Bupa
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Bupa Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,409 reviews
Found 1,409 reviews matching the search
People managers need better training so equipped to deal with challenges. No transparency around salary.Appraisals feel arbitrary/box ticking exercise
Bupa are a good brand with a great purpose driving their business. They're making progression in Digitisation and better responding to customer needs. The workplace feels open, friendly, inclusive and fairly relaxed.

However they're extremely hypocritical on the employee/People side of things. They continually bang the drum on things like diversity, inclusion, eNPS, wanting people to love working there. But rarely put their money where their mouth is and have a tendency to dismiss or shush anyone who tries to challenge the status quo around working realities, benefits, salary and progression.

They feel very conservative and sometimes exploitative - seen in clinical environments the most, where support/care staff are overworked and underpaid, yet are constantly hailed as heroes and glorified by managers while their real life working concerns remain unanswered. Much like NHS which is probably surprising for a large Private. I have been fortunate to deal with both frontline workers and head office staff during my tenure, so have good insight into the nuances between the two cultures.

I would love to see Bupa undergo a thorough investigation across the whole UK business into benefit alignment, transparency, gender pay gap and remuneration/bonuses at different levels of the organisation. The dial needs shifting before they become an unattractive place to work.
Pros
Great office facilities (Manchester), encouragement to challenge yourself/step up, generally a good work life balance
Cons
Salary poor/below benchmark, made to feel audacious for challenging/trying to negotiate, some people managers better than others, indicating disparity in the right training/personalities in leadership roles.
Stressful, no promotional prospects,
Very hard unrewarding work. Institutional racism, no promotion. At times i would work 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. PPE was rationed daily. Care assistants were overworked and bullied.Wages were shortened at times. Ended up with mental health when i left.
Horrible
Manger and unit manger will force you out if they don’t like you. They are not very nice and will pick up in everything. Horrible management horrible!
Worst job
The worst company i have ever worked for. You are forced to work long hours, late nights and Saturdays. You have to request a day off 3 months in advance. The managers are lazy and have not got a clue what they are doing. Often upsetting staff
Bad management
No support from management or above.Used to improve the place introduced care plans, paperwork to improve staff work lives.Advised no Manager training available.
Pros
Carestaff excellent
Great company to work for!
Enjoyed every minute of working for this company. Competitive salary and good working conditions. Friendly teams and excellent management. Excellent company benefits
Don’t bother working for this company bloody shocking!!
Management are a joke... have their own rules With top management backing them up despite the gross misconduct that is demonstrated on a regular basis.
Don’t have a sense of humour, conversation or people skills. Be happy to sit on your own in isolation for the day ...dress poorly have no personality ... be happy to suck up to the management and you will fit in perfectly !!
It’s a perfect area
Good company to work for. The home manager’s great. Most of the people are really nice just like any other workplace. Not everyone will like you but that’s okay. We get along professionally. I enjoy working there and looking after the residents. It’s like a second home to me.
Bupa care assistant
All in all is okay working here. Bit of awkwardness and uncomfortable when new as don’t get as much support from colleagues who already work there. Hard to fit in but once you know what your doing seems ok. Long shifts.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Atmosphere, colleague conflict, shadowing shifts wasn’t the best as no one supported detailed enough
Awful to work for !
Having worked as a dental nurse for bupa .you are under valued and for very poorly paid. barely reaching min wage for Qualified nurses!.you are just a number to bupa ! It's all about the management and there share holders hence there big salary, s !!!!shame that's not passed down to the nurses who wrk hhhvvvvberyvryextremehhard
Poor Management
The managment team were very clicky and things were not handled in a way they should have been

Policy and procedure were overlooked and staff were never treated respectfully
Bupa
Good company to work for Bupa salary could be better and work life balance as a pm can be a problem.good progression opportunities and the opportunity to manage your own practice your way with support from a great head office team.
Salary not enough for the work done,management sucks
The manager at Westcombe park where I worked was racist,incompetent had no clue about managerial post took her job as if it was her personal property.
Bupa exploits its workers
I have now worked at Bupa for 15 years in a management role, in all this time never once have I felt appreciated by Bupa, I am not a manager but work in admin role and in all the time at my home i have had a total pay rise in 15 years of £1.10p a hour, we have just had another major pay rise of a fantastic 10p a hour what a joke, I was told I had to isolate for 2 weeks due to Corona and was paid the min of £94 a week sick pay which hardly inspires me or the rest of our staff to be truthfu about our health symptoms, the care staff are paid a min pay wage only and asked for max effort in the work place, there is a atmosphere of fear from care works to Bupa who are ruthless when it comes to any kind of negative feedback regarding wages or working conditions,
In all my years at our home never once have a met a worker who feels appreciated by Bupa be it care or Managerment,

Bupa charges max fees to reserdents but paid min wages to workers which really sums them up, a money grabbing organisation with no care for workers or residents, COME ON BUPA PAY YOUR WORKERS A REASONABLE WAGE AND SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT DOING SO,
Amazing team to be a part of
Bupa Dental Care in Sleaford has around 20,000 patients varying for Private to NHS, there are around 30 members of staff, I enjoying being part of an amazing team and I like the fast pace of the Practice. I find that everyone works well together and if there ever are any issue the Practice Manager is understanding and easy to talk to.

As we are a 8am – 8pm Practice lunch time and breaks are usually at different times but we sometimes meet up after work on different occasions. The Practice Manager is flexible regarding tea and coffee breaks and is happy for you to take 5 if needed.

Bupa provides lots of CPD and yearly first aid courses, they send weekly check up emails updating us with tasks and information. We have meetings monthly which people can raise any problems beforehand and they can be addressed. We even get treated to Pizza 😊
Typical day
I never worked at a care home,but the staff and management have made me feel welcome and supported me throughout from starting my job at Bupa and really feel much more confident person now learned a lot new skills and the experience
Expected more from the Bupa brand
Local management and senior administrator lack experience.
There are no training plans or documented processes. Learning is on the job and communicated badly. Certain individuals are rude and do not demonstrate Bupa values leading to an extremely high staff turnover in the last year which seems to have gone unnoticed or ignored. Pay does not reflect what is asked of the job role. The only positive are the professional Doctors and Clinicians, who deserve a better quality administration team supporting them.
Worked here 2006 till 2011 - Learning & Development
I have no idea what L&D is like there now, but during my time we were forming a collaborative new approach and building a new team capability from the ground up. Within a year the team had won its 1st accolades both within and outside of the organisation.

I learned more about myself there than in any other organisation.
Working for Bupa Dental
I enjoyed working for Bupa but to be honest, they do not look after their lower paid staff very well ie receptionists or nurses as we do not make them any money. They work you hard but do not pay you for what you do
Terrible
Paperwork & expectations were ridiculous . Average age 84 Residents Making paper crowns , sooo embarrassing for them.
Gardening & growing food but residents not allowed to cook or eat, so left to rot.

The senior staff horribly unsupportive.

Residents were fantastic.
Very good
I enjoy working for Bupa
But as any place it can be better

Salaries/ benefits can be higher

The recruitment process can be made easier

Overall it is a good company