British Steel Employee Reviews

Bad management
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands17 March 2018
Poorly run everyone else's fault but management. All managers band together and cover each others mistakes therefore leaving the staff below them to take blame for mistakes very unhappy workplace some good men in the factory but that's about it
Great apprentice Scheme
Electrical Eng Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Newport4 March 2018
Great place to learn and develop in skills associated with your role people friendly supportive. Opportunities to learn through external training also. Work interesting and varied
Excellent place to gain experience
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redcar, North Yorkshire28 February 2018
Teesside University Student; Having completed a 12 month placement at British Steel, as a junior project Engineer, I have gained the ability to work well with a cross functional team to achieve results and to determine the best approach on projects. Some of the skills particularly relevant in my project management experience includes:
• Co-ordinating projects in preparation and implementation of Project Execution Plan (PEP) and attending weekly progress meetings.
• Familiar with EIS 7 LOW VOLTAGE SAFETY RULES (1989 ACT).
• Commissioning and monitoring of smart sensors.
• Adhere to health and safety including identifying hazards and risks to personnel.
On a personal level I worked with very enthusiastic two senior project engineers who trained me to be a hard working. I have developed to be an individual who possesses excellent communication skills and can interact with a team capable of ensuring all technical tasks are performed in compliance with the business.
Pros
Gym
Technically stimulating environment
Principle Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Teesside11 January 2018
The R & D function of British Steel was involved with many international research projects and the input from this company was always highly respected on the international stage. Closer to home the company provided many projects for UK universities.
Pros
Very stimulating work
Cons
Interesting work that could take over ones life if not careful
Great job satisfaction
Overhead Crane Driver (Former Employee) –  Redcar and Cleveland, North Yorkshire7 January 2018
I enjoyed working 12 hour shifts and hitting productivity targets, I had opportunities to become first aid representative and health and safety representative.
The workforce pulled together in order to achieve targets and supported one another.
Pros
Good opportunties
Cons
Uncertaining over redundnacies
shift work
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot28 December 2017
varied from day to day covering holidays and sickness cover 8 hour shifts including night shifts and weekends good working relationships and learning to be part of a team
Cons
ten Years of time worked here
multi skilled operative (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire13 December 2017
Typical day a work was sometimes poorly run by the bad management too many people got payed for not doing any work too much money wasted as a Buisness then told at team briefs about the loss of money every week which was depressing to hear also the culture was not that bad just a typical workplace the hardest part was the shift work with quick dash back after six hours sleep.
Most enjoyable for me was undertaking new tasks and leading by example .
The best thing about the steel works was the safety was very good we had safety drilled into us at least three time a month sent on different safety courses frequently
Pros
Got paid lunch break
Cons
No set lunch time just when we had time
Excellent
Process Metallurgist (Former Employee) –  Newhouse24 November 2017
British steel was always challenged by a lack of investment in order to compete with the cheaper imports of their product. Significant reorganisation helped to overcome this.
Pros
Development
Productive workplace
College Student (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe3 November 2017
I enjoyed the work experience.I spent a week with the company during my college course it was a worth while opportunity. It gave me a taste of a large work place.
Overhead Crane Driver (Former Employee) –  Lackenby, North Yorkshire3 October 2017
British Steel was a well paid job, it was a dangerous job at the same time so that made you aware of the health and safety aspects. The camaraderie was healthy most times, it kept you active very busy, there was days when I liked it like that, it passed the time away nicely
Pros
18 days off every 7 weeks
Cons
Mmmm
Production Orientated
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 September 2017
Production orientated
Very safe
Top heavy in at Management level
Understaffed on work floor
Terrible logistic organization
Satisfaction achieving the impossible
Pros
Satisfaction achieving the impossible
Cons
Terrible logistic organization
lots of great friendships made
Fitter and Turner (Former Employee) –  Ebbw Vale5 September 2017
a good place to work with friends who made the work go quickly and various jobs to be done.
the hardest part of the job was the not knowing what you would find when you got to a machine breakdown ,the best part was fixing it.
Was a good olace to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe2 August 2017
Good opportunity for school leaverz
Hard work all changed now I was there in 1977 along time ago but was glad to have worked there it was a life time jobs
Pros
Wages
Cons
Non
Enjoyable place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bbm13 July 2017
There was no typical day at work as I worked on first line maintenance something broke down I repaired it .
What I did learn that each job had it's own pit falls we were also trained up doing welding, pipe fitting and plateing .a lot of the plant was hydraulics so you had to know what you were doing . Also learned o/h crane driving. B A was also involved as there was sometimes we worked on that also. The management were there to help and always had time to talk about any problems . The job came first and safety was always adhered too the hardest part of the job don't thing there were any perhaps trying to get on the job . And the most enjoyable part seeing all working again knowing you have done it right .
Pros
Good work colleague's
Cons
Taking all apart when you spent yrs repairing it
fun workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton13 May 2017
This was one of the best jobs, though l worked along on a 12hr shift at night.I was able to balance my college life and go to work at the same time.The management team were very supportive and so was the staff from the factory as well office.
Pros
good pay package
Cons
holiday
A great place to learn a craft.
Mechanical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, UK25 April 2017
I worked on the site for 32 years, 4 as an apprentice. The place was full of experienced people who I could learn from. A lot of the engineers were degree qualified who could be relied upon for any technical information.Although the work was hard at times, it was a good place to earn a living.
Production operator
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire13 February 2017
Working in the steel industry has been not just an awarding experience but satisfying as its enhanced my career prospects.
Good team working environment
Production trainee (Former Employee) –  Neath Port Talbot24 January 2017
The area enjoyed was working with people face to face on a day to day basis, and carrying out plant wide inductions and tours and introducing new people to the business
enjoyed my time there
Ground Worker (Former Employee) –  Workington8 December 2016
a very good company to work , good salary , learned new skills . co workers were very helpful , and every body worked together .
Starting out
Operations Leader - Shift/Day Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands & Port Yalbot16 November 2016
Great place to work - Friendly and rewarding - Respected from my piers - Only 20 individuals with different skill sets. Challenging environment with high expectation on a daily basis.
Pros
Good Christmas Party
Cons
Old fashioned machinery

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3