British Airways Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London21 May 2019
Busy but fun job, hard at times but very rewarding. Job requires to be very responsible, flexible and committed. Great for meeting people and fantastic travel opportunities
Pros
good staff travel
Cons
many aircrafts to work on
It can be the best place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London9 May 2019
Started this job and absolutely loved everything about it. The staff. The environment. The flexibility. You name it. Then after 6 months. People’s job security was shattered. Nobody knew if they were coming or going. That had a huge impact on our working environment. Management aren’t nowhere to be found and the image of British brand is loosing its value and morale. And with all changes and things we have to learn everyday you’d think our pay would match it. This company could be one of the best to work with if the pay reflected our hardwork, management actually took on their role properly and people’s job securities were not on edge.
Pros
Flexible & Travel
Cons
No management support & pay could be better
Treated like a child.. always
Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London8 May 2019
My biggest annoyance about working for British Airways is their ridiculous blame and ‘catch you out’ culture. On Mixed Fleet, it is an information overload - multiple aircraft to know (A319/A320/A321, B777, B787 and B747 or A380) and services too (including Club World and First). With so much to know, tiny mistakes are often made, and many of these will be documented by overzealous Customer Service Managers. Their instant feedback, which they will tell you is a “good thing” actually isn’t. It goes on your performance file and will affect the pittance of a bonus that the company pays each year.

I support action for safety related issues but for an unintentional deviation from service standards, absolutely not. For example, using the incorrect glass, forgetting to use a drip mat (a paper coaster). There’s no such thing as an ‘off the cuff’ dealing with a situation. It must be documented. This destroys morale and leaves crew feeling incapable and inadequate.

As a big fleet, it is not uncommon to go to work and not to know anybody that you are flying alongside. But you do get to know people and you’ll nearly always get to work in a cabin that you enjoy.

You also get to bid for the destinations that you like the most. Similarly, you can bid for trips and days off that you want, and there is the ability to buddy bid too - flying with friends. You can enter generic bids - by trip duration, continent, sectors in a trip, or, more specifically, by flight number, destination or even time of day.

There is a staff travel scheme, allowing standby travel for you and two nominees,
  more... but it is well used and this, along with high loads, means that you may not always get on your preferred flight. Standby travel extends to many other airlines too.

On board, there is never a shortage of food. On longer flights, crew meals are loaded, but crew generally eat leftover food in the ovens. Whatever you eat though, it’s repetitive and unhealthy. I prefer to provide my own meals.

A basic salary on Mixed Fleet is basic! But, controversially, I feel that our allowances (an hourly rate) hike this up significantly and it is possible to earn £1,800-£2,000 per month (net), assuming plenty of long haul and good commission.
Pros
Good selection of routes (long and short)
Cons
Being treated like a child, occasional micro-management
A long time ago
Customer Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  London28 April 2019
I'm sure since I left over 30 years ago, things have changed several times over. I enjoyed my time with BA while I was there and left for promotional opportunities.
Excellent place to work. Worked nights 7pm till 6am.
Temp. comp;aints handler (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear26 April 2019
Dealt with the 36.000 complaints BA had during the opening of terminal 5. Spoke to English speaking customers all over the world about baggage claims and European Finance claims.
Pros
Good conditions
Fantastic Career
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Airport25 April 2019
I had a fantastic time as Cabin Crew. It is a varied and rewarding job. No two flights are the same, and you interact with such a varied and diverse range of people, not only just customers but also colleagues.

Some flights you operate, you know some of the crew, others you know no one.

I learned so much over the years, and continued to learn up until I left.

The hardest part of the job is the jet lag, and the most enjoyable part of the job, is making the customers feel special, and hopefully enhancing their experience, especially if they are travelling on holiday.
Pros
Discounted flights
Cons
Long hours and jet lag
You only work at BA for the title - "I work at British Airways".
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Manchester20 April 2019
PROs

- The people I got inducted with are probably some of the best people you can meet. All walks of life from each corner of the globe work at the contact centre.

- The 5 week classroom based training in order to learn the products and services that BA offer to its customers. Very intense training but quite an eye opener. You can use your knowledge to your advantage if you wanted to. You can also have a laugh in the classroom with your fellow colleagues.

The two trainers that I had were very good in their knowledge of the company and what it offers to its customers. Therefore learning from them was a pleasure.

- If you’re stuck with something that you really struggling with, the more experienced employees will go out of their way in order to help you out.

- If you wanted to, you could move around the company without much hassle. But the lucrative positions are mainly in London. Here in Manchester it’s only the contact centre - from what I know.

- The perks of discounted travel and potentially upgrading yourself when travelling was really good. However, I never got the chance to use the travel perk. Going off the record of what other people have said, potentially you could get 70+ percent off flight prices, which could save you loads of money (but don’t quote me on it).

- You can make your own judgement on whether you want to pass the charge screen when making changes to the booking as you aren’t running back and forth to get authorisation from management. When you do it’s quite nice for the customer as they respond back very positively making the call
  more... easier to deal with.

- If you strayed over your finishing time for the day, you can get that time back for the following day or just let it build until you have a solid half day.

- Sometimes if you can’t be bothered to come into work, you can ring up and see if you can have the day off. I use to do this mainly with my early starts. Made use of it.

- Might be a small issue for some but working at BA helped me understand different accent's when talking to people on the phone. Due to the nature of the business, you had calls from all round the world. Initially struggled with strong accents but as time went on I started to pick up and understand the customer.

- There were pretty good bonuses on offer at the time when I was there, quarterly and yearly if I remember correctly. It helped supplement basic income of just over 15k.

- Canteen was large and catered your standard lunch/food at a discount price.

CONs

- Some customers are so obnoxious it’s unbelievable.

- The shift patterns were terrible. I absolutely hated it. Some days you could finish at 2200 and start work again at 0700 which for me personally was too much due to the fact I relied on public transport and it takes nearly an hour to and from work.

You'll be working some weekends but only get a day off in between the two weeks you've worked. So basically I'm saying is that you might aswell give up on your life.

- Besides the contact centre, there is not much for BA here in Manchester. Most are based in London as it is BA's HQ.

- In training they state "be yourself". When I was finally on the phone chitchatting away with customers, I spoke the way I normally speak (without the telephone voice). However, I was one of the few that got dragged into the office for not speaking properly (posh & formal voice) with the customer. For example, instead of saying "wife" I used to say "your other half" or "missus".

Had to literally tell the managers that training on the phone and actual floor working does not marry up together. Also pointed out that the customer left me a positive feedback and that he was laughing on the phone therefore my relationship with that particular customer was a good relationship.

- Considering BA is a multinational company that is looked at as a very prestigious company, their contact centre in Manchester is very big. However, at any one time it is half full. I personally don’t know if that’s how the roster worked or if they were having issues with recruitment and high turnover of staff because after I left, all of the team I was inducted in with left (approx) within a year.

- Only flexibility is for the job which nine times out of ten works in the favour for BA not yourself. Just in case you finish off work above the allocated time etc...

- Pay was pretty standard at just above 15k. (But bonuses helped you supplement income). Premium airline but dont't pay the wages of a premium company. They easily make a million per week on early seat selection. Thats around 52 million in the bank of free money per year for just letting customers select their seats. Wonder if that money is used to pay its employees or given to the shareholders as an incentive to keep faith in BA?

- Canteen catered your standard lunch/food.

ADVICE TO MANAGEMENT

- Line managers need to take ownership of the team that they run.

- Upper management need to realise the needs and wants of the employees that they are hiring as the contact centre manager didn’t have a clue when me and the team worked there what was happening to the team.

- Set clear goals for people who are starting in the industry. You have people who have worked in the aviation industry for years so comparing them employees to the newbies isn’t fair.

- Need to sort out the work/life balance as it is non-existent.

- Need clear indication on why people are leaving by asking the questions needed in an exit interview.

- Salary needs to be realistic (not sure what it is now but it should be something decent considering the name the employee is representing).
what is the company about
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 Station4 April 2019
This is a nice company I enjoyed my over 40 years with this company
I was working in friendly and well organised surrounding. Mainly my duties was in baggage hall but I did support in different department IE lost bags where you support external costumers. Some time working with baggage very pressured but if you use pristine handling technique it make much easier to preform.
Pros
shifts travel and many more
Worst employer EVER
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear31 March 2019
I have worked in customer service for over 20 years, and can honestly say this place is the worst. They dont care for their customers and think even less of their staff.
There are a few people there who are meant to be there to help and support you, but they like to talk to you as if you are the muck on their shoe.
Attendance are the worst dept ever. I have never worked in a place where if you have a sick note they make you go in every 2-4 weeks for a meeting for them to make you feel so bad about being off you go back to early still feeling ill.
No matter what they say there is targets to hit and you will be reminded on a daily basis to hit them.
There are so many complaints from passengers the customer relations dept is only open 1-5 mon-fri so other depts get all the moaners complaining
There is no thanks for doing this job and dont be surprised to be stuck on calls at the end of your LONG 9 hour shift, good luck getting that time back.
Building is a dump and the very few hours the canteen is open the food is frozen rubbish.
Pros
Cons
The whole company
where do I start ?
Ground Equipment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Roster, UK29 March 2019
Joined B.A. May 1977, worked as a Automotive Ground Eqpt Engineer. During my 21 years service I carried out numerous duties and functions, which included :: All aspects of Repair / Maintenance / and general servicing of all B.A. & other Airlines Ground Equipment on a regular controlled schedule to assist all user's of optium vehicle / equipment availability.
I also served as a member of a quick response team that was dedicated to deal with emergency call's / situations that affected the late departure of an aircraft due to vehicles and or equipment failing. around or attached to the aircraft.
During my employment with B.A. I've undertaken numerous training courses covering my job , Incl Health & Safety.
My first job & love, wish I was still there now, I would recommend employment with B.A. to anyone
Pros
Great feeling to belong to such a great airline..... (belonging / perks)
Cons
shift work / unsociable hours
Great job, hard to keep up with the lifestyle
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London12 March 2019
Absolutely loved my time working here. Had to leave as I was commuting and physically/financially I could not keep up. Great for short term, I do envy those who can sustain it long term. Met some really fantastic people on some trips, it was sad to see the end of the trip and know you will probably never see the person again due to there being thousands of crew. Although working on flights, having this job really doesn’t not feel like a job at all.
Pros
Travel, great accommodation, meeting new people
Cons
Long hours, location of base, never working with the same people twice
My role was an Analyst Programmer within Finance IT.
Systems Development / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 March 2019
I was responsible for the analysis and build of a new suite of programs within the Passenger Revenue Accounts System.

The aim was to process third party sales of British Airways tickets through the Credit Suite directly rather than the current use of third party agents.

The revenue from sales was also interfaced in the ERP system Cedar E5.

Always under pressure to meet tight deadlines however there were rewards for producing deliverables on time.
Progression is amazing
Customer Service Manager (Cabin Crew Manager) (Current Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport26 February 2019
Very progressive company and supportive to everyone.
Diverse place to work, with lots of opportunities to build on skills and qualities. Transparent company, with clear processes to follow.
Great management structure and open door policy, you can approach other managers and provide feedback to improve the business.
Pros
Benefits staff travel
Cons
long shifts and challenges daily.
positive working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London22 February 2019
I gained intense knowledge of the Airline and enjoyed the customer service training.

British Airways, pride them self on providing excellent customer service.

I feel very honoured to have gained that knowledge.

I learnt how to deal with international customers and the intense service of British Airways.

we were taught , the day to day operation of the terminals with-in Heathrow and Gatwick, fire procedures, Airport codes.

We were set exams , to complete on-line and at heathrow.

The most enjoyable part of the job was training and gaining that experience on the airport floor.
Pros
exciting environment
Cons
None.
Professional Company to work with
SharePoint Consultant (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London19 February 2019
Team was very professional in their work approach. Learned some new things on Project Management and SharePoint side. Nice place to work near Airport watching the airplanes and people rushing to catch their flight.
Pros
Professional Company, Based near Airport, Commute easy
Gatwick Cabin Crew
Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Gatwick Airport1 February 2019
British Airways really have ruined what should be an amazing and fulfilling job by treating their Cabin Crew so poorly. Pay is at an industry low and the overall attitude towards there own staff is pushing morale down and down.

If you are young and able to live with parents this is still a great opportunity to travel and see some amazing places, however if you have any real financial commitments I would suggest looking at other Airlines.
Pros
Fellow Cabin Crew
Cons
Poor Pay
Fabulous job for a single person
On Board Purser -Longhaul Fleet (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport29 January 2019
Loved seeing the world with British Airways.
Excellent staff perks.
Lovely people to work with
Enjoyable customer service
Flexible contracts available
Good salary
Pros
Great cheap travel
Cons
Long time away from home/ long hours
Great Staff Travel Benefits, that’s all.
Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Heathrow27 January 2019
Working with BA was a great experience to travel the world and getting paid to do so - Amazing!
I loved my job at the beginning, to be honest it’s a very easy job, I didn’t find it very challenging at all. The only thing that’s difficult is the lack of sleep and balancing work and seeing your family and friends. You do miss out on a lot at home.

I began BA working at Gatwick, I was very happy here; it’s more laid back, the trips are nicer, the staff are a lot friendlier (in my opinion) but my pay was terrible. So I moved to Heathrow where the pay is much more (even though it’s the same job, weird!) there was also much more opportunities at Heathrow to progress (so I believed). But the thing is... it is so hard to progress, you can do everything right but the second you do one thing wrong and it could be so minor, you’re getting reported by your own colleagues, the same ones you hiked up table mountain with on your trip to Cape Town! You are not allowed to speak up to senior cabin crew, I have been told BY MY OWN manager that I must “suck up to management if I want to progress here” I always felt like my job was at risk when I was at Heathrow, I didn’t feel comfortable socialising because I did not trust anyone. I worked so hard and was told by my manager on many occasions that I’m doing well and taking the right steps to progress and then all of a sudden all the work I had done throughout the year was just thrown in my face because of the most silly thing, I was gobsmacked.

It was an amazing experience in the beginning, I would recommend Gatwick, if you don’t have
  more... many bills to pay  less
Pros
Staff travel
Cons
Nearly everything
productive and fun workplace
Quality food controller (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2019
Everyday as Cabin Crew is a new and exciting day, it brings you so many opportunities from learning new skills to seeing places you couldn't with any other job. Constantly you are making new friends and meeting new people who you wouldn't usually encounter without this job style. This job has massively boosted my confidence, developed my communication skills and advanced my ability to think quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job is not knowing what the day ahead holds for you, but this is also the hardest part of the job. This job has taught me to be adaptable and enjoy every experience it throws at me.
Fun workplace and every day is different
Cabin Crew (Current Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex18 January 2019
Pros
Everyday is a new experience
Cons
Food allowance only for breakfast

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Airways. Our community is ready to answer.