British American Tobacco Employee Reviews

Found 61 reviews matching the search See all 1,556 reviews
Great salary, great benefits
HR Masterdata Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southampton27 December 2018
Brilliant company to work for. Salary is good, benefits are great and the office is comfortable. The company is doing well and this is reflected in bonuses and benefits. It's a really interesting company to work for with many different cultures and types of people and you're induction allows you to learn all about the company's past and plans for the future. Well worth an application.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits, subsidised lunches.
Cons
Some departments being moved overseas.
Busy but fun place
Legal Department (Former Employee) –  Temple26 September 2018
Busy but fun place good work/life balance, informal and approachable senior attorneys and management. Plenty to learn here and plenty of opportunities to take advantage of.
Great place to work, if you don't want anything to do with sales
Territory Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  South West2 September 2018
This role was sold to me as sales, and as the dark market became fully fledged by the time I had joined, selling went out the window. Its very controversial to sell tobacco and BAT toe an exceptionally fine line. They are ahead of their game in most they do. They knew the sugar tax was coming! But I do question how long Vapping will be a thing, and how long they profits will really last.
Pros
Dictate your own timetable and day
Cons
KPIs are laughable and its questionable what will happen to people who sell nicotine.....
Senior IT Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 August 2018
Great place to work , when it comes to culture and work life balance. Too much politics and restructuring which creates a "kill or be Killed " mentality amongst team members.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Often changing strategies with Senior management fighting for turf.
Commercially focused and customer driven organisation
Group Head of Product (Former Employee) –  London26 August 2018
Excellent place to develop capabilities and grow as a leader of people and teams. Always new challenges and opportunities. Culturally a place where you feel like part of a family, however is becoming increasingly tough with the rise in expectations.
Pros
Opportunities, Challenge, Development
Cons
Senior management becoming dis-connected from organisation.
Bat
Junior Analyst AP (Current Employee) –  Ilfov3 July 2018
As I see it, BAT is an employee-centered company. There are interesting trainings available, regardless the position somebody has. People feel motivated to work here and even Entry Level jobs are quite attractive. The management is well structured and inspiring. I like the fact that from time to time we have the possibility to find out what is the main focus of the company for the next period of time.
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire25 June 2018
I spent most of my career with this company which tells a story in itself. The benefits are such that once you reach a certain level of management, it becomes difficult to consider leaving!
All round excellent place to work
Trade Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London5 June 2018
I really enjoyed my 8 years at BAT. I left to pursue other dreams but have amazing memories from working there. I am very thankful for having the opportunity to work there.
Pros
All the benefits
Cons
Base salary was little low
supportive
Sales & Marketing representative (Former Employee) –  North West25 May 2018
good company to work for. verry supportive. good career progression opportunities. i learned sales techniques. managers are very helpful. workplace environment is fun.
Pros
all work related expenses paid for
Cons
admin and paperwork after working hours.
Hardwork yet rewarding
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  South East22 March 2018
Paid well, but expected to work hard. Very people focused and will to develop from within. Company that will support the individuals in every way and make sure they are looked after as the first objective.
Hardest part is the long hours and stretching nature of the role. Always pushing for more and no role could ever be considered 9-5. The growth I have received in this company at the start was second to none and the support though tough times is amazing. Company that are willing to listen and happy to support at all times.
The people are amazing and make the job worth while, and seeing the results in the hardest industry is more than rewarding.
Fun work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Romania20 January 2018
I liked this job, because I had the chance to work with people and I loved to try to talk differently with everyone. I enjoyed the flexibility of the program.
Great company!
Brand Ambassador Executive (Former Employee) –  Romania13 November 2017
It was a pleasure to work with fantastic people. Amazing management! I have learned and develop a lot of abilities. Great company which invest in people!
Pros
Great trainings, fantastic management. Very nice place to work.
Cons
Long hours.
Innovative and Future Focussed
Business Partner Financial Support - Futures (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire13 November 2017
Well organised, always changing and adapting.
Many opportunities if you are willing to move or relocate, and this seems to be necessary in order to progress.
Pros
Security
Cons
Long hours and internal are less rewarded than externals
Business Systems Analyst III (Former Employee) –  U.K11 July 2017
World class organization with good corporate culture. British American Tobacco(BAT) is the second largest tobacco in the world. BAT place high premium on staff training and development. BAT guiding principles: Enterprising spirit, freedom through responsibility, open minded and strength from diversity.
Technologist
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Southampton15 May 2017
Product Stewardship contracted me to edit ingredient profiles passed forward via scientist approval. The department staff were lovely and very knowledgeable. There is a subsidised gym and a canteen that has a good daily selection of food. The job role is certainly a great starting point for a chemistry candidate. I was agency employed, although anyone suitable will be recruited by BAT directly.
Pros
Nice pay and perks. Free office coffee.
Cons
Obvious stigma. Task can be monotonous.
Competitive Large projects
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 May 2017
A large organization with scattered system but an organization open to ideas, best practices and learning from past. It is process oriented and will do well to do projects with flexible timelines.
Pros
Easy going people, open work culture
Cons
Long hours, decision making is too long
At your own peril
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire23 April 2017
Small cog, big corporate machine. I was a scientist in a very well funded lab with very little to do and well paid in salary and bonuses.

I learnt very little on the job as it is a meat grinder for results that the corporate side demand but don't understand.

The lab techs were protected from much but certainly not all the corporate side, but this was getting worse when I left. I didn't go to uni to sit in 5 hour long meetings with all the weasel words from every Dilbert book being used in earnest.

The scientific people are friendly but often worn down as stress increases as you climb the ladder, which was often only by deadman's shoes.

The whole place will produce little of worth while it is wrapped in uncertainty in what it wants to do and strangled in red tape.

I left with no other job lined up as I saw it was preferable to continuing to work there, only the money gives me cause for regret.
Pros
Salary and bonuses
Cons
Overly corporate, management constantly stressed, no real direction
Productive and good work place
2nd line support Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  London4 April 2017
The team was amazing and connected which made the work enjoyable, the management were supportive and the users very friendly , had to travel to different sites to support users
Ever changing field of play
Trade Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  South East30 March 2017
Things change very quickly and we are constantly chasing a new target.

No clear direction after monthly meetings because you can guarantee we will have a new focus the next week.

Head office don't seem to know what we do and have no concept of what the field really need.
Pros
Free shares, private healthcare and lunch allowance
Cons
Always a target with tobacco stock and cash
Great environment to work in
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 March 2017
Great environment to work in. Good benefits. You will have the ability to work internationally with the company and the company will help you relocate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British American Tobacco. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4