British Museum Employee Reviews

Good
Catering Staff Member (Former Employee) –  London22 September 2019
Good place to work and friendly people to work with
I'm enthusiast of this experience
I always improve myself thanks to this job and I like a lot working there
One of the best Jobs I had
Information & Ticketing Team Supervisor (Systems) (Former Employee) –  London21 June 2019
I always went to the museum as a child, and then eventually when I was 21 managed to get a job there, It was the best 9 years of my working life so far.

I started from a gallery assistant and worked my way up, eventually moving to the Information & Ticketing Team. I was given lots of professional support, which enabled me to be promoted within that team.

The job had its challenges of course, managing a large team in a busy environment does. However I really did feel like I was making a difference, even in the hard times. My team and managers were like a family, and everyone supported each other.
Pros
London waiting, good rotas, family team enviroment
my work at British museum
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Great Russell St, Bloomsbury17 June 2019
it is nice place to work and i met different people from allover the world, i have learned lot like meeting people with different culture. the hardest part is communication and understanding other people language and how to work. .
Pros
not free lunch
Cons
i am working 12 hours
Do not be fooled
visitor services (Former Employee) –  visitor services9 May 2019
Everything is great about this company if you are on the right shift.
The bad shift is run by a really nasty piece of work and the jobs you see here are on his team.
Don't say I didn't warn you
Pros
uniform
Cons
bullying
Great Place To Work
Helping to train new staff (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London12 February 2019
The British Musem is a really great place to work. Everyone is friendly and helps each other out and the management was nice. Great opportunity to work in such a caring place.
Challenging
Visitor Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 February 2019
A challenging workplace, despite the wonderful and breathtaking collection of artefacts. The working culture is very rigid and there's very little space to progress.
Fascinating and world renowned place to work
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  The British Museum. London18 December 2018
My working experiences at the British Museum have provided me with a wealth of knowledge within both the curatorial and administrative area. My daily work is very varied and no 2 days are exactly the same. I have managed a team of administrators for the past 13 years and i feel that my managerial skills have helped me create a cohesive administrative team providing essential support where needed. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the job would be seeing the end results of our work and the way in which we, as a team, have been able to provide support to the wider departmental staff and helping to reach goals and objectives.
Pros
working in an exciting environment
Cons
none really
Good for learning, great experience, lacks progression.
IT (Current Employee) –  London10 December 2018
The BM is a great place to move if you want to find a good bridge to the private sector. Employers like it on your CV,and there are plenty of skills to be learnt there.

They consciously underpay market value (although I can't blame them as they can't afford to pay more) but they attempt to give you more benefits.

The Museum is filled with great people and it's definitely a fun and interesting place to work, but progression is rare.
Pros
subsidized lunch, interesting
Cons
Poor management, under-pay
eye opener
security warder (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2018
incredible place to work great staff and a good canteen highly proficient and reliable staff great work colleagues .......................................................
Pros
canteen
Cons
shift work
British Museum
Archaeological Interpreter & Guide (Former Employee) –  London25 August 2018
Going to visit referent part of archaeological sites in the UK was very enjoyable part of my job, learning about the sites and their running in details was a privilege and a learning curve for me.
My managers were wonderful people who I love and admire to this day.
Nothing was hard about this job it was doing something I love.
Meeting new people from all over the world
Pros
every acpect of the work
Cons
nothing
Productive Workplace
Donations Assistant (Current Employee) –  London12 August 2018
Assisting visitors with general information of the museum and offering to make a donation towards the work and research of the museum with a fun and positive manner.
ok place but management is bad
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 June 2018
poor management from control room to manager had 4 different managers in the space of 6 months whether there was something going on internal and we never got to meet or speak to managers if we had problems
Pros
hours
Cons
bad management
A good experience
Exibhition Assistant (Former Employee) –  London4 May 2018
Work experience entailed the organisation of an exhibition on Celts
allows the opportunity to get a taste of what its like to work in the heart of London.
Ambiente de trabajo divertido y compañeros de todas las culturas
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Londres21 March 2018
En este trabajo fue muchisimo más formal a la hora de trabajar atención al cliente ya que cada día atendía acerca de casi 100000b personas,ya que la entrada al British Museum es una de las cosas gratis y más maravillosas que tiene Londres
Pros
Continuo movimiento de una sección a otra del departamento de cafes a tienda de regalos
Cons
El descanso era en la misma área donde estaba en continuo tráfico de clientes
Heart of London
Junior Historian (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 March 2018
Amazing job with incredible teams, the only fault is that I would love more job roles to be available. More roles to progress into senior management would help.
Pros
Heart of london
Lovely atmosphere - great colleagues
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater London16 September 2017
The British Museum is a great place to work but but the opportunities for advancement and promotion are not that many. The culture is fantastic, many lovely people work here and the collection is one of the best in the World
Pros
Subsidized lunch, generous holiday scheme, flexible hours, mentoring programmes
Cons
Not many career progression opportunities for middle-level managers
retail department at the British Museum
Retail Department (Former Employee) –  Greater London9 September 2017
It was full of fun time for me because of interesting co workers.
Many of them have different cultural backgroud and speak several different languages.
Prehistory and Europe, Registrar Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 August 2017
At the British museum I worked for the Registar . I sorted in categories, weighted and stored objects which arrived from excavation sites.
The hardest part of the work was that it demanded meticulous attention to detail. The most rewarding aspect was that as a job enabled me to talk to very interesting people and learn more about the collections of the museum.
I loved working for museums because they offer a framework to develop academically.
Pros
free entry to exhibitions
Super month!
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 July 2017
I spent a month here learning all about the ins-and-outs of museum work. It was hard work - especially the long commute to London and home every day - moving objects, checking and updating databases, and organising files. I decided that museum work is not for me but it was a great experience nonetheless!
The British Museum taught me so much
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 April 2017
Day after day i learned how to manage a lot of different situations such as a dissatisfied customer, refund, exchange but also how to be a problem solving and a decision making person.
The British Museum is an amazing place where to work: the team is great and the management too.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working together for common goals, give the best experience to the customer and increase the sales a bit everyday.
In my opinion the most challenging part is the ability to
meet deadlines in this fast paced environment.