Bupa Employee Reviews

Found 849 reviews matching the search See all 1,109 reviews
Not for me! Not enough team work!
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire17 November 2018
I was so excited to get the job as activities coordinator
Having done the job in the past knowing the basics!

It was a new and beautiful care home.

My 1st day no one knew where my paperwork was, I still cracked on. Getting things sorted as best I could.

Some nice members of staff, but most of them were overworked and tired to the bone.

Some staff full of gossip, think they now the job better than you, when they need to focus on what they are doing.And "work"' when family members and bosses are around..
To busy to help you, but you always helping them!
When it was always for the residents.

This was a 3 story care home, it seemed like 3 different companies. Doing activities at times was hard.getting help, carers not brining them up and down
Taking them to the loo, I was forever running around.
Hardly any team work! Lets not even talk about communication!

I hope bupa will recognize activities as a department! Sure heard about it when show arounds were happening.and team work!

I felt this bupa has potential to be good, with the right people and support of your good staff who deserve a thank you once in while.

Of course the residents were the best part.

Check your pay as mine was always wrong too!
Pros
Residents, family, some staff
Cons
Not enough team work, activities not treated like a department! The gossip!
productive and enjoyable place
Area Trainer (Former Employee) –  Horsforth14 November 2018
15years lived in Bupa enjoyed every moment .Learned lots about care, management, developed personal career.
Wok place culture was so positive ad very supportive .
Pros
Free lunch
Never again.
Trouble Shooting Team Leader Night and Day shift (Former Employee) –  Newbury4 November 2018
Worst job I had. No support for being open and honest about the culture of the home. I was returning to work after a career break and I nearly gave up nursing.
meet different peaple every day
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge South2 November 2018
working with older people is a worthwhile job making there lives much easier meeting interesting people who have a story to tell good caring staff always professional
Pros
good working seroundings
Don’t apply
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester31 October 2018
Awful place to work, no job security, take commission off you all the time not worth the stress or the amount of hours you do. Promised 1 late a week but 4/5 of them are lates! Not a sales job, not allowed to sell or advise wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy. Loosing staff quicker then they can get them in.
Pros
Cons
No flexibility, hardly ever get commission
FUN and Lovely place to work
Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester31 October 2018
A lovely place to work. I really love the flexible work approach which helps to balance work and family life.BUPA is a company that has got the interest of employees at heart.
Very well managed company, talented Exec team
Management Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  London29 October 2018
For a contract role, I was treated as a perm member of the Finance team. Culture is about team work and having fun. A diverse business with presence internationally
Pros
People and culture
Cons
High turn over of staff for a reason
MSA (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester23 October 2018
I joined Bupa full of enthusiasm. 3 months in and I found myself regretting my decision to leave my previous job. Literally no time to breathe. Constant changing of the goal post for your targets, of which all are u realistic. If you receive a complaint you have 10 mins to investigate. 20 min freedom breaks per day. This includes your comfort breaks. Lovely staff, nice building but as the saying goes... you can't polish a t###.
Pros
Home Time
Cons
Bupa
Great team just not great management
RECEPTIONIST/ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  London21 October 2018
I enjoyed my time at Bupa and working with a great bunch of people but I don't think management was really interested in the staffs concerns. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a lot on your own and not having any management around to help/ back you.
They also didn't help advance the right people.
I would recommend this work place but only if you are happy to not go anywhere!
Pros
good holiday allowance
Cons
no advancement
Member Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford21 October 2018
Working at bupa for a few months now the training is intense but rewarding you have a lot of opportunity at Bupa to move around departments it’s a amazing building and staff are all friendly it’s a very busy environment it’s a challenging job at times but I am enjoying my time here I can’t understand the negative reviews as it’s to has a lot to offer free gym onsite parking and restaurant hours are good what’s to moan about really
Pros
Great building all brand new facilities
Cons
None really I can think of
It's a good company to work with
I cared for elderly clients which I enjoyed (Former Employee) –  Glasgow12 October 2018
I learned a lot when working for them I have a lot of experience working with people and the public the manager was okay to work with I made a lot of friends
Pros
We got free meals when we were on a training course day
Cons
The hours were long 12hour shifts I did 4 nights
It was a good experience
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon29 September 2018
Working in Bupa was absolutely fine. However, I feel as if the salary was too low for my liking. The staff are very nice and welcoming and good at working as a part of a good team.
Not Valued loyalty not rewarded
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire29 September 2018
Having worked for BUPA for 22 + years, I would certainly not recommend them as a Company to work for. After being classed as a Head of Department was downgraded to support. A responsible position and at the end earned 25p an hour more than a kitchen assistant. I was expected to be on call 24 hours a day and was not paid for this only if I actually had to go into the home.
BUPA are more concerned about paperwork (for my department of which I was the only one) being "compliant" than the needs of the residents. Introduced I pads - no training received and oh boy is it easy to cheat e.g. 6 monthly hot water temperatures, paper records every hot tap temperature I pad only requires you to put in one temperature. (As far as I am aware not CQC do not like it)
Staff have no respect for the building, equipment and decoration and management just shrug their shoulders and do nothing about it. Staff turnover is awful, they no longer seem to start than they leave.
I stayed so long because I enjoyed my job. I retired, not a thank you or anything, just deducted me 2.5 hours off my pay as I left early.
Pros
Cons
To numerous to mention
Interesting - can get very busy
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester29 September 2018
Can have different queries from day to day however need to be quick and do everything right.
Need to be used to working in a fast pace busy environment.
fun workplace
customer Retention Advisor (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey25 September 2018
I found my time at Bupa to be both rewarding and Educational, I owe much of my experience to the opportunities provided to me from employment with them.

Working within the call centre environment much of the day might seem repetitive but every conversation was unique to the customer.

I found the hardest part of the job was not being able to help customers due to certain company processes or policies, however, I and the customer understood the reasons these were in place.

The call centre environment was a rewarding and fun place to work with high moral and great team efforts making each day enjoyable and different. There was a healthy level of competition among the department and team.

I did find the progression ladder to be rather difficult to climb.
opinion
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire24 September 2018
You never got a thankyou from the manager for doing a good job, manager shouts at a staff in the middle of the home instead of taking them to the office and explaining what the employee might of done, the housekeeping staff had to clear up poo when they weren't suppose to. The staff always spoke in there own language when in staff room when the rule was that they were suppose to speak English when on site of the care home. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home. We were only aloud a 15 minute break at lunchtimes. Never see any top management at the Bupa care home.
The receptionist and administrator was fine.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, 15 minute lunch break, management.
Busy and fast paste
Diagnostics Imaging Secretary (Current Employee) –  BUPA Cromwell Hospital15 September 2018
Typical day at work; monitoring all areas of Radiology, supporting the internal teams and external teams, ensuring all reports are going out to the correct Doctors and address. Answering to incoming calls, redirecting calls to the correct area's in the Hospital. Responding to emails and faxes accordingly.
What I have learnt during my time here is to task management. How to prioritise problem solving. How to work with a big team and help all in various daily tasks.
As well as managing and supporting the team. I always hold meetings for Radiology and the occasional MDT meetings. Booking out boardrooms for the year and organising refreshments. I have numerous audits that I use to help run the daily duties smoothly and catch risks and solve/avoid near misses.
The hardest part of my job is that I am the only secretary in Radiology. Sometimes it does take a tole on my daily duties and I normally end up working over time to complete tasks.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I'm doing my part to ensure peoples health's are being solved.
Pros
Discount on gym membership
Cons
Old glory dying in the worst way
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne11 September 2018
Whether Bupa was good at some point ages ago or not, is an opinion. Now a days Bupa is one of the worst Healthcare services for elderly people in the UK.

They just gave up time ago and all they are expecting is eventually shut down or sell the care homes to other companies like HC One (which is giving worst service even).

Since time ago they has stopped any important investment in the Healthcare field, keeping minimum wage for their HCA staff, they don't care about residents, just profits.

Are just places where you wouldn't like to take to a member of your family at all.
Pros
Cons
So many
Adored working here... but wasn't good enough
(Temporary) Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays11 September 2018
I absolutely loved working here. I loved the training (I had a great trainer) and I loved getting into the actual role. However, I had not actually passed through the training. It's predicted 5 weeks of calls while being coached before going fully into department (i.e. you're out of training). However, I was ill in the middle of that, and then going back, it was taking me much longer to get through. (You have to pass a certain percentage of audited calls.) I was a bit worried about this while I was still in the probation period, but was assured that every case is assessed individually. As I was enthusiastic about the job, and was good at it with the exception of a few mistakes (which led to failed calls), I wasn't too concerned.

However, one day, unexpectedly, I was given "an unscheduled probation review". I'm not sure if I was expected to defend myself, but as it was out of the blue, I was upset and unable to fight my case, and not half an hour later they told me that my time with Bupa was to be terminated.

As I said, I loved working there. This was because of the positive work environment, particularly the people. Everyone there who I came across was friendly. Maybe one person didn't smile back at me if I smiled at them, honestly. I can't rate the staff highly enough as a whole.

I also liked the strictness of their work policies. However, I think this is where they could also change a bit. I think by all means having rules and making sure they are stuck to is a good thing. From time to time, though, these rules ought to be reassessed an adjusted. For
  more... example, the phone times are monitored, so it is clear when you are on calls and when you are doing other work. You are expected to take all your drink and toilet breaks in the 20 minutes of "freedom breaks" throughout the day, which just isn't enough when you're constantly on calls in all the other time. I also think that this strictness meant they were not as flexible when it came to my learning curve. I could have done really well for Bupa as a company, had they given me the chance to progress at a slightly slower rate than expected.  less
Pros
Employee Assistance Program, staff
Cons
Strict
Worst job ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire8 September 2018
This was my worst job ever. Always short staffed because they pay minimum wage. Heavily reliant on agency staff who would have maximum cigarette breaks. If you speak to management they hear you out but nothing ever gets done. Bupa is the lowest pay care home in our area. The public areas are decorated beautifully but the resident’s room not very good. Bupa expect maximum commitment on very low pay. Maybe if you have a good Manager then things would be different!
Pros
Meeting and chatting to residents and their family
Cons
Long shift patterns and low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.