British Red Cross Employee Reviews

Varied experience
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 November 2019
Some of the exeperience was great however it was abit boring at times . I think the stores are different so In some larger stores you might have a better experience
Fast paced and productive
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull5 November 2019
Nice environment to work within, always something to do to be kept busy. The working day seemed to go really quick. Always enjoyed meeting new people and speaking to customers who visited often. Most colleagues were nice, others competitive.
Mixed Messages
HR Advsior (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire4 November 2019
The HR team at BRC are a committed and professional team. The organisation sometimes lacks these qualities. Much change is needed in the current financial environment and there is huge resistance among middle managers to those changes
Crisis Response Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 November 2019
Highly recommended place to work and fab people. Lots of opportunities on offer and training. Definitely consider if your looking for a charity that helps people in local communities and beyond.
Absolutely amazing
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester1 November 2019
Work with British Red Cross was absolutely amazing and relaxed.
Staff are kind professional and friendly.They respect clients and work hard for them..
Volunteering experience
Project Intern (Current Employee) –  Leeds31 October 2019
Very relaxed and very friendly. More than enough necessary training and very flexible with working hours. Had absolutely no issues with management. Minor issues with having to wait so long to start role due to management shift overs, don’t think it’s an accurate representation of what it’s usually like.
Sales Support Executive (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester31 October 2019
My role was busy and varied. The work life balance was excellent and the team of people I worked with were great. The Red Cross have great values in place to ensure the working environment stays positive.
Retail driver . Pushy management
Retail Van Driver / Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk30 October 2019
Pushy area manager
No respect for volunteers, when shops are full of donations . They rag everything. Or bin it , waste money on corporate meals
Fantastic place to work Inverness branch
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland28 October 2019
Loved my time at Red Cross in Home Care Inverness service
Supportive management and friendly staff always willing to help you
Rewarding job where you get to support people
Plenty of training opportunities
Worst place I’ve ever worked vile
Admin (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire27 October 2019
Most vile place I’ve ever worked
The pay is atrocious for the stress you get on a daily basis from the manager who micromanages everybody, Lies on a daily basis Makes up complaints about staff to try and get them to leave or find ways to sack them i was on the management team and was shocked about how staff are treatedalso had to seek therapy due to the stress and pressure I was put under if only the higher management knew what was going on
Fun place to work. Different every day.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penarth and Cardiff24 October 2019
Excellent place to work. Had lots of training courses. Learnt all about retail work. Gained a lot of knowledge with antiques. Typical day at work open shop at nine am. Get till set up with daily float. Organise clothes and brick a brac to be transferred to shop floor. Organise jobs for volunteers.
Good
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kirriemuir22 October 2019
Good place to learn you have different people coming in some times its the same faces which its good to know people and what they may be after if its not on the shop floor
I really enjoyed working here on a scale 1-10 10 being the highest I would rate it 10!
SALES ASSISTANT • TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Handsworth20 October 2019
As an volunteer I highly recommend someone that needs to gain experience in retail or customer service works here because I felt like my confidence has boosted and such as many more skills have grown throughout my experience at redcross really enjoyed it!:)
Fast paced, yet friendly and respectful
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Woking, Surrey18 October 2019
Working with asylum seekers, refugees both at the Portsmouth Hub and in the Surrey (Woking) and Hampshire (Liss) locations was challenging at times, especially dealing with newly arrived Syrian refugees (resettled in the UK based on UNHCR vulnerability criteria). However all teams were supportive which helped.
Pros
Excellent relations with local church befriending groups.
Cons
Logistics and the use of interpreters sometimes slowed things down
Bad Managment
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland15 October 2019
Large gaps between clients so its unpaid.Told you'll be reimbursed for your transport and are given 3/4 of it back. Made to feel uneasy in the office.
Not that Great
Event First Aider (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom9 October 2019
I chose to work for this company after it was recommended to me as it would help build my First Aid knowledge.

I got into the role I did by completing a well organised recruitment process however it took ages for the ID card to arrive and for the uniform to even be ordered. I never had a clue what was going on no matter how many emails were sent and questions asked.
fun working work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex8 October 2019
stuff are friendly. All get on so well and help each other out when needed. There is always thigs to do from tills and sorting out the clothes to making sure the store is clean and tidy. The hardest part was always been on your feet but that like any other jobs so would that bad once your use to it
Experience Building
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymstock, Devon8 October 2019
I was a volunteer at British Red Cross to gain experience in the work place, become more comfortable talking to members of the public so that I would have some experience on my CV to gain a job. I feel that the experience was a good one overall, and that I did gain experience.
Really nice
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  stoke, stoke on trent3 October 2019
Really nice and friendly. Priced clothes, sorted stock and put stock out. Enjoyed all of the day whilst I was there. I did not find any hard parts to the volunteering.
I discovered a new lease of life
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Workington1 October 2019
This was only voluntarily. But l gained a lot from this. I learnt a lot in retail employment. I got a new lease of life working here. Learnt about customer relations, stock taking, using the till. Shop floor, and being in control, getting in a routine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2