British Museum

British Museum Employee Reviews

United Kingdom51 reviews
Great place to work for learning about different cultures, great DSM is supportive and will go the extra mile for their staff. Learn something new everyday
Pros
Great manager, good team
Cons
salary could be a little higher
My job before I m military officer I like to work this job
I lost my job I need to work

I what this lovely job I liked I need to help this is confidental informcia
Cons
Full security of the premises, Access control, Customer services, Administration, Site patrol, CCTV Monitoring, Tourist Engagements, Case work, Site Management.
Excellent place to demonstrate your skills and experience among many academics who can be challenging, however diligent in an environment to get the best results working in high performance teams who deeply care about the museum’s reputation as a leader for all worldwide museum activities.
I enjoyed working in the museum, it just got very repetitive, same menus nothing really changed.the staff are abit rude but that's normal in kitchens I guess.
As above, During my period at the museum I have been exposed and witnessed a culture of racism, bullying, discrimination and harassment. Management is incompetent and non existent, Health and Safety standards are appalling and there is no sound reporting hazards,crime etc
Ok if you can get your head down for about 4 hours a night. Good at Christmas and New year watching tv. Not too worried about uniform appearance aslong as you turn up. Free carparking
An amazing place to build visitor service experience. Fun workplace. A great bunch of people you get the opportunity to work with as a team. I learnt the importance of security and also the importance of working together/being a leader. Being able to help visitors and also have the chance to discuss art with them was great because it was personal, allowing your visitor experience skills to really shine.
Personally, the commute was a challenge, particularly in terms of expense for trains.
You have to be able to be a good team member.
You also have to interact with the public.

You have to be patient and friendly and very alert as you also looking after the artefacts on the gallery.
The British Museum is a good place to learn more about history and culture. As well as customer services a good knowledge of the collections is extremely helpful for your own knowledge as well as being able to help a range of visitors from tourists to school children.
Pros
one hour lunch break
Cons
six day working wooks
Good place to work and friendly people to work with
I'm enthusiast of this experience

I always improve myself thanks to this job and I like a lot working there
I always went to the museum as a child, and then eventually when I was 21 managed to get a job there, It was the best 9 years of my working life so far.

I started from a gallery assistant and worked my way up, eventually moving to the Information & Ticketing Team. I was given lots of professional support, which enabled me to be promoted within that team.

The job had its challenges of course, managing a large team in a busy environment does. However I really did feel like I was making a difference, even in the hard times. My team and managers were like a family, and everyone supported each other.
Pros
London waiting, good rotas, family team enviroment
it is nice place to work and i met different people from allover the world, i have learned lot like meeting people with different culture. the hardest part is communication and understanding other people language and how to work. .
Pros
not free lunch
Cons
i am working 12 hours
Everything is great about this company if you are on the right shift.
The bad shift is run by a really nasty piece of work and the jobs you see here are on his team.

Don't say I didn't warn you
Pros
uniform
Cons
bullying
The British Musem is a really great place to work. Everyone is friendly and helps each other out and the management was nice. Great opportunity to work in such a caring place.
A challenging workplace, despite the wonderful and breathtaking collection of artefacts. The working culture is very rigid and there's very little space to progress.
My working experiences at the British Museum have provided me with a wealth of knowledge within both the curatorial and administrative area. My daily work is very varied and no 2 days are exactly the same. I have managed a team of administrators for the past 13 years and i feel that my managerial skills have helped me create a cohesive administrative team providing essential support where needed. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the job would be seeing the end results of our work and the way in which we, as a team, have been able to provide support to the wider departmental staff and helping to reach goals and objectives.
Pros
working in an exciting environment
Cons
none really
The BM is a great place to move if you want to find a good bridge to the private sector. Employers like it on your CV,and there are plenty of skills to be learnt there.

They consciously underpay market value (although I can't blame them as they can't afford to pay more) but they attempt to give you more benefits.

The Museum is filled with great people and it's definitely a fun and interesting place to work, but progression is rare.
Pros
subsidized lunch, interesting
Cons
Poor management, under-pay
incredible place to work great staff and a good canteen highly proficient and reliable staff great work colleagues .......................................................
Pros
canteen
Cons
shift work
Going to visit referent part of archaeological sites in the UK was very enjoyable part of my job, learning about the sites and their running in details was a privilege and a learning curve for me.
My managers were wonderful people who I love and admire to this day.

Nothing was hard about this job it was doing something I love.

Meeting new people from all over the world
Pros
every acpect of the work
Cons
nothing
Assisting visitors with general information of the museum and offering to make a donation towards the work and research of the museum with a fun and positive manner.