British American Tobacco

British American Tobacco Employee Reviews for Laboratory Technician

Used to leave home at 7 in the morning. Once in the lab, started the machines up, checked the chemicals etc. Only left to start my family.
Small cog, big corporate machine. I was a scientist in a very well funded lab with very little to do and well paid in salary and bonuses. I learnt very little on the job as it is a meat grinder for results that the corporate side demand but don't understand. The lab techs were protected from much but certainly not all the corporate side, but this was getting worse when I left. I didn't go to uni to sit in 5 hour long meetings with all the weasel words from every Dilbert book being used in earnest. The scientific people are friendly but often worn down as stress increases as you climb the ladder, which was often only by deadman's shoes. The whole place will produce little of worth while it is wrapped in uncertainty in what it wants to do and strangled in red tape. I left with no other job lined up as I saw it was preferable to continuing to work there, only the money gives me cause for regret.
Pros
Salary and bonuses
Cons
Overly corporate, management constantly stressed, no real direction
Good place to work Good team work Good training Encouraging management Always busy Friendly co-workers Good work-life balance Good social activities
Pros