British Council

British Council Employee Reviews

Without question the most challenging environment I have ever worked in; however, it is also the environment that taught me the most. The experience I gained working with technical PM's, Business Analyst, System Architects and product owners etcetera was and is immeasurable in terms of my career progression.
Don’t take a job at British Council. There’s no job security. Nobody works hard. Awful atmosphere. Lots politic gossip. Turnover rate is very high but HR doesn't do anything.
Good environment, and unExperienced management, low salary, and no progress. There was a lot of gray area, which is known by the higher management but they do not do any effort to resolve it.
I worked for The British Council in Leeds from 1991-2001 and one of the best jobs I have had. I left for pastures new but have never found an employer as good. I learned so much ie how international scholarships work, how Britain promotes itself overseas, office management and accounts. I also met some great people (still in touch) had opportunities, training, well paid (for when I was young), support and loads of experience! The last 5 years were very interesting as a Regional Support Officer for overseas students in the UK on Scholarships, ,,,I could go on,, but if you get a chance to work there, do!
Pros
Meeting people from overseas and UK, opportunities, staff support
It was a greet opportunity from the British council to work with them. Learned a lot of new ways dealing with different customers, dealing with difficult and stressful situations, The hardest part of the job was when you cant help the customers because of their personal circumstances. The most enjoyable is when you see people happy and satisfied from what you provide for them.
As long as you know your job role, you can put your head down and just get on with your work. I was thrown in the deep end as they were very short staffed and picked up majority of things within 3 days. Management aren't the greatest. Some managers are only happy to dictate and have power over you. Hardest part of the job is an uncomfortable working environment. Most enjoyable part of the job is being helpful and working with good colleagues.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
I worked 10 hours a day and worked 2/3 different jobs as staff left.
Great company which does so much for young students to gain experience of foreign countries and cultures. I loved the company and loved meeting other students who did the same experience.
When I was there it was in the middle of redundancy roll out so there was alot of disgruntled employees. There was those that wanted it and didn't get it and those that didn't want redundancy but got it. The management had lots of meetings but not much resolution to the issues at hand. A great place to work, but not much opportunity for progression. There was however many people that had been there for many many years. The technical systems was outdated.
I had the best job there and really enjoyed working with diverse team and colleagues who are passionate about what they did. The job is full of opportunities for growth and travel which is a great bonus.
You get to meet people across many nationalities and walks of life. Many of them travelling out of the country in search of new professional experience or going to meet family members already relocated.
Pros
Beautiful.
Cons
Time taking, standing a lot.
I am so grateful to the British Council. My teaching experience as a French assistant has been fulfilling thanks to the placement they afforded me at Clevedon School.
The work was great, getting payed for pretty little work. However, you think that british council would be able to afford better equipment. Everything we where given was minimal, non-existant or just falling apart. Even when we would complain, nothing would be funded or done.
Pros
paid lunches and breaks.
Cons
A place where staff are always in a meeting, your manager is abroad. A place where staff were headphones, earphones and rarely speak. Work very interesting.
Pros
Coffee, tea, cakes and work updates once per month
Cons
Luego entonces, no resulta sorprendente haber encontrado en un estudio clinico que en las personas con EHH los hechos negativos o el estres tengan mayores repercusiones fisiologicas que las que tienen habilidades moderadas o bajas (Dominguez, Martinez, Hernandez y cols. En contraste con las personas con EHH, se conocen menos las caracteristicas de los sujetos con BHH, a excepcion de su carencia de vocabulario emocional para reconocer y describir sus sentimientos, que es un factor importante dentro de un modelo de inteligencia emocional con poblaciones clinicamente sanas y afectadas en su salud, y que ademas es susceptible de ser modificado con intervenciones psicologicas no invasivas de corto plazo (Cortes, Cruz, Dominguez y cols. Se ha encontrado que la activacion simpatica (por ejemplo la reactividad electrodermica) de los pacientes con BHH que sufren dolor cronico es menor que la reactividad que exhiben las personas con EHH durante el estres cognitivo (Wickramasekera y Kenkel, 1996), lo cual sugiere una respuesta disminuida de huida o ataque.
Invigilating is a good way for extra income or between jobs. It is easy to get work with them and the supervisor and management are very friendly and encouraging.
Working on the computer using various applications to input data, organise meetings and assist staff. Various duties as required using excel, outlook and databases.
Pros
Work was always busy
The work of the British Council is very varied and there is opportunity to work on interesting projects and in a variety of locations. The current climate of the British Council is not ideal, however, as there are extreme pressures on finance and resource. Pay is low compared to market norms and perks are few.
A good place to work, importance is given to work-life balance. Credit control was the enjoyable part of the job. Location of the office is very convenient.
Teach students general English and Cambridge University exam preparation. Including business and commerce IELTS proficiency and other examinations. Whether it be for further education or advancement in career .
Pros
Working with top professionals
Cons
The British Council are a dynamic and socially progressive company who do amazing work around the work. My work at the British Council has involved working for the Active Citizens programme and the Premier Skills programme. My work for the British Council has taken me to Myanmar, Bangladesh, Uganda and across the UK, where i have helped to document the work they do.
Made some good friends who were helpful and knowledgeable. Loved getting up and going to work cos every day was different ...........................