British Red Cross Employee Reviews

Education Team
Bus Support Mngr / EA to UK Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Merseyside23 April 2018
the education team are an engaging professional team of people.
The society does amazing things to assist people across the UK. Education works with training people in first aid to enable them to help in a crisis.
We also work with people in crisis, we work with drug and alcoholism and homeless people. We also work in schools to help educate the future generation.
The culture within education is empowering as we engage with everyone and always encourage people to share their thoughts to work as a team.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
long hours sometimes
fun work place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 April 2018
I learnt good customer service skills and improved my communication skills. my typical day at work was busy but other times it was quiet at the busy times I enjoyed the most. the hardest part of my job was operating the till. I enjoyed keeping busy and putting new stock out
Pros
helping customers
Cons
Worked at BRC through an agency
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Paisley9 April 2018
Enjoyed the location and staff, although there via an agency until end of contract.

Undertook Queries and statement reconciliations.
Chased copy invoices for payment
decent wee place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross4 April 2018
it was alright like only went there 2 hours a week not too much to say just a standard run of the mill charity shop, overpriced gear for anything that has a genuine value but not bad at all for anyone looking for some experience in retail, very well run shop .
Productive, and a good team to be part of.
Sales and Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland18 March 2018
I enjoy working voluntary for the British Red Cross. Good staff to work with, who look after their voluntary staff. I am looking for a permanent , part time work, if I received work that would be the reason why I would leave.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Only Voluntary work available for me.
Users! money grabbers
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil13 March 2018
The British Red Cross used me for 2 years with the promise of a job when it came up, the job was given to an outside that never had an interview.. Not trust Worthy at all. Also the promise permanent jobs and they are not, only temporary.
Pros
A productive workplace but pretty dead end
Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire12 March 2018
Volunteer and unpaid, there's not really many places you can go without being a manager. it heavily depends on where your store is located for how your experience will be - due to the remoteness of my location it was a fairly relaxed work environment but i suspect that may differ in a larger city
A rewarding experience
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  East London9 March 2018
If you want to help, make valuable and innovative colleagues, have insights on what BRC does and feeling a part of the progress you see in the world and in England this is the place to be.
Pros
Rewarding conversations
Cons
unpaid lunches
Retail Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Orpington5 March 2018
I really enjoy working for the Bristish Red Cross and being able to help customers. They helped me obtain my NVQ which I can now use to progress, using my knowledge and the skills I have learnt
Cons
Really nice people and friend customers
Educational and an enjoyable work environment
Volunteer IG Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  London3 March 2018
I have learnt about the technical side of the IT network life and how many courses that can be taken in order to secure a good job in the IT industry. The different assignments that can be given as well as the different job opportunities that exist in the IT industry. I also learnt a brief explanation on the type of knowledge that is needed for a job in the IT industry.
The work place was a nice relaxed and peaceful atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall24 February 2018
Learnt new life skills as wells as new customer service experience Also It help me manage time. Also I found reflecting on your self helps with learning new skills
Pros
New skills
Cons
To short of a break
very nice personallity, fun to be with.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire22 February 2018
Willing to work hard in an controlled environment, are a decent, well manered, very trustworthy person, clean and smart and punctual in attendence at work.
Pros
bus fares
Cons
night time work
Full time support staff
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scotland20 February 2018
Organisation is set on great principles and they preach these when it matters but don't expect staff to be treat fair. Management have own agenda and take praise for others work very offer then belittle you when around others.
Pros
Great annual leave
Cons
Long hour and toil promised but never paid.
A good starting point
Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eltham, Greater London18 February 2018
My main duties would be taking in donations, sorting stock, display merchandising, steaming clothes and serving customers on the till.

I learned how to use a till, how to deal with donated goods, how to gift aid and put stock out.

I volunteered here for just almost 2 years. The people were very nice here and friendly as were the managers. I was very lucky to start out here as the managers are friendly and helpful which makes them very nice to work with.

There wasn't really anything to hard about the job actually. Which was good, just being new to begin with is a little hard but you soon settle in and get used to things and how they work.

Only downfall was obviosuly not getting payed (especially when you are in need of a payed role) and having no progression. No future position to progress to it seems unless you are a payed staff. But bare in mind it is a good place to start out, gain some experience and interact with others.

Most enjoyable part would be working with nice people, mainly the managers as they are helpful.
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
No pay and no future roll
very friendly inviroment
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harwich15 February 2018
I really enjoyed working at the British red cross, the staff were very polite and professional! definitely something I would participate in again! manager was friendly and made me feel welcome. is a shame the store had to close down.
really great place to volunteer, greatr atmosphere
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitley Bay9 February 2018
volunteering at the British red cross is a really rewarding time and poses lots of opportunity, since joining the shop as a volunteer i have signed on to join get my first aid certification and also joined a sign language course, which is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
travel expense are paid for you
Fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Marple, Greater Manchester6 February 2018
The Red Cross is a fantastic organisation and it makes you feel good knowing your helping, they get a flow of customers with buying or donating and I throughly enjoy having a chat with them, if I didn't need money I work work there full time after leaving college.
Pros
Feel good factor
Cons
No money
Fun Helpful Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Durham6 February 2018
I feel really honoured to be a Volunteer for the Red Cross and loved every minute of it!

It was great meeting all the volunteers and making some new friends in a work environment, I would love to do it again if i ever get the time.
Pros
Feel Good Factor
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire31 January 2018
volunteerin at the red cross has given me the confedence to get back into the working environment again evry working day is different. you can be serving on the till one minute and re organising the window display the next, sorting out donated stock to tagging clothes for the store. every one is friendly and upbeat including the managment.
Pros
hours to suit me
Productive fun place to work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plympton30 January 2018
The days would vary depending who's in at the time. I would be on the till or steaming one day and then cleaning and tidying the shop another. The managers are fun to be around and they talk to you whilst you're working. I have learned that if you work hard you can achieve anything. The hardest part of the job is taking the out of date clothes off the racks and trying to replace them as fast as you can. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and working with people you enjoy working with. The easiest part of the job is standing by the till and serving people but doing the give and gain I don't enjoy very much cause it's hard work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
working with people you don't really like

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3