Bupa Employee Reviews

Busy and fast paste
Diagnostics Imaging Secretary (Current Employee) –  BUPA Cromwell Hospital15 September 2018
Typical day at work; monitoring all areas of Radiology, supporting the internal teams and external teams, ensuring all reports are going out to the correct Doctors and address. Answering to incoming calls, redirecting calls to the correct area's in the Hospital. Responding to emails and faxes accordingly.
What I have learnt during my time here is to task management. How to prioritise problem solving. How to work with a big team and help all in various daily tasks.
As well as managing and supporting the team. I always hold meetings for Radiology and the occasional MDT meetings. Booking out boardrooms for the year and organising refreshments. I have numerous audits that I use to help run the daily duties smoothly and catch risks and solve/avoid near misses.
The hardest part of my job is that I am the only secretary in Radiology. Sometimes it does take a tole on my daily duties and I normally end up working over time to complete tasks.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I'm doing my part to ensure peoples health's are being solved.
Pros
Discount on gym membership
Cons
Old glory dying in the worst way
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne11 September 2018
Whether Bupa was good at some point ages ago or not, is an opinion. Now a days Bupa is one of the worst Healthcare services for elderly people in the UK.

They just gave up time ago and all they are expecting is eventually shut down or sell the care homes to other companies like HC One (which is giving worst service even).

Since time ago they has stopped any important investment in the Healthcare field, keeping minimum wage for their HCA staff, they don't care about residents, just profits.

Are just places where you wouldn't like to take to a member of your family at all.
Pros
Cons
So many
Worst job ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire8 September 2018
This was my worst job ever. Always short staffed because they pay minimum wage. Heavily reliant on agency staff who would have maximum cigarette breaks. If you speak to management they hear you out but nothing ever gets done. Bupa is the lowest pay care home in our area. The public areas are decorated beautifully but the resident’s room not very good. Bupa expect maximum commitment on very low pay. Maybe if you have a good Manager then things would be different!
Pros
Meeting and chatting to residents and their family
Cons
Long shift patterns and low pay
Average
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays7 September 2018
Good company to work for if you have the right manager. Once you've passed your probation get to a team where you can develop your skills if your in customers services your more or less like a receptionist and doing jobs other teams can not be bothered to do
Pros
Good pay for what you do
Cons
Some Managers giving advice on a job they couldn't do
good
Catering Manager / Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex7 September 2018
good to work for .excellent company to work forvery good benefitvery well managed and they look after the staff i had good time working for bupa and i would love to work for this company.
Amazing caring work place
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtown6 September 2018
I enjoyed working for Bupa. It has given me lots of experience
The staff were amazing to work for and would also be really helpful if you needed someone to talk to.
They are respectful and would always encourage you to do more.
Pros
Free lunch
Caring workplace
Dementia/nursing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burley Hall - Cottingley Hall - Southlands31 August 2018
A typical carer job, help people where they need it, promote independence, looking out for their well being & their best interests and we do some paperwork.

Any job you have heart in you will learn many skills, such as with this job, my interpersonal skills have improve & so has my understanding of people with dementia & other health and mental problems, other than that it is the typical training you undergo in nursing & dementia care.

I have worked at 3 different Bupa homes, the first home, the management was absolutely abysmal, the second home I went to, the management was brilliant, and the newest home I am at, the management seems pretty good but not been there long enough to gain a true/full opinion yet, my main concern in terms of management is to be listened to and something productive comes out of that conversation.

The workplace culture at all 3 homes were good, staff & everyone very welcoming, made you feel like part of a team and most of them were fit for the job as they deeply cared & wanted to do what was best.

The hardest part of the job is getting close to the residents & families which is inevitable & having to see the decline of the resident, otherwise, I would say finicky changes to paperwork & extra work without much reward.

The most enjoyable part of the job, which is the most important part in my opinion, is spending time with the residents, taking to them, getting to know them so they're comfortable within their own/new home as even the more independent residents feel frustrated & isolated at times so it is nice to make a difference to their
  more... life by sitting & having a chat with them, make it feel like home, even to brighten up their day is an achievement, mental well-being is extremely important.  less
Pros
Job satisfaction, Free lunches, Nice environment
Cons
Not being listened to, Paperwork, Being short staffed
Activities coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire30 August 2018
I love Bupa and the care we give to the elderly to second to none.
The hours for staff are long and breaks are minimal.

A meal is provided which is good and uniform .
Activities are daily and cater for individual needs and abilities.
Pros
Very proffessional company. Feels like home
Cons
Constantly in the go. No time to rest.
productive, competitive and money motivation
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex27 August 2018
going through inbound and outbound calls, converting leads, closing sales.
Most challenging: high level of competition and quality and verification intensity.
Best part: commission and working closely with your team.
Pros
good commission and great team
Cons
quality and verification
bad workplace
Renewals Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey27 August 2018
worked at bupa for 6 weeks, I did the training in the classroom managed to pass 3 out of 4 competency tests and the 2 sign offs i failed the last test a few times, my probation was terminated and i was escorted out of the building. this has not put me in a financial crisis as i relocated to this area. i am not happy how i got treated towards the end
Pros
cheap breakfast
Cons
treated unfairly, bad workplace
Reasonble
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lincoln25 August 2018
I enjoyed working for bupa the job was satisfaction I met new people and worked has a team and on my ownthe work colleagues was helpful it was near to home in walking distance
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough pay
Productive and always challenging
MEDICAL RISK ASSESSOR / UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey20 August 2018
My day consisted of being on the telephone taking calls from the sales team with new members, customer services with existing customers, GP's and Consultants, other departments and all dealing with medical queries. I learnt a lot about medical conditions and how they affect the body.
The workplace culture was that of team work, everyone always helping their colleagues.
The hardest part of the job was declining medical cover to someone who so needed that help and the most enjoyable part of my job was always helping others.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Declinging cover for medical conditions
Great place to work!
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester20 August 2018
My experience of working for Bupa EAP has been very positive. I have always been supported by my managers and clinical leads. Throughout my time at Bupa I have learnt and developed both professionally and personally with the help and support from management. I think Bupa EAP is a great place to work as the team spirit is great and everyone looks out for each other, but most importantly Bupa EAP care about their staff and customers and they place Mental Health in the heart of their organisation with a caring attitude.
Pros
Health Insurance, Brand New Building, Great Restaurant and Cafe, Good Values and Ethos
Member services
Member Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 August 2018
Absolutely shocking place to work. Staff are treated like children and managers haven't go a clue about the job and no respect for their staff. Staff are not allowed to make their own decisions and need to go to managers to get answers on what should be common sense queries, half the time they pretend to be on the phone or fob you off. The quality team in this place are atrocious, they are in the job a couple of months and think they know it all. They justify keeping themselves in jobs by moving goalposts to catch the staff out and don't give adequate training, then failing the staff on quality, these people wouldn't last a week in the job. The member services area is in a mess as the staff get told one thing and then another. Whatever you DO NOT WORK IN MEMBER SERVICES. AVOID
Pros
I get to go home
Cons
Lots
Long hours for little pay and no t valued
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  St marys Luton17 August 2018
When I first started was good management and staff were hard working but after a few years of being there a new manager started was worse than anything really brought the home down so many good staff left after being there for years says a lot about how it was run very poor not sure why still in position but the company it self was good not aware of how bad the manager was as was well able to hide what was going on but I’m sure they must be wondering why so many staff left in a year they staff that were there were some of best Carers I ever worked with and the administrator was very rude and unhelpful always moaning about having to help if asked and always wanted to know everyone business
Pros
Contract hours
Cons
Bad management
productive place to work
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Pudsey14 August 2018
Learnt a lot and the staff were very helpful, dedicated and hardworking. Would highly recommend Bupa, its a positive working environment to be in, which enables you to learn a lot from.
Pros
staff were lovely
Cons
breaks were not long
Lacked leadership
Product and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 August 2018
BUPA care homes was a large organisation when I worked there and nobody seemed capable of managing the business as a whole, which caused confusion amongst the various departmental functions. It has since sold off a large portfolio of its homes.
One thing that BUPA care homes was passionate about was delivering the best care experience possible, but again this is often not possible with local authorities paying well under the market rate for publicly funded residents.
It's not a place to work if you get easily frustrated or need clear direction.
Pros
Good basic salary at head office
Cons
Low basic salary if you are a care worker.
Dreadful wages
Telephone counsellor (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester7 August 2018
Bupa are always recruiting bacp accredited counsellors... And hope to attract them for less than £13 an hour! That's too close to the minimum wage and its just not viable. If you were a trainee with few qualifications and extremely low expectations it might be worth a week working there... If only to show you what you don't ever want to do. I'm sure the staff are very nice and all that but their niceness won't pay yo mortgage.
Pros
Cons
Corporate prison working for a pyramid where you're the monkey and the money goes upwards.
NOT a good company to work for
support worker (Former Employee) –  Bridport, Dorset7 August 2018
Not a good company to work for, they put money above care, promissed NVQ training, was always a reason why training could'nt be started, this perticular Home was run under a dictatorship, all the young staff going sick all the time, and the same staff, staff were picking and choosing who to work with and who not to work with, then failing to turn up for shifts
Pros
free meals
Cons
too many hours
Not enough staff and management who dont care
Care Assistant/Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield Peverel, Essex4 August 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. No support from the team, management don't care about anyone. The number of staff is way too low and if you bring this up they don't listen to you.

Overall I wouldn't suggest anyone to work here.
Pros
Food provided
Cons
Long hours, no staff