British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews

fun friendly place
Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Haverhill17 April 2018
when i volunteered the staff there was very friendly and if i had any inquires they would help as best as they could and made me feel comfortable there. i had to make sure the shop floor was clean and had a smile on my face for the customers and take in the donations to be sorted out.
would not recomend
Assistant shop manager (Former Employee) –  Waltham Cross, Essex16 April 2018
unappreciated and under paid for the amount of work expected of you
would not like to work for another charity
manager lazy making my job hard
to satisfy the area manager
volunteers
relaxing place to be
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Bootle, Merseyside16 April 2018
Being a volunteer here was nice easy environment, i would stock the book shelves, dvd's, cd an vinyls on the shop floor an the stock room and serve every now and then.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
no many payed positions
a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenock13 April 2018
your day was busy some of the time

management kept you busy

the hardest part of the was the heavy lifting

the people was great to work with, and a fun pklace to work
Rewarding but hard
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands13 April 2018
Whilst on a day to day basis the job is great fun and very rewarding, the upper levels of management are both overpaid and lacking in people skills. There is a general attitude of 'all about profit, no care for the people' with a distinct Us and Them line between the senior management and stores. You'd expect a charity retailer to be more grateful for what their paid and unpaid staff do but they are more concerned about targets and making shops look like high end stores, not charity. But then, when they spend £4million a year on Area Managers it's not a surprise. I loved my time there because of my team and the donors, the networking to get stock and the customers but would never work for them again and can't even bring myself to donate due to the way senior managers treat their teams.
Pros
Cons
five roles combined into one with no financial recompense
Great Company to work for
Food Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 April 2018
Designing Healthy Heart recipes and teaching healthier lifestyle choices within a wide expanse of secondary schools within the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Pros
Flexible hours
Door Steward
Door Steward, PT (Former Employee) –  Govan, Glasgow.11 April 2018
Most of the time, I stood at the front door and opened the door for customers whilst saying "Hello, sir/madam!" My natural social skills makes me adept at this. What I really learned was learning to stand on my feet for several hours non-stop. I also did other duties like receiving donations, customer assistance and giving advice on various books, due to good general knowledge of books. I also did cleaning and stock rotation. I got on well with everybody, being friendly and sociable. My workplace culture at this stage of my life did not exist yet. The hardest part was the long standing but the most enjoyable part was greeting customers and helping them.
Pros
Free teas
Cons
Sometimes it was not busy.
great volunteers
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  England11 April 2018
Great place to work just the whole company could be a lot better if they managed to get more cover for days off instead of letting management do weeks straight without any days off
Pros
free tea/coffee and biscuits
Cons
long hours/no cover
Great experience
Volunteer- Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 April 2018
Everybody was really nie who I worked with and it was a good way for me personally to ease into the workplace without it being too demaning as I was 16 when I was volunteering. Great place to work as a volunteer and employee.
It was a disorganised experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Southend6 April 2018
As a volunteer, my roles consisted of mainly moving stocks. But the way they actually achieved this was rather unsafe. There was no stock room and no lifts to carry big wardrobe. Everything has to be carried down a narrow flight of stairs. The people were friendly and taught me something that I could apply to other jobs.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire6 April 2018
Great place to work in obviously this is where I first started so I learned a lot from here the. Work was great the staff were really friendly and amazing the work was really good and I learned a lot also flexible hours too
Pros
No free lunches
Productive and relaxed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire4 April 2018
Very flexible, and supportive team of individuals. How busy it is depends on the day of the week and there is usually always someone around to help if you ever need it.
Friendly and helpful team
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa4 April 2018
Keeping the place clean tidy inviting and advising people on their purchases.

Steaming the clothes to be displayed and sorting them on the shop floor
Pros
Good fun
volunteer
Volunteer/Work (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 April 2018
Cant really say much one this company as was work experience through the job center seemed decent people seemed okay there and management was okay too.
Boring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 April 2018
Boring but pleasant enough.
The lady was very nice but wasn't very good at explaining what I should be doing. Only volunteered for 3 days because it was so dull.
good workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 April 2018
All the staff were very helpful and made me feel comfortable straight away. This led me to be more determined on finishing tasks and getting on with other things.
Pros
very helpful staff
Cons
was only volunteering
Fun, enjoyable, Great environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  24 Castle Street2 April 2018
My experience in the British Heart Foundation was amazing. Even though I was only there for one week, it was still the best week I've had working anywhere. I'd love to work in places that have the same type of working environment because it brings the whole team together and it creates something special to be shared to the people whom enter the store.
Pros
Friendly, great communication between staff, always a helping hand and they welcome anyone to volunteer
Cons
The only con that I'd have is that it isn't a job that you could take on for full time work.
A good insight to working with customers
Volunteer customer services assistant (Former Employee) –  Gillingham2 April 2018
This was my first job within the customer service field, though it was voluntary, it opened my eyes to all the hard work that goes on behind the shop floor. I was lucky to have a good team that would help me gain, and expand my knowledge, but also develop my skills as a team member.
Pros
Great team
volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Motherwell29 March 2018
It might be a long day when you volunteer in any place of work, but my time at the British Heart Foundation is one that i enjoyed. There was opportunities to develop better communication skills and the charity itself is a wonderful cause to be apart of. The management team were passionate about their charity and made sure every worker was valued.
Pros
customers were delightful
great lively place
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  london29 March 2018
Always very welcoming. Flexible hours. Very friendly management. Job includes restocking shelves, tidying shop floor and putting items on sale. The most enjoyable part is that you are working for a great charity and saving lives.
Pros
Working for a good cause/charity
Cons
small shop/working space

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Heart Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K