British Army Employee Reviews

same old things need to teach more
Driver (Current Employee) –  Essex20 June 2018
British Army need to do alot more with their soldiers because they are just sitting about all day doing nothing at all maybe a first parade on a SV and then thats all their is to do so they should plan something for us to do or educate us on more things.
Pros
sports is fantastic couldnt say a bad thing about it
Cons
need to have more lesson prep for soldiers
Great Job, Terrible Career
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Various20 June 2018
Great Job offering lifelong skills. However since recent cuts to Pay, Pensions, Food and proposed future cuts to housing it is now a terrible long term career.

Better to join the reserves and get your green fix that way.
Pros
Brilliant bunch of lads, amazing culture and experiences
Cons
Terrible pension scheme (AFPS 15) that will leave you wanting when you retire
Friendly working environment
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh18 June 2018
Job security is good with plenty of opportunities to advance within the army. The British army offers plenty of traveling opportunity aswell as plenty of paid leave
Good experience, managed poorly
Heating and Plumbing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tidworth18 June 2018
Within my six years I have travelled oversees to numerous countries, to work in challenging environments. Tasks ranging from the heating and plumbing im specialised in, to bridge building and demolitions work. The challenges set we’re often given last minute with a lot of pressure, so that made me flexible and ready at all times. The pros of the army are certainly the adventure training opportunities I had been able to do, such as skydiving, skiing, mountain climbing and water sports. The negatives being the poor management of the workforce, with almost everything always being a last minute job, the lack of materials or tools for a construction job, and the poor management of soldiers careers and personal lives. Overall, I’ve enjoyed my time in the army and I’ve grasped every opportunity with both hands. However, it’s time to move on as I want a career in a new environment, as I’m ready to build my life out of the military.
Pros
Adventure training
Cons
Personal life planning
Fun place
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 June 2018
Yeah it was such a fun place to work ad you mafe such good friends who became your family and worked really well as a team but yet indivudually and it was so competitive
Pros
Free Lunch
others
Logistic Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bicester12 June 2018
working and living with others is a good thing but dont get much of a social life as the hours you work are not set and you can never plan ahead as you dont know what youll be doing
Enjoyed it in the main,
Soldier (Former Employee) –  UK AND OVERSEAS11 June 2018
Enjoyed my time in the Army but it's more of a lifestyle than a job. Don't regret joining but after five and a half years I decided to move on and get a civilian job,
Pros
Good team spirit/close friendships forged
Cons
A lifestyle as much as a job
Productive and skillful
Driver (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk10 June 2018
I've gained so much knowledge since joining the British Army and skill that I can take with me through to civilian life that will benefit me for the future.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Working away alot
Varied, can be demaning but worth it.
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom10 June 2018
I have spend 12 years in the army and I have had good and bad times. The good times do out weigh the bad and I have learned life skills I would never got if I hadn't joined. I have travelled the world I have been to nearly every continent and worked with every type of people and experienced many different cultures.
Pros
Free travel, guaranteed job security, good pay.
Cons
Can be long hours, time away from home.
Soundest palace aver
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough7 June 2018
Grate laugh loads of good lads amazing life style don’t realise when your there but when you come out you soon find that it is the best place to be can’t wait to get back to it
hard but fun workplace
soldier (Former Employee) –  Harrogate6 June 2018
it is good but veryphysically demanding as i was only 16 at the time. Apart from that it gave many skills such as good timekeepinf and presentation and an urge to do the best in any job i enrol in.
Pros
good fitness
Cons
long nights
Fun workplace
Lance Corporal (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex5 June 2018
Loved my career in the British Army, wish I would of joined earlier. Spent 6 years in the Army in Colchester. Spent time in Kenya, Arneham, Wales and a few other countries.
Pros
Friendly colleagues, Job Security
Cons
Time away from home
Enjoyed every minute
Warrant Officer Class 2 (Former Employee) –  UK, East and Western Europe, Cyprus4 June 2018
Can highly recommend the career to anyone who feels they can commit to the demands of the role. There is ample scope for progression and benefits that come with the role. but you have to accept the difficulties that come with being part of the British Army
Pros
Good comeradery
Cons
Sent to some dangerous places at times
exciting
Parachute Regiment Recruit (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison3 June 2018
A typical day in training for the British army is exciting and different everyday, from Physical training to fieldcraft, drill and map reading each day comes with its own challenges.
Pros
lifestyle, pay
Great
Army Reservist (Current Employee) –  Essex29 May 2018
You are given many opportunities to grown and develop within the British army. I have enjoyed lots of extensive travel and have developed as a more confident individual.
Loved it
Combat Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 May 2018
Lots of experiences which I think everyone should have the opportunity to do. It helped develop who I am today, giving me the ambition to do what I want in civilian life.
Pros
Money, After my 8 Years service they paid for my University Degree
Cons
Whole Life is Dictated & Never off duty
Poor Management and becoming to PC
Training Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  London26 May 2018
Cut backs in spending and a evermore increasing PC environment have brought the Army to its knees. It is a sinking ship. It shames me to say it but a career in the Army isn't what it used to be.

The Armed Forces are changing to fit the want of the government to become more "inclusive" and "Friendly looking". This has had a huge effect on the Army's operational capability.
Pros
Good rates of pay
Cons
long hours, Political correctness forced down your that at every opportunity.
job was good to start off but got worse towards leaving
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Arborfield, Berkshire24 May 2018
Training was good and you get left alone a lot to get on with you training, you get plenty of time to study, if you put in the work you should pass ok
British army
British army (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire22 May 2018
A good job that will keep you fit and enough stuff to keep you interested and challenged.
you will miss a lot of time at home with courses and exercises
Pros
Lots of leave
Cons
Time away from family and friends
glad I did it, glad Im done
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire17 May 2018
It can be a good job you get good leaders, otherwise it can be a long wait to the end of your contract, Im glad I did it but Im glad Im done, if your interested I would say just take the hit and do it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3