Bupa Employee Reviews

Long hours for little pay and no t valued
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  St marys Luton17 August 2018
When I first started was good management and staff were hard working but after a few years of being there a new manager started was worse than anything really brought the home down so many good staff left after being there for years says a lot about how it was run very poor not sure why still in position but the company it self was good not aware of how bad the manager was as was well able to hide what was going on but I’m sure they must be wondering why so many staff left in a year they staff that were there were some of best Carers I ever worked with and the administrator was very rude and unhelpful always moaning about having to help if asked and always wanted to know everyone business
Pros
Contract hours
Cons
Bad management
productive place to work
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Pudsey14 August 2018
Learnt a lot and the staff were very helpful, dedicated and hardworking. Would highly recommend Bupa, its a positive working environment to be in, which enables you to learn a lot from.
Pros
staff were lovely
Cons
breaks were not long
Lacked leadership
Product and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 August 2018
BUPA care homes was a large organisation when I worked there and nobody seemed capable of managing the business as a whole, which caused confusion amongst the various departmental functions. It has since sold off a large portfolio of its homes.
One thing that BUPA care homes was passionate about was delivering the best care experience possible, but again this is often not possible with local authorities paying well under the market rate for publicly funded residents.
It's not a place to work if you get easily frustrated or need clear direction.
Pros
Good basic salary at head office
Cons
Low basic salary if you are a care worker.
Dreadful wages
Telephone counsellor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester7 August 2018
Bupa are always recruiting bacp accredited counsellors... And hope to attract them for less than £13 an hour! That's too close to the minimum wage and its just not viable. If you were a trainee with few qualifications and extremely low expectations it might be worth a week working there... If only to show you what you don't ever want to do. I'm sure the staff are very nice and all that but their niceness won't pay yo mortgage.
Pros
Cons
Corporate prison working for a pyramid where you're the monkey and the money goes upwards.
NOT a good company to work for
support worker (Former Employee) –  Bridport, Dorset7 August 2018
Not a good company to work for, they put money above care, promissed NVQ training, was always a reason why training could'nt be started, this perticular Home was run under a dictatorship, all the young staff going sick all the time, and the same staff, staff were picking and choosing who to work with and who not to work with, then failing to turn up for shifts
Pros
free meals
Cons
too many hours
Not enough staff and management who dont care
Care Assistant/Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield Peverel, Essex4 August 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. No support from the team, management don't care about anyone. The number of staff is way too low and if you bring this up they don't listen to you.

Overall I wouldn't suggest anyone to work here.
Pros
Food provided
Cons
Long hours, no staff
Awful
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester1 August 2018
Worst company I have ever worked for. This is a mentally draining roll. I would avoid at all costs most staff are either off sick or hoping to leave asap. Most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Good to work for
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester30 July 2018
Nice place clean good place to work for hours r vert long tho organised nice resepsoin era wen u walk in all ways clean nd smells nice makes u welcome
Pros
Feee luch
Cons
Long houes
Awesome
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon30 July 2018
Ilove working for bupa they are great the induction was a wek long i got to know everything that i had to do whem i start i didnt have to pay for my bds and everybody was very suportive.
Pros
free food
awessome sauce
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 July 2018
nice home and great career prospects with the opportunity to progress if you wish, the management where friendly and very informative and gave me all the relevant information i needed
Pros
excellent carrer prospects
Cons
Good place to work however can be political within management.
Service Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Salford qu20 July 2018
Good company to work for however management from a senior level can be inconsistent. This can cause stress and mixed priorities however the job in itself is paid well and the training is sufficient at entry level.
some shift rivalry
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe18 July 2018
A lot of rivalry between day and night shifts. Teams worked well together. Some members of the management team have very poor management skills. They talked about employees without their consent.
Pros
meal provided
Cons
staffing issues
avoid
Member Services advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey18 July 2018
during my time with Bupa, I was made to feel like a machine and didn't feel there was much of a work-life balance and although I'd met some lovely people the stress of the job was enough to make me want to move on
Pros
people, benefits, free gym
Cons
long hours, high stress
great colleagues
HCA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 July 2018
its ok its a shame they stopped the free lunches on 12 hour shifts.
Managment wasnt greaqt at first but once manager changed it got better
rewarding...
Pros
residents
Cons
long hours, stopped free lunches, pay
Amazing
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Milton11 July 2018
Really great place to work. Great team. great bonuses. Manager really helpful. A great place to work and progress your career. It's one big family. Would seriously recommend to anyone.
Pros
Free lunches and uniform
productive workplace
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex2 July 2018
i really enjoyed my time with bupa. it wasnt always the best but all in all the professionalism helped to get difficult tasks easier. a typical day was always hectic as it was a dementia unit but i welcomed the challenge. the management was good. the culture in the place was not always the best as there was alot of bias at times.
was my second home
Care Assistant/Unit manager (Former Employee) –  Weybridge, Surrey27 June 2018
I am lucky I was part of the team for 7 years. Lovely home , very good, strong team. I learned a lot. I had the best deputy for many years before she moved away then had a super HM for a year.
Stressful job role
Chef manager (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire22 June 2018
Always short staffed
Expected to work more than double the hours contracted per month
Poor rates of pay for the amount of work produced
Other staff going off sick and making it difficult to get cover in the kitchen at short notice.
A great place to work with great ethics
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 June 2018
Bupa is a great company to work for, they have a brilliant culture and vision which is delivered from the top down. They install the right values which creates a positive working environment for all.

Whilst my time at Bupa U not only developed hugely as a leader but made some great friends for life

The hardest part of my time at Bupa was being made redundant. It was very hard for me to move on. I still look back at my time as very positive. I would highly recommend Bupa as an employer of choice
Pros
My personal development and growth
Cons
Leaving
Opportunities for Great Career Progression
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead17 June 2018
The company truly invests in their people.
Every person may have different experiences in their workplace but I could say that the place I work in is composed of great people that strives as a team to deliver the best care possible for our residents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.