British Army Employee Reviews

Army
Soldier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 January 2018
It was a good stable job and gave me many long life skills i got to meet great new people. Gave me confidence put me under pressure at times but the hard work paid off.
Pros
Free food
Fun workplace
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire16 January 2018
The army is a very serious yet fun workplace to be in. Although people may think of the army as a place that is meant to break you as a person... it is actually pretty layer back but whilst also keeping that level of seriousness of the job.
Pros
Accommodation, fitness, food, new friends
Cons
Hard work, stressful
ok
Aviation communication specialist (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk16 January 2018
Army is good if you don't have family to provide for as a junior rank. with consistently deploying all over the UK and world for weeks or months at a time. Money was a big factor for me leaving.
Pros
Cheap housing if married
Cons
always being away from you family
Fun for some
Guardsman in the Scots Guards (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
The Army is a place for a certain kind of person, if you are that kind of person then you will thrive and enjoy every minute, if you are not then this job is not for you.
Pros
A lot of benefits
Cons
Potentially long hours.
Disciplined but enjoyable
trainee vehichle mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lyneham, Wiltshire15 January 2018
typical working days are a bit long and tiring, learned core values and standards, management is poor at times, culture is diverse, military training is probably the hardest part but is also part of being a soldier, the friends you make are the best thing about the job in my opinion.
Pros
decent salary for someone young, all licenses are available to you for free
Cons
longs hours, early starts
Professional, Disciplined, full of opportunity.
Potential Officer (Former Employee) –  Sandhurst13 January 2018
There is never a lack for opportunity for personal and professional development in the British Army, and the is ample chance for you to have life-changing experiences.
adventure full
infantry weapon specialist 81mm mortar (Former Employee) –  Blackpool12 January 2018
i enjoyed the military life for the first 5 years i left due to starting a family and wanting to be there more for my child the job itself is fun in many ways but also mentally and physically challenging
Pros
see the world
Cons
family time
Challenging & Rewarding working environment,
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Arborfield11 January 2018
The army is hard, no two ways about it. It requires tremendous effort to get there, there's plenty of hoops to jump through. But the community and rewards, job security and secure progression are fantastic. For me it was worth it, my time in the army was cut short and I was devastated. I'd go back in a heartbeat
Challenging environment.
Senior Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tidworth11 January 2018
Each day brings different challenges, one day you could be fitting an engine into a land rover the next day you could be on a shooting range. The job brings challenges to yourself as an individual and as a leader, you can be on an exercise in the middle of Salisbury plains in charge of 8 men looking after their well being as well as your own co - ordinating section attacks keeping an eye on your men and keepimg a cool head whilst in a highly stressful environment.
Pros
Training oppertunities are vast both in trade and within the military.
Cons
Last minute deployments, not giving time to sort out family administration.
Good moral
Sapper (Current Employee) –  Scotland11 January 2018
Good place for team work and getting to see parts of the world. Gain loads of knowledge for the rest of your life and also knowledge bout vehicles and engineering.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Salary
Challenging yet fun role.
Royal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey10 January 2018
It was challenging, fun and worthwhile, it was a good lifestyle to be a part of and the outcome was worth the hardships of the job role. I made good friends who became more like family who were a great support role to have.
Pros
Character building, good training and good benefits.
Cons
Long working hours and can be a long time away from home.
Wouldn’t recommend
Armoured Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tidworth10 January 2018
Wouldn’t recommend joining the army. Join other branch of the armed forces. Job/life balance is well off. There is plenty of opportunity to travel to other countries.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Job/life balance
low moral
Recovery Mechanic (Current Employee) –  tidworth9 January 2018
low moral across the army due to cuts. a lot of people leaving due to this. no more adventure training and no operational tours. The people who I have worked with are really good friends and become very close.
Productive and extremely varied.
Communications Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire8 January 2018
On a typical day in the British Army, we would maintain and when required fix technical equipment, whilst keeping in good health and a strong mental attitude. I learned how to cope with various tasks under time constraints and adapt to unforeseen issues when occurred.

The management side at my level was generally receiving orders from higher such as certain targets that needed to be completed at certain times to a high standard. The workplace culture was a extremely tight knit group of colleagues working for each other to complete extremely challenging tasks efficiently and professionally.

The hardest part of the job for me was being away from my family sometimes months at a time. My most enjoyable memories of the Army was adventure training putting my self in alien environments and overcoming adversity.
Pros
Strong team cohesion
Cons
Away from family months at a time
Started out grate, but cuts made it bad... Im not aloud to swear.
Guardsman (Former Employee) –  UK8 January 2018
Like it says above...

I joined in 2008 and it was fantastic for a good few years.

But with the 2010 cuts and 20,000 personnel fired and another 20,000 quitting the army turned into a very sour work environment where you will be required on a daily basis to work more with less.
Thoroughly enjoyed my time
STAFF SERGEANT (Former Employee) –  All over the world6 January 2018
I joined at the age of 16 and at first hated it, but once I learnt to accept the high levels of discipline I started to thrive. I obtained the rank of Staff Sergeant before being medically downgraded for injured knees.
Pros
You put in. you get rewarded
Cons
Danger to life
amazing
Driver (Former Employee) –  Gibraltar5 January 2018
when i worked for the army it was hard at time but the places you get to go and see and the work you have to do it really good and all the weapones you are ble to get your hand s on and trained one is fun as well.
Pros
all the brakes
Cons
long houres
Well organised
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire5 January 2018
I completed basic training many years ago, it was hard and it was brutal and it had its lows.. BUT it did have plenty of highs action adrenaline and good lads. Unfortunately that's were my story ended due to injury.
Pros
Plenty of room for promotion
Cons
plenty of time away from family
Rewarding dependant on personal circumstances
Ammunition Technician (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom4 January 2018
Rewarding, challenging and good job satisfaction for the right person.
Difficult work life balance.
Good bonuses and travel opportunities.
Opportunities for sport in the right role.
Only did 2 days work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland3 January 2018
Was only with the army a couple of days on work experience back in school, opinion shouldn't be taken into account as I am not a soldier and did not see any long-term experience.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Being shot at

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3