Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

life changing job
Administrative & HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 June 2018
This role was the beginning of my pmo career. it was the most difficult experience job. I learnt so many things as a beginner. Nice staff, well organised boards
Good people, bad upper and middle management
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  County10 January 2018
Don't get me wrong, there are great managers here but a lot of the senior management and project people who essentially have all workers at their mercy with the building works do not consult or think about what the staff actually have to do on a daily basis during these building works and the HR department have consistently been the worst I have ever known for at least 4 years, losing people's CRB forms and copies of ID and the usual start date from being offered a job is about 3 months even if you are unemployed and waiting to start. There's lots of opportunity for movement once you're in but too many people are treated badly here. If you have complaints or safety concerns about your working environment, you will not be taken seriously unless you have photographic evidence and have complained many times.
Pros
Some great colleagues and great work
Cons
staff not listened to
rewarding
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton4 January 2018
Loved being on the ward, met a lot of lovely people and seemed to provide a helpful hand. Learnt many things and even shadowed a doctor at on point, however because all of the midwife staff were so stretched, a lot of the time I felt like i wasn't even recognised or valued, which was a shame.
Steady, challenging and interesting
PA & Rota Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Brighton15 October 2017
I am experienced and responsible and am great at time management and prioritisation.

I take pride in my work and set myself exceptionally high standards.
Good place to learn
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Haywards Heath, West Sussex31 July 2017
This Trust has two teaching hospital sites. One is in Brighton and the other is in Haywards Heath. They provide training and courses for newly hired staff.
Pros
annual leave
Cons
Staffing issues
Understaffed
Porter (Current Employee) –  Haywards Heath20 July 2017
Can't say I really enjoy the job anymore, too many managers and not enough working staff. Not very understanding about mental health issues which I have been struggling for over 2 years with.
Cons
Low pay rate
Acute Care Provider
Systems Support & Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton17 July 2017
Lovely staff and colleagues who go the extra mile. Challenging workloads with opportunity to increase CPD to affect positive change and add value. And it's by the sea!
NHS difficulties apparent
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 June 2017
The staff and teams within the hospital are woking hard to achieve a high standard of healthcare but the difficulties facing the NHS are evident within this hospital trust.

Underfunding and a history of poor use of available funds have left the Brighton located Royal Sussex County Hospital facing almost crisis levels of difficulty in recent years. The buildings are unfit for purpose so it is with great relief to know work has started on building the new hospital at this site.

As an employee there is very little scope for advancement within the hospital and in many cases it was more a case of 'who you know'.

This reads as very negative but it is worth reiterating that staff on the frontlines work tirelessly to provide patients with a high level of care and teams both clinical and non-clinical would be pulling together every day to ensure this.
Pros
Strong sense of teamwork
Cons
Little room for advancement, historic failings at a management level
Enjoy working with our more mature generation
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex18 May 2017
I enjoy my job within the trust , it does need some improvements . They are currently building new wards as old building built 18 hundreds . More staff and better pay much needed
Pros
Cons
Higher management need to see what pressures staff truly under
Requires a lot of improvement
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex28 January 2017
All the staff is hard working and they try to do their best with limited resources and staff. Requires more support from upper management.
Lovely staff/colleagues
Ward Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 November 2016
A pleasant place to work, effective management and part of a lovely team. The hardest part of the job is having to work under sometimes extreme pressure. The most enjoyable part is the relationship you can make with your colleagues.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
stressful at times