Bupa Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Found 40 reviews matching the search See all 1,110 reviews
Member Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford21 October 2018
Working at bupa for a few months now the training is intense but rewarding you have a lot of opportunity at Bupa to move around departments it’s a amazing building and staff are all friendly it’s a very busy environment it’s a challenging job at times but I am enjoying my time here I can’t understand the negative reviews as it’s to has a lot to offer free gym onsite parking and restaurant hours are good what’s to moan about really
Pros
Great building all brand new facilities
Cons
None really I can think of
Adored working here... but wasn't good enough
(Temporary) Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays11 September 2018
I absolutely loved working here. I loved the training (I had a great trainer) and I loved getting into the actual role. However, I had not actually passed through the training. It's predicted 5 weeks of calls while being coached before going fully into department (i.e. you're out of training). However, I was ill in the middle of that, and then going back, it was taking me much longer to get through. (You have to pass a certain percentage of audited calls.) I was a bit worried about this while I was still in the probation period, but was assured that every case is assessed individually. As I was enthusiastic about the job, and was good at it with the exception of a few mistakes (which led to failed calls), I wasn't too concerned.

However, one day, unexpectedly, I was given "an unscheduled probation review". I'm not sure if I was expected to defend myself, but as it was out of the blue, I was upset and unable to fight my case, and not half an hour later they told me that my time with Bupa was to be terminated.

As I said, I loved working there. This was because of the positive work environment, particularly the people. Everyone there who I came across was friendly. Maybe one person didn't smile back at me if I smiled at them, honestly. I can't rate the staff highly enough as a whole.

I also liked the strictness of their work policies. However, I think this is where they could also change a bit. I think by all means having rules and making sure they are stuck to is a good thing. From time to time, though, these rules ought to be reassessed an adjusted. For
  more... example, the phone times are monitored, so it is clear when you are on calls and when you are doing other work. You are expected to take all your drink and toilet breaks in the 20 minutes of "freedom breaks" throughout the day, which just isn't enough when you're constantly on calls in all the other time. I also think that this strictness meant they were not as flexible when it came to my learning curve. I could have done really well for Bupa as a company, had they given me the chance to progress at a slightly slower rate than expected.  less
Pros
Employee Assistance Program, staff
Cons
Strict
Average
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays7 September 2018
Good company to work for if you have the right manager. Once you've passed your probation get to a team where you can develop your skills if your in customers services your more or less like a receptionist and doing jobs other teams can not be bothered to do
Pros
Good pay for what you do
Cons
Some Managers giving advice on a job they couldn't do
Member services
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 August 2018
Absolutely shocking place to work. Staff are treated like children and managers haven't go a clue about the job and no respect for their staff. Staff are not allowed to make their own decisions and need to go to managers to get answers on what should be common sense queries, half the time they pretend to be on the phone or fob you off. The quality team in this place are atrocious, they are in the job a couple of months and think they know it all. They justify keeping themselves in jobs by moving goalposts to catch the staff out and don't give adequate training, then failing the staff on quality, these people wouldn't last a week in the job. The member services area is in a mess as the staff get told one thing and then another. Whatever you DO NOT WORK IN MEMBER SERVICES. AVOID
Pros
I get to go home
Cons
Lots
Awful
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester1 August 2018
Worst company I have ever worked for. This is a mentally draining roll. I would avoid at all costs most staff are either off sick or hoping to leave asap. Most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
avoid
Member Services advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey18 July 2018
during my time with Bupa, I was made to feel like a machine and didn't feel there was much of a work-life balance and although I'd met some lovely people the stress of the job was enough to make me want to move on
Pros
people, benefits, free gym
Cons
long hours, high stress
Good if better management
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester1 May 2018
When you first start the training program is excellent and once you settle into your department it is well looked after. However the organization of department to department, manager to manager is absolutely poor. You would think a mental breakdown would be enough for another manager to inform your own manager to make them aware would be a simple task but this isn't the case at Bupa. Everyone but the employees are cared for, the managers are never around but they always ask you to inform them of things. The mental health policies have upgraded but there is little to none support on our own mental health. Target driven roles with impossible to achieve targets but at least they put in extra training for you, it doesn't always go ahead though..
Pros
Nice people, good salary, good hours
Cons
Terrible management and communication
Felt like I was being brain-washed
Member Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays19 November 2017
I lasted all of three months. Maybe I wasn't cut-out for the culture I found myself in and was too customer-orientated. Despite constantly receiving good reviews during training and scoring high, there was always a reason given to prevent me from moving forward out of the training academy. Was this because I am an older person and didn`t fit in with the young, vibrant workforce? I`ll never know. Everything is time-orientated to the minute - toilet breaks, lunch, blowing your nose etc. I was told off for being on the phone too long with a client who had discovered she had cancer. I went for a break and was stopped by a manager who wanted to discuss something (work issue); I didn`t manage to get my break and returned to my desk 2mins late and was told to take only 8mins for my next break instead of 10 to make it up! I felt like a hamster in a cage on a spinning wheel and unable to jump off...
Pros
Great subs. staff restaurant. Free parking. Beautiful location.
Cons
The culture and regime.
Excellent place to work
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey8 November 2017
Professional and fun environment to work with. Aids development as much as possible. Lots of great benefits. Depending on the department you work for, if it’s the contact centre there are many who wish to develop with few places to fill but generally still a great scope to develop.
just ok
Customer Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex17 September 2017
loved working at Bupa global, but more can be improved. The work load and consistency is not always there are there's disparity of the information in between teams.
Very Poor Management and work environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester3 March 2017
As a healthcare company you would expect good treatment to staff, but sadly this was not my experience.
Very unhelpful and unsupportive managers and some co workers.
Managers will pick on certain staff if they don't like you.
Unhealthy building as small and congested desks.
There calm room was the complete opposite to calm. Was very a stressful place to work in. I lasted a year and left after being bullied by a manager that was not my manager to begin with. Who confronted me in front of other staff whilst at my desk on a call.
Anyway Hr had to deal with her, but a nasty experience,
Pros
Cons
bad staff
Member Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester28 January 2017
The company has very supportive staff who are constant examples of the Bupa values. The employees really care about how the customers are treated and it reflects in their attitude when dealing with the Bupa members
Pros
Bupa Health Care
Generally good staff
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester12 January 2017
Good money for what the job entails and good people working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking and interacting with different people daily.
Pros
Health insurance, Health Screening, free gym
Cons
Changing shift patterns
Bupa global
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex9 December 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for, the management and coaches are vile dictators who enjoy seeing you fail at any opportunity.
Disgusting place to work I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy! do not be persuaded by the salary it is not worth it!!
Pros
Free food once a month
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester25 October 2016
great place to work, friendly atmosphere and great team building. everybody is great to work with. all jobs are stressful, but there is always help. easy to get to.
Pros
free gym
Cons
petty and small minded managment, otherwise great job
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-Upon-Thames[4]5 September 2016
co workers great job itself was great but higher management kept changing the goal posts which made advancement difficult unless your face fitted
Pros
gym
Cons
hours and petty rules
Sadly a bad company to work for
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays5 August 2016
The only good thing about bupa is a decent salary for the clerical roles. Management are extremely bad with staff support. No sick pay or understanding of their own staffs situations. Your told different things by different managers and unless your close friends with the staff they can be quite rude. If you have a improvement or idea for the business, make sure you own, because a senior manager will steal it, implement it and you'll never get credit over it and as for any progression opportunities you will never have a chance unless you brown nose every single manager in the place. It's extremely hard to use the staff private health policy because they will try and underwrite you for near enough everything and they have to write to your GP which takes a long time and you can be charged by your GP. Please avoid this company if you can.
Pros
Annual health assesments
Cons
Bad management, no sick pay, hard to use staff benefits, unfair treatment to staff
Vulgar revolving door employment.
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 July 2016
A hugely protracted and convoluted product and company that no longer resembles nor serves it's original purpose.

Member services Advisors trained to 'push back' with an introduction to the company consisting of a warning of speaking badly upon expulsion.

Vulgar revolving door employment policy unable to sustain or stem the mass exodus of both, employees and members alike.

Destined to radically fail or be overtaken by competition.
Cons
Top down intimidation and the complete absence of autonomy
Worst Employer You Could Ever Imagine
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays30 June 2016
Fancy being treated like a child, sitting on your backside all day and earn very little in reward? This is the job for you.... I personally wouldnt touch them with someone else's barge pole....
Pros
Being able to go home
Cons
Having to go to work for Bupa
Too Much Stress
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Salford8 June 2016
Your job plan changes every month, the training is obsolete, you have to speak to everyone in exactly the same way, regardless of the individual's call or you get reprimanded, threatened with disciplinary meetings, loss of any bonus and even job.
This is due to being audited on 2 out of 1000 calls per month.
you are allowed 20 minutes in total a day to remove yourself from your desk including loo visits. any time lost in the day has to be made up that day. even down to 1 minute late.
with no allocated desk to work from, to open up, on average 10 programs each morning, on a previously unused computer, takes about 20 minutes to load, to be ready to take that call so actually, you work 20 minutes without pay. each morning.

management do not seem to take employees into consideration, in relation to their own health. especially mental & stress. but quick to keep calling, and intruding your personal space i.e: home,to get you in work, And expect you to be an expert in a job that you have not been trained on.

The guys you work with on the same level are very friendly. There is a Gym and catering facilities,which incidentally does not open in evenings for late shift workers or weekends.
People are frightened to stand up to managers and tell them what they really think, and somehow surveys done by employees who say they have put negative scores, uncannily always say we are all happy with our job.
Pros
Good Friends
Cons
too much pressure to meet the target scores

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.