Bristol City Council

Bristol City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom131 reviews
Ok
I had a lot of training at Bristol City Council which has put me in good stead for future work. I was part of an admin team in the HR / Admin department which consisted of 13 people.
Nice Place To Work
Bristol City Council was a good place to work with good work culture and the benefits of working for a Government Department were very good with a good pension
Pros
Good Pension
Cons
Very good stress free environment
A stress free environment with easy to get along with people.

I learnt organisation skills that I will take with me to my next employer

The hardest part was that sometimes there wasn't enough work during the day to keep you fully busy
Do not work for
Do not work for there bullies and they do nothing to help you unless it helps them. If you a temp you get treated even worse. You can get a better job else where and much much much more opportunity to climb the ladder somewhere else. Iv worked for them for 11 years and now I'm leaving as it gets so bad u feel mentally depressed. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM
Un-inspiring experience.
More concerned with meeting selection diversity, than work output and effectiveness! Nothing else can be said. Management regime which has huge underlying prejudices and conflicting interests. In summary, ineffectual and very inefficient. I had to keep on asking for more work. No potential to increase income. No overtime. In fact, they encourage buying more holiday!
Disappointing
I was so happy when I was offered a job at Bristol. 18 months after there was the first reorganisation - I had to reapply for my job and it went to a younger male colleague who was far less experienced and qualified. I was seconded to another role for one year; a role I hated and below my capabilities. I was at risk of redundancy again and moved to a job where I was bullied. I resigned.
Pros
Local government conditions
Cons
Bullying by Councillors and unfriendly workplace
Typical day- changeable
What I learnt- There are many processes

Work place culture- collaborative, respectful, communicative

Hardest part of the job- Balancing risk

The most enjoyable part of the job- working within a supportive team.
Challenging
Typical day was working with stakeholders to find an automation tool for their Salesforce CRM software. In addition to developing a plan for the production of a Regression pack for the app.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bristol City Council?
Work package flexi time, holidays, sick leave etc excellent
My criticism is the workplace culture. Management is weak and has no backbone. Not interested in staff whatsoever only covering their own back. Willing to lie as necessary to protect themselves and very dishonest. They fail to deal with bad behaviour amongst their own kind (supervisor) and management stick together and lie accordingly to protect each other. Even lie to Personnel if necessary to cover their own failings when failed to deal with problem straightaway, even when witnessed. When Personnel asked why not dealt with straightaway at meeting, manager replied that I had asked them not to and keep confidential. Even forge sickness record and lie about why someone absent eg put down stress (not work related) when indeed it was work related!

This happened to me in Housing Planned Programmes. I returned to work on the first occasion but happened again later on as problem with supervisor not resolved. Out with work related stress again and unable to return this time as all trust destroyed by management. I was dismissed (after over 20 years service!),
I was a contractor working for Bristol City
Stessful because of the nature of the job assessing Housing Benefit, stressful becasue of the open emity from one or 2 members of the work force, stressful because you neverjnew how long the job would go.
Relaxed becase on the whole wonderful people to work for, management were appraocable, and protected me when they realised the issue. Work Life balance - I worked from home and loved coming into Bristol to work prior to that.
Changes over the years
Loved working with Bristol City Council up to the last couple of years when the council decided to close all the residential homes. Management changed which at the time I felt weren’t all for the best and the residents in the homes were forgotten by higher management whilst the home closure process was happening. Treatment of excellent experienced staff was appalling and hundreds of Staff were made redundant.
Pros
Caring for people with dementia
Cons
Choices made by higher management
Awful
The managers are awful especially in the rents department. They are racist and do not care about staff wellbeing. I worked there for just short of 2 years. I went through a difficult time loosing a few family member in the same month and they told me not to come back because i wasnt fit to work. They pile a lot of work and stress on to you and if you dont get it done each week they will sack on. This resulted in me working 7-7 and not getting paid any over time. My manager used to always just put basic hours on my timesheet despite all the extra i worked. I would never work there again - very hostile environment and not a nice place to work
My Experience as a Domestic Cleaner
On a typical day, I sign my name and i take a key and begin vacumming all the rooms.I Also wipe the tables and i proceed to clean the toliets on a daily basis.
I went as agency, the training was minimal and not consistent
I went as agency, the actual training was minimal although they did let me shadow - very useful. The training was not consistent and some of it (IT related) did not function. The actual team members were mostly lovely although I did feel that ‘my face did not fit’. On the whole I did feel unwelcome
Workshop leader
I enjoyed working as a Dance workshop leader in secondary school with Bristol city council and as a ABA VP therapist is both roles I learnt many new skills.
Great
Great company to work for, with great benefits, company vehicle, uniform provided, holiday pay, sick pay, good salary, I’m leaving as I am relocating.
Cliquey department
Department has a high turnover of staff, and managers who are unprofessional. I am glad I transferred. I've noticed other negative reviews for this department on here, so it wasn't just me.
Bristol City Council
Temping for 15 months in temple street. really good people I worked with. Pity work went through transformation. Wanted to stay with them.

Really enjoyed working with the Director. Good people to work with
Management is great!
As long as you do your job right! There’s no issues with management as they are great!

Work environment is good and safe.

It can be challenging at most times especially with Residents because they get very aggressive! So keeping calm is the best thing.
Going through redundancy period due to budget reductions. Not a pleasent experience
Mangerment was not leading.
Too much red tape to cut through which hindered repairs being issued and in turn provided a poor service to the residents Surveyors worked hard to achieve their goals and engaged with the residents but were let down with delays in works being authorised and issued. All members of staff worried about redundancies, future employment
Excellent working conditions
Great offices. Nice shop on ground floor for food-can be a bit pricey but good quality stuff.

Since you can work at any desk can be more difficult to know people.

Lots going on- you hear bits only.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bristol City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Bristol City Council Reviews by Location