Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

Good way to make easy money, but not quite a sustainable career
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge25 April 2019
Build a bear is an absolutely lovely place to work. When juggling between the extremes of hectic traffic and radio silence in the store, you will find that every shift is different from the last. It requires a great deal of energy to do the job well, and honestly the biggest pitfall of the job is the pay rate. Otherwise this is a lovely place to work, and it proves to be rewarding and enjoyable
Needed to be reassessed
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire9 April 2019
I’ve worked here for nearly 2 years now. At the start I absolutely loved my job however time went on management changed how we all felt in the company.
I would go home crying my eyes out from the intense pressure I had from selling items and receiving emails.
The company is for children stop making it so money involved.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Managers don’t care about employees
Lovely, fun work place.
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 March 2019
The company is amazing to work for, the other members of staff are very friendly and the work is always rewarding. Sometimes customers can be rude, but the friendly ones are what make it worth it.
Pros
good discount
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 February 2019
Very high level of customer service, and always kept busy during a shift. Moved about different stations around the store so that you didn't get bored.
Pros
Can be flexible
Best. Job. Ever.
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Basildon18 January 2019
I've worked at build a bear as it's hands down the best job I've ever had. My co-workers and managers are extremely friendly and I leave work everyday with a smile on my face.
fun workplace with lots of opportunities
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent17 January 2019
working at build a bear allows you to build your skills and create unforgettable moments. The staff and team are lifelong friends aswell as colleges. everyday is different but always positive. The job consists of having fun and always being happy. The role is suitable for people who love children, like to host party’s and generally like to please customers and be happy whilst having fun!
Pros
rewards for good work, friendly colleagues
Cons
salary
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich8 January 2019
Always doing something different every hour. The management was great and I had no problem changing my shift if I had to. I recommend working here if you like a fast paced job.
Turely the best company I have ever worked for.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands7 January 2019
A typical day consists of greeting customers and telling them about promotions and offers that we have on, showing them the new stock and helping choose and build a bear. Helping look for clothes/accessories and dress the bears, up selling at each point and serving the customers, with a smile.

Every member of staff are truly lovely, including management. It all runs very smoothly and I would say that the worst part is that I would just like to have more hours.
Amazing company poor pay for what is expected of you
ASM & Party Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff16 December 2018
Loved every second of this job and I would go back in a heartbeat if the pay was more reflective of the hard work you put in and enabled you to live more comfortably
review
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 November 2018
i was expected to welcome new customers to the shop and encoirga esales in a polite and fiendly manner. i learned how to balance work with lifestyle. the management were good
Fun place to work, but very very demanding and you must deliver the results.
Retail Director (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire29 October 2018
Fun place to work and great fun on the shop-floor, however this is very much a results driven business and you have to deliver.
Great place to work if you love working with children and a fast pace. But this a demanding business that does pay what it should to match its expectations.
Pros
Good Fun, Fast Paced, Working with kids
Cons
Demanding of results, Hard Work
Exploit young people
bear builder (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 October 2018
You have to be very in people's face, I have anxiety and management were not supportive of this. I was accused of not doing my job properly when I would always meet my targets.
Pros
salary, discount
Cons
management
Terrible/unprofessional
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
I worked 2 shifts for this company but left as I was offered a better job. They never paid me what I was owed! I continously tried contacting them but nothing...I emailed so many times but no reply. I called customer services and left voice messages but yet again no reply. I think it's terrible!! I worked so I deserve to get paid. Terrible company to work for.
Was ok
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 October 2018
Treated a bit like an idiot, Unstructured shifts, lack of job security, most of the time I felt out of place, and that I was forcing expensive additions to families who were uncomfortable with the price of the bear already
Fun workplace, bad management
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke26 September 2018
The customers were great and you'd usually get the occasional frequent buyer that you come to know quite well. Other members of staff were really friendly, easy to talk to and so helpful.

The management however is another story. They humiliated other staff members in front of customers. Quite a few people ended up leaving because of it. Shifts were also unorganised and often cancelled to give to someone else.
Pros
Great employees, good discount
Cons
Unpaid breaks and poor management
A very flexible and friendly company to work for!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grays16 September 2018
I enjoyed my time at Build-A-Bear Workshop. The members of staff were very friendly, and we often communicated with other stores, who were equally kind. They were very caring and flexible; giving you hours best suited to you etc.
Rewarding but tiring.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 July 2018
The job was very rewarding as it was lovely seeing how happy it made kids, but management was awful, always ringing you up to work on the day, changing the rota without notice, being very inappropriate and not showing new staff how everything works. I wasn't given any formal training at all throughout store, I only watched videos on how to sell to the kids and greet customers. My "training" on the stuffing machine consisted of watching another sales assistant with a customer the having a go myself with a customer, the management then had to tell me many times how to correctly do things, after not even being told to do those things. Moreover, the communication between managers and staff was appalling - DO NOT WORK THERE.
Pros
30% Discount, Makes kids happy.
Cons
No communication, rubbish ghours
fun
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 July 2018
great company to work for. fun energetic and rewarding. great benefits, fast paced and exciting. meeting lots of different people all the time and making wishes come true
Good for a short period of time
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  London14 July 2018
I would recommend working here if you enjoy working with children and laborious tasks. It's not like any other retail job which is why I think it should pay more. You get paid so little for the amount you do.

It started off as a great job and I thoroughly enjoyed then over time things began to change; not for the greater good and I felt slowly the employees were becoming less and less valued. Also, hours can either be too little or too much - it's hard to find a good in between.

The managers really vary depending where you go - they can be super nice or super nasty.

Overall, I would say this job is most suitable for students looking for part-time work for their years at University or people just looking for something to tide them over until something they want to do on their chosen career path pops up.
Pros
Lots to do
Cons
Little or demanding hours
Fun environment, great experience for aspiring primary teachers.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon13 July 2018
Working at Build a Bear Workshop was a very rewarding experience, seeing the smiles on children's faces was the highlight of everyday. Working as a team was vital when working here, but the fun, exciting environment made it a pleasure to work with others. Confidence was needed when hosting the children's parties but with practice it would come naturally.

More hours would've been appreciated, but was understandable as the company was located in a quiet shopping centre.
Pros
Very fun environment.
Cons
Short shifts, minimal pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Build-A-Bear Workshop. Our community is ready to answer.