BT Pay & Benefits reviews

Excellent Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 January 2018
A great place to work, efficient and productive staff, customer focussed, enthusiastic, excellent benefits, good training given at all stages in career, approachable management
Terrible company to work for
Customer options advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne5 December 2017
No support and ridiculous kpis and impossible to actually take holidays as constantly rejected. Taken on as agency staff and oh how you are reminded that constatly treat like youre watched
Pros
Bonus and salary
Cons
No support
Fun but busy
Consumer Retention advisor (Current Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear3 December 2017
The pay is great and there are many benefits like free broadband etc. but the job is sales and requires you to meet targets which can fluctuate throughout the period of the quarter. BT is going through a customer service transformation so it is quite stressful at the moment bt once its sorted and they get on their feet, it will be a nice place to work.
Great Organisation
HR Performance & Attendance Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 December 2017
Great company to work for, lots of opportunities to develop. really enjoy working here great pay and benefits not too bad either. would highly recommend
Pros
Development
good place to work
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Lancaster28 November 2017
was a nice place to work and the pay was great just wasnt the job for me. the benefits wher amazing and the staff where great people i just didnt enjoy being on the phone all day i couldnt handle the stress
Pros
pay
Cons
customers
A building stuffed full of bullies.
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea15 November 2017
My first few months of BT were highly enjoyable.
Training was excellent for the fact that it was 4 weeks of messing around although we learned barely anything, but once out on the floor you're left to fend for yourself against the queries you knew nothing about, and the multitude of colleagues trying to get laid by the "fresh meat".

Most managers avoid helping anyone, often telling you to pretend they're not there when you approach them for help, you have to depend on other people on the floor. Forget about having a manager there for your whole shift as well, because they will all disappear for hours at a time every day for "meetings".

No emotional support of managers, very little opportunity to use your annual leave unless you book it 6+ months in advance.

Favouritism was blatantly obvious with the managers, and the whole atmosphere is like being in school again.

On top of the stress you have from people screaming down the phone at you, you will have your manager having a go at you at the same time so you better have excellent listening skills to be able to listen to both.

Weekly coaching sessions is just a chance for managers to tell you how terrible you are, even if you aren't, and for them to nit pick at every thing you do, including using hold for more than a minute at a time.. which is difficult to avoid when you have to spend ages looking for managers who aren't there. They'll also use this as an opportunity to threaten you with performance plans if you go off sick more than twice.

BT also live by "going for gold" which is essentially one day every
  more... few months where you're all forced to be fake and act like the office is perfect, purely so your site can have a chance at getting a literal gold star.

Overall I did enjoy my time in BT. I learned a lot about the industry, and I learned it isn't for me.
If you can handle the extremely high stress and rarely having leave, then go for it.
Pros
High salary
Cons
Extremely high stress, bullying culture.
Great company
Media Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kings Langley7 November 2017
It's fast paced, competitive, always changing. The culture is what makes this company and is enjoyable. The down side is the hours needed to be successful, work/life balance, and for some roles extensive travel.
Pros
Free lunch, casual dress, unlimited PTO
disorganised
general security assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 November 2017
very good pay but disorganised
wasteful of money and at odds and ends with desicions
not very good job security as i was forced to move depts on 3 occasions because of getting in cheaper agencies
Enjoyable
BT Operator (Current Employee) –  Liverpool6 November 2017
Working at BT is thoroughly enjoyable but the hours are unsociable. The pay was also a lot less than some other operators even though I am trained in more areas.
Good job if you want to be paid well but not progress
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 October 2017
I sent around 18 months at BT as a "call centre advisor" the job can be hard, constantly insulted by customers, criticised by managers for your performance and always listening to your calls. The pay while I was working at BT was very good and the overtime rates and benefits are really good as employees can receive a BT package of the highest broadband and tv packages for the price of just line rental which is beneficial as you save a lot of money. How job satisfaction is at a low and while I was there I noticed people didn't enjoy the actual job of answering phone calls but rather the social side of things, speaking to friends between calls and watching the football of a weekend while in work. In terms of progression going from being on the phone to manager very rarely happens as there are already enough managers there and do not need anymore and as a result very few opportunities come to move on the ladder.
Pros
Pay and Benefits Package
Cons
Long hours, unappreciated, constantly criticised
Good supportive employer
Client Director (Current Employee) –  UK19 October 2017
A great company good benefits and a lot of potential to progress your career.
A whole world of work within a Global organisation.
Challenging and supportive environment encouraging you to develop and grow your skills and knowledge
Pros
Big corporate
Cons
Big coporate
call centre
Telesales (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire18 October 2017
receiving inbound calls
arranging new phone installations
internet connection packages
tv vision packages
customer retention
promoting products
working with BT was enjoyable as it was a very nice call centre atmosphere, however the lack of management input is disheartening. Sometimes I would not see my manager or team leader for up to a week at a time. this made my experience very impersonal.
Pros
salary
Cons
No management structure
stressful and unenjoyable work place
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim12 October 2017
no progression opportunity
no support for family matters/ bereavement

good for CWU - workers union

bonus plan good depending on campaign

late hours depending on campaign
Pros
bonus plans
Cons
no progression oppertunity
comfortable
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2017
very easy to get lost within BT, work from home which saves money travelling.
Depending where you work, you can work 10pm-6am so be careful working for the banks
Retentions advisor
Retentions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire5 October 2017
The hours aren't great - different everyday.
Good salary and potential bonus, pension etc
Managers are in the main not approachable - a couple of really good ones
The hardest part of the job is dealing with complaints you need to be resiliant.
It's demanding but enjoyable speaking to most of the customers.
Pros
pension
Cons
different hours every day
Productive and Fun culture
Deployment/Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire2 October 2017
professional and friendly environment. Tasks are well planned and communicated on time
Extra hours are paid
Free Pizza during upgrades. Good managemnt
Not very technical
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2017
BT are principally a telephone provider. I felt they lacked IT knowledge and many of the management had no experience of it networks or security.

The corporate culture is good if you have worked there for many years but for new people a lot of the perks such as the final salary pension scheme has gone.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Poor in house skills.
Busy environment
Garage Service Manager (Current Employee) –  London25 September 2017
The most enjoyable part are the people you work with. The people make sure the environment worked in is as comfortable as possible. Deal with a variety of customers.
Benefits
Excellent place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon25 September 2017
Excellent place to work with great benefits.

Everyone is really pleasant and very helpful. Great support and good work ethic. Excellent training and online support tools to help you do your job effortlessly.

The management culture is to support train and do regular 1:'1's and staff understand where they are falling down in requirements for the role. But also this is seen as a develop tool so you can go on to be outstanding in everything you do.

The hardest part is sometimes angry customers but this can also be very enjoyable where you turn their complaint into a very satisfied customer.
Pros
Good support and culture the days go very quickly as you are really busy
Cons
Open 365 days of the year and work and homelife sometimes can be a problem to balance
The best company i have ever worked with
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 September 2017
I have been with BTFS for 3 years now and I have to say I have enjoyed every single minute.

Opportunities have been given to me that I never thought I would have before.

No 2 days are the same. Obviously there have been challenges that I am often faced with in my role but with the support I get from my manager and the team around me its something I strive to do my best with.
Pros
Benefits, my team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BT. Our community is ready to answer.