Buildbase Management reviews

Great if you don't work in the Showroom and like paperwork!
Showroom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire13 July 2019
In my time here I started in the main office helping take off from drawings and quoting materials, which was great as the whole team helped out and worked together. However once I switched to work in the showroom that support was no longer there. Anyone who was asked for even a toilet seat (which are stocked on the shelf) would send the customer straight to me, whether I had a customer in designing a kitchen or not.
In the showroom you are expected to not only do the designs with Fusion 2020 CAD software, but you also have to price them using a different system, and then order using a third system, which then generates a lot of paperwork to organise yourself. Then when deliveries arrive from different suppliers you are expected to go out and check them off yourself, and then file the separate delivery notes. These delivery notes are then filed once more with the main office paperwork, but again it is expected that you have to do this... not the admin colleague.
All this would go on and then you'd still have a queue of customers asking for a toilet seat, kitchen and three bathrooms!
All in all, the showrooms aren't run very well from my experience. There is no support from management and you have to do everything yourself. Including cleaning the displays!
However working down in the main office is a much better environment, although you still have to sort your own problems out.
All this and more... for minimum wage, a single half hour break in the day, 47.75 hours a week, and two stock takes annually (working from 7:45am to 10:00pm!)
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Long hours for 30 minute lunch, no assistance from anyone else, no appreciation
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peckham, Greater London28 June 2019
Rubbish company do waste your time never got any thanks all back stabbing each other every day glad I'm out of there under paid me for years the managers are a bunch of clowns
Pros
Cons
Overworked
very poor place to work avoid avoid avoid
Driver class 2 (Current Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire21 June 2019
If you like to be treated like a dog while your co workers who have been there since day dot swan around having a easy life, this is the place to be.
Management are only concerned in getting you out the gate with as much materials loaded on you as the vehicle will carry, which you end up handballing constantly. Not the best vehicles either as all are about ten years old and falling to bits.
if vosa stop you they would have a field day !!!!!!
Management have no idea how long it takes to either get to your destination or how long it takes to tip, whats invovled or what day it is.
This company does not have anything dinamic going for it, they just keep going from one disaster to another mainly because they are allways under staffed and rock bottom staff morale, having to constantly apollogis to customers all day, is something you have to get used to even though it is quiet embarrassing.
all in all this company gives you the impression that is going down down down down just like other companies who thought they could carry on trading, only on their past reputation and not investing in the future.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
culture, management, poor salary, expectations off what can be achived
Sales development manager highgate and new southgate
Sales Development Manager (Former Employee) –  London16 May 2019
As a sales development manager for buildbase, you are not given a ledger, you are expected to mop floors, serve on the counter, make tea, managers do not allow you to compete with the local competitors. If you are not a yes man to the powers to be, your are let go. I was fired basically for complaining I didn't have a ledger to work on. I thought going to work and wanting to work was what companies wanted. Mysteriously I was wrong.
Pros
Cons
No security unless you are a yes man/woman
Best avoided
Sales counter with yard (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire12 March 2019
Do you enjoy being treated like a idiot by management, or dealing with rude impatient entitled customers, or working outside in all conditions with no chance of drying or warming up.do you relish in all the mistakes made in branch being loaded onto your shoulders. Or maybe you like being tossed to one side while kids get all the promotions. If so join this company, if not don't say I didn't warn you.
Joke
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancashire15 February 2019
Iv worked at Buildbase as driver and the only good thing I can say is its guaranteed pay 7.30 till 5.00. The management don't care about you or how they treat there customers, they promise them its a morning drop knowing its not going to get there till late afternoon and leave you to deal with the customer. They have no understanding of how long it takes to get to jobs unload and get back so they will pester you for how long you will be. That's not even mentioning the amount of times they get addresses wrong or forget to even get one. Asking for any kind of support is impossible they will never back you up you are just a number to them. Its a complete soul destroying place and you would be better of without a job at all.
Pros
its 7.30 till 5.00
Cons
No appreciation. No advancement. terrible management.
Terrible company
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire12 February 2019
This company doesn't care about its employees it only cares about making a profit. It promotes young inexperienced people as managers who haven't got a clue. Employees treated differently throughout the company, managers have their favourites and tend to pick on others. Only way of bettering yourself within this company is to kiss managements backside. Promotes that bonuses are available but then tries to get out of paying them. Overall a terrible company to work for.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management!!
Great company with a brilliant team
Learning and Development (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 February 2019
Buildbase is a fully engaged and growing company. The senior management give you with confidence and the teams you work with create an enjoyable environment.

The business do a lot of for charity and communities, on a national and local level, which makes you proud to be apart off.

The workforce are looked after well with great benefit schemes including bonus and retailer discounts.

It's a fast paced and ever changing culture which creates an exciting workplace.
Gone downhill real quick
Yard Operative (Current Employee) –  Derby1 August 2018
Yard staff are NOT looked after they definitely deserve more from what they get. Nicest way possible management have no clue what theyre doing and doesn’t think of the staff what so ever they need more staff and more trucks, yard is a constant mess and that’s not the yard lads/girls fault. They need more staff! Some good workers on the yard although it’s not enough
Fantastic workplace
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rotherham4 March 2018
Had a long and happy career at this company all employees are really easy to get on with and there is nothing they won't do to help structure is a very big part of life here and plays a fundamental part of work life but rewards are given for hard work and you can aproachmanagement freely .
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Economic restrictions
Great Place to work
Branch Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire31 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working for Buildbase, they are a very straight forward company and what you see is what you get.
I have fun at work and don't dread coming in each morning.
I always know where I stand with management and there is a big 'family' feel about the company.
Pros
Klix Vending Machine
Cons
Car gets very dirty in the car park
Generate new and existing business
Sale Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire2 June 2017
Develop existing account business.
Instigate new business within a designated area.
Establish strong commercial relationships which generate revenue to exceed targets.
Monitor and report on market trends and competitors.
Work with the Product Management to deliver new products.
Develop business relationships with Branch Managers and Regional Directors of supporting branches.
Provide accurate and timely forecasts on a weekly, monthly & quarterly basis
not worth the time
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  south19 May 2017
where to begin it is a dreadful company they don't care about employees nor there salaries are a joke. No one is showing any leadership. don't go for a job here
Pros
Cons
salary
Stifling, poorly managed and overworked
Manager, Hirebase (Former Employee) –  Yeovil11 April 2017
A company that has or had great potential. I suffered under the worst managers I have ever had the misfortune to work with. Not only unskilled and uninterested but also scared of success and only interested in making an easy life for themselves. Not only harmful to the business but helping to create and prolong a morbid and unmotivated atmosphere within the workplace contributing to the highest staff turnover rate I have ever seen.
A real shame as if the people in charge actually cared about the company it could be a real industry leader.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
No support from higher management
Just told to leave
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke21 September 2016
I did my training worked there for 3 weeks nearly
Because I went to management with a problem
They ignored it told I wasn't quick enough
No time was given to residents
Good staff
A professional but friendly atmosphere to work in
Sales Development Manager South East England (Former Employee) –  Dartford25 May 2016
Very happy staff all working together to achieve sales budget.Loved field sales role.Learnt a great deal about heavy side civils products.The branch manager was truly committed and ran a tight ship but was very fair and stood up for any member of staff.Co-workers were so supportive nothing was too trite for them to offer help and assistance.Fridays were the best days of the week as we all got together to discuss week's orders,problems,how to tackle some customers and lots and lots of tea!!
Pros
Complete freedom to do your job the way you thought was best.
Cons
Some of the micro management that came with new MD
BuildBase was a good starting point.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry24 February 2016
As i already was used to waking up for school, i started work at the same time. This was easy for me, however the days were longer and the breaks were shorter.
From this job i had learned different types of skills such as time management and being able to complete the task to a suitable standard. There were some occasions that i was under pressure as i was left alone to handle an order and invoice for the very first time. i would say that I handled that very well as i got it sorted within 5 minutes.
My co-workers were very nice throughout the entire time I was working there. They treated me with respect and as did I.
The hardest part of the job was actually keeping a consistency with the tasks i was doing throughout the day. Even though this was the hardest thing, i kept my consistency.
The most enjoyable part of the job was honestly helping other employees as I like to help others when they need help.
Pros
Sometimes got to leave early.
Cons
No free lunch
Not a lot of thought, very low management level
Branch assisant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City10 January 2016
Worked here for a couple of months, found it hard to swallow doing all the work while assistant manager sits with feet on desk while on his phone on Facebook. And then moans your taking to long speaking to customers, Partnering contract obvisouly not important as no respect for the contract or the staff. Management didn't even question why you leave. Very disappointing company, sounds great but delivers nothing...
Pros
Clean tidy enviroment
Cons
Low wage, expected to do all the work
Banchory hirebase supervisor
Hire supervisor (Former Employee) –  Banchory31 October 2015
Complete lack of training and orginisation.Planned a new opening and was a balls up from start to finish Finish ? Pff NOT endless promises constant staff issues .Management changed more times that the sun has set.great bunch of store and yard staff but they are suffering greatly under poor poor management and constant pressures over cost.budgets.loss and profit margins.There can be no advancement within branch as profit comes before staff EVERYTIME.One final issue and most important NO LIGHTING IN YARD this must be a first for me where there are family members old and young marching around the yard in complete darkness while timber and forklifts anf other heavy deadly objects are flying around.When confronted management said it has not been an issue before????????BEWARE
Pros
Pff
Cons
Everything.
Don't work there you will regret it
Builders merchant (Current Employee) –  ENG14 September 2015
The manager will give you a false sense of security leading you into believing this is a good place to work until things don't go his way then your the rubbish upon his shoe will bad mouth you put you down treat you like a kid demanding you do as he says or you will be sacked he's rude vindictive manipulative and doesn't care who he comes up against if your face doesn't fit then that's it you're out the door I've worked 7 years for this man hard working loyal respectful willing get on with all the customers but this manager is terrible he's known for his bad management skills across the branches but yet the company don't see fit to make any changes about it the truth behind it is he's a dam right bully. They state safety checks don't listen they care more about getting the goods out then you're safety and others just rember what I've told you
Pros
Home time
Cons
Slavery

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buildbase. Our community is ready to answer.