Buckinghamshire Council

Buckinghamshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom88 reviews
One thing I love about working for the Council is the job security and the flexible working. This has become especially noticeable during the pandemic, but has always been a stand-out feature for me.

My role allows me to be flexible with my hours and work from home where needed - this is especially useful as I have a long-term health condition which can sometimes mean I need to attend doctors appointments fairly frequently.

My team are friendly and there is a really positive working atmosphere in the office. We often take advantage of the on-site cafe at the Walton Street Offices too - New York Deli is discounted for staff and it's a great place to catch up over a coffee!

Projects are exciting and you know the work you do will be impacting a lot of people, often in very meaningful ways.
Pros
Local Discounts; Flexible Working; Supportive Colleagues; On-site Cafe.
Cons
Some bureaucracy
collecting and disposing of garbage and recycling waste. Working as team collaboratively and following the given route for the day. Operating the disposal machinery on the trucks
As events staff, we were almost always outside, rarely visiting the upstairs offices. However when it was necessary to interact with my boss(es), they were extremely friendly and all knew my name.
Jobs worth. Totally lacking in communication skills.
Building potential fulltime permanent expectations unrealistically.

Exceeding work hours constantly expected without thanks or reward.
I really enjoy my job, I find everyone to be so friendly and helpful. Although it is stressful at times, the overall experience is so rewarding as well as being convenient for me.
Line management is poor. Not offered any training opportunities in 10 years of service.

Line management - biased / bullying.

Leaders are ageist - I made redundant because I was over 50.
Effectively communicate with the senior management and facilitate the operational management with professional guidance as well as timely financial support. Arbitrate the management of the business unit regarding property, finance, IT, Legal, HR, Payroll and Corporate Business Support
Not a bad place to work at all. Good to serve the residents of the vale, and a very varied and diverse work force. The culture is a little old fashioned at times though. AVDC is soon to merge with the other bucks councils into a unitary body, I think that AVDC will be leading the way in much of the transition (but I am biased!)
I had such a good time working for BCC, staff are so welcoming and helpful as well as managers.
Things are explained well and you are kept up to date. Organisation is key as well as being friendly and confidant.
Pros
Staff
Cons
shame that there is a merger going on with Bucks as AVDC are a forward looking council embracing technology for the benefit of residents. Good bosses although they are now leaving
Working with children is a satisfying job because you know you are helping them out. I had a great experience in the two years I worked there as I did with the staff. I would recommend the job to anyone and would have stayed if I had not have gone to university. A typical day at work was feeding and helping the children while keeping an eye on their welfare, I learned time management patience and to work well with my staff who remunerated through events and gifts at the end of the year. The hardest part of the job was knowing you could not help some children with sensitive issues due to DBS or it being out of your control. But I always looked forward to going to work.
You are expected to do the amount of work 5 people should be doing. Management give no support and staff are hostile towards each other. The salary is not enough for what you are expected to do and you are treated so poorly. I would never recommend this company to anyone.
WDC is a brilliant place to work. Welcoming workplace and a focus on staff wellbeing and professional development. Fun, collaborative environment and the chance to work with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. Incremental pay increases dependent on performance.
I work with great people within my team and have responsibility. I have learned many skills but I have a high workload. Management is okay, but could be better lead.
I would say that my place of work was at the garage where the taxis and private hire vehicles were tested and licensed, however the data base and software used was inadequate for the purpose it was being used for. The management were difficult to please when suggestions were made to improve their handling of the licensing of taxis and private hire vehicles.
I do not want to give a review of this company. It is a place i would like to forget and move on from. Therefore i would not like to complete a review on this company.
Had made lots of friends in this company. Easy approachable management.
Supports given throughtout.

A member of the team rings you when you finish late to check you have got home safe.
Pros
Excellent support from managers
Cons
Not any
All support was provided in my short time at Wycombe District Council. Positively, I was given a wide overview of the finance and commercial department.
Expect high commitment and standards from employees but management do not care about workers. Poor HR, managers interpret HR procedures differently across the company and HR do not ensure it is even across the board. Disciplinary measures implemented for disability problems.
Poor atmosphere and no colleague cammaradiry
Learned good customer service skills etc , friendly staff and organisation skills, I learned computer imputing skills and data input etc.
How to file and photocopy , franking , collecting and delivering post.

Day to day running of the company , making tea and sorting all departments paperwork .
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Not enough one to one
Each day was very varied. The expectations are high but so are the rewards.

Very nice working environment with a friendly team and supportive management.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buckinghamshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.