Bristol City Council Employee Reviews

Poor staff moral, constant threats of cutbacks and redundancies
Housing (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom31 December 2018
Very poor employee relations between different sectors
Didn't care about it large staff base, encourage high standards of service but no planning , support or structures to achieve goals.
Found myself meeting their standards but then achieving higher for the benefit of the service user.
Very high turnover of staff so team cohesion and planning was challenging.
Pros
Non
Cons
Weak senior leadership so no advancement oppertunities
Fun place to work in
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 December 2018
Each day is different as clients need changes and unique for each client.
Each day requires working with individual clients to provide specific care needs.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
nbone
Volunteering, Bristol City Council (Former Employee) –  Bristol17 November 2018
Had to Remove huge chunks of mug which was caused by an overflow of water from a nearby river. The mud had leaped into a family owned businessed garden which was used an a cafe.
productive and enoyable
Grounds Maintenance Park Works (Former Employee) –  Varied2 October 2018
I enjoyed everything I did at the gardening placements I did not mind getting stuck in and dirty. I learned to communicate with people. At my present place of work I can accept the responsibility. The hardest part of any job is sitting around and waiting I like to be busy at all times.
Pros
works uniform and meals.
Typical Council Culture
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 September 2018
Good place to cut your teeth in a particular field if you are ambitious and looking to move up. However, there is stagnation here and old ways of working which does not serve the institution. But there is a good culture, great salary and job security.
Culture has the right balance
Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 September 2018
Although I have not yet been at the Council a year my experience so far has been good. The team I work with are supportive and helpful, as is my manager.
My workload is manageable but challenging and allows me to expand my skills, knowledge and understanding.
Only negative would be around office environment, depending on which department you work for your office environment and facilities may vary.
Would definitely recommend Bristol City Council as a top employer.
Pros
Good work life balance, supportive team and manager
Cons
Office environment/facilities (depending on where you are based)
Supportive department staff
Occupational Health Practice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 August 2018
The team I worked with were very supportive of each other. We worked hard to provide an excellent Occupational Health and Welfare Service to the staff of Bristol City Council and to provide the department managers with appropriate advice for the welfare of their staff. Budget cuts by Central Government forced the City Council to out source the Occupational Health department.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Budget cuts
Good employer although the cuts are biting
Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 August 2018
Always been a good place to work. Generally a very supportive atmosphere from managers or colleagues. Pool cars available to enable you to get to appointments or meetings across the city. flexible working with negotiated options around term time only or condensed working week depending on the job and delivery required.
Easy to join the union.
Secure but hard to get time off
Emergency Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 July 2018
very busy day in day out working shifts, some days are better than others but that's the same with all jobs
not a great deal of work life balance, helping people a bonus and getting results from CCTV
Pros
secure, ever changing
Cons
work life balance long hours
Sinking ship
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol8 June 2018
Some wonderful people working there but extremely hierarchical, undermining culture from the senior management. Very poor training and no investment in staff, no opportunity for movement and career progression. Staff are gun fodder. Recent restructures have devastated adult social care. The result is a worse service for the vulnerable people of Bristol and council staff.

It goes without saying that austerity has gutted local authorities and that is ultimately what is ruining Bristol City Council.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Hierarchical culture, bullying, no progression
Exciting programme
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol centre22 May 2018
Challenging environment with much senior management change. However, many opportunities to bring about improvements for the citizens of Bristol.
The programme I managed was at the leading edge of Smart City work and provided an exciting environment in which to work.
Pros
Office very near Temple Meads station, making for easy commute
Good employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  City Hall10 May 2018
Strives to be a good employer.

Good working facilities/conditions/benefits. Staff/managers do want to make a difference.

Unfortunately, a reduction in budget has put huge pressure of the staff, who have to do more with less.

Could do with better management training.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
No parking!
Clicky environment
Repairs-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 April 2018
When I started working in this department I quickly became aware many of my colleagues had family members working there. I was made to feel like an outsider and was uncomfortable working in this position. They have a culture of whistle blowing which many used maliciously if you were not in there group of friendly co-workers. My time their was quite difficult. My supervisor would call me a liar with out anything to substantiate her claims. When I reported this she made out that she was the injured party.
Pros
Parking
Cons
My supervisor
Flexible and collaberative team spirit
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 April 2018
I was on secondment to the council from Jacobs engineering so my immediate experience was very good, flexible and enjoyable place to work, full of variety and autonomy. I also hot desked it at the council so didn't work as part of a team there, but those I did see seemed like a good workplace environment.

I've learned how the council go about their meetings, took minutes at these and everyone has a helpful attitude and I enjoyed all aspects of my job but mostly the people I came into contact with. I say this as it was much better than experience than working in the civil service which is a lot more serious and tightly resourced in my opinion.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
No team environment as a contractor
Good Pension
Learning Support assistant (Current Employee) –  bristol10 March 2018
Rewarding and challenging. Great staff and sense of family. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the lighbulb moments in children. Hardest part is the work life balance.
Very good as a part time job
Driver/Helper (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 February 2018
Best management, good team, interaction with people,. They provide a good training regarding the job responsibilities. Over all was one of the best jobs I had by now.
Disorganised chaos
Manager (Former Employee) –  Various27 January 2018
A sinking ship in most areas nowadays (but it was not always like this). It used to be a great place to work until austerity hit.

Nowadays some of the senior managers are selfish, guarded, back stabbing and only concerned about their own careers (but not all the managers are like this). As a consequence some managers are all out for themselves rather than the bigger picture of improving the whole organisation.
Pros
Salary sacrifice schemes
Cons
Lack of a future career for staff who work too hard and become stressed
Good team work in the kitchen
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Notton house academy15 January 2018
Some aspects of the job are great our team work so well together. We are a busy team and we all have our roles and we do them well.
There have been a lot of changes in the last year and unfortunately the work load has got bigger and bigger to the point that so many members of staff are looking for employment else where.
Pros
Working with a good team
Cons
Lack of communication
Both work places were full of fun
SMSA (Former Employee) –  May park school in Eastville15 January 2018
And i am happy to help with any job because I am a very happy person with lots of fun who smile always .it was fun working with the kids at the school it was for just 2 hours a day but really inspiring because I was there to work but also to learn more about childcare, and also working in Asda Bedminster for 9 years really inspired me a lot
Pros
Got my own lunch
Cons
Part time
Statistic Focused & thank less job, wrapped up in bureaucracy
Housing Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol Temple Meads Station, Bristol26 December 2017
New management has made the role more stressful. Only interested in hitting irrelevant targets, which is not possible with current work load, and working with vulnerable people. No support from Supervisors, just pressure. My role was becoming more dangerous and without Police support I was still expected to go to 'No GO Zones', lack of PPE and training. No money to sign-post people to get the help they need, will only become more difficult.