pressure to get their own work done.
Pros
Pay- Benefits
Cons
Poor management- Long stressful hours-no work life balance
Pays the bills and not much else
Worked here for 2 years as a surveyor being told my work area would be within an hour from home.

From day one I was travelling 2/3 hours each way to get to my first job of the day, management are clueless and just look to pass the buck on any issue.

Planners act like the nice guys but as soon as the phone is down, they are working against you.

The pay for this job is a low to mid-range for a surveyor role but for the work that is expected, this is not reflected in the pay.

8 weeks 'training' at the start (this has been reduced now) was a joke. First 2 weeks were okay but after that I was at home phoning surveyors asking to tag along which led to me not having the required skill codes when I passed the 13 exams required and 2 years later I have had no further training let alone the HNC promised to in the interview. (HNC meant to start after 6 months).

Voiced my concerns on numerous occasions to my area manager but nothing ever came of them, not even a measly email.

Was offered a transfer due to a relocation but am taking a pay cut in a new job to get away and be happy.

This job will grind you down, the company will treat you like a number and not a person. I beg anyone not to join this company if you wish to be happy.

The only reason I stuck at it for 2 years was to gain some further experience befrore my relocation. Any other Tesing, Inspection and Certification company is better to work for.

Please note, the UK chief exec is a nice person, seems down to earth, I think he's just so unaware of what it's like at the other end.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Clueless management, unrealistic targets, false promises, poor training, treated like a number not a person.
A good paymaster
The company lacks employee development program, career path isnt clear and is old school company with top down management.

The company pays well but is challenging to run change management programs
Hard Work
Forget home/ life balance - hard work expected from day one
Management not supportive.

First 8 weeks is training on just about any piece of lifting equipment, with 13 exams to pass at 100% ~(open book)