Bupa Employee Reviews

Found 865 reviews matching the search See all 1,134 reviews
everyone should be treated fairly
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry29 June 2016
Lots of good opportunity for staff training, and chance to do your NVQ 2 and 3
Free staff meals if on a long shift - 12 hours and discounted price for other shifts
Village manager will be good for the company, about time they had someone decent. Countless other managers have been useless
Downside is the company is very clicky, you'll do well if your face fits. There's a lot of favoritism in the ranks, and a look the other way attitude. some staff get away with murder, others who work hard do not get rewarded or in anyway praised. Errors are swept under the rug. While trivial things are blown out of proportion.
Pros
good training
Cons
not all staff treated fairly
Horrible
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire14 June 2018
Working at bupa was the worse job I have ever worked for. All memebers of staff are two faced and bullies, you get no help or training what so ever and just made to get on with the job, first day of the job I was meant to have a shadow day where i watch a memeber of staff do my job, but no one turned up so just sat and done nothing for 8 hours, manager was a rude and lazy and doesn't care about her resident's, only good thing i learnt at bupa is to never let anyone i know go to that home!
Cons
Warm, friendly culture, great teamwork from all level of staff..
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Hutton, Essex6 January 2019
I have worked for Bupa for about 18 months, I initially went in to cover a maternity period for one of the homes in Essex . The time at the nursing home has flown very quickly creating very positive outcomes and the recognition for the change in the home the environment is very positive friendly staff teams at all levels have been wonderful to work with . The residents and their families have been absolutely great everyone contributed to support me, which made my role as a deputy manager smooth and pleasant.
I could not have asked for anything more as this wonderful experience would last a life time amongst my career memories.
Going into work daily and looking forwards to meet residents and all staff team created a lovely ambience in the home, calm pleasant friendly, giving confidence to residents and their families.

I have been quiet Fortunate to being awarded to recognition awards for my contribution in the home.
I was very motivated having a lovely manager and regional director also gave boost to my confidence.

I have also had the privilege to be supported regards to my personal learning and development able to complete my level five which will be a bonus for my career progression .
Sadly I am going to miss everyone in the team that I’ve been joyed working with however it has been absolutely wonderful experience to have worked in such a lovely caring environment.

I have created positive morale in the home despite having to walk away it’s nice to know something great has been created through teamwork and that will be left behind new colleagues
  more... have also joined the team I wish the very best anyone joining Bupa it’s a great place to gain further experience skills and knowledge with the right team you will be supported to accomplish your goals whatever they are.  less
Pros
Staff development and training
Cons
When Temporary jobs come to an end no guarantee of a permanent position
Caring workplace
Dementia/nursing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burley Hall - Cottingley Hall - Southlands31 August 2018
A typical carer job, help people where they need it, promote independence, looking out for their well being & their best interests and we do some paperwork.

Any job you have heart in you will learn many skills, such as with this job, my interpersonal skills have improve & so has my understanding of people with dementia & other health and mental problems, other than that it is the typical training you undergo in nursing & dementia care.

I have worked at 3 different Bupa homes, the first home, the management was absolutely abysmal, the second home I went to, the management was brilliant, and the newest home I am at, the management seems pretty good but not been there long enough to gain a true/full opinion yet, my main concern in terms of management is to be listened to and something productive comes out of that conversation.

The workplace culture at all 3 homes were good, staff & everyone very welcoming, made you feel like part of a team and most of them were fit for the job as they deeply cared & wanted to do what was best.

The hardest part of the job is getting close to the residents & families which is inevitable & having to see the decline of the resident, otherwise, I would say finicky changes to paperwork & extra work without much reward.

The most enjoyable part of the job, which is the most important part in my opinion, is spending time with the residents, taking to them, getting to know them so they're comfortable within their own/new home as even the more independent residents feel frustrated & isolated at times so it is nice to make a difference to their
  more... life by sitting & having a chat with them, make it feel like home, even to brighten up their day is an achievement, mental well-being is extremely important.  less
Pros
Job satisfaction, Free lunches, Nice environment
Cons
Not being listened to, Paperwork, Being short staffed
Really great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays6 March 2018
I really enjoy working here, best decision made. My boss is really focused on helping me manage my work life balance and what I want to get out of work and my development. Really love it,
Pros
conservatory, culture, management
Cons
pay could be better
Really great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays6 March 2018
Pros
conservatory, culture, management
Cons
pay could be better
Overview
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey28 October 2017
A typical day at work included assisting 25 residents' per floor with their daily needs. Serving and assisting residents' at meal times, as well as washing and dressing them throughout the day,

I learnt more about mental health issues and disabilities whilst working at Bupa and developed more compassion for others.
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing strong relationships both within your team and with the residents' as well as their families.

In addition, the management were understanding and very friendly as well as flexible. However, the hardest part of the job were the long hours as well as a very professional workplace culture where you can't talk about anything outside of work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good company just not good management
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malvern, Worcestershire29 August 2017
Working for bupa is good, the benefits are good however there is place for improvement within the management side of bupa. People skills are lacking within the management sector. However working among fellow carers is awesome, we stick together and no one is ever picked on for anything, we are family.
Pros
Good teams, relaxed work environment
New manager every month
Care assistant (Current Employee) –  Burley in Wharfedale27 May 2018
Every manager that comes in changes everything. The latest one has stopped the hot meals for some staff even though we have had them for years and they are still advertising them. Ruined staff morale all you get is a piece of toast or a biscuit. They pay basic wage then take away the only perk worth having. Manager has full english in front of staff then goes home early.
Pros
Used to get free lunch
Cons
Free lunch replaced with toast or a biscuit
Avoid at all costs
Health Care Assistant / House Keeper (Former Employee) –  New Milton3 June 2018
I worked in a 70+ bed home and most days there was only 2 housekeepers, and management said we had enough overall hours (including the laundry person) . Management didn’t care about any of their staff . Terrible company to work for, under staffed, under paid,
Pros
Training, free dbs
Cons
Under staffed, low wages, poor management
Interesting - can get very busy
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester29 September 2018
Can have different queries from day to day however need to be quick and do everything right.
Need to be used to working in a fast pace busy environment.
All the security of an international company
Financial Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset30 May 2017
No day is the same.
Regular training mandatory and voluntary offered and delivered.
"Can do culture".
Hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to residents.
Most enjoyable part of the job is problem solving for staff, residents and relatives.
Management want employees who can think for themselves and meet deadlines without losing any quality of work.
Pros
free lunches, uniform, cycle to work usual benefits of an intl co
Productive and rewarding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire3 April 2018
I worked with Bupa back in 2009, looking after the elderly and respecting their wishes. I enjoy working within the care industry and wish to make another career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Staff were all excellant during my training
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow21 May 2018
It was a good place to work but very stressful.i learned a lot about dementia care but unfortunately it wasnt the right job for me.i completed my training but decided against the role fulltime.
Pros
Meeting lovely peole
Cons
good
Catering Manager / Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex7 September 2018
good to work for .excellent company to work forvery good benefitvery well managed and they look after the staff i had good time working for bupa and i would love to work for this company.
good
An all encompassing job role
Customer Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff28 June 2015
Taking enquirers through the customer journey from enquiry through to settling in. Showing the home, explaining the finance, the Local Authority and Health funding and the processes involved. Running reports and providing information to senior management on occupancy and admissions.
Sourcing items needed for care through Epurchasing, supporting staff through their induction and training and acting in an advisory role to all other members of the home.
Responsible for building up the community contacts and developing relationships that raise the profile of the home.
productive place to work
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Pudsey14 August 2018
Learnt a lot and the staff were very helpful, dedicated and hardworking. Would highly recommend Bupa, its a positive working environment to be in, which enables you to learn a lot from.
Pros
staff were lovely
Cons
breaks were not long
Sadly a bad company to work for
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays5 August 2016
The only good thing about bupa is a decent salary for the clerical roles. Management are extremely bad with staff support. No sick pay or understanding of their own staffs situations. Your told different things by different managers and unless your close friends with the staff they can be quite rude. If you have a improvement or idea for the business, make sure you own, because a senior manager will steal it, implement it and you'll never get credit over it and as for any progression opportunities you will never have a chance unless you brown nose every single manager in the place. It's extremely hard to use the staff private health policy because they will try and underwrite you for near enough everything and they have to write to your GP which takes a long time and you can be charged by your GP. Please avoid this company if you can.
Pros
Annual health assesments
Cons
Bad management, no sick pay, hard to use staff benefits, unfair treatment to staff
Fun and social work environment
Healthcare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames21 March 2018
Great place to start of with. But at the end of the day, it is just a job, not a career. Management need to be more understanding and treat their staff like the adults they are, rather than school children.
Pros
Room for moving around internally
Cons
Management style
Reasonble
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lincoln25 August 2018
I enjoyed working for bupa the job was satisfaction I met new people and worked has a team and on my ownthe work colleagues was helpful it was near to home in walking distance
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough pay