BT Employee Reviews

Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hampshire20 January 2018
I enjoyed my time at BT also the job I was doing. I got to travel the country and do a broad variety of jobs. The pay is good if your wanting to put in the overtime
fun
operator (Former Employee) –  old street19 January 2018
great people to work with, just not the job for me, hours were not suited to myself. Very good energy and managers and coaches are great to work with. over all good company to work for if you want to progress further in sales industry.
Busy busy
Consumer Help (Current Employee) –  Swansea18 January 2018
A typical day in my role at BT is very busy and complex indeed. Mostly I have spent much of my time there learning how to navigate their needlessly complicated systems which are very poorly constructed.
Management are generally very likeable people and there is some support but personally I feel there is not enough in the hugely variable call types we have to deal with on a daily basis, also unfortunately they are very often seconded and do not have very strong HR knowledge and are not ready to stand up when things are not right.
In my building the culture seems to be controlled by the ex BT Wholesale employees who seem to have the building and potential advancement completely sewn up which is a shame as there as there are so many very capable people who have joined in the last 2 years!
The hardest part of the job is the crazy amount of roles an individual is expected to be competent in within a few months of starting there The needless hot desking which is extremely unsettling and hazardous to health, also many managers do not have any sympathy to the stress of the calls and they constantly bang on about the basic KPI's current hot potatoe.
Now to be fair I have met some wonderful people there and the atmosphere between agents is great the location in the city centre is good and the pay is competitive.
Pros
Competitive salary and location
Cons
Awfull hours and over complicated roles(jacks of all masters of one)
Excellent Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 January 2018
A great place to work, efficient and productive staff, customer focussed, enthusiastic, excellent benefits, good training given at all stages in career, approachable management
Typist
Casual Specialist Typist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire14 January 2018
BT was a great place to work.

The company is very team orientated, its a nice family environment.

Good restaurant with great lunches.

Good social club
Great pay but no life
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 January 2018
Senior management push you so hard that you spend your time working evenings and weekends, and life time gets pushed out.
Current trend is to push experienced staff out and replace with inexperienced cheaper staff.
The new joiner rewards have change and are not as good as the past.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No Work/life balance, reduced rewards package
clerical work
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone and London11 January 2018
various clerical duties at different times including employees holiday and time sheet documentation. covering other clerical staff in other locations.
Pros
Good work practices
Cons
cant think of any
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 January 2018
I worked for BT several years ago now but I have fond memories.
The Management were approachable and supportive of staff.
Unfortunately there was a recruitment freeze following my temporary position and I was unable to stay in the Company.
alright place to work
Retentions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow10 January 2018
It was an alright job while i was there. People were friendly. The shift patterns are a bit all over the place and you have to work most weekends which is okay.
Good company to work for.
Call Handler (Former Employee) –  Newport10 January 2018
I was very happy working in BT until unfortunately my local site closed down. Within the 13 years i worked for them i could only say good things about the company.
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Longbenton7 January 2018
handling of confidential documents for new entrants joining the business.
communicating with the candidates.
Accurate and timely Reporting
Organization is a must,
Working to deadlines.
Hardest part of the job was the long hours
Most enjoyable was when the candidate joined the business on day one of training. You knew you had completed all the tasks relevant.
Pros
Pension scheme, holiday entitlement
A UK success story
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Devon5 January 2018
In my 35-year career with BT I learned loads, worked with some great people and lived through the transformation of the company from an old-style public utility to a FTSE 100 success story and world-class communications provider. For long-term career development opportunities in a cutting-edge business sector, I'd still highly recommend BT.
Pros
Learning opportunities; good support and backup systems
Cons
People location policies a bit strange; performance management culture still a WIP
Good company to work for
Solutions Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Home Based4 January 2018
Everyday at work is different, you learn something new each day.
The self development within the company is amazing with very helpful managers.
The culture at work is fantastic every worker is treated with respect, a core value of the company
Long service
Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire2 January 2018
Worked for BT for many years, fond memories and generally a good company to work for.
Recently has become too heavily focused on numbers and not on the staff or the customers.
BT Tech
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chessington27 December 2017
I was initially employed as an Installation Engineer, installing BT services to both business and residential customers. During my first year I also spent some time working within the Control Office, allocating work to other engineers, maintaining daily records of manpower activity levels and liaising with customers. I transferred to a Major Systems Wiring Group, where I was responsible for large business installations. This including the fitting and maintenance of phone systems. This work often involved the planning of the installation, dealing with day to day issues and problems as they arose and the supervision of other engineers. I was also responsible for working with contractors in a supervisory role. I was asked to transfer to the Installation Repair Section of BT. Within this section I was involved in the installation, maintenance, repair and special investigation of both business and residential services to new and existing BT customers. Worst part of the job came when BT tried to force shifts on engineers, sign up or leave was the message.
Pros
Working in different place each week or month
Cons
Worst part of the job came when BT tried to force shifts on engineers
Just a Number
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester19 December 2017
This was a very mundane and robotic role, as is any call center role. I learned a lot about customer service and customer management and this is the positive take for me. My customer service skills are now very high and I fully understand providing a quality service. Workplace culture isn't the best, a lot of office back chat and an overall sense of negativity in conversations. The hardest part of this role is that it isn't varied and you really are doing things on auto-pilot. Call centres like to control their employees through stats and call handling times which puts immense pressure on the advisor for providing a quality service.
Pros
God Customer Service Experience
Cons
Long Hours, Controlled
rewarding
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire18 December 2017
I have worked here for 15 years. I enjoy all aspects of the business. I have been very lucky within BT to work across the country delivering training, and further afield in the offshore centres.
Excellent Eployer with endless opportunities.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 December 2017
Great employer with good terms and condition and endless opportunities for the right people to advance. Great training, support and encouragement to be the best you can be.
great company
Telecoms Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 December 2017
left back in 2000 so loads will have changed by now but great when i was there, started as an apprentice and worked my way up to technical officer. the background as an apprentice was invaluable and even useful to this day
Excellent team work
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 December 2017
Administration and working as part of a team, dealing with day to day office duties from answering telephones, filling and dealing with queries.
What i learned was working as a team and getting involved with all administration instead of doing only one job.
Management were approachable and always ready and willing to assist with any problems.
A strong team work culture.
The hardest part of the job was managing the volume of work with very tight deadlines.
Contributing to resolving a customers issue.
Pros
Go to different offices which added variety to the day.
Cons
Working till very late.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BT. Our community is ready to answer.