British Steel Employee Reviews

Not for me
Trainee Engineer (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe4 February 2019
Overall there wasn't enough structure to the workplace, there'd be days where you would turn up and wouldn't know what you would be doing. You'd ask your mentor and they would have to go their boss to find out the answer. There was a lot of waiting around, wasted time and not enough support when needed.
Pros
Employees
Good working atmosphere.
Production team leader (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire17 September 2018
Good workplace culture.Dangerous work working with molten steel.
Working on a live casting machine working as a supervisor making important decisions on the process and peoples safety.
Dealing with management was most of the time productive hard work at times getting them to see your point of view.
Great working amongst a group of people who you worked closely with to ensure the best product was produded for the customer.
fun work place
Structural Painter (Former Employee) –  british steel13 September 2018
enjoyed this work place good staff and management different assignments every day .never stressed or rushed to do certain jobs .every body got on with each other as a team
Pros
free lunches on occations
Cons
no bad cons
Hit and Miss
Technical (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe11 September 2018
The company apprenticeship scheme that I have come through is very good and gives useful skills to take to any company. Overall the business is very old and quite under-funded so it can be hard to get good work done and reasonable improvements. Has quite a lazy culture. Needs a culture shift to really turn the place around.
Poor management
Sales (Former Employee) –  UK28 August 2018
This is one of the worst companies I have worked for. The Management do not care about, or support their employees and there is no opportunity for advancement unless you're "one of the boys". There is a misogynistic culture here all the way from the top to the bottom. The salaries here are low compared to the rest of the industry (do not get sucked in by the promise of a bonus like I did, as there isn't one). The systems do not work properly and you are left to train yourself!
The building I work in is run down, mouse infested without adequate heating and light.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, low salary, poor working conditions
Worst company I've worked for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire20 August 2018
the only positive is the friendly co-workers who are easy to get along with and made some great mates there. everything else is a joke, the work is what it is. the management is disgusting the way staff are treated is disgusting everyone has some sort of power issues that makes them think they are more important than everyone else and gets off on dishing out authority. very corrupt management will back each other until the end even if it means costing people jobs.
Pros
good co-wrokers
Cons
So many
short contract
WELDER / RECORDER (Former Employee) –  mossed18 August 2018
only worked here for 9 months on a contract but found the work challenging as it was shift work

belonged to a team of 12 so your shift was always with the same team who I got on with .
Either extremely hard going or nothing going on at all.
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  All across site7 August 2018
Typical days depend on the area of the business. Some have routines and general maintenance tasks where others just wait around until something needs doing which can have several days of nothing in between. The most difficult part of the job is the conditions of 90% of the areas you work in. Ive heard from many contractors that visit that they are the worst conditions they've had to work in during their life as a contractor. Apart from that the people that you'll work with are all like minded and generally get on really well with each other.
Pros
Good chances for overtime
Cons
Bad working conditions
bloody ell
Locomotive Operator/Shunter (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe9 July 2018
why do we have to write this, i dont work there anymore, hence why i am looking for another job, i did not like working shifts, this also took over my life
Transitional business
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Skinningrove, North Yorkshire13 June 2018
Uncertain times ahead. Good company to work for, good salaries. Opportunity to progress up the ladder if you wish. As a shift worker I worked 12 hour shifts Sunday to Friday. I learned many skills such as fork lift truck driving, overhead crane driving to name a few. Holiday package is very good with 27 days per year(12 hours).
Pros
Opportunity to progress up the ladder
Cons
Uncertain times ahead
Shocking
HGV Class 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Managers have no idea on how to run and organise a business.
No one is treated with respect.
Totally shocking treatment of staff.

Decent quality steel products at a good price but that is all that good about the place.
Pros
Quality steel
Cons
Horible place to work
Heavy industry of the most interesting type
Landfill Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe4 June 2018
The role varies wildly, one day can be office based reviewing permits and looking at strategy for the landfills. The next can be site based, overseeing and assisting with installation of pumping equipment, or managing the import of 100,000tonnes of material. Rarely a dull day.

During my time, I've learned not only a lot about waste management but also about the steelmaking process.

Management can vary, mainly due to the size of the business and the size of the site. Over 4000 people on site, in excess of 10 standalone plants, with their own priorities and agenda. Management styles and types can vary from "old school" industry types who've been on site 40+ years, to fresh faced graduates full of new ideas and suggestions.

As with management styles, work place culture can vary. The sheer size of the business. A common theme is a focus on hard work, customer satisfaction and quality.

The hardest part of the job (for me) is learning when to switch off, or say "no". The site is 24hours a day, 365 days a year so if you are so inclined, can work night and day, trying to solve the worlds problems.

The most enjoyable part of the job (for me) is a mixture of 3 things:

1) sheer variety - I can spend a morning in overalls, with the guys on site, involved in a project that sees results and makes a difference. Then that afternoon be in meetings discussing long term aims and objectives.

2) Site size - with a site so physically vast, and running landfills and WM assets spread across it, just getting around site gives chance for a fascinating insight into many different
  more... sub-industries within the steelworks itself.

3) Learning - again, with my role gaining an increasing amount of duties, there's constant chance to learn and improve.
Pros
Flexible working. Large site with an array of experience to gain. Salary.
Cons
Slimline manning levels. Challenging site. Struggling industry.
Relaxed environment but with limited progression
Treasury Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe16 May 2018
The environment was relaxed and supportive which made for it to be an enjoyable experience. However, the lack of progression available was concerning and demotivating.

I personally didn't have much confidence in senior management.
Bad management
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands17 March 2018
Poorly run everyone else's fault but management. All managers band together and cover each others mistakes therefore leaving the staff below them to take blame for mistakes very unhappy workplace some good men in the factory but that's about it
Great apprentice Scheme
Electrical Eng Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Newport4 March 2018
Great place to learn and develop in skills associated with your role people friendly supportive. Opportunities to learn through external training also. Work interesting and varied
Excellent place to gain experience
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redcar, North Yorkshire28 February 2018
Teesside University Student; Having completed a 12 month placement at British Steel, as a junior project Engineer, I have gained the ability to work well with a cross functional team to achieve results and to determine the best approach on projects. Some of the skills particularly relevant in my project management experience includes:
• Co-ordinating projects in preparation and implementation of Project Execution Plan (PEP) and attending weekly progress meetings.
• Familiar with EIS 7 LOW VOLTAGE SAFETY RULES (1989 ACT).
• Commissioning and monitoring of smart sensors.
• Adhere to health and safety including identifying hazards and risks to personnel.
On a personal level I worked with very enthusiastic two senior project engineers who trained me to be a hard working. I have developed to be an individual who possesses excellent communication skills and can interact with a team capable of ensuring all technical tasks are performed in compliance with the business.
Pros
Gym
Technically stimulating environment
Principle Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Teesside11 January 2018
The R & D function of British Steel was involved with many international research projects and the input from this company was always highly respected on the international stage. Closer to home the company provided many projects for UK universities.
Pros
Very stimulating work
Cons
Interesting work that could take over ones life if not careful
Great job satisfaction
Overhead Crane Driver (Former Employee) –  Redcar and Cleveland, North Yorkshire7 January 2018
I enjoyed working 12 hour shifts and hitting productivity targets, I had opportunities to become first aid representative and health and safety representative.
The workforce pulled together in order to achieve targets and supported one another.
Pros
Good opportunties
Cons
Uncertaining over redundnacies
shift work
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot28 December 2017
varied from day to day covering holidays and sickness cover 8 hour shifts including night shifts and weekends good working relationships and learning to be part of a team
Cons
ten Years of time worked here
multi skilled operative (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire13 December 2017
Typical day a work was sometimes poorly run by the bad management too many people got payed for not doing any work too much money wasted as a Buisness then told at team briefs about the loss of money every week which was depressing to hear also the culture was not that bad just a typical workplace the hardest part was the shift work with quick dash back after six hours sleep.
Most enjoyable for me was undertaking new tasks and leading by example .
The best thing about the steel works was the safety was very good we had safety drilled into us at least three time a month sent on different safety courses frequently
Pros
Got paid lunch break
Cons
No set lunch time just when we had time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Steel. Our community is ready to answer.