Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
not much to say as i work as bank staff only, the experience working in BSUH is good specially with A&E , AAU and other wards that will give you chance to gain your knowledge in healthcare professional
worked in decontamination unit in Haywards Heath and left after several years due to the new management who spent more time flirting with the young female staff and stuck up for staff who licked his ego to get what they wanted rather than the hard working techs and certain supervisors. If your face fitted with the new management you were ok otherwise you were made to feel like an outcast and your working day became unbearable .Would not recommend working in that unit
Pros
Cons
back stabbing management and staff
I loved working here. Staff were amazing. Managers supportive. Downsides were the cost of living being so high and the wages not being enough to support a small family. Its a shame cuase it is such a nice place to work. Limited progression also due to budget cuts etc.
I shadowed physiotherapists in the workplace. This involved looking at the different types of physiotherapy. I had a great experience and it helped give me a real insight into the role.
I've never worked at a place where the level of discrimination is so bad. Their motto should be: it's not what you know, but who you know.

The management in some departments is a joke, as they make such illogical decisions.

It's been well documented in the news about the low pay rises within the nhs, which are now around minimum wage levels.
Pros
There are different departments to work in.
Cons
Bad management. Discrimination in the work place. Low salary.
I love the work I do and I am lucky in the fact the staff are friendly and we all bond and support each other.

I do feel however that the wages and lack of pay rises over the last 10yrs are not in line with inflation so it feels like my wages have to stretch more and more each year. This makes us feel under valued. It shouldn’t take for our unions to fight our cause and go on petitions and striking. The Management of the BSUH should apply and fight for our pay rise as we rightly deserve. The recent deceptive pay rise is an insult considering the years we have gone without.

However despite how undervalued the government has made us feel I can’t deny I have loved most of my working experience. Caring for patients is priceless and it’s that satisfaction of making a difference to their days that keep me staying in my job.

Sadly it is very understaffed and gone are the days where you have time to sit and talk to the patients.

It’s a case of catching conversation whilst doing personal care.
Pros
Job Security, chance to progress, pension.
Cons
Poorly Paid, understaffed
A typical day will include, washes, obs, meds, ward rounds, handovers, meetings, bleeps, admitting and discharging patients, medical emergencies, supporting junior staff, talking with relatives
Pros
Good management
Cons
Lack of staff, under appreciated
This role was the beginning of my pmo career. it was the most difficult experience job. I learnt so many things as a beginner. Nice staff, well organised boards
Don't get me wrong, there are great managers here but a lot of the senior management and project people who essentially have all workers at their mercy with the building works do not consult or think about what the staff actually have to do on a daily basis during these building works and the HR department have consistently been the worst I have ever known for at least 4 years, losing people's CRB forms and copies of ID and the usual start date from being offered a job is about 3 months even if you are unemployed and waiting to start. There's lots of opportunity for movement once you're in but too many people are treated badly here. If you have complaints or safety concerns about your working environment, you will not be taken seriously unless you have photographic evidence and have complained many times.
Pros
Some great colleagues and great work
Cons
staff not listened to
Loved being on the ward, met a lot of lovely people and seemed to provide a helpful hand. Learnt many things and even shadowed a doctor at on point, however because all of the midwife staff were so stretched, a lot of the time I felt like i wasn't even recognised or valued, which was a shame.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust?
I am experienced and responsible and am great at time management and prioritisation.

I take pride in my work and set myself exceptionally high standards.
This Trust has two teaching hospital sites. One is in Brighton and the other is in Haywards Heath. They provide training and courses for newly hired staff.
Pros
annual leave
Cons
Staffing issues
Can't say I really enjoy the job anymore, too many managers and not enough working staff. Not very understanding about mental health issues which I have been struggling for over 2 years with.
Cons
Low pay rate
Lovely staff and colleagues who go the extra mile. Challenging workloads with opportunity to increase CPD to affect positive change and add value. And it's by the sea!
The staff and teams within the hospital are woking hard to achieve a high standard of healthcare but the difficulties facing the NHS are evident within this hospital trust.

Underfunding and a history of poor use of available funds have left the Brighton located Royal Sussex County Hospital facing almost crisis levels of difficulty in recent years. The buildings are unfit for purpose so it is with great relief to know work has started on building the new hospital at this site.

As an employee there is very little scope for advancement within the hospital and in many cases it was more a case of 'who you know'.

This reads as very negative but it is worth reiterating that staff on the frontlines work tirelessly to provide patients with a high level of care and teams both clinical and non-clinical would be pulling together every day to ensure this.
Pros
Strong sense of teamwork
Cons
Little room for advancement, historic failings at a management level
I enjoy my job within the trust , it does need some improvements . They are currently building new wards as old building built 18 hundreds . More staff and better pay much needed
Pros
Cons
Higher management need to see what pressures staff truly under
All the staff is hard working and they try to do their best with limited resources and staff. Requires more support from upper management.
A pleasant place to work, effective management and part of a lovely team. The hardest part of the job is having to work under sometimes extreme pressure. The most enjoyable part is the relationship you can make with your colleagues.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
stressful at times