Bupa Employee Reviews

Found 863 reviews matching the search See all 1,131 reviews
Not Very Good
Care Assistant/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire4 November 2018
When i first started i thought it was an amazing place. The training was good and you have access to an online portal to do more courses.
The downside is the place is always under staffed, for the work you have to do the pay is really low also. You are rushing round all the time which means you can't spend any quality time with the residents. People come in for respite care but the staff on shift doesn't go up to cater for the increase as they are reluctant to get agency staff in. The care staff are always stressed but were fantastic to work with, it's those and the residents that i miss
Pros
the staff and the residents
Cons
management, low pay, little to no break time
Unprofessional
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 January 2019
First day and last day of my experience at Bupa, and never felt so down and undermined. When it come to first day of a new job, it should always be warm welcome, but there was no hello, my name is; it was "hurry get to the kitchen". With the person who was showing me the ropes, supposedly making me welcome,did the opposite. Made me feel small, unwelcome, criticising me what ever I did, when she herself made many mistake. This is the first time, on my first day starting a new job I felt like this. Never met rude, ignorant, uneducated person. But suppose they are everywhere.

Additionally, the induction wasn't so pleasant welcome. Induction about getting to know each other and understanding the business, but it felt like everything i say was wrong and in fact It was correct.
Pros
Terrible
Cons
Terrible
Great team just not great management
RECEPTIONIST/ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2018
I enjoyed my time at Bupa and working with a great bunch of people but I don't think management was really interested in the staffs concerns. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a lot on your own and not having any management around to help/ back you.
They also didn't help advance the right people.
I would recommend this work place but only if you are happy to not go anywhere!
Pros
good holiday allowance
Cons
no advancement
Member Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford21 October 2018
Working at bupa for a few months now the training is intense but rewarding you have a lot of opportunity at Bupa to move around departments it’s a amazing building and staff are all friendly it’s a very busy environment it’s a challenging job at times but I am enjoying my time here I can’t understand the negative reviews as it’s to has a lot to offer free gym onsite parking and restaurant hours are good what’s to moan about really
Pros
Great building all brand new facilities
Cons
None really I can think of
High turn over of staff for a reason
MSA (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester23 October 2018
I joined Bupa full of enthusiasm. 3 months in and I found myself regretting my decision to leave my previous job. Literally no time to breathe. Constant changing of the goal post for your targets, of which all are u realistic. If you receive a complaint you have 10 mins to investigate. 20 min freedom breaks per day. This includes your comfort breaks. Lovely staff, nice building but as the saying goes... you can't polish a t###.
Pros
Home Time
Cons
Bupa
Fun work place & Training available
Admin Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bupa London20 November 2018
Fun place to work.

long hours are tiring but if you like to work with old people and you think its rewarding then the job is for you.

Training is provided through out.

Management is not keen on providing full materials like bed sheets, towels, gloves, etc etc etc.
Staff is extremely friendly.......
Pros
Progressive Training available
Cons
Low pay rates
opinion
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire24 September 2018
You never got a thankyou from the manager for doing a good job, manager shouts at a staff in the middle of the home instead of taking them to the office and explaining what the employee might of done, the housekeeping staff had to clear up poo when they weren't suppose to. The staff always spoke in there own language when in staff room when the rule was that they were suppose to speak English when on site of the care home. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home. We were only aloud a 15 minute break at lunchtimes. Never see any top management at the Bupa care home.
The receptionist and administrator was fine.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, 15 minute lunch break, management.
fun workplace
customer Retention Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey25 September 2018
I found my time at Bupa to be both rewarding and Educational, I owe much of my experience to the opportunities provided to me from employment with them.

Working within the call centre environment much of the day might seem repetitive but every conversation was unique to the customer.

I found the hardest part of the job was not being able to help customers due to certain company processes or policies, however, I and the customer understood the reasons these were in place.

The call centre environment was a rewarding and fun place to work with high moral and great team efforts making each day enjoyable and different. There was a healthy level of competition among the department and team.

I did find the progression ladder to be rather difficult to climb.
Old glory dying in the worst way
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne11 September 2018
Whether Bupa was good at some point ages ago or not, is an opinion. Now a days Bupa is one of the worst Healthcare services for elderly people in the UK.

They just gave up time ago and all they are expecting is eventually shut down or sell the care homes to other companies like HC One (which is giving worst service even).

Since time ago they has stopped any important investment in the Healthcare field, keeping minimum wage for their HCA staff, they don't care about residents, just profits.

Are just places where you wouldn't like to take to a member of your family at all.
Pros
Cons
So many
Don’t apply
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester31 October 2018
Awful place to work, no job security, take commission off you all the time not worth the stress or the amount of hours you do. Promised 1 late a week but 4/5 of them are lates! Not a sales job, not allowed to sell or advise wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy. Loosing staff quicker then they can get them in.
Pros
Cons
No flexibility, hardly ever get commission
The worst company I've worked ever
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2018
Blame culture, management do not care about the staff, thinking about stetic rather than practise way.
When you ask them to support you they give you their back, when you need your manager to help you. He blames you straight away instead defend you. You chase them to pay you right
Worst job ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire8 September 2018
This was my worst job ever. Always short staffed because they pay minimum wage. Heavily reliant on agency staff who would have maximum cigarette breaks. If you speak to management they hear you out but nothing ever gets done. Bupa is the lowest pay care home in our area. The public areas are decorated beautifully but the resident’s room not very good. Bupa expect maximum commitment on very low pay. Maybe if you have a good Manager then things would be different!
Pros
Meeting and chatting to residents and their family
Cons
Long shift patterns and low pay
Fantastic Company
PEOPLE DELIVERY PARTNER (Current Employee) –  Field Based24 December 2018
Bupa is a great company to work for, it is very professional and supportive, Bupa’s values are at the core of the business.

The colleagues I work with at Bupa are very inclusive and supportive and collaboratively we are all working towards shared goals!
Pros
Benefits, work life balance, team work
Great place to work!
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester20 August 2018
My experience of working for Bupa EAP has been very positive. I have always been supported by my managers and clinical leads. Throughout my time at Bupa I have learnt and developed both professionally and personally with the help and support from management. I think Bupa EAP is a great place to work as the team spirit is great and everyone looks out for each other, but most importantly Bupa EAP care about their staff and customers and they place Mental Health in the heart of their organisation with a caring attitude.
Pros
Health Insurance, Brand New Building, Great Restaurant and Cafe, Good Values and Ethos
Productive and always challenging
MEDICAL RISK ASSESSOR / UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey20 August 2018
My day consisted of being on the telephone taking calls from the sales team with new members, customer services with existing customers, GP's and Consultants, other departments and all dealing with medical queries. I learnt a lot about medical conditions and how they affect the body.
The workplace culture was that of team work, everyone always helping their colleagues.
The hardest part of the job was declining medical cover to someone who so needed that help and the most enjoyable part of my job was always helping others.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Declinging cover for medical conditions
bad workplace
Renewals Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey27 August 2018
worked at bupa for 6 weeks, I did the training in the classroom managed to pass 3 out of 4 competency tests and the 2 sign offs i failed the last test a few times, my probation was terminated and i was escorted out of the building. this has not put me in a financial crisis as i relocated to this area. i am not happy how i got treated towards the end
Pros
cheap breakfast
Cons
treated unfairly, bad workplace
Long hours for little pay and no t valued
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  St marys Luton17 August 2018
When I first started was good management and staff were hard working but after a few years of being there a new manager started was worse than anything really brought the home down so many good staff left after being there for years says a lot about how it was run very poor not sure why still in position but the company it self was good not aware of how bad the manager was as was well able to hide what was going on but I’m sure they must be wondering why so many staff left in a year they staff that were there were some of best Carers I ever worked with and the administrator was very rude and unhelpful always moaning about having to help if asked and always wanted to know everyone business
Pros
Contract hours
Cons
Bad management
Lacked leadership
Product and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 August 2018
BUPA care homes was a large organisation when I worked there and nobody seemed capable of managing the business as a whole, which caused confusion amongst the various departmental functions. It has since sold off a large portfolio of its homes.
One thing that BUPA care homes was passionate about was delivering the best care experience possible, but again this is often not possible with local authorities paying well under the market rate for publicly funded residents.
It's not a place to work if you get easily frustrated or need clear direction.
Pros
Good basic salary at head office
Cons
Low basic salary if you are a care worker.
Dreadful wages
Telephone counsellor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester7 August 2018
Bupa are always recruiting bacp accredited counsellors... And hope to attract them for less than £13 an hour! That's too close to the minimum wage and its just not viable. If you were a trainee with few qualifications and extremely low expectations it might be worth a week working there... If only to show you what you don't ever want to do. I'm sure the staff are very nice and all that but their niceness won't pay yo mortgage.
Pros
Cons
Corporate prison working for a pyramid where you're the monkey and the money goes upwards.
Member services
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 August 2018
Absolutely shocking place to work. Staff are treated like children and managers haven't go a clue about the job and no respect for their staff. Staff are not allowed to make their own decisions and need to go to managers to get answers on what should be common sense queries, half the time they pretend to be on the phone or fob you off. The quality team in this place are atrocious, they are in the job a couple of months and think they know it all. They justify keeping themselves in jobs by moving goalposts to catch the staff out and don't give adequate training, then failing the staff on quality, these people wouldn't last a week in the job. The member services area is in a mess as the staff get told one thing and then another. Whatever you DO NOT WORK IN MEMBER SERVICES. AVOID
Pros
I get to go home
Cons
Lots