BT Pay & Benefits reviews

People are great, Terrible managment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Accrington28 March 2018
The people and the money are what motivated me to stay at BT for as long as i did. Great benefits,and pay. Terrible management. Only look out for themselves and would do anything to get in a higher place. Do not get stuck here.
reasonable employer
F/ T Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenock21 March 2018
After 12 years in the call centre I felt it was time for a change
but reasonable employer although hours werent great. When BT took over and brought in BT calls as well as already doing EE adn Tmobile calls it seemed like right time for a change
You're just a number
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  South West, UK15 March 2018
I've worked for BT as both agency and directly over two years at more than one site in multiple different departments and roles.
The only thing I can say I loved most about BT are the people I worked with, but most people say that in their own jobs.

When joining BT: You will receive 2-4 weeks training dependent on your line of business and 6-8 weeks in 'grad bay' or 'consolidation' where you'll get good support and coaching from 'floor walkers' who are assistant advisers.
There after you'll still be constantly learning new things about the job and systems however there's nothing else to really aim toward unless you're loved by management and are to meet targets; in this case you'll be able consider progression to become a floor walker, cover manager and so on.

The only issue with "progression" at BT is that it's no guarantee unless you're a direct entrant manager or higher who generally have little experience in telecoms therefore are extremely useless. BT as a corporation don't seem to learn from this though so that'll never change. You can of course move sideways by transferring to different departments and roles however this novelty soon wears off once you've mastered your role and you get bored!

Advice: be likeable, easily manageable(not needy) and be adaptable to change otherwise you will not fit in and you will be 'performanced' out of the business which is what managers WILL do.
Pros
Rotas provided four weeks in-advance usually, salary
Cons
Management, flexibility, unrealistic targets, progression
good company
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke15 March 2018
good company to work for was very stable while i worked there. not so sure what its like now. pretty average salary but a good balance to working and having a social life.
Runs on deception
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Canterbury15 March 2018
You are treated worse than the cusomters but manipulated in the same way. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign up but will then proceed to use you until you can not survive anymore. Then they hire the next lot. Industrial exploitation.
Pros
salary at start
Cons
everything else
A great British company.
Purchase to Pay Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire28 February 2018
Working for BT brings many benefits and few negatives. A really nice office environment and decent equipment to work with. The people are a great bunch and selected on their ability to interact well within a team. Colleagues are expected to put forward ideas and suggestions on how to improve their jobs and, where possible, these are implemented. I suppose that the hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable. BT is a huge company with 1,000's of employees, so it is possible to feel like a tiny cog in a massive machine, but any outgoing individual will have no problem making many friends and acquaintances.
Pros
Office environment; Benefits; Location
Cons
A really big company
Dismal
Customer Connections Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire18 February 2018
I was tempted into this job by the salary, which I thought very generous for the role, that is until I started the job itself. Management is a mixed bag and based solely on luck of the draw as to how good your experience is. Performance measures are completely unrealistic and constantly changing. It’s important not to neglect that customers are mostly irate, impatient and agitated - not really surprising considering the service some of them have received.
I barely had any leave the year I worked there due to the shocking availability all based on an online system reflecting availability of those in your line of business across the country, not just in your centre.
However I will say I met a lot of great people and did learn a lot about my proficiency with systems and computers, as well as improving my phone manner.
Overall just make sure you’re not a sensitive person and you understand that you are paid a good wage for a reason - it’s a depressing job.
Pros
Salary
Cons
It’s a call centre
Good Money
Sales and Retention Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Shields16 February 2018
The Sales and Retention job role is essentially answering calls and trying to help customers to the best of your ability whilst also meeting targets. If you don't meet targets consistently, there is no opportunity for progression. Management ranges from careless to genuinely amazing, it all depends who you get. There is a good support network regarding mental health issues compared to other call centres and they will always try to support you if you are struggling. It is a very diverse environment and it's easy to make a lot of friends. Overall a good place to work if you make a lot of bonus but not if you want to progress.
Pros
Good benefits and bonus
Cons
Long hours and no opportunities
Best to come in from external if you want a decent salary
Technical Security Architect (Current Employee) –  Home Based6 February 2018
Flexible working, some good technologies to work on, pay isn't linked to skills or experience, so if you come in on a job paying less than your skills (due to a previous redundancy for example) then you're going to pretty much stay there.
Work over life
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 February 2018
Great salary if you are money driven but no work life balance or flexibility for parents if your child becomes unwell. Due to being a retention department, the only calls you are coached on are when customer does not stay with the company so it always feels negative as you are only told what you could/should have done. Never coached on a call were customer was saved and told what you have done well. Due to this the morale within the centre is extremely low.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Not an upbeat place to work
Job Satisfaction
Jumper Wire Installer (Former Employee) –  London, UK30 January 2018
A nice place to work, with health benefit and three breaks in a day including 1 hour lunch break and 20 minutes tea breaks. Also offer free education
Pros
Free Medical and Paid Sick Time
Cons
N/a
Nice works no environment
Sales and billing advisor (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough30 January 2018
I worked here for 14 years and loved it till the structure changed in the last couple of years and the presssures of targets took its toll, I have many friends still working there
Pros
Salary and colleagues
Cons
Late nights
Btfs - not bt sales
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Doncaster26 January 2018
Wonderful place to work, very chill and easy to pick up job. All the benefits of working for BT without the mardy customers. just get on with your job and no ones bothers you.
Pros
Free Broadband
Cons
Sales, dont do sales
poor quality team member
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, Tyne and Wear24 January 2018
BT office but poor internet connection, good people and team member but less quality control.

Top down policy, Less opportunity to contribute in skill
Pros
pay salary intime
Cons
less opportunity for skill contribution
Everything fine except the managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire22 January 2018
The work couldn't be faulted as well as the benefits and pay but the ability of the managers to manage was beyond a joke and didn't consider the staff as people.
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hampshire20 January 2018
I enjoyed my time at BT also the job I was doing. I got to travel the country and do a broad variety of jobs. The pay is good if your wanting to put in the overtime
Busy busy
Consumer Help (Current Employee) –  Swansea18 January 2018
A typical day in my role at BT is very busy and complex indeed. Mostly I have spent much of my time there learning how to navigate their needlessly complicated systems which are very poorly constructed.
Management are generally very likeable people and there is some support but personally I feel there is not enough in the hugely variable call types we have to deal with on a daily basis, also unfortunately they are very often seconded and do not have very strong HR knowledge and are not ready to stand up when things are not right.
In my building the culture seems to be controlled by the ex BT Wholesale employees who seem to have the building and potential advancement completely sewn up which is a shame as there as there are so many very capable people who have joined in the last 2 years!
The hardest part of the job is the crazy amount of roles an individual is expected to be competent in within a few months of starting there The needless hot desking which is extremely unsettling and hazardous to health, also many managers do not have any sympathy to the stress of the calls and they constantly bang on about the basic KPI's current hot potatoe.
Now to be fair I have met some wonderful people there and the atmosphere between agents is great the location in the city centre is good and the pay is competitive.
Pros
Competitive salary and location
Cons
Awfull hours and over complicated roles(jacks of all masters of one)
Excellent Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 January 2018
A great place to work, efficient and productive staff, customer focussed, enthusiastic, excellent benefits, good training given at all stages in career, approachable management
Excellent work life balance if managed correctly
Regional HR & Training Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regional6 December 2017
Overall I have had a positive experience but feel like the financial awards are sometimes not reflective of the position/job completed. The work/life balance is good if time managed correctly and overall the management structure are positive
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
salary
Terrible company to work for
Customer options advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne5 December 2017
No support and ridiculous kpis and impossible to actually take holidays as constantly rejected. Taken on as agency staff and oh how you are reminded that constatly treat like youre watched
Pros
Bonus and salary
Cons
No support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BT. Our community is ready to answer.