BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews
Very friendly
I really enjoy my job, I find everyone to be so friendly and helpful. Although it is stressful at times, the overall experience is so rewarding as well as being convenient for me.
Demoralising place to work. Lots of unhappy staff.
Line management is poor. Not offered any training opportunities in 10 years of service.

Line management - biased / bullying.

Leaders are ageist - I made redundant because I was over 50.
Varied but sometimes stressful
Effectively communicate with the senior management and facilitate the operational management with professional guidance as well as timely financial support. Arbitrate the management of the business unit regarding property, finance, IT, Legal, HR, Payroll and Corporate Business Support
Fun, Relaxed and Happy environment
I had such a good time working for BCC, staff are so welcoming and helpful as well as managers.
Things are explained well and you are kept up to date. Organisation is key as well as being friendly and confidant.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Informed, interesting and rewarding.
Working with children is a satisfying job because you know you are helping them out. I had a great experience in the two years I worked there as I did with the staff. I would recommend the job to anyone and would have stayed if I had not have gone to university. A typical day at work was feeding and helping the children while keeping an eye on their welfare, I learned time management patience and to work well with my staff who remunerated through events and gifts at the end of the year. The hardest part of the job was knowing you could not help some children with sensitive issues due to DBS or it being out of your control. But I always looked forward to going to work.
Awful company
You are expected to do the amount of work 5 people should be doing. Management give no support and staff are hostile towards each other. The salary is not enough for what you are expected to do and you are treated so poorly. I would never recommend this company to anyone.
Okay
I work with great people within my team and have responsibility. I have learned many skills but I have a high workload. Management is okay, but could be better lead.
Had made lots of friends in this company. Easy approachable management.
Supports given throughtout.

A member of the team rings you when you finish late to check you have got home safe.
Pros
Excellent support from managers
Cons
Not any
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL?
Good place of work
Very good employer, good atmosphere Bucks offers great opportunities for progression and managers actively encourage it. It's a good environment to learn more about how my County runs and what influences decisions that effect all of us.
I have worked in Bucks for 15 years and have enjoyed all the roles I have undertaken. I am currently a Social Worker and the role is challenging but changing for the better all the time.
I am not leaving Bucks because I dislike it I am relocating

My manager is amazing .
Low morale and lack of support
Low morale
No managers take responsibility

No team ethos

No safety plans in place

Lack of care

Lack of developmental opportunities due to such high turnover of staff
Cons
OK, but can be a bit difficult to fit in.
Prepare and maintain Employee and Employers monthly contributions reconciliation spreadsheets, Deal with queries from both external and internal clients
Pros
location
Cons
More work added to an already full work load
Great opportunities for progression
Good place to work, hours are good however the job role I'm in, there is very limited opportunity to develop or progress.
The place where I work isn't as busy as the council offices.
Pros
Not an open plan office so able to work at your own pace
Cons
You don't get to see any one else in the council as its an off site location
Good at development prospects
My day to day includes presenting library services. Stock management. Premises management. Health and Safety requirements. Conflict resolution with staff members and customers. Long term goals and vision.
Pros
Status and security
Cons
Providing quality services with limited budgets.
The best job I've ever had
I've been working for BCC for around six months now, and I can safely say that it is the best job that I've ever had. The office is modern, the staff are friendly, the food in the deli is superb. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to work from home one day per week, which really helps with the work-life balance. I would recommend BCC as a place to work.
Pros
Clean, modern, and 21st century offices
Cons
Only two elevators!!
To put it simply - a terrible place to work
Much back-stabbing in teams, no support from senior management who do not support their employees until they eventually leave the organisation. There is no job security at the council with the turn-over of staff one of the highest in local government. This combined with yearly re-organisations of the council makes this probably the worst local authority you can ever work for.

Although I was paid well and had the chance to remain an employee for many more years if I had wished to, I would not even recommend this place to my worst enemy!
Pros
They pay your salary each month on-time
Cons
far too many to list on this forum
Testing and Trying
This job can be very rewarding but is also very trying and testing and in addition to looking after clients requires lots of paperwork and policy can change within half an hour.
Nevertheless can be very enjoyable sometimes
Pros
Rewarding because you are doing something for others
Cons
Paperwork and beaurocracy
Corporate Work Environment
Varied work environment across directorates which was challenging in many ways however there isn't that much opportunity to progress and develop without moving roles. As I am now training to be a solicitor, I need to ideally find a role with a more compliance or legal focus.
Really good work place to learn
BCC is an excellent place to learn i.e learning on the job. There are so many colleagues that will answer your questions, so you are never left on your own to figure completed issues.
Friendly, flexible and rewarding
Flexible working is a massive plus - you can alter your hours to suit your personal life, as long as it fits with the business needs - most people do this so it is widely accepted. It is right in the center of town, so great for popping out on your lunch breaks to local shops & restaurants. Or there is a New York Deli on site, which is discounted for BCC employees.

It's a friendly place to work and you are made to feel welcome from the offset - it's such a huge building but individual teams are close so you can build rapports quickly.

Management are supportive and understanding of different pressures and challenges.

There are so many different opportunities at BCC - once you get your foot in the door, you will be offered great support and have the opportunity to move off into different areas within your department and the wider business.
Pros
Flexible working, good benefits package, good work culture
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location