BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

The best job I've ever had
Middle Manager (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire4 November 2018
I've been working for BCC for around six months now, and I can safely say that it is the best job that I've ever had. The office is modern, the staff are friendly, the food in the deli is superb. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to work from home one day per week, which really helps with the work-life balance. I would recommend BCC as a place to work.
Pros
Clean, modern, and 21st century offices
Cons
Only two elevators!!
To put it simply - a terrible place to work
former employee for many years (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire1 November 2018
Much back-stabbing in teams, no support from senior management who do not support their employees until they eventually leave the organisation. There is no job security at the council with the turn-over of staff one of the highest in local government. This combined with yearly re-organisations of the council makes this probably the worst local authority you can ever work for.

Although I was paid well and had the chance to remain an employee for many more years if I had wished to, I would not even recommend this place to my worst enemy!
Pros
They pay your salary each month on-time
Cons
far too many to list on this forum
Testing and Trying
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire28 June 2018
This job can be very rewarding but is also very trying and testing and in addition to looking after clients requires lots of paperwork and policy can change within half an hour.
Nevertheless can be very enjoyable sometimes
Pros
Rewarding because you are doing something for others
Cons
Paperwork and beaurocracy
Corporate Work Environment
Contract Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire25 June 2018
Varied work environment across directorates which was challenging in many ways however there isn't that much opportunity to progress and develop without moving roles. As I am now training to be a solicitor, I need to ideally find a role with a more compliance or legal focus.
Really good work place to learn
Energy Manager (Acting) (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire4 June 2018
BCC is an excellent place to learn i.e learning on the job. There are so many colleagues that will answer your questions, so you are never left on your own to figure completed issues.
Friendly, flexible and rewarding
HR (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury18 May 2018
Flexible working is a massive plus - you can alter your hours to suit your personal life, as long as it fits with the business needs - most people do this so it is widely accepted. It is right in the center of town, so great for popping out on your lunch breaks to local shops & restaurants. Or there is a New York Deli on site, which is discounted for BCC employees.

It's a friendly place to work and you are made to feel welcome from the offset - it's such a huge building but individual teams are close so you can build rapports quickly.

Management are supportive and understanding of different pressures and challenges.

There are so many different opportunities at BCC - once you get your foot in the door, you will be offered great support and have the opportunity to move off into different areas within your department and the wider business.
Pros
Flexible working, good benefits package, good work culture
Great Workplace
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire3 May 2018
I worked within a great team that was very supportive. I received a lot of helpful training as well as opportunity for further progression. This was a very good experience
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Fun place to work
Corporate Business Support Admin (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire27 December 2017
They are supportive and guide you through the right channels. God managemet techniques and communication to ensure a smooth day in the co operate business world.
Great team, good job.
Early Years & Childcare Commissioning Officer (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire30 November 2017
Friendly team, clear objectives and targets.
Loved the job.
Managed my own dairy and priorities.
Working from home - remotely.
Enjoyed meeting different people.
Enjoyed networking with people/organisations at different levels.
Great People
Commissioning Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury27 November 2017
The people are friendly and will never make you feel like you are out of place. The offices are open and clean and light, You will always make new friends.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
lacking the perks of a private company
Working in educational sector
Senior Educational Support (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire26 November 2017
Every day is different working with children. Highs and lows but diverse and exciting. Salary, when pro-rata'd down is poor but only working term time is good.
Pros
Local government pension scheme
Cons
Challenging behaviours
Large case loads
Student Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire15 November 2017
Large case load, difficult to manage time boundaries, very stressful environment. Great team members and support, moral was always positive and happy.
No two days are the same
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire6 October 2017
A very proactive and fast paced working environment in my current role here. Enjoyable, every day is different and the directors are lovely to work with.
Family-friendly employer
Complaints Officer (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire30 September 2017
The main office of Bucks County Council is situated in central Aylesbury. This employer is forward-thinking in its approach to flexible working and encouraging its staff to succeed. My time at Bucks CC has shown me how hard individuals are prepared to work to support the local (and wider) community. Service delivery and VFM are at the top of every agenda. Budgetary constraints have impacted on staffing levels and those that remain do "more for less".
Pros
Travel subsidy.
Cons
Minimal salary progression.
Enjoyed my time
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princes Risborough4 September 2017
Good environment, excellent first job. I was approached after volunteering there for a summer. It was timed very well as I could then earn some money during the weekends.
Worked so hard and got no support
manager / support worker / and everthing else no (Former Employee) –  rural29 April 2017
Loved the clients I worked with but the lack of support from higher up was unbelievable. Tried to explain that my job was more than one person's and I could not cope but ended leaving rather than having a breakdown.
Pros
lovely clients
Cons
long hours bad pay no support
Working with lovely people , everyone that works in the building are friendly and willing to help
Level 2 business admin (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury22 April 2017
A great place to work and there is many departments you can work in. Certain job roles can help you gain experience and also can help you develop in the certain team you work in.
Pros
Experience, close to home
Cons
Apprenticeship wage isn't helpful
Nice school
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire12 February 2017
Wonderful stimulating school with freindly staff and a great ethos. The school offers a place for 2 year old up to 11 at year 6. Situated near the nice village of Burnham.
Pros
Term time hours
Enjoyable work place
COMPUTER HELP DESK/TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire10 January 2017
Good public sector company.
Work experience excellent and career advancement.
Friendly.

Negatively there was little flexibility in computer progress. Mostly dictated to by government policy. Little chance to put your own mark on your job.
Pros
job progression
Cons
No recognition
Temporary work
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury5 September 2016
The work i did there was temporary over the Christmas period.

The staff were more than friendly.

The work i did does not really correlate with the staffs normal role so I'm not in a position to review this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location