British Transport Police Employee Reviews

Good
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  London19 February 2018
Volunteer police constable based with full police powers. Based on the London Underground and central London overground railways;
Achieved solo patrol status after demonstrating competence in relevant laws and procedures, the use of force and general policing;
Provided a visible policing presence and interacted with the public to deter crime and reassure travellers;
Worked in stressful circumstances involving railway disruption, injuries, fatalities, violence, mental health issues, drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse and public disorder;
Pcso
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 February 2018
Treated like children, Inspector had no people skills, she had awful attitude.
No work life balance, you are expected to eat sleep and breathe BTP.
the say they promote diversity and listen to people....believe me its the total opposite.
I left to be a guard on the train...less hassle and more money.
Pros
none really
Cons
long hours, cancelled rest days, not great pay.
Interesting and alot to learn
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London5 January 2018
- A typical day at work involves, Statement taking and Report submission
-What I learnt is to Maintain professionalism when under pressure
- Management are friendly and helpful
- Workplace culture is friendly and welcoming
- The hardest part of the job is the Patrols
- The most enjoyable part of the job is community engagement
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long Hours
No two days are the same
Business Analyst for Core systems (Current Employee) –  Camden Town, Greater London19 December 2017
BTP is very fast paced and different every day. The team I work with are a good support - from both above and below.
With dealing with daily queries from the business, working closely with the system supplier and liaising with individuals to make the system better for them, you don't have much time for anything else.
The biggest downfall is the economic climate putting constraints on the budget for BTP, and therefore resources being low. The best bit about my job is knowing that I am part of a larger team that protects and helps society stay safe and get justice.
Long hours.
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Glasgow7 December 2017
This job can be long hours tiring with little reward. I personally wouldn't recommend this job to another. A lot of responsibility with little or no support.
Pros
Free rail travel
Challenging
police (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 October 2017
Good opportunities. Organisation going through many changes causing uncertainty.
Being a national force there are opportunities to move around the country without having to transfer. Force is currently looking to introduce firearms capability to other areas outside which will offer additional career opportunities. The force remains predominantly London centric.
Pros
Good internal opportunities
Cons
Long hours, poor shift pattern
Always learning something new everyday and experienceing something new everyday too
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 September 2017
Being a officer is fantastic able to help people and to arrest when necessary. Goes hand in hand being a officer, you get to work and meet new people everyday and deal with different issues/ incidents
Pros
Helping the Community, engaging with them and rail staff. Knowing how to defend yourself and making good friends
Cons
Long shift hours, cancelled days off
Racist
Level 2 Crime Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 August 2017
Environment was toxic and there were bullying tactics adopted by management, both police staff and police officers alike. This was my second job out of university and due to the environment I was signed off with stress.
Great Organisation to Work
Business Support Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 August 2017
due to security reasons cannot divulge in a shared environment worked in the organisation for in excess of 20 years in various roles and my last role was at HQ within Corporate Services in the role of Business Support Manager. Enjoyed the experience and the challenges it brought.
Outstanding force to work for
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2017
I wish I hadn't left.
Certainly the best Police force to work for. Many opportunities and different career paths to chose from.

The hardest bit was paperwork. Although good job satisfaction when seeing the end result.
Pros
Cons
Paperwork. And long hours
Productive for keeping the community safe
Senior Administrator/Diversity Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds14 July 2017
Very good company as it protects our society and also gives our society confidence that they are safe using the facilities and surrounding areas. Fabulous for acknowledging culture differences.
Pros
Helping society
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to assist
productive
Duties (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London20 June 2017
Working with the BTP helped me mature in my working life being responsible for the duties of each officer in the north london section it was my duty that each office got fare share of hours plus overtime if they needed or asked for. This job learnt me the ability to organise my work. Also working with such a great team helped me build on my own confidence.
Pros
outside working team building
Cons
long hours and long commute
Restructuring
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 March 2017
Kept putting of my probation period due to restructuring of the administration departments.

Staff excellent to work alongside.

Management needs more development with people skills.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long Hours
19 years carrying out the full dities of a police officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester5 March 2017
very busy and enjoyable career which I carried out to a very high standard, carried out all duties as required I learnt a vast amount about peoples nature and behaviour
Pros
meeting and helping the public
Cons
violent and abusive people
A great learning curve
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 March 2017
Friendly place to work, managed multiple projects over a years fixed term contract. Very varied tasks, but enjoyable with good management, and superb staff.
Pros
Days of in leiu
Cons
Very long hours
Stimulating
Police Officer/Civilian Investigator (Former Employee) –  Londom5 February 2017
A police officer's role is very challenging but rewarding.The friends I made in the police service have remained good friends because of the unique nature of the job. The hardest part of the job was speaking to families of victims of crime and trying to reassure them that the police will do their utmost to apprehend the offender.The most enjoyable was helping members of the public and bringing offenders to justice.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Productive, but little progression
Finance Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 January 2017
No day is the same at British Transport Police, its very much like a big happy family, teamwork is essential.
Unfortunately there is a recruitment freeze so there is huge pressure on team members to cover work and provide a service.
You do receive overtime, and each employee is high in demand.

All areas of the business are in the same situation.

Only downfall for me personally is that I aspire to be an accountant, and all the accountants are based in London, BTP prefer them to stay there and are not in favour of agile working.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, demanding
A challenging and demanding role providing safety and reassurance to the travelling rail public and staff.
Operational Police Inspector (Current Employee) –  Central London12 November 2016
Being an Inspector of a team of thirty team police officers and overall responsibility for about two hundred police officers and staff in London and Home Counties. I attend all rail fatalities and those involving serious injuries. Am responsible on a daily basis for every policing incident on my area to ensure they are properly dealt with, providing victim care and empathy, crimed and investigated and offenders arrested with proportionality and necessity tests being applied.
Pros
demanding and stressful requiring fast time decision making.
Cons
Long hours and demanding shifts difficult with family life.
First Class
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London10 November 2016
Simply First Class Excellent Fantastic Futuristic Endearing Supportive Insightful Full Of Promise Accepting and Non Critical This corporated encourages the underdog.They have I feel a As above So below philisophical way of doing things. Every day no matter the challenge the Sun shines and the Earth rotates setting the bench mark of achievement. The spirit within comes alive because the employee feels and senses he is appreciated. A place were Age is repected and not devalued.
ever changine enviroment
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Nottingham19 October 2016
in the police force of today it is a challenging and most times unforgiving environment.

The underming circumstances of an every day within the police force consists of every body talking about everyone else.
This is a practice iam not comfortable with and never will be
Pros
job security
Cons
back biting and gossiping