Brunelcare Employee Reviews in Bridgwater

Featured review
Brunelcare selected this as a representative review
Good strong reliable company
Team Leader for Bristol Services (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 February 2018
Great company to work for, now paying carers for their travel time rather than just face to face. Fantastic induction with an ethical ethos towards care.
Avoid
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset14 January 2019
management look down on carers, make rules up as they go along and do not meet clients needs unless they pay privately. Paid per visit and not per shift.
Shift start at 7am till 2pm but only get paid 4 hours because of gaps. Travel time between clients is never enough, team leader will ignore complaints about this from carers. Avoid working for Brunel unless you have a degree in maths as you will need this to work your wage slip out. Wages always wrong and you have to argue to be paid correctly. If you take a shift off sick they take 6 hours pay but if it’s annual leave they only pay 4 hours. Not a pleasant company to work for.
Clients lovely, but without some of the carers going above and beyond their duties ( and not being paid ) many of these clients would not have food in the cupboards. Shame management at Brunel do not recognise that their carers are not happy before they all leave the sinking ship.
Pros
Training
Cons
Bad management, Travel time, unpaid gaps between clients, wage disputes, begging to work on days off, no praise or encouragement
Official response from Brunelcare
5 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience working with us at Brunelcare.

This may seem like a standard reply but it is not, we have reviewed and discussed your comments as a team and we want to do everything we can to make our employees experience a positive one.

What you have written is important, we are determined to ensure that we use it to help us to improve on the commitment we make to you and all of our employees. We are always looking at ways in which we can provide a higher level of service to employees and clients alike. We acknowledge there will be times when we get things wrong and we will learn from these experiences moving forward.

What you have written has been raised with the director responsible and the registered manager and I know that they are keen to understand the background that has led to your dissatisfaction. They will be looking into your comments fully and seeking to make positive changes as a result

Our very best wishes for the future and we hope you will consider working with us again if the chance presents itself.

Unreliable and unsupportive
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater23 April 2018
No help with mental health, managers lack compassion for staff AND clients. Shifts change week to week without guaranteed hours '35 hours' works out more like 16.5 if you're lucky.
Official response from Brunelcare
27 April 2018

Hi. Thank you for posting a review of your experience working with us at Brunelcare. We strive to be a provider of high quality housing, care and support for older people in the South West, developing ways for people to stay as independent as possible, creating great communities to live, work and enjoy being in.

We know just how much you and your colleagues care. We understand our responsibility to be an employer that deserves that level of commitment and we are trying hard to be just that. If we got it wrong we are sorry and we will strive to learn from your comments.

Enjoy the work
Coummunity (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater8 January 2018
Worked for Brunelcare for 3.5 years, after working for other care companies and found them the best.
Brilliant client focus.
Very supportive and will always listen.
Would recommend a career with them.
Pros
Brilliant induction and training
Care for customers AND staff
Carer (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset24 May 2017
Have worked for Brunel for 15 months after working for 25 years in a totally different environment. And love the change of career. The whole ethos of the company is kind and caring and the induction training is brilliant with a mixture of classroom based learning and practical experience shadowing experienced staff. Lots of ongoing training and support. Good support from team leaders and managers. Also like the fact I am now paid for my full shift not just the time I spend with customers. Brunelcare care a lot about the people who work for them as well as the customers.
Pros
Shift pay so paid contracted hours not just face to face time
Cons
Some Late nights but that's just part of the job
Stressful but rewarding
Community Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset1 February 2017
A typical day at work is often tiring and can be stressful, however, it is very rewarding as you are making a difference. Ive learned a lot about a lot of medical conditions, treatments and medications. The hardest part of the job is working alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is when people are pleased to see you.
One of the best!
domacilliary carer (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater18 September 2015
Having worked for the company for 5 years, I can honestly say its one of the best out there. Having worked for other companies.
Brilliant up to date training. Some flexibility and great team members.
It has unsociable hours, but that's part of the job. And the wear and tear on your vehicle is up to you! Great mileage allowance compared with other companies. Paid meetings too. They pay for your NVQ2, and even give you a reward for doing it. Free uniform and induction - which they pay you to attend. Along with mileage.
Free insurance cover should you die whilst employed with them.
28 days paid holidays - double pay on bank holidays and Christmas/new year.
Tend to have a little trouble covering holidays and sickness, and only 2 carers allowed holidays in any one week, one at the weekend.
Book your holidays early or you wont get them!
I found on occasion, bad communication between office & carers. Example: not being informed of cancelled calls.
Pros
Fab company to work for
Cons
Bad communication between office & Carers, unsociable working hours.