Brunelcare Employee Reviews

Featured review
Brunelcare selected this as a representative review
Good strong reliable company
Team Leader for Bristol Services (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 February 2018
Great company to work for, now paying carers for their travel time rather than just face to face. Fantastic induction with an ethical ethos towards care.
Good team and brilliant facility
Reablement Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 September 2019
In my time at brunelcare I gained a lot of training and opportunities to progress in the company. Allowing myself to gain knowledge in many areas. The team I worked with were amazing. Brilliant nursing staff and support workers. The facilities at Brunelcare are very good.
12 September 2019

We are really happy to hear that you had a positive experience working with us. We are continuously trying to make Brunelcare a great place to work so that all our teams are happy and part of something more for the customers we care for.

Thanks for being part of this and helping make a positive difference.

Not a good experience
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 August 2019
Promises made at interview were not upheld shift patterns unacceptable and not conducive to learning new skills and safe practice . Concerns over care culture not addressed when raised .
Support promised was not there . I think maybe the issues aren't the same in all of their services and I may have had a better experience in one of their well managed nursing homes that is highly regarded/ outstanding
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Not compliant with supervision process, Poor management, demotivated staff, inequalities, normal candour and process not follwed
13 August 2019

We are sorry to read that your experience of working with us has not been an entirely positive one.

Your comments are really important to us to help us to continually improve and we would thank you for letting us know about your experience and so please do get in touch if you feel that you would like to discuss your concerns further.

Our very best wishes for the future

Excellent supportive employer
Annon (Current Employee) –  Annon19 June 2019
I have worked for this company for over 10 years and have always been really impressed with the commitment of management to make it a good place to work for it's employees and to put the elderly people it supports at the centre of everything it does.

This Charity is truly supportive of it's employees. They have given me development opportunity after development opportunity, supported me to get my qualifications and given me great work life balance when I started a family of my own.

They are not about money making and profit as they are a Charity and they really care about their employees and customers.

I would really recommend them.

Pros
Great development and support
12 September 2019

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with working with Brunelcare. We are really glad to hear that your experience with us is a positive one. We continue to try to make Brunelcare a great place to work so that all our teams are happy and part of something more for the customers we care for.

We would like to take this time to thank you for you 10 years experience with Brunelcare and hope that you can continue to be a part of something more and make a positive difference with us for many more years.

No support
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol2 June 2019
On moving departments management went supportive at all. Previous role within brunelcare was slightly better but not great. Management would not support me with a client I new well after 3 years. Not good.
Pros
Pay coming in
Cons
Management lacking
21 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience working with us at Brunelcare.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not feel your time with Brunelcare was positive. We have reviewed and discussed your comments as a team as we want to do everything we can to make our employees, experience a really positive one.

Your comments are really important to us as we are determined to ensure that we continually improve for all of our employees. We acknowledge there will be times when we get things wrong and we will learn from these experiences moving forward.

We have raised your comments with the director responsible for Community Services and I know that she is keen to understand the background that has led to your dissatisfaction. If you feel you would like to offer us further details to allow us to fully look into your comments, then please do make contact. We will be happy to look into your comments fully so that we can seek to make positive changes as a result.

Our very best wishes for the future and we hope you will consider working with us again if the chance presents itself.

Unsupportive to nursing staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol28 March 2019
12 hour shifts within a 'blame' culture. Very little support from management. As a new nurse I requested mentorship, but this was never given. When mistakes are made people like to point the finger. Residents admitted into care were completely inappropriate for the level of care offered. Staff were expected to manage aggression on a daily basis as a result. Not enough time to really connect with and care for the residents with dementia.
Pros
When time allowed it was wonderful to support people with dementia.
Cons
Long hours, lack of support, blame culture, dictatorial management
4 September 2019

Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate that your time with us did not end positively. We are unable to respond to individual issues on an open forum but please do contact us if you would like to discuss your individual case in confidence.

Shocked to say the least.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury22 March 2019
I enjoyed working at Brunel care, I was in my probationary period, so I’d been there about a 6 weeks, I took a couple days off because I was so unwell. Before realising that my problem was then becoming something very severe, I had taken a few days off work to be able to get better, in this time I was taken to hospital where I was for 2 weeks and in that time having an operation, through this whole period keeping work informed, my manager kept asking to do house visits, was extremely rude to my mother on the phone, and then sent me a letter a week later stating ‘21 days off work is not exceptable in this workplace’ I’m not sure what I find more shocking, that she did this after my mother declined her into our home whilst I was recovering or that she fired me whilst I was on sick leave with a sick note.
Overall the staff was amazing and I enjoyed the job. Management is absolutely awful.
Pros
Staff were great and so helpful.
Cons
Being fired on sick.
27 March 2019

I am sorry to hear that you felt your experience of working with Brunelcare was not a positive one. We have a robust and supportive absence management process and always try and tailor the approach and support provided based on individual circumstances. Our key focus is always providing a good service to our customers and supporting employees is a big part of that. We can't comment on individual cases but if you would like to discuss this matter further, please get in touch with our HR team.

Avoid
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset14 January 2019
management look down on carers, make rules up as they go along and do not meet clients needs unless they pay privately. Paid per visit and not per shift.
Shift start at 7am till 2pm but only get paid 4 hours because of gaps. Travel time between clients is never enough, team leader will ignore complaints about this from carers. Avoid working for Brunel unless you have a degree in maths as you will need this to work your wage slip out. Wages always wrong and you have to argue to be paid correctly. If you take a shift off sick they take 6 hours pay but if it’s annual leave they only pay 4 hours. Not a pleasant company to work for.
Clients lovely, but without some of the carers going above and beyond their duties ( and not being paid ) many of these clients would not have food in the cupboards. Shame management at Brunel do not recognise that their carers are not happy before they all leave the sinking ship.
Pros
Training
Cons
Bad management, Travel time, unpaid gaps between clients, wage disputes, begging to work on days off, no praise or encouragement
5 February 2019

This may seem like a standard reply but it is not, we have reviewed and discussed your comments as a team and we want to do everything we can to make our employees experience a positive one.

What you have written is important, we are determined to ensure that we use it to help us to improve on the commitment we make to you and all of our employees. We are always looking at ways in which we can provide a higher level of service to employees and clients alike. We acknowledge there will be times when we get things wrong and we will learn from these experiences moving forward.

What you have written has been raised with the director responsible and the registered manager and I know that they are keen to understand the background that has led to your dissatisfaction. They will be looking into your comments fully and seeking to make positive changes as a result

Challenging
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 October 2018
I am responsible for the schedules of our clients and colleagues, ensure I am doing review performances with my colleagues. Liaising with various professionals, ensuring the staff are trained and have the knowledge to do their job. Keep care plans up to date, keep spreadsheets up to date, maintain a good working relationships with staff and managements.
Amazing team
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol29 June 2018
Amazing team that cares for their clients providing great service.
The management team is not amazing at communicating thighs and there are limited career progression opportunities.
A good team
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom17 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have given your best support when and if needed, to get a smile or a positive response from clients and their families.
Pros
free lunces
Unreliable and unsupportive
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater23 April 2018
No help with mental health, managers lack compassion for staff AND clients. Shifts change week to week without guaranteed hours '35 hours' works out more like 16.5 if you're lucky.
27 April 2018

Hi. Thank you for posting a review of your experience working with us at Brunelcare. We strive to be a provider of high quality housing, care and support for older people in the South West, developing ways for people to stay as independent as possible, creating great communities to live, work and enjoy being in.

We know just how much you and your colleagues care. We understand our responsibility to be an employer that deserves that level of commitment and we are trying hard to be just that. If we got it wrong we are sorry and we will strive to learn from your comments.

Good
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol9 April 2018
Lovely staff and always work as a team. Will pull together when needed and always help each other out the best they can! I've learned a lot from these guys. Very little room to progress but plenty of opportunity to better yourself for bigger things! Help as much as they can and are very understanding, try to make your work life as easy as can be! Although job very stressful at times it is very rewarding and hard work does not go unnoticed!
Enjoy the work
Coummunity (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater8 January 2018
Worked for Brunelcare for 3.5 years, after working for other care companies and found them the best.
Brilliant client focus.
Very supportive and will always listen.
Would recommend a career with them.
Pros
Brilliant induction and training
Sensitive and caring
Time for you (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 January 2018
This is a good company to work for in the care community. It has good structure to move up the career ladder with also good work benefits. A caring and understanding company
Management only got 1 star as counld not do 0
Carer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 November 2017
working for brunelcare was the worst years of my life.
the staff were ok but the management were awful
The ABC centre and Woodland court were the worst for neglecting staff needs.
I would not recommend Brunelcare but try one if the other care agencys
For example: St monicas trust
Prestige
or many more.
Not the best
Senior Reablement worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CT1 November 2017
Great for experience with hospital discharge however very clicky and did not manage certain staff when problems occurred. Left issues to breed for to long so it became a very unpleasant place to work. I left earlier then intended due to a staff member being allowed to continue bad practice.
Unprofessional workers with the wrong attitude towards the client group. Serious concerns were raised with no follow up
Exploitative employer
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset6 October 2017
Worked for almost 2 years as a care assistant. Travel time unpaid which took hourly rate well below minimum wage.
Split shifts and any gaps between clients unpaid.
Had 36 hour per week contract which was not honoured when new staff were taken on and hours dropped as low as 16 hours per week.
Expected to use personal phone and constantly phoned on days off begging me to work.
Training better than most private care companies.
No work life balance.
Only work for this company to gain experience and as a stepping stone to something better. or if you are desperate for work. They will make lots of promises at the interview such as funding you to achieve NVQ qualifications yet never make good.
They constantly hold open days for recruitment ( ask yourself why ) and have a revolving door of care staff.
Think very carefully before working for this company.
Pros
Tremendously rewarding on a personal level.
Cons
Exploitative employer.
The home is nice, management is not
Housekeeper/Carer (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury30 June 2017
They are a good company to work for, but sadly I've only been there 5yrs and we have had 4 managers who each time want to put changes in place and not always for the best, the home itself is lovely and so is my team, but management is not good so a lot of staff are leaving reluctantly 😔
Pros
No uniform needed, just black trousers and nice top
Cons
Don't always get your breaks
Care for customers AND staff
Carer (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset24 May 2017
Have worked for Brunel for 15 months after working for 25 years in a totally different environment. And love the change of career. The whole ethos of the company is kind and caring and the induction training is brilliant with a mixture of classroom based learning and practical experience shadowing experienced staff. Lots of ongoing training and support. Good support from team leaders and managers. Also like the fact I am now paid for my full shift not just the time I spend with customers. Brunelcare care a lot about the people who work for them as well as the customers.
Pros
Shift pay so paid contracted hours not just face to face time
Cons
Some Late nights but that's just part of the job
loved my manager
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 May 2017
I got on really well with my manager at Brunel Care, but when the company was being 2 payed over to Guinness care and support and my manager wasn't going to be my manage anymore I wanted to leave. I love all the residents I used to work with and very much enjoyed my time at Brunel care just issues with staffing and other issues where the reason why I decided it was my time to go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brunelcare. Our community is ready to answer.