British Army Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 473 reviews matching the search See all 2,905 reviews
Great chance to travel
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison6 March 2019
There is a great chance to travel around the world and do things people normally do not get to do. You get to meet alot of amazing people who become friends for life
Pros
Travel
Cons
Long Hours
Rewarding, although repetitive when not on operations
Section Commander (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire25 February 2019
Good career aspects and opportunities with good salary and benefits. Career progression is good.
Exciting job when on tour, however while in the UK, the job is repetitive .
Pros
Career progression, security, benefits
Cons
Repetitive, micro managed by superiors
Fantastic experience
Captain (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh19 February 2019
A superb organisation to work for, really good team spirit. Good pay and holidays, loved every minute of it and wish I was still there. Would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Pay, hours, experience, atmosphere
Cons
Nothing.
good place to work
Logistic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Preston12 February 2019
good for qualifications if your looking for some place to better yourself this is definitely the place to be. work hours can be long but and you might be away a lot of the time but the pros definitely outweigh the cons
Best time of my life
Combat Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire12 February 2019
I loved my time in the army and would recommend the life to any youngster leaving school.

I learnt so much and helped so many people in my time in the army. I enjoyed military life so much that I re-joined the armed forces after leaving to search for a new challenge and new opportunities for travel.

I still have friends from the army I see regularly. I was paid well and enjoyed my work.
Pros
Good social life, good salary, subsidized accommodation
Cons
Bad work life balance
Great opportunities if you take them
Radio Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  UK and Germany7 February 2019
It be be a job you love or hate, plenty of perks including ample time off generous pension and pay after some time of service, opportunity for travel and adventure.
Downsides are the it can be diffacult to have a life outside of the army especially if you are posted over seas and management can often be bad or uncompromising. You time off is normally dictated to you with little choice and you can be expected to work whenever required.
It is as they say what you make of it as there are plenty of opportunities if sought out.
Pros
Opportunity for travel, fair pay after a few years service good pension
Cons
Bad management, low job satisfaction, your life outside of the army will suffer
Productive and fast paced
Draughtsman (Former Employee) –  brookwood, UK24 January 2019
learnt many practical skills in the army that i will adhere to for life. You are always on your feet and busy following an order/ training. I loved the organisation and discipline that i learnt as it will set me up for the future.
Pros
many benefits
Cons
very long work hours
strenuous
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Leuchars22 January 2019
it was very hard in many aspects such as being deployed multiple times within a year but the good parts were getting abroad when the work load was easing off
Army life is secure, but a very different way of living.
Driver and Supplier (Current Employee) –  Leuchars, Fife20 January 2019
Have completed my time and am looking for new challenges. As I have now gained a lot of skilled from serving I would like to now put them to good use and help me in anoyher job.
Pros
Steady and garenteed salary
Cons
Bad management.
The rewards you receive are measurable to the effort you put in.
Operational Support Officer (Current Employee) –  UK20 January 2019
Being in the Army is hard work. Sometimes long hours, sometimes difficult decisions to be made and sometimes you don’t get to have a decision at all. You must be a self motivator, you must have a sense of humour and you must be prepared to put in some hard graft if you want to develop yourself professionally and personally. However, there are few places who will pay you to learn, provide you with friends for life, encourage you, support you and provide you with a home, free healthcare and who will worry about your family when you can not. It’s a lifestyle, not a 9-5 job. You will have moments of frustration, despair and melancholy, but you will also have moments of pride, enthusiasm, excitement and elation. For the right person, with the right mindset, the British Army could be your best move ever.
Pros
Great benefits package, good salary, accommodation, free training
Cons
Spending time away from family, working from 40-168hrs a week at the same pay
Great social life and strong work ethics.
Lance Corporal (Former Employee) –  Germany, Catterick, Tidworth, Canada16 January 2019
Great social culture, but be prepared for a "who has got the biggest dick" contest. plenty of leave and the cost of living is minimal. decent wages for what you do and plenty of opportunities to travel the world and play sport.
productive
Royal Engineer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom9 January 2019
Hardwork, long hours, low pay, exciting opportunities, alright company to work for, pays on time, enough hours given. Good management, honest and trustworthy
great opppertuinities if you work for them
Corporal (Former Employee) –  uk3 January 2019
The Army is exactly what you sign up for, and after 10 years of the same thing everyday they almost force you to leave. You get out what you put in. however dont expect what you see in the movies as it iscompletely not that more like a factory role.
Pros
good pay and alot of living expense is paid for.
Cons
long hours and snap deployments
very good workplace
Driver Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex2 January 2019
i worked for the army as a driver radio specialist and within my time working for the army it was a real inspiring place to work for they help you out enormously
Pros
the work hours the breaks
Cons
very underpaid for the jobs the soldiers do
Is what it is
Communication Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire31 December 2018
Is what it is always going to be hard at times. You know what your signing up to. even tho i managed 6 years i would always go back and do it again. Made me the person i am today.
Pros
Free accommodation, Meet some of your best pals.
Cons
Long hours. Can pay the ultimate sacrifice.
Good wage and chance of promotion
Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire22 December 2018
A career that would in my opinion suite a single soldier rsther than one with a family as your away alot and can be for long periods of time. Definitely worth a go but your tied In for 4 years minimum.
Pros
Free Dental care, good wage, cheap accommodation.
Cons
Long periods away, Moving around alot.
Good employer with lots of benefits
Senior Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Nuneaton8 December 2018
Having spent 22 years working with the British Army I found them to be a good employer that generally look after there staff and have plenty of pension benefits.
Great experience
System Operator in Royal Signals (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire3 December 2018
The best place to gain life experience and friends. money is not the best but the expenses are very less and help you towards saving. you get lots of free time to develop yourself if you wish to.
Great place to make friends and travel the world.
Human Resources Specialist (Administrator) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire27 November 2018
I did only 6 years in service and Human Resource Administrator and i have mixed of both ends. Sometimes you think it was the best place to be and sometimes you wish you were there. You will make life long friends and will travel the world. Salary is poor for the service soldiers provide but you will get lot of subsides on housing.
Pros
Travel the world and lot of time off. Long weekends very often sport afternoon on Wednesdays.
Cons
Low salary, stressful sometimes and being on endless exercises depriving your family from stability.
Good if not a Single Parent
Movement Controller (Current Employee) –  Cirencester, Gloucestershire27 November 2018
I have been working here since 2010 and enjoyed everything about the Military. Then the pensions were changed, financial incentives were cut, pay was frozen and demand increased upon troop, especially within my chosen trade. When I became a single parent my needs to be with my 2 year old daughter were not met or catered for as I was told time and again to not get my daughter back and I am unemployable within this organisation.
Pros
Good for Travel
Cons
Not great for a family environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2