Bupa Employee Reviews

Not a good experience
Peripatetic Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 January 2018
I would personally not recommend working for Bupa as my experience was not a good one. I found the company did not put residents needs first or the needs of their staff and did not feel supported in my role.
Cons
Little flexibility around hours, poor management
AVOID if you can
Housekeeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh17 January 2018
terrible working environment. Management are notorious throughout Bupa homes for their bullying and horrible work ethic. they bully staff into leaving and breach their own policy to fire staff.
Pros
Cons
management, bad pay, no care for staff
Great company to work for in challenging times
Call Centre Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester UK16 January 2018
I worked for Bupa UK, during the GFC and it was a good experience. The pay could have been better, but due to the countries financial status, it was good to work for such a stable company.
Pros
on site Gym
Cons
Pay could have been better
work load unrealistic
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Croxteth16 January 2018
as long as you can turn a blind eye then you will fit in, me of course didn't and therefore had to leave as I chose to work to my job description by keeping residents safe
productive and good workplace
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  london14 January 2018
a reliable and enjoyable company to work for, professionalism and humanism in daily care for elderly people.
Management highly aware of all parts of the job, trustful and supporting in all activities.
Pros
free lunches
Review
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devizes12 January 2018
I loved working with elderly and dementia on a nursing unit. Bupa pay isn't the best. You have to work good as a team and unfortunately managing that team is difficult when your not listened to.
unprofessional and unsafe workplace.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 January 2018
In the care home that I worked at I found it really unprofessional in all aspects. Members of staff answering their mobiles to take personal calls whilst looking after patients. There was a general "don't care" kind of attitude.
Being the newest member of staff (and youngest) i got no support from fellow carers, and management staff. I found myself asking questions all the time being new, and was made to feel that I was annoying them by asking. On several ocassions I voiced my concerns to them only to be told in a round a bout way to get on with it.
Too many so called managers appearing and disappearing daily, no routine and the staff used to tip ex out shifts they didnt want on the roster and change it to suit them! i hated it here and couldn't wait to leave. It almost put me off of the care profession.
Pros
the residents
Cons
the staff
Good career prospects
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow10 January 2018
Good career prospects.most training using house and there is usually a few dates to choose when you can attend.the only draw back is there is a lot of paper work for every thing you do.
Pros
Paid breaks
Avoid at all costs !!!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands8 January 2018
Bupa like to give an image of being in the care industry, I would not put my relative in a Bupa care home. All Bupa care about is making money.
What kind of health care company doesn't pay sick pay ???
The worst paying care company out there- do your homework, your worth so much more.
We have a Regional Manager when inspects the home, she has no nursing or care experience, she is business orientated, only cares about filling beds and making money. Looks down on all staff, she is unapproachable, uncaring, cold & dismissive of everyone, insists on staff doing jobs that are not in their job description.
Long hours, unpaid breaks, short staffed.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Everything is bad
Fun work yet tiring
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Havering-atte-Bower, Greater London7 January 2018
From mangement to colleagues great people enjoy bring with them but the only thing is working long hours in a day 12hrs shift Which is tiring at the end of the day. Great company though with free tea, coffee, lunch whatever you like.
Pros
Free lunch, tea, coffee
Cons
Great place to work, fantastic team members.
Housekeeper/Laundry assistant (Current Employee) –  Clevedon30 December 2017
Typical day at work is to go in & freshen up the lounge and dining area, vacuum fyer & lounge area, empty bins, clean toilets & staff areas. A general day of housekeeping is cleaning residents rooms to a hygenic standard, you have to always wear gloves and aprons. Vacuuming and cleaning each rooms before lunch, after lunch to clear dining rooms and reset tables.
The job itself is very easy & the people you work with are very pleasant.
Love the people I work with
Activities Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 December 2017
Bupa is currently selling the care Home that I work for so not fair for me to rate the new company yet Bupa had there good points as paid breaks but also bad points like left to work short a lot of the time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No sick pay
Senior Contract Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester22 December 2017
Once upon a time I worked at bupa. But I left for another job. Now I'm looking for another job but this site is making me write a review. Why oh Why
Very hard work and under staffed
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon15 December 2017
Certain nursing staff being unprofessional
Staff sickness rife. Hence not enough staff on duty to care fro the elderly people's needs
Not enough training given
Pros
Near to where I live
Cons
Not enough staff (one day there were 2 new nursing assistants and one agency nurse, to care for approximatley 40 people)
Means to an end
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Malvern10 December 2017
I'm sure not all BUPA establishments are the same, but the care home environment is never a good one. Unfortunately a common problem in care settings. Too much expected, too little given in return
Pros
Cons
Long hours, pressure to work more shifts
Slave to the job
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands10 December 2017
Staff moral is very low. Care staff are spoken to like rubbish by nurses and managers. Poor food qualty in home. So you still need to take your own. Some staff are paid breaks others are not. Due to starting after April 16. So £90 a month difference to paid break staff. Long 12 hour days none stop on your feet. Residents and families are very greatful of your care and time, which is one good thing. They see how hard you work. Always staff shortages and working short esspecially week ends and nights. Pressure on endless paperwork. Bupa does not live up to all the pomp and expectations it promises. Training is poor. No extra pay for nights and week ends.
Pros
Its a job if you are desperate.
Cons
Long hours. No respect from managers.
Customer & results focused
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 December 2017
A good place to work, which is very much because of the people who work there. Puts the customer at the heart of everything it does but is very slow to react, make decisions and change.
Pros
People
Nice work place meeting new people,
Night Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, & Leeds5 December 2017
To Provide Residents with High Standards of Quality Care.
To start at 20.00 -8am night shift is always different and challenging.look forward for each shift - {visaversa}
Ive learned every aspects of working for Bupa, been in care section 14 years. i never Judge a person or culture or disrespect in any way
The management are helpful and caring to all staff.
Hardest part of Job - every shift is different - looking and taking care of Dementia / Nursing/ Residential residents with all aspects of their needs on daily basis and - Everyone is an Individual person with an History.Background,and to Recognise a Problem and to understand. the person
To Build on a Relationship and Trust with staff and residents and other member of Staff.
Enjoyable moments - Seeing the residents Happy and for Me to have a Smile knowing Ive done my job right ready for the next Shift. and to go home feeling happy after a busy night shift. Im also helpful and Reliable/ Confident to Run a unit on my own and to work as a Team. To /Assist Help with Medication when needed to Assist with. 2 hourly night checks Update care plans etc make sure all residents are safe at all times.
To give residents there Dignity & Privacy. Confidential is Important. Safeguarding & Diversity & Equality is Quality of care..
Pros
Free meals - Free uniforms - Meet New People - Safe Secure Job.- enjoyable memories
Cons
Not enough pay - Long hours.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London3 December 2017
- Very vibrant culture
- A lot of support from management
- Enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with
- Hardest part of the job was managing time
good company
RBM/Regional Business Director (Former Employee) –  Bupa Harlow30 November 2017
good company, won many NHS contracts and delivered them to a high standard, was Antibiotics national lead. was in charge of many nurses and was lead on national nurse program