British Transport Police Employee Reviews

This is what i do
specialist officer (Current Employee) –  Camden, Greater London20 October 2018
Great as an employer, government is the problem, Theresa May has destroyed the police which is the reason the knife crime is so rife now.
any officer with any sense now is leaving
those that are staying are staying because of pension details.
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
many
dependent on dept
admin / coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 October 2018
good place for progression,
sometimes toxic,
hard work for little money
make great relationships,
hard to get voice heard,
great for building connections
Resource Anylist
Assumed the role of health and safety officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 October 2018
Doing rosters for Police up to 12 weeks in advance, arranging A/L for officers, and court appearances. Not to trust everybody on your office. Also done Health& Safety for events at major events, and arranged officers for G8 summit
Pros
Cons
Bullied
Great opportunities
FHQ Resilience Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Camden, Greater London4 October 2018
Great opportunities to help the travelling public. Emergency planning on a national scale, working with multi-agency partners in blue-light, transport and beyond
Very productive and professional
Network & infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Camden Town, Greater London13 August 2018
Well structured environment and also a fun place to work. The people are very helpful and do almost everything to make you feel welcome in the execution of your job.
Pros
do as you are told and things will be fine.
Cons
not following instructions.
Very disciplined organisation to work for
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London20 July 2018
I wish I’d never left the force. I have some wonderful memories whilst working for BTP.
BTP is National Force who’s main responsibilities are to patrol the rail network. BTP it’s very unique and specialised force with lots of opportunities to develop.
Pros
Policing
Cons
Unpredictable hours at times
Working for the public
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 May 2018
Every day is different you can be helping the vubrable to minutes later arresting a violent person. I have travelled all over England throuout my time doing numerous operations for example the World Cup in 2006 to assisting the metropolitan police at the time of the riots and G20 in 2009. I have learnt how to communicate with everyone as every person is different. I have enjoyed learning and passing these skills onto new recruits, my day consists of officers approaching me and asking for advice and on some occasions confidence. I like to think I am well tuned in what I do and can work as a team or alone, getting great results with or what I deal with.
Pros
Helping the public and changing lives
Cons
Long hours and fatigue
Great teams to work with but poor management
POLICE SERGEANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 February 2018
Long hours with a terrible shift pattern, which offers a poor work life balance. The work culture is at times toxic and moral is vey low. Not a place that I would recommend to work.
Good
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  London19 February 2018
Volunteer police constable based with full police powers. Based on the London Underground and central London overground railways;
Achieved solo patrol status after demonstrating competence in relevant laws and procedures, the use of force and general policing;
Provided a visible policing presence and interacted with the public to deter crime and reassure travellers;
Worked in stressful circumstances involving railway disruption, injuries, fatalities, violence, mental health issues, drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse and public disorder;
Pcso
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 February 2018
Treated like children, Inspector had no people skills, she had awful attitude.
No work life balance, you are expected to eat sleep and breathe BTP.
the say they promote diversity and listen to people....believe me its the total opposite.
I left to be a guard on the train...less hassle and more money.
Pros
none really
Cons
long hours, cancelled rest days, not great pay.
policing on the railway
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  London31 January 2018
The role is a varied one and every day can be different. This depends on where you are posted. At the moment I am on a static posting at a mainline station and most days are the same. Dealing with fare evaders beggars and shop lifting everyday can become monotonous.
The work life balance is non existent but this was something I was prepared for when I joined.
The salary is okay and there are frequent increments up to 7 years when your salary does not change unless you seek promotion.
The hardest part of the job can be when there is a major incident. This can also be the most rewarding knowing that you are helping so many people in a terrible situation
Pros
chance for development
Cons
work life balance
Interesting and alot to learn
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London5 January 2018
- A typical day at work involves, Statement taking and Report submission
-What I learnt is to Maintain professionalism when under pressure
- Management are friendly and helpful
- Workplace culture is friendly and welcoming
- The hardest part of the job is the Patrols
- The most enjoyable part of the job is community engagement
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long Hours
No two days are the same
Business Analyst for Core systems (Current Employee) –  Camden Town, Greater London19 December 2017
BTP is very fast paced and different every day. The team I work with are a good support - from both above and below.
With dealing with daily queries from the business, working closely with the system supplier and liaising with individuals to make the system better for them, you don't have much time for anything else.
The biggest downfall is the economic climate putting constraints on the budget for BTP, and therefore resources being low. The best bit about my job is knowing that I am part of a larger team that protects and helps society stay safe and get justice.
Long hours.
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Glasgow7 December 2017
This job can be long hours tiring with little reward. I personally wouldn't recommend this job to another. A lot of responsibility with little or no support.
Pros
Free rail travel
Challenging
police (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 October 2017
Good opportunities. Organisation going through many changes causing uncertainty.
Being a national force there are opportunities to move around the country without having to transfer. Force is currently looking to introduce firearms capability to other areas outside which will offer additional career opportunities. The force remains predominantly London centric.
Pros
Good internal opportunities
Cons
Long hours, poor shift pattern
Always learning something new everyday and experienceing something new everyday too
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 September 2017
Being a officer is fantastic able to help people and to arrest when necessary. Goes hand in hand being a officer, you get to work and meet new people everyday and deal with different issues/ incidents
Pros
Helping the Community, engaging with them and rail staff. Knowing how to defend yourself and making good friends
Cons
Long shift hours, cancelled days off
Racist
Level 2 Crime Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 August 2017
Environment was toxic and there were bullying tactics adopted by management, both police staff and police officers alike. This was my second job out of university and due to the environment I was signed off with stress.
Great Organisation to Work
Business Support Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 August 2017
due to security reasons cannot divulge in a shared environment worked in the organisation for in excess of 20 years in various roles and my last role was at HQ within Corporate Services in the role of Business Support Manager. Enjoyed the experience and the challenges it brought.
Outstanding force to work for
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2017
I wish I hadn't left.
Certainly the best Police force to work for. Many opportunities and different career paths to chose from.

The hardest bit was paperwork. Although good job satisfaction when seeing the end result.
Pros
Cons
Paperwork. And long hours
Productive for keeping the community safe
Senior Administrator/Diversity Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds14 July 2017
Very good company as it protects our society and also gives our society confidence that they are safe using the facilities and surrounding areas. Fabulous for acknowledging culture differences.
Pros
Helping society
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to assist