Brooklands College

Brooklands College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
My experience as a volunteering ICT management teacher there was fair.

The students were sometimes rude and the institution's condition overall was indecent.

Teaching methodologies should be improved.
Intelligent friendly and trusting people/staff/students, travel was an issue (Welcome to Weybridge) the engineering and I.T department where good...everyone mucked in.
Pros
Intelectual & friendly staff
Tipical Old School FE college SLT look after themselves all had pay rises and working staff pay frozen. A lot of FE Week articles that are of interesting reading and Ofsted inspection any time now. However nice woodland to walk around when stressed.
Bad management. Morale is too low due to a bad salary and people treat each other very bad. Students so rude with staff. You finished your day with Depression and frustration.
I would only recommend Brooklands college for the experience of dealing with badly behaved teenagers because new teachers need that experience. Also to test out the new teacher's classroom management styles on the learners.
Also when I was there the management did not help at all until it was too late.
Lovely boss who worked like a trojan, but the rest of the staff were dyed in the wool nine to fivers. Much of the work was bizarre, from the ever moving funding statements, through the VC using incorrect revenue recognition, taking a whole week to calculate VAT on canteen takings of about £5k, and nobody taking responsibility to ensure course cancellations were correctly recorded.
Pros
Nice boss
Cons
indifferent staff
So far, within my first year at Brooklands..I've really enjoyed it there! Especially when it comes to doing English in particular, I found it in myself that I can express my writing more, e.g: Lot's of thorough detail/explanation, grammar and quotes. With Maths however, there are still the little things that I struggle with, mainly to do with complex logical questions. All in all...my experience there has been great so far!
Pros
£100 dedication for your travel
Cons
Longer day on a Wednesday
Supportive managers, admin staff, great team Good rate of pay, friendly and welcoming environment. The students are all a pleasure to teach, best job I have ever had!
Pros
Pay, support from managers, admin, friendly
Cons
Pressure to fill classes of 15 plus students
Watch your back in this place. A never ending series of redundancy, pay freezes for years at a time and senior management who dont listen to staff (NB staff surveys are not anonymous, so its the Saddam Hussain approach to gaining feedback).

The grounds look like a rubbish tip, the whole place feels run down and tired and there is a revolving door of staff
Pros
Friendly & Conscientious Staff
Cons
Useless Senior Management
Good staff, good team, I worked well with others and did what I could to help ensure that things ran smoothly for all. I learned a lot along the way.
The college needs a whole new senior leadership team. One that is willing to listen to staff and their ideas, that want to make money for the college and make is a pleasant place to work.
Everyone is so much under pressure, always stressed out, and the management just don't care a bit.

The College is going down the pan, which is such a shame, as with the right senior leadership team in place the college could be turned around.

Would I recommend friends or family to work at the College, definitely not.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Salary, stress
The college is poorly run by its Principal, 4 Vice Principals, numerous Directors and Managers.

The college debt is escalating out of control due to bad decisions at its over bloated managerial level but it's the staff and students who ultimately suffer.

The support staff are undervalued/under payed and are under constant risk of redundancy which seems to happens every year!

Staff moral is at an all time low and Brooklands College is an employer to avoid at all costs. I would have given zero stars as a review but was unable to.
Pros
Car parking
Cons
To many to list
Strength of this organisation lies with the staff who work above and beyond their remit, with very limited resources, to deliver the best outcomes for students. Unfortunately, management is weak leading to lack of confidence. Repeated re-structures cause lack of security and severe staff shortages.
Pros
supportive colleagues
Cons
lack of resources
Great college, really looking forward to studying my courses in September and finally doing something with my life. They are very professional and supportive people and are always willing to help no matter what your needs be!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No cons
No Sales and marketing strategy, a typical day is cold calling local major companies. It has a culture which is old fashioned and not open to change.
Pros
Cheap meals
Cons
Not creative
Tutors are friendly and with good experience but there is a lack of support, respect and honesty from certain parts of management which has led to a demoralised atmosphere and a "them and us" environment.
Cons
Very little appreciation of staff.
The management at Brooklands College do not value or respect their staff. Leadership style is very autocratic. Don't apply for a job here if you expect your opinions to be heard.
Pros
Leafy setting
Cons
Very old-fashioned style of working
- Signing in, doing assignments as well as leaning
- Very friendly teacher and colleagues

- Hardest part is to do the assignments

- Your friends are there with you and teacher is supportive as well as fun
Pros
Independence, breaks
As I student I was impressed with the layout and the helpful staff. Typical day was to sit in classroom. The other peers in my classroom were too noisy for me though. Most enjoyable part was learning complicated words and the way everyone talks isn't standard English
The teaching staff are very good.
Work home balance in term time is very poor.

Staff cover is non-excistant with funding costs for FE being slashed
Pros
Salary
Cons
Home time
I see so many people across the day so feel it is a very sociable job. I have been able to take advantage of the courses on offer and I am currently taking my English L2.
There is a very friendly, family atmosphere amongst staff and being able to assist in any way is one of the pro's of the job. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to some of the students as they move on.
Pros
Very social and free gym
Cons
Moral in departments vary