Brunel University

Brunel University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom113 reviews
Great place work an study
Great place to work and study - very talented people. Would recommend this organisation to others for work or study. Full of ideas both for people management and development of students. Very caring
Pros
Trust
Cons
IT causes stress and frustration
paying well for graduate teaching assistants and friendly superiors
I was working part-time next to my PhD. It was a well-paid job. It has an international and diverse environment. They were supportive of their students.
Overall a disappointing job role
My job role was perfect and I enjoyed the role immensely but the level of senior management support was shocking. There is a big gossip culture and not much is done to erase this.
Nice environment
The support from Brunel University is immense and very helpful. Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere allows you to do your best work and grow your self.
Watch out, management about.
Brunel has a great image. It also has a unique way of hiding "problems" from the rest of the world. Firstly i was given/promised a salary that could not be achieved because it was "not in a pay band" That may sound fine but i should not have been promised this in the first place and of course they pushed it down not up!
Secondly due to lack of Government funding the University is much more interested in getting numbers through. For instance the mech eng class has almost tripled in size, overall though the pass rates and i mean good pass rates have fallen sharply. And whilst class sizes have increased the level of manning has not. By their own rules it is one technician per 20 students which means technically one mech engineering class should have three, but only has one. Reasons given for lack of staff? no budget for it. In a reality check the spending has massively gone up, just check out the new building worth billions being built...

In a recent expose the university was heavily criticized for the head deans salary, something in the region of 3x more than the prime ministers...

And last but not least and the most saddest is the management has covered up on no less than three occasions severe bullying. One member of staff has caused severe disruption. One member of staff had to re locate to another department, one has left and one sacked and they have done nothing as they are scared because he successfully sued his previous employer (they actually paid out to get it over with) This member of staff continues this mis behaviour and is attempting to use personnel rules
 - more...
Great place, still can improve
Typical day at work is 9 to 5 different duties to cover and easy to accomplish.
Great support from my line manager and work team.

Fantastic facilities and work environment.
Slow paced environment
I worked for a local temp agency, worked through a summer, restoring and refitting rooms used by the students.
Sadly the fellow workers, and i use that term "worker" very loosely, were at best actually present on site, doing anything productive is another matter, the manager of the group of men was due retirement and in all brutality really didn't care if anything was achieved throughout the day.

i was disliked from the start due to the fact i enjoy working and get a sense of satisfaction form a good days work, i was paid a lot less then the full time workers yet did most of the work needed doing.

was actively threatened by a member of the crew as he felt i was rocking the boat working hard, was later threatened outside of work after i had completed my summer of work, he complained that now the bosses want to know why i got the repairs done alone when a team cannot get.

i would absolutely love to be working back as a maintenance man again, but this time as a team leader of management so i can build a team that actually cares about the job, and students welfare.

I am happy for this review to be used as a form of educating the management of brunel and maybe getting some change initiated.
Pros
was able due to the lazy workers work alone and get the job done correctly
Cons
the work crew
Most Rewarding
I worked as a teaching technician in the design department for 11 years and it was the most rewarding job of my career. To see young students male/female come into the University in there1st year,scared and not sure if they had chosen the right course. And see them at graduation 4 years later well rounded highly motivated people excited about starting there career in design.
Big team
Beautiful places there, sunny and a lot of green trees. Uxbridge is perfect city, I love to be there. Nice surroundings, take a walk near the river to Denham, see the boats :) . Enjoy your life there :) .
Pros and cons
Pay rates are decent, work environment bearable, lots of walking (buggies available only for those who are willing to spend fortune on insurance and have special driving license), parking not provided (prepare to pay fines), managers are great, but be prepared to take blame not only for yours, but for team leaders and supervisors mistakes as well...
interesting and fun
the easy relaxed and chill environment
you just have to make sure you are there on time staff and friends are really friendly and easy to get along with.
Tiring but fun
Each day starts with the briefing; we are told where we work and all necessary information regarding the students we supervise during the exams. We prepare the rooms, deliver the papers and wait for the students to enter the room at the allotted time.

Once the exam begins, we march up and down the isles, watching the students, checking they are not cheating, supporting them in every possible way. Parallel to this, we take the register.

At the end of the examination, we collect the scripts. Eventually, we allow the students outside the examination rooms.
Nice Place to work
The main tasks are: filing, data entry and student services
It is great place to work

Benefits are great

Easy to get to work

Many job opportunities

Great Location
Great place to work for
Management staff couldn't do more to make you feel included. A great well thought-out and fair rota system means although varied hours you can always plan around them.
fun and easy going workplace
the only bad part about the job is that there isn't always stuff to do as many students leave the uni during off-terms, leaving brunel workers empty-handed
Loved it
Brunel was a great place to work, lovely culture. Decent pay, you meet lovely friendly people each day and the work life balance is great. Highly recommend.
Attrocious work life balance and terrible administration
Staff are expected to work 60+ hrs a week despite only being contracted for significantly less. Students are often frustrated by poor adminstration by the university and take this out on the lecturers. Processes get in the way of providing an enjoyable place to work and freedom to properly research topics. This is a terrible employer and I am seeking jobs elsewhere.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No UK industry experience for senior colleagues in depts.
Stressful and overworked
Overall could been a great place to work as lots of great co-workers and near home but had the misfortune of having a female Manager who preferred men to women. Penalised those of us Mothers with children despite the guys taking more sick days than us.
Pros
Lovely campus with amenities such as coffee shop and gym
Cons
Stress, workload, bullying Manager
Speaking from the context of a grad teaching assistant. I can’t fault this organisation. Everything seemed to work well while I was a TA. Great support from supervisor, colleagues and other members of staff.
Varied role
Vibrant fun place to work and learn new skills
New generation of business focus

Fun place to work.

Working with staff students managers and strategic officers. Welcome students and visitors
Pros
Brunel merchandise. Max Buzz. Events all year rkund
Maintain a separate source of funds
Serious flaws in payroll resulting in unpaid salaries with employees still expected to work.

Extremely slow for any decision to be made, chain of command unclear.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brunel University. Our community is ready to answer.
Brunel University Reviews by Location