Bupa Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

Found 47 reviews matching the search See all 1,106 reviews
some shift rivalry
Health Care Assistant (HCA) (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe18 July 2018
A lot of rivalry between day and night shifts. Teams worked well together. Some members of the management team have very poor management skills. They talked about employees without their consent.
Pros
meal provided
Cons
staffing issues
initially I enjoyed working in this care home.
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 February 2018
My first year in this position was a great experience, after that as I was moved around it became difficult to deal with.
Although I made my views known to management nothing much was changed and I did not get the job satisfaction that I desired. The hardest part of my job was lack of good staff in a highly demanding unit.
An unusual family dynamic in the workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Earls Court20 January 2018
Working at Bupa is good for developing a wider range of knowledge when in the operating room. It is not as fast paced as the NHS so it gives ample opportunity to open yourself to many procedures in a calmer fashion.
My manager is friendly and helpful, always looking for way to improve the culture at work.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being put in a role with higher responsibility as i am young and adaptable and require a challenge to feel fulfilled at work. There is also this sense of going to work to be surrounded by a family that is there though different stages of progression, supporting each other in obscure and heartfelt ways.
The workplace culture has its difficulties as it is a confined space filled will highly skilled professionals in their field. This can build stress at times with conflict in the workplace, but I find my ability to conduct myself in a neutral manner, allows me to diffuse or avoid most workplace politics.
The hardest part of the job is the quiet times, because my role is limited compared to my qualification and knowledge, I find myself under worked to my capabilities.
Pros
meeting interesting and exceptional professionals.
Cons
distance from home
Not a good experience
Peripatetic Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 January 2018
I would personally not recommend working for Bupa as my experience was not a good one. I found the company did not put residents needs first or the needs of their staff and did not feel supported in my role.
Cons
Little flexibility around hours, poor management
Slave to the job
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands10 December 2017
Staff moral is very low. Care staff are spoken to like rubbish by nurses and managers. Poor food qualty in home. So you still need to take your own. Some staff are paid breaks others are not. Due to starting after April 16. So £90 a month difference to paid break staff. Long 12 hour days none stop on your feet. Residents and families are very greatful of your care and time, which is one good thing. They see how hard you work. Always staff shortages and working short esspecially week ends and nights. Pressure on endless paperwork. Bupa does not live up to all the pomp and expectations it promises. Training is poor. No extra pay for nights and week ends.
Pros
Its a job if you are desperate.
Cons
Long hours. No respect from managers.
Staff lovely but company don't appreciate the good staff they have.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton6 November 2017
Don't care about your home life just how many days and long hours they can get you to work then moan when your burnt out and off sick.

Best part is helping residents with there day to today care.

Not being able to have the time to sit and chat to residents.

Always being short staffed
Pros
Free Lunch on long day.
Cons
Not being appreciated for all the the work you do and pressure put on you.
Very disappointed
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barnet, Greater London30 August 2017
Very disappointed in Bupa managers don't last long staff over work and underpay, always short staff and staff are under pressure too much paper work for us
Cons
Long hrs no meals for night staff though it states hot meals for night staff working 12 hrs
profit driven
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge19 August 2017
Company is insanely profit driven. Not enough money invested into the care of the residents as a result you get very upset residents.

Constantly understaffed, you are rushed off your feet for minimum wage and everyone is very stressed and angry because things havent been done (there isn't enough staff!)

Staff turnover is extremely high and management really want you to do extra shifts.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Can go up the ladder quickly, salary, overworked
Healthcare
Healthcare assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellshill, North Lanarkshire3 August 2017
everyday is different, management are understanding and friendly, good care staff friendly everyone's willing to help. Ongoing training. some real characters to work with
Pros
free lunches, uniform, training, great staff
Cons
off duty not far in advance
Work colleges are really good to work with and very supportive
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch, Leicestershire4 July 2017
The care and nursing staff are underpaid and not always supported by management. More interested in the money received than supporting and protecting the staff who are very hard working and support each other but are very underpaid
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours low wages
It was OK working there
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire25 June 2017
It was OK working there but after being there for 14yrs it was a time for a change and it was my only job after having my children, I have 3 children and 3 grandchildren
Worst company
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amberely court15 June 2017
Terrible company, Bupa on boarding team are rude and no help what so ever in regards to references, if they can't get a reference they will assume you haven't worked there, even if you have not worked in the last year they will not accept you which I think is disgusting even if you have couple of years experience within the care industry.

And pay is terrible
Meh
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ilford9 June 2017
Not good staff unfairly treated staff and pay is bad for the stress.
Bad management and bad care is provided at times and work hours is not balanced with social life.
Pros
Free lunches only
Cons
Bad staff
work is hard
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, UK19 May 2017
i have found that Bupa doesn't really care about their employees. more and more workload was being given to the carers but no support was ever being offered.
Cons
long hours, low salary
very hands on
Health care assistant (Former Employee) –  luton1 March 2017
working with the residents was nice as we would sit with them during lunch and talk about the good old times they had. however the hands on work was very hard as sometimes the residents could become challenging and taking care of 6 residents all day which includes bathing them, feeding them breakfast, changing there pads regular aswell as maintain the cleanliness of the unit
Pros
free lunch
Cons
low pay
Good work ambience
Activities Coordinator and Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portishead, Somerset14 February 2017
Start very early, 6:45 am to give personal care (hardest part of the day/job) till 1pm.
At 1pm start the activities (the most enjoyable part of the day) till 6 pm.
Pros
Free lunch
productive
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cobham19 November 2016
good co-workers
nice expirence
learn to work as a team
unfair management
no night staff food provided for 12h shift
no proper night bites for residents just biscuits
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no night staff food for 12h shift
Productive & fun place to work
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wembley16 November 2016
Great place to work at. Provides very professional training with very polite staff. Great career progress with constant training options.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Very good place for work
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfleet6 November 2016
I was very happy to work there, but sometimes was really hard and dificult. Because othe coleagues was always tired and unhappy to do all the job. But if I got one more oppotunity to come back to Bupa I would do that with a pleasure.
Time for change
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hatfield28 October 2016
I feel like is time for change! The Job is ok but the management sometime can be a bit Fussy and Rude!!!

The Home manager is a brilliant Home Manager but the Unit Managers have a lot to learn as a managing people!!! Always pushy & pushy and very pushy!! Sometime a bit rude a swell!!!!

The job it self can be a bit demanding and a bit heavy a swell and with a demoralising management attitudes I feel am not going anywhere!!

I have been working there for 3 years now but I thing is time for change!!
Pros
Brilliand Home Manager
Cons
Long Demoralising Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.