Bunnings Employee Reviews

Horrible Work Environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom1 April 2018
Bunnings was an absolutely awful company to work for.

While the pay does sound decent at first compared to some other retail jobs, you soon realise that management will use that as an excuse to treat you like trash and expect you to do more work than is literally possible in the time frame given. You’re also expected to do work that should be done by managers and team leaders whist on a shop assistant wage.

Morale in the store was incredibly low and so many people left in such a short time all because of the way staff were treated. There was such a bullying culture from management even if you were just in the middle of your shift the store manager might just casually threaten the security of your job for whatever reason they’d come up with. On occasion I was shouted at for things that didn’t even happen. Sometimes you’d be called into the office or sometimes they’d just rip into you in front of customers. No matter how hard you work they’d always find something to have a go at you about. Honestly the managers were the worst people I’ve ever met and I don’t know how they expect anyone to want to work when they treat people like that. They’re just power hungry bullies who barely do any work and don’t deserve the jobs they have. They want you to respect them whilst treating everyone like dirt, except of course fellow managers.

I was also underpayed a couple of times and had to chase it up. There were almost no perks to the job. Yes there was the standard store discount but it wasn’t a set percentage it was up to 20% depending on the product. There was no extra pay for
  more... bank holidays or Christmas etc. Overtime as well was rare.

The only good bit of the job was my colleagues who I got along with and were generally nice, it’s the managers that were awful. That and the hours were alright until they changed them.

Overall I can’t tell you how much I don’t recommend working at Bunnings and I’d be happy if I never set foot in one again.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Bullying, underpayed, rubbish benefits, lack of overtime
Starts ok.... turns ugly
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare12 March 2018
I took a job there in admin.
Very positive during the pre opening . Hard work but enjoyed it. Was told serval times.

Then openedstore and within 2 days 12 staff let go.
All promises didnt happen. Im not even be harsh really really poor management.

Stay away at all costs

I worked in several places over last 20 years and been nothing but praised. Went to bunnings it all changed
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Everthing else
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire7 March 2018
Management is appalling, they have no structure what so ever.
Love to keep people on a probation period so they are able to sack people whenever they want.

They try to make you do overtime which is never paid.
Management don't consider their deliveries as a main priority and hardly get them out in time.
I would never order a kitchen from Bunnings as you would be waiting months for it to ever be delivered and would be very surprised if you got the whole order.

I you ever manage to work your way up to a team leader they expect you to work ridiculous hours and not be paid.

Basically would never work for this company again, as rubbish as Homebase was, Bunnings has poor management and put to much pressure on their staff as they like to bark orders but not actually do anything themselves.
Pros
alright pay
Cons
long hours, large workload, not enough support
Bad place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Uk1 March 2018
Not a good place to work. No training given, the management is bad constantly putting you down and never listen to you. It seems like the management try to bullie you and laugh at you. WORST JOB EVER
Pros
Non
Cons
Treated very bad
Bad Managment
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne17 October 2017
was my first warehouse job and was made to think of my own back. no proper training was given. i was then 'let go' for being 'too aggressive'. poor management all the way up. Should be helping employees not putting their confidence down
Pros
non
Cons
the managers
No recommended at the moment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London4 August 2017
Currently one of the worse DIY stores. Bad management and I will take a lot of your personal life.
Salary is good but no if you want to do some overtime
Pros
Lots of breaks, good salary
Cons
Management and
Paint Expert (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Brisbane15 August 2016
Bunnings was excellent about working around my Uni schedule whilst I was studying. They were happy to cut back on my shifts when through exams and give me more shifts during the holidays.
This was key to my survival through school.
A day at Bunnings
Trade Sales (Former Employee) –  Christchurch23 May 2016
A day at bunnings is handwork and constant from the moment you step in the door. our trade yard was constantly busy and i would see myself dealing with many things at once. We would have fun and work hard to make the customers experience seamless.

We would constantly be serving customers in which i learnt to deal with many people from many different back grounds, so i feel i have fantastic communication skills.

I love to have fun with my co workers so fun is a very important part of work which was encouraged at bunnings.

Hardest part of the job was working with angry customers but i always seemed to find a way to change a negative into a positive experience for the customer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the young fun team.
Bunnings Warehouse was a very good company to work for overall, with a relaxed yet strong business culture
D.I.Y. Coordinator (Marketing Department) (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn, Melbourne19 August 2015
> There was no such things as a typical day at work, at one times I was invalid or maging multiple projects with different priorities that had to be met. This sometimes would involve me being out of the office and in stores producing content or out at corporate events helping to ensure that projects were completed to a satisfactory level

>I learned a great deal in my two years with Bunnings. The most important skills i learnt were communication and time management skills. I could see the need to effectively communicate was essential for all roles throughout the business, when communication channels broke down often projects would fail.

> Management were very approachable and would always give time to any employee who needed their help.

>As a team, the marketing department worked extremely well together ensure that the marketing strategy was delivered across all channels

>The hardest part of the job was having to work with multiple teams and multiple departments all with different projects and goals. Teamwork had to be precise to ensure that all work was completed by the due date.

>The most enjoyable part of my job was the trust my manager had in my, allowing me to go about my tasks the way I desired. This gave me great responsibility and creativity but also ensured my project and time management skills were enhanced.
Market leading, fun, vibrant company
Design Planner (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn, Melbourne3 July 2015
With an excellent culture, Bunnings strives to lead by example.

I designed counters, fittings and fixtures etc. for our ever expanding network of stores. They allow team members to deliver projects with almost full creative control, enabling new ideas and ways of thinking to permeate through the chain of command.

One of the best company's I have ever worked for.
Fun work place
Flooring Expert (Former Employee) –  Perth, Joondalup6 March 2015
I have enjoyed working for this company. I later went on to rep. inside 22 of their stores so I knew the place back to front.
They do say you can advance in this job but they do tend to dangle the carrot forever and they've disheartened a lot of people. The more you do the more they expect which is natural. But, you do make up for the shortcomings of a lot of staff that aren't committed that think it's an easy job. It's a tough job physically and mentally.

The hard workers behind the scenes go unnoticed where the ones that are their floating about with smiley faces get the rewards without actually doing much at all. It's an unfair system. The money was okay and the in store vibe was good. We did have a lot of team building workshops and the constant training was beneficial.

Because the advancement was so long and drawn out and unfair I probably wouldn't recommend anyone work there unless it was part time or casual or in a management position.
Pros
Team building and workshops
Cons
Disheartening and draining with low pay.