British Army Employee Reviews

British Army Review
Junior Section Commander (JS NCO) (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, UK11 December 2018
The British Army is a spectacular and fantastic place to work at, however, it's not for all. I left training because I found it's not for me, although I did enjoy it and performed to a high standard, I did not see myself having a career in it.

A typical day's training can consist of any key skills taught.
I learned a lot about mental resilience, discipline and a good work ethic.
Not very organised
Soldier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 December 2018
Not enough qualifications or courses given to you or anything to help your transitioning to civilian street and the people are not very approachable if you like school and crave attention join
Cons
Never know when you are finished
Ridiculously bad
Weapons Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire10 December 2018
The British Army is the principal land warfare force of the United Kingdom, a part of British Armed Forces. As of 2018, the British Army comprises just over 81,500 trained regular personnel and just over 27,000 trained reserve personnel. Wikipedia
Good employer with lots of benefits
Senior Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Nuneaton8 December 2018
Having spent 22 years working with the British Army I found them to be a good employer that generally look after there staff and have plenty of pension benefits.
productive work place
Recovery Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dorset7 December 2018
all units are different, my unit is a more relaxed place however the work comes in wave so there will be quite periods however shortly followed by a big surge in work requiring all hand to chip in
It's enjoyable, fun, different races and religrion, you get to travel a lot.
Logistic Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pirbright, Surrey, UK6 December 2018
Once your training is over its like a 9 to 5 job,
you have the ability to learn as much as you want and go as far as you can.
Most enjoyable part of being in the service is it is great family and what you want to make of it.

The best place to gain life experience and friends. money is not the best but the expenses are very less and help you towards saving. you get lots of free time to develop yourself if you wish to.

Friendly supportive environment, excellent training that takes you from the very basics to becoming well trained in a short space of time, the people are all of good character and friendly.
I worked with great people.
Transport Manager/Communications (Former Employee) –  Bicester, UK6 December 2018
I worked for the British Army for 16 and half years, where i made some great friends and I was promoted up the ranks. I have served in many countries across the world. The hardest part my job was to say goodbye to friends that i have lost through war.
Pros
great family ethos
Cons
non
Soldier
British Army (Former Employee) –  uk6 December 2018
Best thing I ever done was joining the British Army I joined in 1989 and lasted till 2013 and I gained the Rank of sergeant which is a very respectable rank to be in
Great experience
System Operator in Royal Signals (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire3 December 2018
great life if single
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire3 December 2018
once your training is over its like a 9 to 5 job,
you have the ability to learn as much as you want and go as far as you can.
most enjoyable part of being in the service is it is great family and what you want to make of it
Pros
free bed and food
Cons
being on call 24- 7
Productive and fast paced.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire2 December 2018
Obviously was fast paced work that was quite a lot of time challenging. I gained many skills from my time in the army and id like to think it made me physically robust giving me a good work ethic upon my discharge from the armed forces.
Infantary
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire30 November 2018
Spent 8 years serving in the Armed Forces helped me develop discipline gain a lot of experience. made some great friends who Im still very close to as we speak to each other everyday
Pros
money, friends
Cons
time away from fmaily
productive and fun
Tank Crewman (Former Employee) –  Tidworth29 November 2018
I usually work on and maintain the tanks throughout the work day. The management was also quite good at spilting up all the jobs that needed to be done.
Great place to make friends and travel the world.
Human Resources Specialist (Administrator) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire27 November 2018
I did only 6 years in service and Human Resource Administrator and i have mixed of both ends. Sometimes you think it was the best place to be and sometimes you wish you were there. You will make life long friends and will travel the world. Salary is poor for the service soldiers provide but you will get lot of subsides on housing.
Pros
Travel the world and lot of time off. Long weekends very often sport afternoon on Wednesdays.
Cons
Low salary, stressful sometimes and being on endless exercises depriving your family from stability.
Good if not a Single Parent
Movement Controller (Current Employee) –  Cirencester, Gloucestershire27 November 2018
I have been working here since 2010 and enjoyed everything about the Military. Then the pensions were changed, financial incentives were cut, pay was frozen and demand increased upon troop, especially within my chosen trade. When I became a single parent my needs to be with my 2 year old daughter were not met or catered for as I was told time and again to not get my daughter back and I am unemployable within this organisation.
Pros
Good for Travel
Cons
Not great for a family environment.
worst thing ever
driver (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire27 November 2018
hated every minute of the army, i gained alot of skills but theyre not worth the stuff i went through in the army, kicked me out over failing one drug test when people who are worst soldiers get to stay in after failing 3
Brilliant opportunities, not for those with close attachments to home
Communication systems engineer (Former Employee) –  Blandford Forum, Dorset27 November 2018
The army is a brilliant opportunity for someone looking to improve themselves. You will learn new skills and meet some of the best people from all over the world. It is the ideal choice for someone looking to be the best they can be. Although it is tough and demanding both physically and mentally you will receive all the support you could need and have plenty of time to decide if the army life is the life for you. The only down side I could see for some people would be those with very close attachments to home before joining.
Pros
Cheap accommodation, plenty of advancement, cheap meals
Cons
Long hours, demanding, constantly away from home
Proud to serve under the crown
HR Administrator and Finance (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire25 November 2018
I joined the Army in January 1986 and retired from the service in December 2014. I have enjoyed every day of my Army Career for last 29 years. I will strongly recommend any fit and well disciplined individual to join the Army and serve their country under the Crown with pride.
Pros
Well disciplined organisation.
Cons
Nil
Do you want to travel the World?
Sapper (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom23 November 2018
Get down to your local careers office for more insight and a talk with a careers advisor. That is the start point for everyone who is indeed looking for a role with such an Establishment.
Pros
Diversity in cultures. Fantastic variety in roles.
Cons
You get out what you put in.
Productive work ethic, average man managment
Avionics Technician, REME (Former Employee) –  Wattisham, Suffolk23 November 2018
Overall i had a great 5 years in the Army, but as my time came towards an end a big overhaul in management staff left a let of the juniors feeling frustrated and constantly let down by poor decisions leading to unfair work loads and working patterns.
However the Army has taught me many valuable life skills and most importantly my trade (Avionics Technician) to a very high standard.
The most valuable asset the Army can give you as a great stepping stone from school, to the civilian engineering sector by giving you a great apprenticeship. I personally don't see it as a long term career anymore.
Pros
Travelling the world, Paid to play sport, Apprenticeship, Experience, Culture
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, poor accommodation, poor location, management don't listen

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3