British Transport Police

British Transport Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom93 reviews
It was the sort of work I was looking for at the time
I enjoyed working with the people and the work was what I wanted to do at the time. They were flexible about the number of hours and start and finish times.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
Not well paid and they tend to assume that people with skills are the same as those without.
Great career choice
Great friendly environment to work for very stressful job fast paced great diversity great prospects pension available uniform provided for certain jobs.
Pros
Great government benefits
Cons
Night shifts 12 hours
Excellent police force
I had an Absolutely fabulous and varied career with British transport police. I did every course I ever needed to help with my role. I did almost 40 years on the frontline.
If you work hard and show promise they will give you all the tools you need for a long a successful career.
Terrible Employer
The culture that exists within BTP is that of corrosive bullying and harassment. From what I witnessed with each new intake they pick out one or two individuals to pick on and criticise at every opportunity as a direct warning to others to toe the party line, The training is OK but intensive and quite stressful. You are constantly monitored throughout your training and your tutor con can either endorse you or shoot you down in flames for the slightest mistake,The hours and work life balance is frankly terrible, the shifts patterns are long and monotonous with endless dull paperwork to complete. You are openly encouraged to forget your former life and friends and join the so called 'BTP family' therefore living and breathing your job.The bullying and small mindedness is on a par with the worst school bullying imaginable. I was off work sick for 3 day (the only time I was off on sick leave) and the other PC's on my shift actually knocked at my home address to check my sickness was genuine, disgusting. I thankfully resigned after 2 years in the job and have to put it down as by far the worst experience in my life which took me many years to get over. I wasn't alone in this as I met many other serving BTP officers who detested the depressing culture of the job but were reliant on the reasonable wage due to personal circumstances. If you are looking for a job as a Police Officer I would steer anybody away from this dreadful organisation and join one of the far superior county forces.
Knowledge of law highly required
. This is a performance related pay employment
. Whatever the work role, time management is needed

. Pension is very good

. There is plenty of training depending on work role
Enjoy the role
A busy role, with opportunities. It is country wide so there is travelling involved. People are mostly friendly. I enjoy my role, but appreciate it may not be everyones view.
motivating environment, working with some great people.
Enjoyed working there, work was varied opportunity to develop and be proactive. Can be slow to get decisions on actions to be taken and internal politics can be overwhelming. It is a hierarchical organisation but can push through this. There are opportunities to progress if want to. Will go through a vigorous screening process took 3 months from successful interview to final offer
sometimes challenging
Morale is quiet low at the moment as BTP are undertaking a money saving project; so there is a lot of uncertainty through departments which effect staff. Officers keep their jobs, but can be tasked.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at British Transport Police?
Interesting
Serving the Public.
dealing with disorder.

carrying out investigations in to crime.

dealing with fatalities on the railway.

football duties and events.

good career prospects.
Enjoyable and productive place to work
Overall, it was a great place to work. I learnt more about month-end processes and other year-end activities. The working environment was friendly and got on well with colleagues.
realistic review
The working environment is challenging due to the nature of the work and the duplicitous and unnecessarily complicated processes which are in place.The 'people' ie the front line cops are second to none.
BTP is well established organisation who aim to provide a service by protecting vulnerable people within the community.
I started off on a temporary 4 month contract which then continued as a roll over. After 4 years of working with BTP I was put into redundancy pool and then offered a job match. I have recently left now due to this job match not being suitable. There are plenty of opportunities for training and development into other positions within the organisation. I would highly recommend working for this company and would always come back as a loyal ex police member of staff. There were plenty of opportunities for overtime work.
Going through a difficult patch
This was great once, really friendly with a can-do attitude however it has gone downhill in the last few years but still the staff do what they can to help the public. It should be great again once the bosses refresh.
BTP need to look after their staff better
They need to look after the staff better.
Old Technology with aging infrastructure.

BTP are still stuck in their old ways

The pay rates are very low.
Great environment to work
Complete management transparency. Had a lot of respect from the staff because they were allowed working hours to suit both the individual and management of the department. Gutted I was only temping!
Worst Police Force In the Country
I will start with the training, its very good and you will meet friends for life. however once that has finished then the real BTP hits you like a brick. Very bad Sergeants and management just looking after there own careers, looking for anything to have a go at you for and putting you on an action plan! lots of inhouse bullying where any reports just falls on deaf ears if your face does not fit. BTP are so far behing the real police, real police i mean home office forces, BTP treat a bike theft like murder. The salary is not bad and you get oyster cards to travel when off duty, but thats it really if you dont fit in they will somehow push you so far you resign. This is my experience at Reading, if you want to join the Police then stay well clear of BTP and join a proper Police Force IE Home office.
Pros
Oyster Cards
Cons
Management, paperwork, bullying
Law enforcement and public safety
A diverse workplace with opportunity to develop and specialise.
Focussing on safety and security.

Front line and back office work available with opportunity for promotion.
Pros
Salary and pension
Cons
Shift work
Really pleasant to work for them fun and good work balance
Excellent place to work best job I’ve ever had
You at to work hard but it was appreciated, if you needed assistance with problems they helped, salaries are competitive and pension scheme is very good, friendly place to work I had had 25 very happy years working for the British transport Police would recommend it
Progressive Employer
The British Transport Police are a force which is currently undergoing, and has already gone through a period of change, with the main emphasis of Policing now on safeguarding.

I feel that management and senior officers are open to improvements, and will listen to their staff.

If you are outside of the large metropolitan areas there is little scope for promotion or specialisation, and you will in all likelyhood be on response, or maybe CID.

If you are a response officer you could find yourself working by yourself for days at a time, covering large geographical areas.

I would recommend joining this force as a Police Officer, but be prepared to spend a majority of your time dealing with mental health issues, safeguarding and working alone.
Good
Very good job, good prospects, very good benefits and happy place to work with good managers. Trusted to work unsupervised and left to work on own initiative which I liked.
Pros
Good overall benefits
Cons
Long commute into London
No longer a great career
Sadly all policing has changed for the worse in recent years. Bureaucracy and political involvement hinders the cop on the beat. Lack of support from management/ government is very apparent. No longer do you honestly believe you’re making a difference. The industry no longer want you for a long career and are happy to see your experience go to waste. And the admin - well that’s ridiculous.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Transport Police. Our community is ready to answer.