Bupa Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Felt like I was being brain-washed
Member Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays19 November 2017
I lasted all of three months. Maybe I wasn't cut-out for the culture I found myself in and was too customer-orientated. Despite constantly receiving good reviews during training and scoring high, there was always a reason given to prevent me from moving forward out of the training academy. Was this because I am an older person and didn`t fit in with the young, vibrant workforce? I`ll never know. Everything is time-orientated to the minute - toilet breaks, lunch, blowing your nose etc. I was told off for being on the phone too long with a client who had discovered she had cancer. I went for a break and was stopped by a manager who wanted to discuss something (work issue); I didn`t manage to get my break and returned to my desk 2mins late and was told to take only 8mins for my next break instead of 10 to make it up! I felt like a hamster in a cage on a spinning wheel and unable to jump off...
Pros
Great subs. staff restaurant. Free parking. Beautiful location.
Cons
The culture and regime.
Excellent place to work
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey8 November 2017
Professional and fun environment to work with. Aids development as much as possible. Lots of great benefits. Depending on the department you work for, if it’s the contact centre there are many who wish to develop with few places to fill but generally still a great scope to develop.
Very Poor Management and work environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester3 March 2017
As a healthcare company you would expect good treatment to staff, but sadly this was not my experience.
Very unhelpful and unsupportive managers and some co workers.
Managers will pick on certain staff if they don't like you.
Unhealthy building as small and congested desks.
There calm room was the complete opposite to calm. Was very a stressful place to work in. I lasted a year and left after being bullied by a manager that was not my manager to begin with. Who confronted me in front of other staff whilst at my desk on a call.
Anyway Hr had to deal with her, but a nasty experience,
Pros
Cons
bad staff
Member Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester28 January 2017
The company has very supportive staff who are constant examples of the Bupa values. The employees really care about how the customers are treated and it reflects in their attitude when dealing with the Bupa members
Pros
Bupa Health Care
Generally good staff
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester12 January 2017
Good money for what the job entails and good people working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking and interacting with different people daily.
Pros
Health insurance, Health Screening, free gym
Cons
Changing shift patterns
Bupa global
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex9 December 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for, the management and coaches are vile dictators who enjoy seeing you fail at any opportunity.
Disgusting place to work I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy! do not be persuaded by the salary it is not worth it!!
Pros
Free food once a month
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester25 October 2016
great place to work, friendly atmosphere and great team building. everybody is great to work with. all jobs are stressful, but there is always help. easy to get to.
Pros
free gym
Cons
petty and small minded managment, otherwise great job
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-Upon-Thames[4]5 September 2016
co workers great job itself was great but higher management kept changing the goal posts which made advancement difficult unless your face fitted
Pros
gym
Cons
hours and petty rules
Sadly a bad company to work for
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays5 August 2016
The only good thing about bupa is a decent salary for the clerical roles. Management are extremely bad with staff support. No sick pay or understanding of their own staffs situations. Your told different things by different managers and unless your close friends with the staff they can be quite rude. If you have a improvement or idea for the business, make sure you own, because a senior manager will steal it, implement it and you'll never get credit over it and as for any progression opportunities you will never have a chance unless you brown nose every single manager in the place. It's extremely hard to use the staff private health policy because they will try and underwrite you for near enough everything and they have to write to your GP which takes a long time and you can be charged by your GP. Please avoid this company if you can.
Pros
Annual health assesments
Cons
Bad management, no sick pay, hard to use staff benefits, unfair treatment to staff
Vulgar revolving door employment.
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 July 2016
A hugely protracted and convoluted product and company that no longer resembles nor serves it's original purpose.

Member services Advisors trained to 'push back' with an introduction to the company consisting of a warning of speaking badly upon expulsion.

Vulgar revolving door employment policy unable to sustain or stem the mass exodus of both, employees and members alike.

Destined to radically fail or be overtaken by competition.
Cons
Top down intimidation and the complete absence of autonomy
Worst Employer You Could Ever Imagine
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays30 June 2016
Fancy being treated like a child, sitting on your backside all day and earn very little in reward? This is the job for you.... I personally wouldnt touch them with someone else's barge pole....
Pros
Being able to go home
Cons
Having to go to work for Bupa
Too Much Stress
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Salford8 June 2016
Your job plan changes every month, the training is obsolete, you have to speak to everyone in exactly the same way, regardless of the individual's call or you get reprimanded, threatened with disciplinary meetings, loss of any bonus and even job.
This is due to being audited on 2 out of 1000 calls per month.
you are allowed 20 minutes in total a day to remove yourself from your desk including loo visits. any time lost in the day has to be made up that day. even down to 1 minute late.
with no allocated desk to work from, to open up, on average 10 programs each morning, on a previously unused computer, takes about 20 minutes to load, to be ready to take that call so actually, you work 20 minutes without pay. each morning.

management do not seem to take employees into consideration, in relation to their own health. especially mental & stress. but quick to keep calling, and intruding your personal space i.e: home,to get you in work, And expect you to be an expert in a job that you have not been trained on.

The guys you work with on the same level are very friendly. There is a Gym and catering facilities,which incidentally does not open in evenings for late shift workers or weekends.
People are frightened to stand up to managers and tell them what they really think, and somehow surveys done by employees who say they have put negative scores, uncannily always say we are all happy with our job.
Pros
Good Friends
Cons
too much pressure to meet the target scores
Busy and structured
Customer Complaints / Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines19 May 2016
Structured workday as per large and very busy call centre. Daily targets for every part of the work day from breaks to calls taken.
Exciting and varied workplace with excellent training
Member Services Adviser (Former Employee) –  Staines9 February 2016
Firstly, I found the 2 month intensive training programme to be very efficient, friendly and it put me (and my fellow colleagues) at great ease in such an overwhelming environment. We were coached and regularly assessed to identify how we could become better at our jobs. Working at Bupa was never dull, I never knew who I would be speaking to next or how I would be able to help them. After a month or two within the role I felt knowledgeable enough to use my own initiative in very difficult situations. It gave me great pride to hear how happy and relieved I was able to make people by doing my job.
I found the management as a whole to be quite distant from the Customer Service front lines, however my manager took the time to see how I was feeling and if there was anything we could do together to help me, in that context they were very supportive. However, it was not unheard of to have team meetings cancelled regularly, which didn't help the morale of the team as the communication between managers and them needed vast improvement. Most of my co-workers were amazingly helpful and supportive, though, which is necessary in an environment where you rely so heavily on each other. For me, the hardest part of the job was wanting to help someone but not being able to because I couldn't take more than an hour or two off the phone per week to look into queries and issues I had taken ownership of, but it was all worth it when I did manage to finish helping someone, it was very rewarding.
Pros
supportive environment, great benefits (health insurance etc).
Cons
very long periods of time on the phone with no rest-bite.
Not a good working environment.
Customer Service Executive (Former Employee) –  Harlow, ENG27 January 2016
A good company but not the best working environment. was only there as a temp but did not want to work there full time. But the staff were friendly.
Bupa stained customer services department
Customer services (Former Employee) –  Staines-Upon-Thames[4]8 November 2015
Worked at bupa staines in claims and customer services. Useless company and it changed my life not for the best in relation to career and many years to come. If I had never joined bupa my life would not be in the s..t its in now. I blame my stay at bupa one of the worst decisions i ever did and so regret staying there.

I read a lot of the negative comments about bupa and totally agree with all of them. Nasty place nasty people . avoid them like the plague.
Great company
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  manchester21 October 2015
Excellent company to work for. Fantastic training and opportunities. Great people and highly effective management teams.
Dealing with all types of customers daily
Bespoke Customer Service administrator (Current Employee) –  Coventry, ENG8 September 2015
At my level l work 3 weekly rotating shifts. l take calls and complete email queries daily to set targets. The staff are all really nice and fun to work with. The hardest part of the role is working with systems that don't really do the job. You some times need to have five different systems open. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping members utilize the schemes and benefit from their membership.
Pros
easy access from the city centre
Cons
Shift working
An interesting place to work
Dawn Shift Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brighton10 July 2015
I am working on the dawn shift from 22.00-08.00 taking calls from members mainly regarding pre-authorisation of treatment and claims queries.
We also reply to member queries via email.
Pros
Monthly food allowance, great salary
Cons
10 hour shifts and night work
An all encompassing job role
Customer Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff28 June 2015
Taking enquirers through the customer journey from enquiry through to settling in. Showing the home, explaining the finance, the Local Authority and Health funding and the processes involved. Running reports and providing information to senior management on occupancy and admissions.
Sourcing items needed for care through Epurchasing, supporting staff through their induction and training and acting in an advisory role to all other members of the home.
Responsible for building up the community contacts and developing relationships that raise the profile of the home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.